Old 03-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #46  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I love reading these, especially the "mom" ones from Robin and Lilybelle. That just makes it all worthwhile.

Gayle, great going on not buying the snacks. Just keep putting that one foot in front of the other. It is those "small things" that keep us on our journey.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #47  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I really love reading these. They're just so very special and I think that we all really appreciate and UNDERSTAND exactly what each of us posts.

Lilybelle, my face lit up when I read your last post. What a great feeling, your son sounds so dynamite and so darn proud of you. And I'm glad your guests are moving out.

I must say that my latest NSV, about my daughter and her friends, really was extra special. Kids and teenagers have such a hard time growing up without the added pressure of a mom who is morbidly obese and just looks plain old different. And of course we all have great kids and they try not to hurt our feelings by mentioning it, but of course, we're no dummies, we KNOW they have to be dieing inside. I really always tried to be friendly to my daughters friends, but also wanted to stay out of the way to avoid her being embarassed. It really did feel great to interact with them and then get their approval and of course have my own daughter so very proud of me. It's like she can't wait to show me off now. Of course this weightloss if first and foremost for ourselves, but it really does affect our entire families and you know what, they deserve it. They deserve to have a healthy and happy and "regular" sized mom. We strive so hard to give them the best of everything, clothing, ipods, cell phones and all that other stuff and of course the non material stuff as well, but we probably forget that the most important thing we can give them is a healthy mother. Mentally as well as physically.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-05-2007 at 07:09 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:58 PM   #48  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

I wore a dress to church last night that I haven't been able to get into for a year. Gotta love these "clothing milestones."
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #49  
Movin' and Groovin'

S/C/G: 289/269/180

Height: 5'6"

My pants I couldn't button, 3 months ago, without stuffing myself into them, fit wonderfully now. I even have to keep pulling them up.
JennyWenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:52 PM   #50  
one pound at a time......

S/C/G: 235/231/135

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up

I LOVE this thread!!

I've got one too. I'm running in public, in the daylight no less, and I don't care who sees me! I think I'm starting to overcome my self-conciousness! Maybe I'll be able to handle the gym sooner than I thought.

Oh, and I told my Mom that I am trying to lose weight and what I'm doing to try to lose it. I always shyed (sp???) away from telling anyone before because I was worried I'd fail and look stupid or I was worried that they'd laugh at me because they thought I couldn't do it. This time I am truly COMMITTED and this is going to be the last time I ever have to do this.... this time I'm gonna beat it so I don't care who knows what I'm doing! This is a whole new attitude for me.

Last edited by Shrinking Daisy; 03-05-2007 at 09:57 PM. Reason: thought of another one :)
Shrinking Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:19 PM   #51  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Ok, this is so silly.

I do alot of size goal shopping at Goodwill. I lvoe that freaking store. Anyway, I have a size 10 dress hanging on my wall as my "I'm there" kinda goal. But, having now lost 50 pounds, I thought I'd pick up some intermittant sizes. I picked up a dress in a 14, and a skirt in a 16. For weeks I have been bemoaning that I am STILL at a size 18 on the bottom. Today I got the 16 over my hips and only have about 3 inches before I can zip it. I know skirts and pants fit different and because my lower tummy area is my biggest problem, it'll be a while before I can wrangle my meat apron into 16 JEANS, but I can wear a skirt and hide it. I am so excited. 4 weeks ago, I would have never even thought to try a 16, and had I tried it, I would NEVER have gotten it up. This is a business skirt, pin stripes in dark blue, there is no extra material for stretch so I know its a true fit, but man, what a rush to have the confidence to try it on and what a bigger rush to have it slide over my hips.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Wow 5 days in March and we already have 4 pages. I’m impressed.

I have 3 NSV.

First, I went to see my friend for my spring break and not once while I was there did I over-eat. I didn’t eat my normal food however I did make healthy choices and didn’t gain any weight.

Second, the friend I went to visit I hadn’t seen since July. When I saw her in July it was literally for 24 hours for he wedding (some of which we were sleeping so it wasn’t much at all). So she didn’t’ really pay attention to any weight loss I had so far. Before that I hadn’t seen her since my graduation in May. Either way I weighted a whole lot more then I do now. When she first saw me she said how good I looked and maybe five minutes later she looked at me and said when did you become tiny. Tiny! I never thought I would be described by someone as tiny.

Third, I needed to buy a new suit. My old one looked terrible on me and was way to big. I spent a lot of time looking around finding one that I really liked and I ended up finding one at JC Penny. My old suit was a 24 and barely fit (actually I don’t think it did fit at my highest) the one I got last week was a size 16 pants and an 18 jacket. The week before I discovered I was a 16 at Lane Bryant however to be a 16 at a normal store was amazing!!!
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:11 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

My NSV yesterday - We had a really rough day, yesterday, and as the cherry on the sundae we had a wreck. It was pretty minor, no one was injured, but it was kind of the final straw, you know? Anyway, after dinner I was SO tempted to say, let's run to Sonic for a blast, we all deserve a treat. But I didn't!!! Instead, I said, we need a treat, let's play a game! And we did. I think that may be the first time I have EVER set an example of a non-food treat for my kids. And they loved it! I don't think ice cream ever even occurred to them, thank goodness!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:13 AM   #54  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalsfan1 View Post
My NSV yesterday - We had a really rough day, yesterday, and as the cherry on the sundae we had a wreck. It was pretty minor, no one was injured, but it was kind of the final straw, you know? Anyway, after dinner I was SO tempted to say, let's run to Sonic for a blast, we all deserve a treat. But I didn't!!! Instead, I said, we need a treat, let's play a game! And we did. I think that may be the first time I have EVER set an example of a non-food treat for my kids. And they loved it! I don't think ice cream ever even occurred to them, thank goodness!
That is wonderful!! I can SOOOO relate to this. You did great, so pat yourself on the back for me!
Old 03-06-2007, 07:20 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Thanks Ritz. To most people it would seem like such a non-thing but I know everyone here understands how big it really is. I am very happy with myself this morning.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:28 AM   #56  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Royalsfan, it IS big. How I only wish I would have done things like that with my kids when we they were growing up. My kids are now 19.17 and 15. I blew it. How I wish a treat was a family game of football or Monopoly or even watching a good movie together, but no our treats were ice cream and baking homemade cookies.

I'm glad your wreck was only minor.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:36 AM   #57  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Robin is right! It IS a big thing. But you are also right....most people who aren't changing their lifestyles would probably not see it as such. I think it is great.

I too am glad your accident was only minor.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:58 AM   #58  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Tricia!

SOOO glad that the accident was a minor one and SOOO proud of you for choosing the game as a special thing rather than food! The kids AND you will remember that a lot longer than any food fest!

Here's MY NSV:

On Sunday my daughter-in-law was looking outside into the WHITE OUT and saying how she was SO NOT LOOKING FORWARD to her 10-15 mile run that day. She's in training for her first Ultra (100 mile run) this August and needs to exercise A LOT every day. (A "short run" for her is 10-15 MILES!) I said that I was planning on doing an hour of Turbo Jam and MAYBE that might be an OK replacement for at least SOME of the exercise that she was planning that day.

Her eyes got big and she said, "YES! Let's DO IT!" Now, remember I am the non-athlete in the family of athletes. I just invited a five-time marathoner and athlete-in-training for an ULTRAMARATHON to join ME in one of MY workout sessions! What was I thinking?!!!! Talk about REALLY making myself feel BAD!!!

WELL, we had a BLAST! We giggled each time we kicked one another (Oops! She has really long legs and I am uncoordinated and we have a relatively small space in our familyroom!) Part way through she ran upstairs to get her waterbottle because she was sweating and thirsty. Chalene Johnson is so great on the DVDs, and my daughter-in-law was really enjoying all the encouragement! (She said after that you don't get any encouagement running alone on a fifteen or twenty-mile run. You just tend to "zone out." She apologized for losing focus about 45 minutes in because "when you run you just keep one foot going in front of the other over and over. When you do something like this (Turbo Jam) you reallly have to THINK!"

It was a great bonding experience for us in a completely different way. Because I had done the DVD many times, I actually didn't look too bad even compared to a genuine ATHLETE. We connected in a completely new way, as mom-in-law and future daughter-in-law just jammin' away and having a sweaty fun time. I'll bet we do that again!

Cheryl

Last edited by Cheryl14; 03-06-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:41 AM   #59  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Alright, ladies, I've been MIA for a few days, but I'm back! I've still been on plan, just can't seem to find the time to hit the computer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
They deserve to have a healthy and happy and "regular" sized mom. We strive so hard to give them the best of everything, clothing, ipods, cell phones and all that other stuff and of course the non material stuff as well, but we probably forget that the most important thing we can give them is a healthy mother. Mentally as well as physically.
Robin, wow. That's all I can say...what an eye-opening post for me. I've never actually thought of the weight loss this way, but it shedds a whole new light on things....thank you!

Everyone, your NSV's are so wonderful! I've just spent the last 10 minutes catching up on them, and got teary-eyed more than once!

Yesterday we went to the state capitol for DD to receive a Glory award in the House of Representatives. I wore that new outfit (dress slacks, jacket, etc) that I went shopping for a week or so ago. I felt so GOOD! Several students that I haven't seen in a while came up to me and said I looked great, and to keep it up. I wore high heals ALL day, and my feet didn't ache until we were on our way home, a full 10 hours after I had put them on...and we did a lot of walking and standing. My in-laws accompanied us on the trip. My MIL unknowingly gave me a glimpse of my former self.....I ate a bowl of oatmeal before we left yesterday morning, but about two hours into the trip they all wanted to stop for breakfast. MIL ordered a full meal at Waffle House, I ordered a wrap, but gave over 1/2 of it to DH. Only a short hour/hour and a half later we were in the capitol building where a pizza luncheon was set up for us. I told DH to grab me a bottle of water and skip the pizza, no way could I eat since we had just eaten breakfast. MIL grabbed two large slices of thick crust pizza, ate them both, and contemplated a third. Fast forward about and hour and a half, and the kids were treated to ice cream at a local place near the capitol building. MIL had a large waffle cone with what had to be at least a pint of ice cream in it. I did splurge and order 1 scoop of ice cream, but threw half of it away, just a couple bites satisfied me. We then began our trip home, and MIL wanted to stop for dinner.....OMG, more food?! I skipped the meal and had lemon water while they ate. I was still full from earlier. Now, I know this sounds like I'm just downing my MIL for what she ate, but that's not it. It was eyeopening. A year ago I would have been right beside her and eaten the same things she ate whether I had been hungry or not. I wouldn't have wanted to rock the boat, so I would have eaten. Yesterday I chose what I ate, and didn't eat if I wasn't hungry. I feel so empowered.
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #60  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

What wonderful posts! So encouraging and so touching.
Loved your post, Cheryl. I'll bet your future daughter-in-law will remember that bonding time for a long time, too.
Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote