Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2002, 07:46 PM   #1  
Web Nana

Default Steel Magnolias #203

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Wow! Another page on our ongoing conversations! It doesn't take long for 14 messages to come around.
Went for the post-op today and was told all is fine. Dr. made another appointment for Dec. 10 to do the right eye. If it goes as well as the left one I will not have anything to worry about.

MAGGIE: CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! Four #'s is not a shabby number. I knew you could do it. Rec'd you other recipies and would love the pumpkin pie one. You do come up with some great idea. Thanks!

JOYCE: Although I didn't have twins I had three children under 3 when DS was born 13 days short of a year after his sister. Oldest DD wouldn't turn 3 for another 4 months.
Then DH was called up for active duty for a year and there I was alone (the kids & I). I survived and can really laugh at some of the things that went on. I can't imagine having 7.

JEAN: You should be starting your Thanksgiving "vacation" today please enjoy it and I am sure most of it will be spent enjoying Ian.

It has been a long day but got a lot done and only have two more Christmas to get. Next is wrapping and decorating. That's just too much for me to think of tonight....
Gloria in MA off to read and then to sleep.

Have a great Turkey Day
Old 11-27-2002, 09:15 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Smile Turkey Day Eve

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

I gotta tell ya that pie turned out great. We had a piece of it tonight and it is a keeper recipe. The phyllo dough curst was just a whisper and added something to it instead of just having pumpkin custard.

Thank you so much JOYCE & GLORIA for your support and accolades. I love hanging out with losers.

GLORIA that is so neat that your eye cooperated so well. I am sure you will get your other one done and have no problems with it either.

Do any of you brine your turkeys? I am not going to do this one but will get the necessary herbs to do it next time I cook one. I have eaten them done that way and they are soooooo good. This breast I am going to do in a cooking bag. I have always had great success that way.

Have a great Turkey Day!
Old 11-27-2002, 11:59 PM   #3  

Good Evening, Flowers!
I am just about ready to head off to bed but wanted to check in here first. I am so glad that this week is over as far as school is concerned. The kids were just plain squirrely today.

Gloria -- What a scary thing to have done to your eye! However, it is good that the doctor caught it and it could be fixed. It really is amazing what modern medicine can do. When you finish "Christmasing" your house, you can come and do mine! I'm just not in the mood to even start decorating although I do have my shopping started. I think gift certificates sound like a winner this year! We will get to see Ian and his parents on Saturday. They are going to her grandma's tomorrow -- all of her mother's family get together on Thanksgiving and then go their separate ways for Christmas because of the iffy weather.

Maggie -- CONGRATULATIONS on you great loss! I love the smell of baking bread! Thanks for the recipes; I haven't had a chance to look for the magazine yet. I would have to put a few chocolate chips in the bars for Bob -- he doesn't think cookies or bars qualify unless there are chocolate chips in them. I had to chuckle at your little stick man waving -- cute!

Joyce -- I have never tried flaxseed oil but we did try just plain old fish oil. I kept burping the taste of tuna fish all day so I finally quit. Bob kept taking them and says he doesn't notice that. I have also heard that glucosamine is supposed to be good. I get to the point where I don't know which ad I should believe.

Well, it is past my bedtime so I am off. My bed should be toasty warm because I have the electric blanket turned on high, preheating it.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your families.

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 11-28-2002, 07:36 AM   #4  
One Day At A Time

Happy Thanksgiving Friends --- Hope you all have a wonderful day with family and friends!!!!!!!

DH got up at 4am this morning. And I couldn't get back to sleep. Since I don't have to do a turkey, I don't even have to be up this early.

Maggie - I'm still amazed at the good loss you had this week. You deserve it!!! I think I'm going to mke those breakfast cookies this morning. Gotta keep breakfast and lunch very low point.

We're going to son's house this afternoon for dinner about 5. DIL is a good cook but she's never done a turkey. She's very fussy about what she eats. Doesn't like more that a few ingredients in anything and definitely no onions in anything. No onions? I like to put lots of veggies in everything to help keep points low. Oh well.... I know we will have fun and fellowship!!!!!!!

Old 11-28-2002, 11:13 AM   #5  

Gobble Gobble and Happy Turkey day one and all.

Wouldn't you know, I stay away from the confuser for two days and miss lots of good recipes.............story of my life! I'll catch you on your email site Maggie, so don't think you're getting out of sharing! I saw that Filo dough trick on the food channel, i think.....who knows, it could have been anywhere.

