Old 09-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 310/281/160

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineTater View Post
I haven't told anyone. I just say how much I've lost...but only if I'm asked. When I get down to my husband's weight (he's 160 - and eats whatever he wants), I'll let him do the math.

My husband often describes people/football players like "He's a big ol' boy...I bet he runs 270." I cringe everytime he says it. I honestly think his has no clue that I'm obese.
I know what you mean about the husband has no idea you are obese...I think men - especially married men who want to remain sexually active - are so conditioned to not even THINK about the weight of their wives.

The really funny thing, my job is global and I work with many people in Eastern Europe and Asia, and you would be surprised how quickly they will ask you "What is your weight?" It makes me LOL sometimes and I think how freeing it must be to not have those barriers like we do in the US.
Gamecockgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #32  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockgrrl View Post
The really funny thing, my job is global and I work with many people in Eastern Europe and Asia, and you would be surprised how quickly they will ask you "What is your weight?" It makes me LOL sometimes and I think how freeing it must be to not have those barriers like we do in the US.
I lived in China for 4 years, and I cannot tell you how many times I was asked my weight. After the initial shock, I didn't mind the question, but that doesn't mean I answered it. I was a master of deflection!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #33  
Jeri

S/C/G: 286/142.6/150/new goal 140

Height: 5-4

My husband, my doctor, everyone at 3fc , and everyone on another website I frequent. IRL people though are only my husband and my doctor. I *do* tell people how much I've lost, if they ask, though.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #34  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

Everyone who sees my sig & weigh-ins here and on 2 other boards I frequent. Offline, hubby and the kids and a couple of friends, since hubby and I have our weigh-in sheet taped to the inside of our bathroom door.
mkat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 310/281/160

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMusic View Post
I lived in China for 4 years, and I cannot tell you how many times I was asked my weight. After the initial shock, I didn't mind the question, but that doesn't mean I answered it. I was a master of deflection!
I usually say I don't know how to convert to metric...lol.
Gamecockgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Height: 5'3"

I have always been open about my weight with my DH. He is very supportive and I knew he would never have one negative thing to say to me. My sisters, mother and 1 cousin knows. Plus everyone here.
burgundyrayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #37  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

Once I got under 200 I finally told my boyfriend. My mom knows too, my cousin, my PE teacher (perhaps anyone that saw it on the weight sheet I filled out, I don't really think I'm that big any more so I'm not ashamed of it.) Everyone here too, this place has helped me embrace my weight so much! It's a great feeling to not care about the number on the scale
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #38  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockgrrl View Post
I usually say I don't know how to convert to metric...lol.
That is TOTALLY one of the things I used to say! I would also say things like, "I think China and American use a different system," or I would have people guess, because they always guessed low and I told them they were "more or less" right. Sometimes I pretended I didn't understand Chinese (sad, but true - it's a very effective way to get out of awkward situations).

BTW, I went to UF in the late 90s, during the Spurrier era. I'll try not to hold it against you that you're a Gamecock fan. Go Gators!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #39  

Lots of people know. I try not to hide it! It's hard though.

ReitmansFatGirl
ReitmansFatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:13 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

I guess lots of people know how much I weigh but I don't actually talk about my weight much with anyone. I am so much more than my weight so I don't let it define me.

Now, people are starting to ask me how much I have lost, but other than my family, I just say "a few pounds but I hope to loose more".

Last edited by nancymae; 09-07-2010 at 05:19 AM.
nancymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:16 AM   #41  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Many years ago I told my husband, one of the most liberating things I ever did!
Now when people ask if I've lost weight, I just tell them "I'm condensing!"
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 252/235.6/150

Height: 5'5

The only people that know my weight are my mom, after MONTHS of nagging, my doctor, the woman at the gym who weighs me, and my best friend.
ubercast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #43  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

Most of my life, only God knew. When I went to the girly-parts doc, she knew... And now, its pretty much just you guys here!!

My BFF has a lot of health problems and some of her meds won't let her lose weight (even though she tries her darndest!).. So we give eachother ballparks, but I don't want to hurt her, so I always over-say. In the time I've lost my weight, she's lost something like 3 lbs, so... We always say "One day, in six years..." and then we crack up.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

1. 3fc (you heard it here first)
2. My husband (though I didn't tell him how high I'd been and was until I was more than halfway through my weightloss. The husband denial is so true. He even looked at the 'before' pic I'd put on our home desktop for inspiration and told me it was just a bad picture and that I hadn't been that fat. Yeah, I'd had a lot of "bad pictures.")
3. My doctor/nurse/insurance company, because the nurse weighs me.
4. 2 Female friends who are 5'6 and 5'10, respectively (my friend who is 4'11 thinks anyone over 100 pounds or so is overweight).
5. One neighbor, and a woman at my dentist's office, just because we were sharing large weight-loss details.

6 (Almost-but-not-quite) my mother. I told her and dad when I was down 50 -- they'd noticed loss -- and they were surprised I had that much to lose. I updated her for a little bit after that and when I got down 80 lbs my mother was shocked beyond anything that I'd had that much to lose. I could tell she was concerned and also trying to figure out how I could've had that much to lose. After that I didn't get specific with her again or any other relatives except my husband. For several reasons, I guess. I was freaked out that she was freaked out.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

You guys are the only ones who know my real weight. My husband knows how MUCH I've lost, but not the real numbers. Oh, I guess my doctor knows too, but he doesn't care. I only see him once a year.

My husband weighs 165 lbs. He's training for a triathlon and all fit and muscly. NO WAY am I discussing real numbers with him! Bless his cotton socks, he's never asked, either.

Last edited by ChrissyBean; 09-07-2010 at 08:43 PM.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote