Old 09-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #46  
Blessed!

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'9

My hubby and the nurse/doctor's office knows.

If my hubby weighed less than me, I'm not sure I'd share it with him.
shellsbrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

My girlfriend knows...and I think a friend or two does. I'm not really open about it in general, but if it comes up, I don't always shy away from the subject.

I've just come to terms with the fact that no one could have really thought I was 140lbs or something, so the actual number isn't the biggest issue ever
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 340/323/165

Height: 5'11

The doctors office, and my boyfriend knows. He's the first person I've ever had the courage to tell.
lostinstaticx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:20 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 236/?/132

Height: 5'6"

You guys are the only ones who know my weight - i flat out LIE to everyone else if i can't avoid it. Luckily, not too many people ask the fat girl for her weight and I won't be stepping on one of those "guess my weight" scales at the carnivals anytime soon!

Last edited by GonnaTurnHeads; 09-08-2010 at 01:21 AM.
GonnaTurnHeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #50  
TEAM CUPID & BL BLUE TEAM

S/C/G: 306/see ticker/153

Height: 5'3

I know. And internet people know (funny how much easier it is to write it down to people you'll never see. ). That's it. I do tell my husband how much I've lost, but not what I weigh. Maybe I will once I'm significantly smaller than him. (He's a foot taller and about 15 lbs lighter than me).
JackieHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:34 PM   #51  
age 57

S/C/G: 170/ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

This whole discussion reminds me of the time this obnoxious person I knew ran into me at the mall and was shocked, just shocked, at how much weight I'd lost. He acted like I was lying. I'd lost around 25 pounds over a healthy few months. He just made SUCH a big deal, and not in a "I'm so happy for you!" way, over the fact that he himself had lost 25 pounds but it had taken him a year. I felt kinda insulted every which way, though in the end I guess it's kinda funny. He seemed to not believe me and I couldn't tell if he thought surely I needed to lose more or if he thought I was lying because I didn't look like I had lost so much.

Then, my boss made SUCH a big deal about "the number," too, and told everyone she encountered that I'd lost 25 pounds. But not like it was a good thing. More like, "Gawd, can you believe she was SO overweight." This is a person who has never been a pound overweight in her life.

People are so funny. Not always ha-ha funny. So I feel just fine keeping my own "number" to myself.

I think for some comic relief someone should start a thread about all the obnoxious things people have said to us about our weight. Oh--I just thought of another one. A drunk man (again, at the mall; what is it about malls?) looked at me and asked when I was due. Now, I'm no spring chicken. It is clear that ship has sailed. So he either wasn't seeing clearly or was just a mean drunk.....
AuntBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

My SO learned my weight a few months back in the oddest way. We went to the landfill with some tree limbs, and a scale weighs your vehicle when you get there. When I got out of the van to get our yellow vests, he did the math. I was not amused.

My sister and my bff know, everyone in internet land knows, and a few people at work know. I'm not ashamed of my weight, per se, but I am ashamed of my highest weight and also very proud of how far I've come!
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #53  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

When I started I told my husband & my best friend (and y'all here lol). Now everyone knows & it's something I don't freak out about
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #54  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

You folks here and the ones at my doctor's office. I am sure that DH weighs less than me so I don't want to tell him.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #55  
Restart Date: 10/25/2009

S/C/G: 215/160/115 HW: 235

My doctors office and the Internet know. I avoid speaking the number because people don't need to know it. It is quite easy for anyone to form a height/weight opinion of me with their eyes alone. Besides if you start sharing numbers it opens people up to doing math and commenting in idiotic ways like, "you should just stop now, you're too skinny, etc.," even though if they looked up the number on a BMI chart they could see I am overweight. (not that people don't say stupid things without a number.)
lovemyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #56  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Great thread, by the way.

So far, no one knows. Just me and anyone here. But no one I might actually have social contact with. And probably no one ever will. While I'm heavier, I don't want them having a number with which to judge me. When I'm lighter, I won't NEED them to know: I'll know.