We're off to spend the day with my friend Ann and her family. Theyre all here from Cincinnati at her house on the river.....it'll be a tad zooey, but fun.

Made the WW Taco Soup Tuesday. DS loved it, as did I. If I can keep making that kind of thing for him, maybe we can get his weight where it should me............and mine as well.

The ski resorts are open.......a week early. Bet they'll be wild this weekend with everyone out of school. Jean, our teachers got lucky. Deer season began last Saturday, and since deer hunting is a rite of passage around here, there weren't many cars in the HS parking lot! I was told it cost the county 126,000$ for substitute bus drivers, custodians, and teachers from Mon-Wed. I suspect they'll go back to having the week of T'giving off again next year........that's a pretty hefty price to pay for 3 days of school with very little testosterone in the bldgs. I think they're nuts to sit out there in the wet snow and rain for hours, but what do I know? Mike was on his college Rifle team, but has never been interested in hunting.......works for me. I hope you get to squeeze Ian until your arms hurt

Again, Happy Turkey day one and all. And Gloria, I'm not even talking to anyone who has all their Christmas shopping done and wrapped! That's disgusting We don't do anything until Santa goes into Macy's.

Bubs
Old 11-28-2002, 12:54 PM   #6  
Web Nana

Good Afternoon Magnolias

Bubs: Just a short note to let you know that the Christmas decorations in Macy's have been up since Labor Day and Santa has been in the Mall since the first of November. I know I'm mean. I have shopped but not wrapped, that's for next week if I am lucky. Just call me Meany Gloria LOL
Old 11-28-2002, 08:26 PM   #7  
Kool Kat

Ok, everyone!! I didn't do too bad today... but tomorrow is my day. I am going to start eating healthy again, start going back to the gym... and doing things right. I have a goal to meet... and I plan on doing it!! Who's willing to keep on my tail?! Or even partner up through emails!? Either way I'll still be around. I just need someone to help keep me motivated!!!

Thanks all! I hope everyone had a great thanksgiving!!

Seren Dee

PS. My email address is [email protected]
Old 11-28-2002, 10:49 PM   #8  

Good Evening, Flowers!
We just got home and I thought I would check in here before I fold some towels. We had a nice day and I didn't overeat but did have a little of everything including pecan pie.

Joyce -- I hope your dinner turned out ok. Be sure to let us know how things tasted without onions . . . what else could be used to spice things up?

Bubbles -- Your day sounds like it was going to be a fun one! Our kids skip school for no reason at all -- just "because" and parents let them get by with it. One gal left school 3 hours early to get her hair permed and she happened to be at the same place where I get my nails done. She about fell out of the chair when I walked in. The shop is open until 8 and she was done at 4; the next day she tried to tell me that she had to take that appt. because she couldn't get in for another month otherwise. I told her I hadn't just fallen off the turnip truck and she didn't need to explain anything to me. Then she wonders why she doesn't understand what's going on in math. GRRRR!

Seren Dee -- Good luck with your NEW start! You can do this, I know you can!

I hope you have a fantastic Friday. I have a lab appt. at 8 in the morning and then will make a grocery run for the weekend.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-29-2002, 02:56 PM   #9  
One Day At A Time

Hope everyone had a great day yesterday!!! I overdid it! I was surprised by all the different choices. I had no idea they were planning on SO much. It was a different dressing with no onions, celery, nothing but plain dressing. And her mom fixed some some other veggies that had soups and cream and cheeses. Nothing low fat. But it was VERY good. Just too many choices and TOO much salt. So I had a taste of everything and counted about 2 points per taste. I guesstimated about 50 points for the whole day yesterday. When we got home last night and got to bed, I had flashbacks to what it was like 78# ago. Heartburn, heart pounding, feeling like I couldn't breath. I have had 5 cups of water so far and am planning at being at 8 by the this afternoon.

I went to the physical therapist this morning. I have some exercises for my knee, can't cure the arthritis that I have but I can stop it from getting worse and get the range of motion back up. And some exercises for my shoulder, tendonitis and also decreased range of motion. Why did I ever let myself get so out of shape and so heavy. Why couldn't I have been smart??!!?? Too late smart - too soon old.

To those who stay OP

Deren Dee - We can keep on each others tails!! I have a bunch of mini goals as you can see in my signature line. And I plan on getting there. So we can do it together!!

