Old 08-21-2005, 08:40 AM   #46  

Wow, you guys are just awesome! I love these little reminders of why all this hard work is sooooo worth it! Keep it up!

And Laura, don't be discouraged if nobody notices right away. I remember going to a family Thanksgiving get together after having lost approx. 60 lbs. and no one noticed (or at least mentioned) a thing! That was hard for me, but I didn't let it slow me down, cause I was doing this for me, regardless of what anyone else thought! So, have fun at the b-day party and enjoy yourself! And remember, beware of the cake!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:55 PM   #47  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Default Fishin' for Flattery!

There's some great stuff here. Well done, everyone!

FINALLY, after dropping 40 lbs, I've had my first unsolicited comment and I'm chuffed to bits! I met my MIL and FIL for the first time back in March when we flew out east. I was at my heaviest. This morning when I was making coffee, FIL says, "You're looking real good, eh. You've been losing some weight, I see.". Ooh, it felt good! I hadn't realised I was so vain!
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 02:32 PM   #48  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I met up with a friend I've not seen for a few months. I think I'd mentioned I'd been losing weight, but not too much detail. I was wearing a denim mini skirt and as she walked over the meet me I could just see her staring at my legs (in a good, where on earth did those come from, sort of way). She didn't need to say anything, the look on her face was priceless.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 10:13 PM   #49  

We took the kids to their first baseball game Friday night. DH was able to get the skybox tickets that his company has and I knew that food would be provided. I don't give a hoot about baseball - but the food at a game? Yeah, I've always liked that part. So, I made allowances during the day and ate something light but filling before we left. My plan was to be able to enjoy a hot dog or something guilt free. Well, what do you know we got there and I helped the kids make their plates - hot dogs, chicken strips, chips, dip, brownies, all the usual party type stuff. And it hit me. None of it even appealed to me anymore. It didn't seem gross or anything it just didn't seem worth eating. Really, a year ago I would have stopped just short of pulling a chair up to the buffet. And, it occured to me that even back then I wouldn't have been eating that crap because it was especially delicious. No, I would have stuffed myself because it was there and didn't taste BAD.

I was just really surprised at how ingrained these changes that I've made are now. I'm not saying that I'll never indulge or make a rotten food choice again - I will, I DO. But it is somehow comforting to know that, for the very most part, my "new normal" is now just plain old normal even if I don't always expect it to be.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:19 PM   #50  
Crazy Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawsmom
Really, a year ago I would have stopped just short of pulling a chair up to the buffet.
Oh, I hear ya sister! for changing your ways!

I was going to ask if the MIL & FIL had noticed your big change, Ali. Thanks for answering in advance.

Great NSV's for this month, people ~ I'm reading them all with a big on my face!
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:19 AM   #51  

Gosh, I never really paid much attentionto non-scale victories. Thanks to this thread I can't stop noticing them! So, here's one I am particularly proud of.

My kids are WILLINGLY eating healthier. In fact, they have started turning down the treats that I occasionally offer them. My 1st grader comes home to report that other kids' lunches aren't as nutritious as his (he specifically mentions kids with lunchables, lots of sweets, etc.). The best part is that he recognizes the difference on his own. All three of them are trying new fruits and vegetables. Okay, okay, they very rarely actually LIKE them but they are TRYING them. They've stopped asking to go to McDonalds every time we drive by one (what's that, like every two blocks or so? LOL). They are only 6 and 4 so it isn't like they are diet fanatics or anything. And they are still kids they'd probably still choose cheetos over carrots. Still, my healtheir habits seem to be making an impact on them and I am proud for having passed that knowledge on to them. Plus, as sad as it is, I am one of the few parents on the block that doesn't have to FORCE her kids to go outside and play (well, sometimes I do but it is August and we are in Mississippi - somedays it is hard to breath out there in the heat). They are following my lead on how important exercise is and realize that it should be FUN.

70 pounds ago one of my biggest fears - and motivators - was that I didn't want my children to live sedentary, unhealthy, lives because they followed in my footsteps. They are all fit and trim and I feel good knowing that I've done everything possible to make certain they stay that way. YAY!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:35 AM   #52  

Congrats all!

Jawsmom - that is a great motivator...making sure that your kids never have to live an unhealthy lifestyle! Sounds like your healty lifestyle is having a BIG impact! I don't have any children (yet!), but that was certainly a motivating factor for me....I want to be able to set a good example and ensure an active, healthy life for my (future) kids. Hopefully by the time we get to having a family, it will be second nature!
looosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:03 PM   #53  

Oh Jawsmom, that is fabulous!! Just think, what you are doing right now is actually breaking the cycle for your children. One of my biggest hopes is that I will be able to do the same for my dd. I never want her to have to suffer the ridicule of being "the fat girl" like I did. Although we may not be able to stop it from happening, at least we can arm them with the tools of knowledge about healthy eating and exercise so they'll be better equipped to make good decisions about their own healthier lifestyles. That really is fantastic news Jawsmom, and it certainly gives me hope about the example I'm now setting for my own dd. Thank you for sharing!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:02 PM   #54  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Jawsmom, your NSV especially made me smile because your changes are spilling over into the lives of your kids. That's so great! Every time I see an obese child, something inside me just dies a little...I remember how awful it was to be one.

Howie and I had an interesting NSV today. We went looking at some shoes and both of us were able to go down a size in shoes! Actually, he used to wear 13 extra-wide shoes because his feet were so wide, and now he can wear 10 wide. I wore 11's and can now wear 10 in many styles. I am looking for a pair of low heels...Teetered around on some truly luscious stiletto's today, and while Howie and I both liked the look, I know I'd end up with a torn ligament in no time (been there, done that, wearing low heels!).
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:30 PM   #55  
2006 - Panda Remix

Oh my gosh, you'll never guess what I did! I RAN on the treadmill for the first time! I feel so great! I have been feeling the urge to try to run for a while, but the critical fat girl within me has been saying ' no, you're still far too fat, you'll only make a fool of yourself'. But yesterday the gym was pretty quiet, so I just gave it a go. I ran for 4 minutes, then walked for a bit, then ran another 2 minutes before the stitch got me! I know it's not much, but it has completely broken down yet another personal myth of what I can and can't do and my confidence has yet again soared.

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:27 PM   #56  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Here is one that I never really thought about. I always had to wear a size 13 shoe so I could get it wide enough. I thought maybe I could go to a size 12 but I bought a pair of size 10s today. It is really strage to look down and see my feet in size 10's. Hmmm that reminds me of song a friend of mind wrote. Called size 10s. Anyway this is just really something. XL shirt size 42 pants and size 10 shoes. I really feel like a completly different person now. This is just strange.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:31 PM   #57  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Guess I shoud have read above kimberley beat me to the line here. Oh well.

That's great Amanda. Good for you. Great victorys everyone and Jawsmom that is awesome about the kids. That ought to really keep you going. They just have little spunges for brains and soak up everything we do. Good for you for setting a good example.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:47 PM   #58  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
I really feel like a completly different person now.
I'll say he does! Oh, don't think that's quite what he meant.

We joke around about feeling like we're cheating on our spouses, so different do we feel to one another. There are collarbones, shoulder blades...Who IS this man, and what has he done with my husband??

Love you, H!
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:08 PM   #59  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I'll say he does! Oh, don't think that's quite what he meant.

We joke around about feeling like we're cheating on our spouses, so different do we feel to one another. There are collarbones, shoulder blades...Who IS this man, and what has he done with my husband??
Y'all are so cute. You crack me up.
JuliaTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:05 AM   #60  
Laura

Jawsmom ~ I know what you mean! One of my huge motivating factors was doing this for my kids too. My DD and I (she'll be 4 tomorrow! ) talk about healthy snacks and "sometimes" snacks. Last week, we all went to the store together and my husband insisted on buying some Cap'n Crunch - a few days later, my DD asked for some for breakfast and I told her it wasn't a healthy breakfast but she could have some as a treat after dinner if she wanted. The next day when hubby went to have a bowl of cereal, DD proudly piped up and admonished, "DADDY! That is NOT a healthy snack!!!" It was great!
alphabetsoup is offline   Reply With Quote