Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 12:21 AM   #406  
thinks she can

S/C/G: 321/266.1/170

Height: 5'9"

Hi everyone! I hope you're all doing well. It's been a really good couple of weeks for me and I'm going to share it all.

I've stayed on plan and have begun working out regularly. I ordered some new workout clothes online a few weeks ago and they arrived on Friday. I haven't had a chance to try them out in the gym, but they feel so, so much better than what I had been wearing. I had been wearing a size 4x t-shirt that I was drowning in and some thick, long polyester blend workout pants. I was sweating to death and really uncomfortable in the clothes. Now I've got some 2x tshirts and knit capris. The t-shirts are a big snug on the arms, but that's fine. I can move in them and I'm not losing myself in fabric.

I'm developing a sort of banking attitude (for lack of a better way to put it) towards my food. About once a week I find I go slightly off plan because I go out with friends or for work. No big deal - I balance out the few hundred calories I go over on one day with a few hundred calories less over the next few days and, at the end of the week, I'm right where I should be. I am also starting to think about food along the lines of... I'm hungry and only have so many calories left in my day so how can I get the most bang for those calories. Big, big changes in how I look at food and it feels good.

I've decided that I'm going to avoid the scale until the end of the month. I'm starting up my two week PMS bloating phase and just don't want to deal with the emotional ups and downs that come from weighing myself around this time. There's no longer any doubt in my mind that if I stay on plan and put one foot in front of the other on the treadmill, things will work out as they should on the scale.

Last edited by martini; 09-11-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #407  

Hi Martini

That's inner strength! Good for you!!!!! And yes you are right, one day and then another, and another...

Unfortunately I think I am addicted to weighing every day, but have become a little better at coping with the ups and downs. Have to say after the big M there are not as many swings in the monthly cycle.
I don't fret so much about the ups, but I must say a downward movement puts me in a great mood!!!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:15 AM   #408  
Made of Starstuff

Hi everyone!

Been reading and keeping up, just hadn't posted lately.

I'm thrilled to see people doing healthy things and really sticking with it!

It's getting cooler here now (opposite of you, MrsT! ), and I'm breathing a sigh of relief and contentment. I'm an "Autumn" person. I live in New England, so I get to witness dazzling tree changes, the beginning chill, the narrow winding roads lined with stone fences, and the general anticipation of many upcoming holidays/celebrations. I love this time of year.

Plus, I get to start bundling up in a cocoon of fabric, and then emerge in spring at a smaller size!

Keep well everyone!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #409  
thinks she can

Ooohh! That's such a beautiful image, Lovely! My sweater is no longer a sweater but a pupa!!

MrsTee - Hats off to you for being able to live with the highs and the lows! I can't do it, but I sure do admire those who can. And hurrah for Spring!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #410  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I am struggling. Between the pity for myself over this stupid tooth I had pulled and the emotional crap I'm trying to work through thanks to the Life is Hard book I don't know which is worse.

The dentist figures I will adjust easily enough to the giant whole in my mouth where my tooth is missing. I'm thinking though that it is bothering my enough that I'm going to have to fork over the money for a partial. Gah.

That stupid Life is Hard book is driving me nuts. I know I have a LOT of anger towards my father. I've been doing exactly what she talks about though in regards to stuffing it down with food. I'm trying to do her exercises and work through some of my issues but dang it is hard. I need to find a way to forgive and forget but I'm not quite there yet. Thinking about it so much has also been causing me to have some horrible dreams so I haven't been sleeping well either. More GAH.

The bright news is we might be buying another vehicle. DH has a 17 year old pickup that is on its last leg. He wanted a newer crew cab truck but isn't willing to pay what everyone is asking. So he is thinking maybe we should get a small SUV or something instead while he saves more down payment money for the truck he wants. I'll get the newer vehicle and he will drive my minivan. I'm going to get to pick the vehicle out so I guess I get to go start test driving today. It has been so long since I've gotten to choose what I want to drive instead of being forced into something because we needed something now and that is all that was available. I'm really looking forward to it.

I've been getting tons of activity but some of my less than stellar food choices have led to some gain over the last week. I will be accountable today and change my ticker. I don't like it though.

I love the cocoon reference. That is a great way to look at bundling up for the winter.

To everyone struggling - Hang in there and don't avoid us. Come here for support instead of looking for food.

To the rest of you still rocking the weight loss - Keep up the GREAT work.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #411  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Zinke, that inner work is the really tough thing to do. And it takes time. The complex layers of emotions to work through is the work of a lifetime. It would be so wonderful to divorce food from feelings! I'm still working on it, and I've been working on it for many years. Anger always seems to be the first one to work through. I often wonder if I'm ever going to be done with that one! Just take it one issue at a time.