Jean - Dinner yesterday was good but different. I'm used to my families Thanksgiving favorites. It was all DIL's family - they are good people and we had a good time.
Old 11-29-2002, 05:29 PM   #10  

Happy Day After to all,

I got Mike off to FL for his conference, and figured while I was in "the city" I might as well do some shopping........I can always do most of it at Books A Million, and walked out of there with three books in 15 minutes...........would've been faster but I had to take time out to go to the jon Seems as though I spend half my life looking for "the facilities".

I have to tell youall what happened last Sunday. I have a dear friend who is a recovering alcoholic. She had a setback last spring and spent two months back in rehab. Anyway, I was helping her gather food for the Greenbrier Valley Theatre's annual Holiday Home fundraiser. We got all the stuff, took it out to the home, and started arranging it on the table. Appleby's graciously donated a large carton of their brownies. There must have been a dozen 8x11 cardboard containers in it, filled with the brownies. She all but passed out when she saw how many there were. As we were leaving, she insisted I take a box which was probably 2/3 full. Needless to say, they were almost gone by Saturday. I finally threw them in the trash, and being a typical foodaholic, went out and rescued a couple for breakfast Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon I was the "money changer" and ticket taker at the house. Shortly before the last shuttle arrived we were sitting together in the hall when I said to her, " Have I ever given you a bottle of vodka?". She got a startled and wary look on her face and said, "No.........." I replied, "Do you think I ever would?" Again, "No...........". Then I said, "it's about those damn brownies.....". She panicked and said, "Don't tell me they were laced with vodka! I didn't taste any and didn't have a hangover this morning!". I reassured her that that wasn't the case. I then proceeded to explain what had happened with the brownies. For the first time, she understands where I'm coming from and promised never to do it again. Later, just the two of us were standing in the kitchen and she said, "Well, here we are, the two addicts......you with food and me with booze". We had a good giggle over that one. Youall are the only ones who can fully appreciate that story, so I had to share.

Jean, know what you mean about the kids and their attendance. It used to make me crazy when the kid came in with a note from the Dr. the day after a 9AM appt. I'll bet in 9 years at the Jr. High, in Special Ed., I can count on my fingers and toes the number of parents who came to Open House. The parents of my homeroom kids were all there, but they were Reg. Ed. We're in the process of transitioning into Middle Schools by 2004. Folks who've been in the biz for 20 or so years are going to not only have to take 12 hours in Mid. Sch. Curr. etc., but they have to student teach!!!!! What do they think they've been doing all this time? Crazy. They think they have a teacher shortage now, they ain't seen nothin' yet! Can I tell you how much I miss that sort of BS? We went from having to have Learning Outcomes in our Lesson Plans to IGOs, Individualized Goals and Objectives.....geared toward the Standardized Tests, and gleaned from a huge manual containing at least 400 pgs. of IGOs in every discipline and grade level. That lasted two-three years, and surprise! they're changing it all again! I'd like to have the $$ the clowns in the State Dept of Ed have spent on paper alone, having those manuals printed.........not to mention their composition, etc. I figure somebody needed a project for their PhD and knew the right people.............I'd never make it in politics. I'm way too opinionated and verbal.

Have a great weekend one and all. I'm going to revel in having the house to myself again........well me and the four legged critters.

Bubs

Last edited by graybubs; 11-29-2002 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2002, 06:28 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Smile Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

We just got back from braving the crowds to buy a new refrigerator. We opted for a compact 4 cu foot one and placed it beside our table where I used to have a cute little handpainted cupboard that has a picket fence door on it with my baking goods inside. Neither of us wanted to spring for the $2000 plus ones to replace the gas/electric built in one in this trailer just yet. I am going to use it for the things I took out of that cupboard as a pantry. The turkey breast I cooked yesterday came out wonderful as did all the other fixings. I was happy to have some leftovers to eat later for I watched my points close even though it is a high point day for me. I knew I could have a nice re-run of Thursday's meal and fit it into my plan. Well ~ I put the leftovers away quickly like it is recommended after eating and got everything cleaned up and we went on a wonderful top down drive. When we got home Cowboy opened the fridge and said the temp was 55 degrees. The fridge took Thanksgiving Day to quit. Just quit. So all those lovely leftovers went in the garbage except one half of the meat I had put into the freezer earlier so we can have some turkey sandwiches later from that.

JEAN a new car? Have you decided what kind it is you want?

BUBBLES thanks for sharing your story. They should let school out for a whole week if that is what happens in your area. Would certainly save some money.

SEREN DEE support is what we are all about! I e-mailed you so you now have my address.... hope to hear from you soon. Lets join hands and walk this walk down the road to thin together.

