Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #271  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

It's just after 3 pm. I just finished a late lunch, and I have no calories left for the day! I want to coast into an early bedtime. I'll let you know if I made it.

I'm trying to cut fats right now. Before I started counting macros, I think I'd eat probably well over 200gm of fat a day. I don't have a sweet tooth, I have a fat tooth. I'm struggling to get it below 100 gm a day. In fact, I'm shooting for 70 gm. Over time, there have been things I've cut out of my diet that helped me cut fat and calories. But now I'm getting down to the basics. And I'm one of those people who doesn't believe in low or non-fat fake food. In order to cut fat grams even more, I have to cut the portions.

Fats I can reduce include: half-and-half (a big splash in my coffee), avocados (I like to eat the whole thing!), olive oil (no, I don't really measure, I eyeball it), nuts (two to three handfuls, please), mayonnaise (heaping tablespoons, every time), cheese (2 oz. minimum) and eggs. How I'm cutting portions: stop drinking coffee (well, still working on that...down to 1 big cup with 2 Tbs. half-and-half), half an avocado on my salad, one handful of nuts measured out, no mayo because I'm not eating sandwiches any more (cut out bread), 1 oz. cheese twice a week, and a whole egg scrambled with egg whites. I also eat meat, but it's always grilled, as lean as possible.

There, I wrote it out and have sent it out to you all. So now I have to stick to it! I appreciate being accountable to all of you.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #272  

OHHHHH Martini - you and I have MUCH in common - don't get me wrong - I did not rush back home and commence a weight loss programme post haste, rather I said to my daughter " love I don't care much either way - that woman is not important in my life - if she feels better about herself looking down at me so be it" and honestly I meant it.
When I say it went into the BACK of my mind I mean it. That incident is probably 3 years ago now - it just sat back there for a long while, but added to the overall feeling that I needed/wanted to change the way the world looks at me.
I also coach netball ( very popular womans sport here) at an elite level and notice that people do not take me nearly as seriously as a fat coach?

Ok - but having said all of that - I suppose what I am saying is I want R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!! At my age I don't need to be admired for my beauty, I have a loving husband who says I love you at every weight, but I DO want to world NOT to look at me like that lady did in the Braaahhton cafe..

Ok enough deep and meaningful...........

Georgia - at least some of those fats ate "good fats" nuts avos?

Zinke - ouch - yep innocent comment but certainly not one I'd be happy about! Good for you for not eating an entire packet of chocolate biscuits after that.

Hi lovely and larry - also like the term undergrowing !!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #273  
Optimistic.

S/C/G: Inches: 47"/44.25"/37"

Height: 5'4"

Zinke- my family is also trying to work on downsizing our holiday cooking portions. Thats hard here in the south!

Martini & MrsTee- I am also familiar with "the look".

I started exercising today! Started with a 2 mile walk...not too bad. I stayed on plan today even with eating at a chinese buffet (my mothers request). I stayed away from the rice, noodles and eggrolls and mostly ate the salad, fruit, cooked veggies and meats that weren't fried.

Thankfully, my husband chose frozen yogurt instead of cake for his birthday today.

Guess we'll see what the scale says in the morn!

Last edited by shalyn; 08-15-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #274  
Walking the Journey

S/C/G: 307/ticker/175

Height: 5'7

Me too, Geo, Me too! I LOVE creamy.

Some of those SHOULD be allowed. Like I SHOULD be allowed to have some damn half and half in my 1 cup of coffee that I've scaled down to from the previous 4 or 5 WITH creamer. And I should be able to eat an avocado. daily. Heck, with each meal even. The whole thing. In a big squishy green ball. It comes from a TREE. It's PLANT. That's healthy right?!?

Stinkin Fat Tooth!

-Kiki

PS if that FREAKING SCALE doesn't move this week, I'm going to... do something rash to it. I don't think it's fair to have a woosh your first week and then hang out the same for 3. I call BS! I'm working too hard for that. And it would mean, for sure, that it was my Fat tooth's fault. and not to whine or anything but <whine>: I HATE That answer!!!!

Last edited by Wyllowbelle; 08-15-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:31 AM   #275  
thinks she can

S/C/G: 321/266.1/170

Height: 5'9"

Lovely - When I'm in the elevator at work and surrounded by women who are a foot shorter than I am and weigh less than 100lbs, I start thinking to myself "I will crush you all!!" and pantomiming Godzilla in my head!

Georgia - Ok. You're accountable. No going back now!

Shalyn - Wow! Chinese buffets are hard!! I just wouldn't have gone. Amazing job staying on plan!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:52 AM   #276  
Renaissance Woman

I'm frustrated, again. Cutting fatty proteins and fat seems to lead me to craving/eating more startchy carbs, and now I'm excessively bloated. Aaaaauuuuggghhh!!!

But I'm actually sleepy at a normal hour, so I'm going to bed know.

Buonanotte mie bellezze!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #277  
Made of Starstuff

Zinke - This time is different. One day at a time we're retraining our minds and bodies. Permanent changes. You will have no need for those clothes once you get rid of them! Unless you wanted to cut them up for dust rags! And ouch on the comment >_<

Georgia - Keep going on with that normal sleeping schedule! A question about the cutting fat... how is that going to work with your balance of calories? I'm curious, because if your fat used to be up towards 200g and now you're cutting it back to under 100g... are you replacing the calories with other things? (Forgive my mental math) A gram of fat has 9 calories and that means you're cutting out... 900 calories from fat. Where are those other calories going to come from? I'm just thinking that may be a reason why your body is craving starchy carbs. It isn't getting fat, so it's hoping to make up for it in some other manner. Again, just fiddling around with it!

Martini
- Cracked me up! Least you have no problems reaching the top shelf there, either!

MrsT
-

Shalyn - WAY TO GO on the exercise!!!! SO nice

Kiki
- It'll move. It'll move. Give it time. That darn piece of plastic is so mean sometimes. >_<

I completely crashed last night. Sleep for a long, long time. Woke up this morning and feel pretty good, and...well.. definitely well rested!

My brother is coming to visit in less than a week, so I'd best get crackin' on the rest of the cleaning.

I'm a little annoyed, that I just finished getting most of the laundry mess in order... but now that I'm trying to keep after it and keep it from piling up the laundry machine downstairs breaks -_-

At least I got everything else washed before it broke, so hopefully it won't pile up too long before it gets fixed. *crosses fingers*

It's looking to be a nice day out, so I may keep the windows open and let the air blow through!

Keep strong everyone!

Last edited by Lovely; 08-17-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #278  
Renaissance Woman

Yes, Lovely, I think you're right. This fat cutting has caused me to gain several pounds and my hands are still puffy this morning.

I may have to do a lot more cardio instead of cut calories. I was doing seated rowing for 40 minutes once a day, but I may increase it to three times a day. I means moving the rower inside the house for the summer. So not pretty in my living room!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #279  
Walking the Journey

S/C/G: 307/ticker/175

Height: 5'7

no gain. no loss. I am exactly the same this week at WI as I was last week. and the week before.

Stupid *()*^&**()(* scale.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #280  

Oh tough Wyllow - agreed - the scaly monster is cruel and unreasonable....
As we know us generously sized lasses, it's a marathon not a sprint but its so demoralising not to see a bit of movement in the monster...
Hang in there Wyllow!!

Having said that - last night I only had a bowl of homemade chicken soup and not the roast chicken dinner my family had just to drop a bit of water weight overnight so the scale moved this morning's weekly weigh in. Dumb I know, but it is SO good to see a lower number on the monster...and I know that having a low cal day every now and again seems to jolt the scale into some movement ( for me anyway).

I can post a 1.3 kilo loss this week, happy with that.

Georgia, some of what you are eating is "good" fat? Do you think you were eating too much of it? Just curious....

Hi to Lovely - your brother coming - does he come alone or with a whoole tribe with him? Lots more nice food/cooking to do?
Hi Shalyn and Martini!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #281  
Started IP 8/20/14

S/C/G: HW292/SW284/CW284/GW200

Height: 5'8"

Hey gang, I'm a newbie around here. I have a long road to get out of the 200's, but I'm bound and determined to stick with it, this time.