Lovely, I'm an autumnal woman myself! And I love the imagery of later shedding the bulky sweaters to reveal a smaller version of ourselves. Over the weekend our temps bumped up against the 100s, and I'm hoping it was for the last time of the year. Temps are forecast in the mid 80s all week here and I can cut back on my power bill! Yippee!

I've been looking at the calories fiscally as well, Martini. Like my weekly budget. Unfortunately, I'm in debt after the weekend! Have to make some cutbacks this week. I worked at the local Greek Festival all weekend. I had great fun, reconnected with lots of old friends, danced for hours, sold spanakopita and tiropita eight hours a day for three days straight. I am too sore from standing and dancing and I'm conflicted about going to Pilates this morning. But despite all the activity, I gained two pounds! Did well with my eating the first two days, but yesterday the holiday mindset seized my appetite and I spent a lot of time working my way around the booths. It wasn't that I ate a lot of food, it was that they were all so rich! It was all Greek holiday food. Everything had butter and olive oil, cheeses upon cheeses. Even the traditional salad was covered with feta chuncks, olives and olive oil. (The dressing at the bottom of the bowl is the best part! Had to soak it all up with good Greek sesame bread!)

I wasn't even prepared to eat breakfast this morning...still too full! But I have started back at the juicing and had a glass of juiced apple, beets, carrots and chard. And I guess I'll shower now and at least get my Pilates pants on and my shoes, and get my mat in the car. I'll probably go, but really, my shoulders are aching from hauling giant pans of spanakopita out of the ovens, my back hurts from standing and shaking my booty all weekend. But I got a very cute belly dance scarf, black with silver coins all over it, and I'm dying to wear it to Pilates!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #412  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/159

Height: 5' 6"

Hi Everyone! I’m having trouble with the “script error” that is being posted about in the Announcement Forum. Frustrating! I’ve tried to catch up on the posts and hope I can post a reply before I get booted again.

Martini—I use that bank mentality, too—kind of like balancing a check book. Unless I’ve built up a slush fund, I can’t take any mad money. Doesn't always work that way, but it's the goal.

MrsTee—I weigh myself daily, too. Can’t get out of the habit. I avoided scales for such a long time, I feel it is part of my accountability to myself, but I agree with you—that upward fluctuation is hard to take.

Zinke—I’m so sorry you had to lose a tooth! I have the Life is Hard book, too, and it is super difficult to dig into your behaviors/thoughts. I had to set it aside. I’ll pick it back up soon. Sorry you had to change your ticker—I just did that a couple of weeks ago and it doesn’t feel good. But kudos to you for telling the truth. I was reading the forum and I saw someone’s Ticker had been sent to time out for lying—that made me laugh 

Lovely—I plan to shed my winter layers and reveal my smaller self in the Spring, too.

Georgia—the Greek festival sounds fun! Sorry you’re overdrawn on your calorie account. Hope you made it to Pilates and showed off your super-cute scarf!

Ditto Zinke who said "To the rest of you still rocking the weight loss - Keep up the GREAT work."
Old 09-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #413  

Hi all!! Nice to see you all back!

Oh I love autumn, In Melbourne we do get a bit more of a season change than in Sydney where I used to live. Spring here, and that is nice too. Blossoms in the tress, perfume in the air, baby ducks all about the damns in the golf course ( I live on a golf course) very pretty.

I fished out some shorts from 6 years ago when I lost weight, some fitted, some too tight, but still - I'm on the right track.

Question for you all. HEELs. At 300 lbs I could not wear heels, ( imagines on elephants in pink tutus and on heels comes to mind) other than very low block heels on work court shoes.
But I bought and wore a pair of low heels lets say 3 inches out to a presentatoin dinner the other day, wow, did I feel fancy....and taller!!!
So I bought a pair of sandal types for summer, I feel like they are 16 inches high ( actually 3) it's been so long since I wore heels...but its a nice feeling.
(I have size 12 feet not easy to find shoes for me either).
Tell me do you wear heels?
Old 09-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #414  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

No heels here. I buy shoes for comfort and comfort only. I've never found a pair that I could handle for more than an hour or two before I am slipping them off.

Calorie counter is open and I'm logging them all. I need to make a decision on whether I am going to renew that Life is Hard book and finish it or if I'm just going to send it back to the library. Usually I breeze right through books but doing the work is taking a LONG time.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #415  

S/C/G: 247.7/224.3/155

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone. I didn't read since my last post, just came to the current page. I hope everyone is doing well!

Martini, buying new workout clothes is awesome! I know you love that! Not only fit better, but they make you FEEL better. That alone does a lot! I hate weighing during my pms time, but do it every month. Nice thing is sooner or later it comes off.

