Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #31  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

In January of 2009 my oldest daughter turned 1. I saw pictures of myself at her party. I looked HUGE. I hadn't weighed myself since she'd been born, and at that time I was around 250lbs. I stepped on the scale and the numbers flashed 270. I about cried because I had always sworn to myself that 250lbs was my limit, I refused to get any heavier than that... But somehow I had. So I decided to do something about it. I had lost 25lbs by the beginning of March, then I found out I was pregnant again. I was determined not to let being pregnant be a license to gain weight all willy nilly. So during my pregnancy I gained a total of 5lbs, and once I had my second daughter (Nov. 24, 2009) I jumped right back on the bandwagon. And here I am!
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 172/162/120

Height: 5'1"

I haven't really had a "final straw" moment, but I have kind of been on a diet by proxy. In November my dh went to the doctor for shoulder pain and ended up getting a EKG because his BP was 180/120. He was put on meds immediately and started eating better. I in turn started buying better food at the grocery store, and started eating better food because that's what there was to eat around here
melissa78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #33  
the aly bagel

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLLy19 View Post
Schubunny - your story is so scary!! Yikes I would have been terrified. Im glad you are doing fine now!!
Thanks Lilly I was so scared that I think I cried the whole night in the woods. Half rom that and half from frustration and just wanting to go home.

Also I really love your story. I know myself I have a complex in the way that I feel no good looking guy would ever want me due to my weight. But I have a wonderful (and sexy LOL) boyfriend who is encouraging me all the way but would be fine if I stayed how i am- and it looks like you found yourself one of those gems too.

Last edited by schubunny; 02-10-2010 at 06:45 PM.
schubunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 150.7/131/125

Height: 5'2

The last straw for me was when I got on the Wii Fit balance board and it said that awful word "overweight". My 5 year old repeated it so many times I cried.. I am happy to say I am about 5 lbs from "overweight".. My son won't know what happened the day I get on the Wii and it doesn't repeat that word... Everyone needs a little push I guess
tripletmomplus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #35  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

I love hearing these stories!

My opinion about my weight and appearance has always wavered. For most of my life, I just didn't care. I was the "skinny" one in my group of friends, so what did I need to fret about? Furthermore, I was thoroughly convinced that if I were thinner, my rib cage would be big and poke out and I'd look like some disproportional freak of nature.

What pushed me over the edge and made me take the plunge was a chance of luck. I don't know why or how, but I had somehow come across Before & After pictures on a forum similar to this... And holy cow!!! All those photos of real people made me realize, for the first time in my life, that a big person can get small, and a small person can get big. More things shrink than just the tummy. I was also given the tools needed to go on this journey, which I previously didn't have. (After all, the media puts so much out there in terms of weightloss. When you're ignorant, it's very difficult to point out what is true and too good to be true).
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #36  
Princess in gym training

S/C/G: 228/190/130

Height: 5'9"

For me my "final straw" moment was all of 2009. I hit my highest weight ever, 225, and a bunch of other little things. The biggest thing was probably in August. I was on a 10 day trip for my biology class. We were going to be backpacking, hiking, mountain climbing, and rafting for 10 days. I think we ended up averaging 8 miles of hiking a day.

I was the only person who couldn't make it up the 14'er with my 12 other peers. It was embarrassing and I was ashamed of where I was in life. That was my final straw.
BellaDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 263.5/256/170

Height: 5'5

My problem is I have had many, many "last-straw" moments. Maybe this is will b the last. I am angry at myself as I have gained, lost and gained again over the last three years 60lbs. Why, why, why? My DH has seen me up down and up again and of course says it doesn't matter but I am tired of being tired.I started back again on Monday and am doing really well and really want this to be my last straw moment now!
Great thread. I love this site and all the support.
snoopy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #38  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

Well I'd gotten a blood glucose test when I was 16, and I was 1 point away from the highest it's supposed to be. My doctor told me I was pre-diabetic. I remember being really quiet while my mom drove me home. She told me I needed to lose weight, and I agreed, but I didn't know how.

I went that whole year not even really trying. I was extremely depressed. I had no friends at school since my weight had ballooned (~50 pounds in 2-3 years). I was skipping a lot of school, and none of my teachers noticed or seemed to care, which made me feel worse. My dad knew but just let me, he didn't know what to say to me. I KNEW I needed to lose weight, for my life.

Well that summer my best friend moved in with me and my dad. She'd already graduated, and her mom was charging her a lot of rent even though she was only 17, so we took her in. We had the same pediatrician and went in together. Our doctor told me I should join Weight Watchers (she'd said it before), and this time I actually thought about it. I really liked and respected my pediatrician, so I valued her opinion.