A little about me ... I've been working a serious lifestyle change since June 9th and have seen mediocre results on the scale. I feel like with how much I have to lose, weight should be melting away, not trickling away. LOL ... so yes, the scale also hates me as well.

Anyway, I'm here to chat, and get/give support. Most of the people in my life are thin and have always been thin, so while they support my weight loss, I feel they just don't "get it."

I agree with those of you who said you've thrown away the "fat clothes" ... I cannot wait to get rid of them. I am strongly considering tossing my summer clothes at the end of the season ... because next year, there's no way I'll be still wearing a size 20-22.

Thanks for letting me chime in.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #282  
thinks she can

Georgia - Blah to puffy fingers. Why did you decide to cut fats? Was this part of a broader effort to cut calories or did you decide that you just wanted a lower fat diet? Maybe I'm just too permissive in my attitudes towards eating, but my thinking has been, "if it fits in my daily calorie allowance, it works." I'll be sure to let everyone know how my 1,400 calories of bacon day goes.

Lovely - There's something to be said about finding one's zen in cleaning. Have fun!

MrsTee - OMG 1.3 kg!! That's sooooooo awesome!! That's more than 3 times what you lost last week!! Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!! I'm soooooooo happy for you!!!!!!!

Willow - Stupid scale!

Pghgal - Hi! Welcome!

Right now I'm plodding along. I'm staying on plan and going with the highs and lows. Over the weekend I couldn't stop touching my fat and checking out how things are changing. I got over that after a few days and am now back to simply putting one foot in front of the other.

I've been feeling super fat and puffy over the past two days, but that's either got to be water retention or something in my head. I refuse to believe that it's possible to gain weight when I'm sticking to plan!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #283  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

Evening everyone

Georgia - I'm with the others. If you were feeling good and still losing with a higher fat diet I say go with it. As long as you are still meeting minimums elsewhere in your diet I see no problem with it. (I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on the internet.)

Welcome Pghgal! You've lost 21lbs in 9'ish weeks according to your ticker. That is nothing to be ashamed of.

MrsTee - I would gladly take homemade chicken noodle soup over roast chicken dinner. Now that you mention it I might just have to make some this week. I could either try my hand at homemade noodles or use rice. I've already made my big shopping trip to the grocery store and I'm not taking the kids back in there.

Wyllowbelle - Keep doing the right things and your body will catch up. I know it is hard.

Lovely - Hopefully you can get the washer fixed soon. We are a family of four and we can easily do a load or two a day. I don't know where it all comes from.

My day just got a whole lot better. I'm 150 calories under for the day so that made me happy. I also noticed that my belly is feeling particularly jiggly so I'm hoping for some inches lost soon.

Then this evening I decided to check my cholesterol. I'm a Rite Aid Wellness+ member and I just made silver status and they gave me a free A1C and a free cholesterol at home test. According to the cholesterol test my total cholesterol is only about 165 or so. I'm not entirely positive about how accurate that is but it is very possible. When I was 80% vegetarian a few years back it was down to 151. I'll get it checked again in May when I go in for my yearly exams.

Have a great night everyone and may the weights be lifted off your shoulders when you are standing on the scale tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #284  

I do like making soups Zinke - This chicken soup I use thighs on the bone - and I am careful to chill the stock to get the fat out of it as much as possible, and I don't use thickeners or rice or potatoes or pasta, so it really is pretty healthy. AND TASTY!

I'm waiting waiting waiting for someone to notice my weight loss...... I know the paper towel theory ( elsewhere on 3FC -in summary - when the roll is fat you can take a lot of sheets off and not notice, but when the roll is skinny, one or two sheets makes a difference)
BUT
I am wondering WHEN people might notice? Have people noticed your loss? About when?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #285  
thinks she can

People don't seem to be noticing my weight loss. Or, if they do, they're not talking about it. I actually prefer it that way. If others become the mirror through which I see myself then I'm focused on molding myself to accommodate them. If I can be my own judge of myself than I can stay focused on being the person **I** want to be.
Closed Thread