JOYCE There is no place like home for the cooking you are used to.... but having fun elsewhere is worth the venturing out isn't it. Back on track today will help ..... drink that water.

Have a lovely and safe weekend everyone.
Old 11-29-2002, 07:35 PM   #12  

Good Evening, Flowers!
I should be doing some last minute cleaning but thought I would take a break and chat with you.

It's been an awfully windy day with the sun coming out just in time to set! For some reason I have a stiff neck today; I'm hoping I just slept on it wrong.

Joyce -- I know that "ate too much" feeling very well! Just when I think I have learned my lesson, I will have a major slip and then pay for it when I go to bed. DUMB! I hope the physical therapy will help! I've gone a time or two and felt that it did help.

Bubbles -- Thanks for sharing your food addict story. Wouldn't life be so simple if we didn't have to eat?! In Iowa a student cannot be enrolled in the ESL program and special ed. at the same time. It seems that once they leave the Middle School, more and more are being put into special ed. The guidance counselor just approached our math teacher about taking an ESL student who speaks very little English. We have only 3 weeks left in this semester and there is no one to translate in that class. DUH! Come to find out the student has been improving in the math class that she is in right now. Makes one wonder if the right hand knows what the left hand is doing!

Maggie -- I'm so sorry about your refrigerator! I have been waiting for ours to quit; it's 18 years old and just keeps rattling away. We found (I should say Bob found) a car just like the one that we have only it is a 2002 -- Cadillac STS. He kept checking internet sites and then would call the dealer here in town. They finally gave us what he thought our car was worth and we didn't have to pay $600 to have the heating element replaced in the seat. That car was a lemon from the word "go" and we put almost $2000 into it in the 13 months we had it. We bought it used and the dealership bought it at an auction. We'll never do that again, I'm sure.

We ate a late lunch and I see by the clock that it will be a late supper. I have laundry going and need to fix a salad for tomorrow. My mom is coming for dinner and will get to meet Ian for the first time! I'm excited because I won't have to share him with so many people!

Have a super Saturday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 11-29-2002 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-30-2002, 11:39 PM   #13  

Just peeking in to see if anyone has been in the flower patch today. I am heading off to bed . . . being a cook and holder today wore me out! I must say that holding the was the most fun!

Have a relaxing Sunday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:55 AM   #14  
Kool Kat

Hi everyone. I'm just checking in also.

Eating habits have not been good at all recently. Since Thanksgiving, it seems to be a free-for-all. My mom and I went to lunch yesterday because I wanted to see one of my best friends that I haven't seen in several months because she works and I work and I'm in school and al that. Yester, we just grabbed something because I wasn't in the best of moods and had been doing homework all day so I had to get out of the house. Then, a friend of mine called and some of our other friends are in town from college for the thanksgiving weekend. They all decided to eat pizza. I had to help pay for it, so I figured I might as well eat a piece. I know... excuses, excuses. But there's been one all weekend long. I really need to get back to program. I wish I could afford to get onto WW online. Oh well.

I was going to clean my room since that would be at least a form of exercise.. but by the time I got home last night, my mom had done it for me. Not that I'm too lazy to do it... she just said that she knows it's been driving me crazy and she knows that it's going to be awhile before I'll have the time to do it.

Anyway!! Wow, I'm longwinded this morning. I've gotta get started again on this massive amount of stuff I need to get done, so I'll be around!

Hope everyone's doing better than me!!!

Seren Dee
Old 12-01-2002, 05:22 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Smile December 1

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

What a glorious Sunday. We ate strips from Colonel Cluck for lunch and are going to BBQ for dinner on those wonderful one point buns. That will use up my days points along with that bowl of cereal I had for breakfast. Didn't get in any fruit but I will eat lots of veggies with that burger. It is the first of the last month of the year so lets all not squander our last chance this year to lose weight. Join me in this to lose at least one pound a week before the new year catches up with us.

JEAN I have heard so many horror stories about the cars folks bought that were sold at an auction. I always thought want a wonderful way of getting rid of a lemon before those lemon laws came into being. Those lemon laws are sure great. Hope your new car is better for you.... is it a new or used one? Usually a used one of the same year it was built spells trouble.

SEREN DEE put your weekend eating behind you and just think of the fun you had with your friends don't dwell on the food you had. This is a brand new day for you to get going down this road to thin. You have got to get your FOCUS and hang on to it tightly. You have to really want to walk down this road to thin to get there. BELEIVE you can do it and make it happen.

Everyone have a wonderful beginning of a new month. LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN IN DECEMBER
Closed Thread