On the way home I asked Tina. She said she was down. Just knowing I had someone to figure this whole mess out with me gave me the courage to finally do something. I had REALLY bad social anxiety, but we went the next day to the center my pediatrician went to and recommended and registered, and the rest is history. When I get to goal I'm going to email my old doctor and thank her. If she wasn't my doctor, I don't know where I'd be right now.

Edit- I've thanked my best friend multiple times for her support and help, and putting up with my "my way or the high way" attitude in the beginning lol.

Last edited by oodlesofnoodles; 02-10-2010 at 11:25 PM.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #39  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Height: 5'5

my last straw moment was realizing i was the biggest girl out of the gradchildren. The biggest in my family(even dad.) also i saw a picture that was not very flattering ...
TIARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 129/120.6/118

Height: 5'4.5

Red face Last straw for me

I'm not overweight, but I was terribly out of shape. 2 flights of stairs would kill me. I didn't want to show my arms or legs or abdomen. My knees were KILLING me. I thought it was because of my bad feet, but I've always had bad feet, so nothing had changed.

I never thought that my knees were hurting because my hamstrings were so tight, and my legs were so out of shape.

I've been doing aerobics and some light strength training for the past month + nearly straight, and I feel so much better.

I've only lost 2 pounds, but I've put on a lot of muscle, and the fat is JUST coming off. I'm excited.

and my knees don't hurt!
LabMonkeyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #41  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

I'm dating a girl who loves tango dancing and is very good at it. I'm naturally very strong for a woman, built like an ox and if I were in better shape I could easily be strong enough to dip her and lift her. The thought of not being as trim and healthy as I could be to do that with her was eating at me.

So one day late last summer as we were chatting about her tango dancing she asked me what I liked to do for physical activity. At the time, I was really not doing any, and I felt terribly embarrassed by that.

The very next day I went and signed up for the gym at my workplace and started lifting weight again. And once I was doing that, the will to eat more mindfully came naturally.

So that was my last straw - a pretty woman asking me what I like to do for exercise, and having no answer besides "uhhhr...."
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #42  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

My parents came to visit me one day while my hubby and I were engaged and living in our old apartment (late in 2001) and my mom brought a flier for a prescription drug for weight loss and suggested that I talk to my Dr. about it. That was when I realized my parents weren't just giving me a hard time about my weight - they were genuinly concerned about my health.

I didn't want to take drugs, b/c I thoguht - "gee, I should at least TRY to lose weight before I resort to meds."

Around that time, I also took up a second part time job at Bath and Body Works. The dress code was black pants/white shirt. None of my black pants fit - so I went out to buy more. Well, that was when I realized I didn't fit into ANYTHING in my usual clothing stores (ie. NY & Co.).

I also realized, if I didn't do something, I would just keep gaining and gaining. At first I thought "I will never weigh more than 175". Then 175 came and went. Then I thought "I will never weigh more than 185". Then 185 came and went. When 190 came and went... I thought "no way I will ever get up to the BIG 2-0-0." Then 200 came and went... 210...220... I had this foolish idea in my head that eventually my weight would level out. That the weight gain would just STOP. But it didn't.

In Decmeber of 2001, I joined my first gym. I believe I weighed around 250 lbs. I exercised, ate wheat bread instead of white, cut back a little on the crap food and the first 20lbs. melted away and haven't been back since. The second 20 lbs... I have gained a lost a few times... DAMN IT, THIS IS THE LAST TIME - I will lose this 20 and then move on to the next 20.

From when I moved in with my hubby in June of 2001 Until I joined the gym in December of 2001 - I don't think I ate a single fruit or veggie. How nasty is that?
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #43  
Alberta Gal

S/C/G: 154.2/151.2/125.0

Height: 5' 3"

Smile last straw in Alberta

My last straw was buying a step ladder for inside my home, for watering plants, changing lightbulbs, etc. Well, the warning stated that the maxiumum weight load was 200 lb, and it was right before Christmas 2009, and I was weighing in at 198lb. Gleesh! I signed up at the Dr. Bernstein clinic on December 29th at 205.8 lb. I'm now down 26 lb after 53 days
HalfPint71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:05 PM   #44  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Going shopping with a friend and realizing that not one single pair of jeans in the plus-sized section of the store would fit me. I don't even remember anymore, but I think I was wearing a lot of stretch pants and fake stretch "jeans" at the time.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:52 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 174/137/135

Height: 5"5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
So that was my last straw - a pretty woman asking me what I like to do for exercise, and having no answer besides "uhhhr...."
So funny...so true. Thanks for the laugh!
KylieH is offline   Reply With Quote