Old 02-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 270/266/180

Height: 5'10"

Hi everyone. I just joined this site and found your thread. I would like to join in. I have been following the ETL diet, but with more monosatuated fat than recommended. I have been on it since the week after New Years. My breast cancer surgeon recommended this diet to prevent a cancer reoccurance. So far I have lost 13 pounds. On weekends I cheat a bit and have some of the foods I like, but am still managing to lose. It is a way of eating and not a diet for me right now. I am glad to find other people to share ideas with.
Glad2behere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 164/140/125

Height: 5'5"

Glad2behere, I am gladyouarehere, OK that was really cheesy. While I don't claim to be an expert in any way, I, personally, think that this is one of the best things you can do for yourself. If weight loss is a "side effect" of healthy eating, I'd take it any day! Keep me posted on how you're doing.
JBrum1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #78  

JBrum1224 Thanks. Too funny! I like cheesy as long as I'm not eating it-.Ha Ha. I have done a lot of nutrition research on the link between diet and breast cancer and this diet is right in line with the recommendations for prevention. The doctors have done their part, so now it is time to do mine. My favorite place to shop is Trader Joes now. I am not the best cook so would love to exchange ideas on any recipes. It helps to have support. I feel like our society in general is a temptation for eating bad.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #79  

Default Questions on the Six Week Plan

I'm brand new here, so apologies in advance for any goofs!...I bought the book (Eat to Live) and am anxious to get started, but I'm very confused as to what you can eat on the Six Week Plan. Can you use lowfat dressings on all those salads? There are menu plans and recipes in the book, but are they to be used during the Six Week Plan? Or are they meant to be used as a life-time guide for after the first six weeks? Thanks for any help!
aymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #80  

Hi aymac. Sorry to be so short, but 1) yes you can use dressing on the salads during 6 wk plan, 2) I would suggest (just my suggestion) that you use the recipes/plans in the back with caution. They are obviously designed around the plan (there are aggressive plans and moderate plans) but not all recipes fit the aggressive plan well. I don't have your stats so I don't know if you are trying to lose a lot of weight or just eat healthy. That will make a difference as well. I hope that helps just a bit.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:08 AM   #81  

Thank you for your help, JBrum1224! I think you're right. I've only been on the program for four days now, but find myself enjoying these huge salads so much that I haven't been worrying too much about what else to eat. That's just as well as I AM trying to lose weight in addition to taking my health more seriously in general! At this point, green smoothies, lots of fruit, garbanzo beans and BIG salads are making me plenty happy. The dressings in Appetite for Reduction rock, too!
aymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #82  

S/C/G: 228/223/130

Height: 5'2

Is anyone still doing E2L? I just read my book and have decided to give this 6 weeks. I know I will need support so I hope others are still doing this I have high blood pressure and high cholestrol. I have about 100 lb.s to lose and that number is very overwhelming to me. I think I can't do it. I have tried Atkins in the past to do good, but then only to gain what I had lost right back. I am planning on starting on Sunday March 6th. Anyone want to join me for the 6 weeks?
Jenset02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #83  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenset02 View Post
I think I can't do it.
Why would you say that??? You sound like you've given up before you even started. If you don't believe in yourself who will?
I believe in this plan wholeheartedly. If you follow it you will lose weight, improve your health and feel great. I too followed the Atkins diet for quite a while and lost 50lbs+. Then I gained it all back. E2L is not a gimmick, it involves eating what we have always known that we should be eating, plain and simple. I learned that and have been able to lose about 4o of those pounds again (for good this time). I plan to continue the journey, the weight loss, the health benefits, and all the good that comes from it. I sincerely hope you will give this an honest try, I think you will be really happy you did. And I promise to not be so preach-y in the future.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #84  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrum1224 View Post
Why would you say that??? You sound like you've given up before you even started. If you don't believe in yourself who will?
I believe in this plan wholeheartedly. If you follow it you will lose weight, improve your health and feel great. I too followed the Atkins diet for quite a while and lost 50lbs+. Then I gained it all back. E2L is not a gimmick, it involves eating what we have always known that we should be eating, plain and simple. I learned that and have been able to lose about 4o of those pounds again (for good this time). I plan to continue the journey, the weight loss, the health benefits, and all the good that comes from it. I sincerely hope you will give this an honest try, I think you will be really happy you did. And I promise to not be so preach-y in the future.
Great job on your weight loss You are doing great!!
I think I can't do it because to me the thought of losing 100 lb.s is so overwhelming and depressing to me. I do have plans to do mini goals, so maybe that will help. Might be easier to think I have 10 lb.s to go instead of a 100 lb.s to go all at once. You can be preach-y with me anytime. I need it I am looking forward starting this on Sunday.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #85  

Alright Jenset02, think of it this way, losing weight is the exciting/fun part. Gaining is depressing, but I think you are done doing that now.

Are you planning to do the 6 weeks by the book (meaning no animal products at all?) or are you going to lean toward the more moderate plans in the back of the book?

When I first started on the 6 week plan I followed the suggestion to limit the starchy veg/grains and nuts at first to really jump start the weight loss and I ate a bit of baked fish a couple times a month if you find that info useful at all.

I am excited for you. I think if you really give it 100% for 6 weeks the weight will fall off and you'll be hooked

And BTW my BP was always in the "normal range", I only checked it when I donated blood, but it is now consistanly lower than it ever was in the past. I think that's kinda cool too.

Maybe Sunday will be the day I cut back on the coffee and wine again to get myself back on track
Old 03-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #86  

Haven't checked back for awhile, but I am so glad to see other people joining. I have been doing the ETL program since January 4th, but am eating more monosaturated fats than reccomended. I have lost 21 pounds so far. I figure all the diets that didn't work before are learning experiences. I lost a lot of weight doing the Atkins type diet, so I know I have blood sugar issues. Yet I got breast cancer eating that way, so I know it isn't healthy. There is a huge connection in research between eating animal products/saturated fats and getting cancer. However, I did learn from it. I now try to make sure I eat healthy foods without spiking my blood sugar. If I eat an orange, I also have some almonds to keep me leveled out. I have unprocessed healthy carbohydrates, but make sure I eat them with beans etc.. It seems to really be working for me. I am trying to branch out now I find some good recipes to keep me going. I would love to have support budides to help keep me motivated. I am making it more of a way of life than a diet and I am happy eating this way. I am not perfect because on weekends I will still have pizza or chinese food, but then I just get back on track and keep it going. Looking forward to hearing what foods are helping you stay satisfied.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #87  

Glad2behere - Great job on your success so far Sorry to hear about your cancer. I hate cancer. I have a family member now going through cancer in 4 of her organs and she is only 36...her mom just got through treatment for breast cancer. They need to find a cure.

JBrum1224- Yes, I am planning on doing this by the book. Just fruits and veggies and nothing else. I am hopeful to see a big drop in my blood pressure meds and just to feel better. Right now, I feeling like I could die. I have diverticulitis too so that is most of the pain that I am having. It stinks. I hope this helps

Today is day 1 for me of week 1. I am normally not a breakfast eater. But I did manage to get in a banana. We had a luncheon at church yesterday and I ate too much, so I prob. won't get all the recommended amounts. But I will try. On a plus side, I was down from the weight in my profile, so I get to change that. I was 228 this morning. I will put that as my beginning weight too since I am just stating E2L. I'm excited to see what this day will bring
Old 03-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #88  

Going good so far. I had a banana, clementine, and a nice sized salad so far. I need to get in my water still...only one bottle so far..yikes. Better get moving on that. I added 1/2 cup chick peas to my salad and I really liked that. I think this salad will be my everyday lunch salad. Now to come up with a yummy salad for dinner
Old 03-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #89  

Jenset, sounds like a good start for the first day. I like the idea of beans at lunch/earlier in the day because they keep you feeling satisfied longer.

Glad2behere, you have mentioned the mono. fats a couple of times, I missed how much is recommended, but I'm curious whether you consume more by choice or chance? My limited knowledge tells me that olives, avocados and "healthy" fats are monos. Are you trying to consume more of them for a certain health benefit or do you just love olives and avocados like I do??
Old 03-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 328/325.4/175

Height: 5'11"

Default Day 1 of E2L for me

I just did a google search for any forums with people doing the E2L program, and I found this site! I hope there's not a rule against non-chicks posting. I just want to have some support with others doing this program.

Today is day 1. I've eaten a LOT of fruit, had my lunchtime salad, and more fruit. I'm worried about dinner, since I've already steamed veggies for lunch, and unless I go shopping, it's going to be more of the same thing.

I gotta say, my bamboo steamer (just bought it) is a lifesaver!

I'm a guy, 328lbs, looking to get to 175 sometime in the next year or two.

-Ben
NotAChick is offline   Reply With Quote