I might tell one or two people (best friend, boyfriend, mom) eventually.

I got scarred one time when I went to the doctor at the same time as my mother. She's...a good mom, but a little nosy sometimes. We'd gone together because we got to catch up in the waiting room (same doctor, and we don't get to see each other very much).

Y'know how the doctors take you into the hall and weigh you? Well, my mom and I were called in at the same time. She should have gone right to her room, but she hovered and watched while I was weighed. I was too embarrassed to say I didn't want her there, and I don't think the doctor saw her. She saw my weight (almost 200 lbs, dammit) and immediately after our appointments started recommending things to help me lose weight (some weird pill things). I've hid it from her since then. I don't want pills or anything like that.

I even hid my weight loss from people I know. I'm at the point where some are noticing, so I say, "Yeah, I've lost a little weight. Thanks for noticing." I've lost 30 figgin' pounds!

So, no one. And probably no one for a very long time.

Again, awesome thread! I hadn't really thought about this...

LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 275/274.8/150

Height: 5'2"

No one ever asks me, really. My mom does sometimes, and she is really vain about her looks. She got gastric bypass several years ago but never works out or anything, so she is still not down to her goal weight, which is the same as mine at 150. She complains about it a lot, and I suspect she asks me what my weight is to make herself feel better, so I don't ever tell her. Considering she's been at my present weight, I'm sure she can probably guess.

I can't imagine ever telling my boyfriend. We talk about being overweight and trying to lose weight often, actually. He weighs 270 and wants to get down to somewhere in the range of 200-220. I would hate to admit to him that I'm only 20 pounds lighter than him. As long as he likes what he sees, I don't see that it's necessary to tell him. I don't think he would ever ask me anyway but, if he did, I don't know that I would do it. I wouldn't lie, but I probably wouldn't tell him either.

Now when I start losing weight, I may be more revealing. Like if I get down to 220 and someone asks me how much weight I've lost/what I weigh, then I might feel better about telling them since it is also obvious that I'm working on losing it and being successful at it. Like if someone asked me now how much I weight w/o seeing me lose any, I feel like telling them would be like putting myself down versus telling someone how much I weight b/c they notice a difference is lifting myself up.
myfishpajamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #58  
On my way!

Height: 5'6"

My doctor and a few family members know. The family members that know it are very encouraging about my weight loss journey, so I see no reason to hide it from them.
musestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 365/341/160

Height: 5'8"

Just to be the outsider...

My fiance knows exactly how much I weigh. I don't.

I step onto the scales backwards with my eyes covered and he just tells me iff I have have gone up, down, down a lot, or stayed the same.

If I could weight myself with out me knowing the number and without him knowing the number I would.

I cannot maintain a healthy mindset if I know my weight.
Samantha1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:44 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 220/211/150

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
When I was at my high weight? No one, not even me. I didn't go to the doctor for years so that even the doctor wouldn't know.
same here. I don't even know for sure what my highest weight WAS? I know I peaked over 200s with my first two pregnancies, and my third pregnancy was healthier but not on purpose, I somehow started to eat and act healthier but without a huge conscious effort due to watching my carb intake because of gestational diabetes.

I started to pay attention for real this last March after having the baby in October when I realized I'd stayed at 185 for like 6 months and I needed to fix that. I felt like I'd neither lost nor gained since having a 7 lb baby.

So I keep 185 as my "peak" but in truth I know I've been heavier, I just don't even really know exactly how much because I didn't want to know? I do know I was pushing into size 18 jeans almost, but I never let myself buy them.

Now I don't care. I like to keep myself accountable, I tell everyone who asks I've lost 35 lbs, I weigh about 155 and I have about 35 more to go and these are the lifestyle changes I've made. I want to be happy with myself in every aspect and be a healthy parent and role-model for my kids. Kids do as you do not do as you say. I don't want them fighting diabetes, their weight, heart problems etc. I love my kids and I want them to be healthy.

Last edited by boots; 09-26-2010 at 03:47 AM.
boots is offline   Reply With Quote