MrsTee, I am a daily weigher too. LOL I also learned not to let it dictate my day/life, but on my low days, I am on top of the world.

Lovely, I am an Autumn person too. I love the cool air, and beautiful colors outdoors. Just lovely!

zinkemomx2, sorry to hear about your dental issues. I know that take a toll on you. Hope you get it fixed soon. Just know, in time you will work through your emotions, with your dad. It takes time. Just keep pushing forward, and take care of yourself. ((hugs))

Georgia, The Greek Festival sounds great. I am sure you were tired after that long day. The good thing is you got some exercise dancing all weekend. Your scarf sounds cute! Did you wear it to pilates?

I am doing good. Weighed in on Friday at 209.6 let the countdown begin! I can't wait to see onederland!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:15 AM   #416  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

Mrs Tee - I have size 12 feet so its hard for me to find shoes, I have a pair of chunky heels that I like that are easy to walk in but I am pretty much 6' tall so I feel like a girafe in heels. (Seriously I tower over most people in flats, add heels and I feel like a giant! all my friends are average heighted or shorter side of things).

I tend to avoid them, unless i'm feeling really confident, I already tower over most people I am surrounded with in flats!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #417  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

oh and I'm with Zinke on comfort I LIVE in Crosstrainers, (go Asics go!) live in! No dress code at work so Jeans and Crosstrainers are almost an every day occurance! Yeah!
Old 09-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #418  
thinks she can

This has been in my head for a few days now and I think it's finally time to say it. Thank you all for being part of this forum. Living in Asia has been weird and isolating and losing weight has been the freaky cherry on top of a seriously messed up sundae. Getting to know you all and being able to share some of the ups and downs with you has meant so, so, so much. You may never fully appreciate it, but you've all been a lifeline for me.

Moving right along...

Zinke - This is hard work that you're doing. It's important, but it's hard.

Georgia - I so love your laughing, Greek festival, dancing, scarf wearing, juicing, celebrating self! If that isn't a lesson in living I don't know what is.

MrsTee - Nope. Can't wear heels. I love them, but I'm now scared of them given all the miserable experiences I've had in them. When I get into onederland one of my goals is to get a pair of heels and see if they work better then. Another onederland goal is to start running. But not in heels.

TransformingMyself - OMG!!! Onederland is in sight!!! Woot!!!!

I broke down and weighed myself. It had been a week since my last weigh-in and I had conveniently "forgotten" my fear of PMS bloating. The good news - I'm down 2.6lb for the week! Hurrah for gym memberships!

Last edited by martini; 09-14-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #419  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Still experiencing issues with 3FC, but it seems to be working at the moment...

I wear heels more now than I did 55 lbs ago. I don't live in them, but I wear them. My feet are size 11 W. 55 lbs ago they were WW, but even my feet have lost some padding. I've had some problems with finding cute shoes at my size, but then I found Zappos.com and have been finding shoes that are both pretty and they fit. And are even comfortable, but it does take some practice. I like the SoftSpots brand, lots of padding in the insoles and the heels aren't usually too thin but also not too chunky and utililitarian either.

Boots are my next thing. A few years ago I had to find the boots with the widest shank, but they were way too big at the end of winter last year so I took them to GoodWill. It doesn't get cold enough where I live to warrant buying another pair of boots, but I want them so! I have a gorgeous wrap dress for fall that I've been waiting to wear and it would look awesome with boots.

Pilates was so good to me yesterday. I had a private session with my trainer. Tomorrow is farmer's market and she asked me to come along and pass out fliers with her. Said she was proud to show me off as one of her students. That felt good to hear! First time anyone ever said anything like that about my physical condition!

Transform...you have lived up to your name! Awesome progress!

Martini - been there, felt that, so happy to be here for you girlfriend! Indonesians just loved pointing and laughing at me and it was a real struggle to keep from hiding in my house and never going out. Having the right support system is important to develop for yourself. I know it kept me from squishing some of those little people some days!

Okay, I am off to get a kid out of bed. Cruel joke on me, not a morning person, having to get someone else out of bed who is fully capable of sleeping till noon if I let him!
Old 09-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #420  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Oh, the subject of clothing. I have been working from home and taking care of kids for the past three years, and somewhere along the way I stopped buying myself clothes. I live in pajamas and when I go out I have to dig through piles of PJs to find "real" clothes that still fit. It's horrible! I keep saying I will buy new clothes when I am smaller, but hubby keeps pushing me to just go buy clothes now. he doesn't mind my PJ wardrobe, but gets tired of hearing me complain i can't find anything to wear when I have to get dressed and go out.

I have really just let myself go and feel sad when I look in the mirror. I love my job, but it has done horrible things for me
Closed Thread