Old 01-28-2005, 04:28 PM   #46  
Persistent and Stubborn

Renee - sorry to hear that yesterday was such a bad eating day for you. Has today been any better? Congrats on the gym though - you're getting to be a regular. Were you a little sore today?

mette - I'll be interested to hear about how you rearrange your schedule. It sounds like you are motivated enough now though to make time for working out and that is great. Do you like writing? It is the worst part of my job but a very big part of my job. What will your paper be about?

I hope you both enjoy the weekend. I am planning on visiting my mother tomorrow but should be back tomorrow night. I've been in a super odd place/mood this week and just want it to be over. I'm hoping for a fresh start next week. Therefore, I don't think I can deal with staying with family this weekend. If it weren't for my mother I would just spend the weekend on the couch watching movies. I guess doing that on Sunday will be enough. I'm not looking forward to the drive, but I think I need to see my mother tomorrow so I can move forward.

I'll be around here at some point. Take care.
shyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:03 AM   #47  
maintaining

S/C/G: 243/170/165

Height: 6'

Good morning girls!

Ang – I hope you enjoy your weekend as best you can too. Good luck visiting your mother today! And hopefully you can spend tomorrow on the couch watching movies!

I did go to the gym this morning – it looks as if I’ll be able to go on Monday and Saturday mornings for the next 16 weeks.
So I’ll just rearrange my gym-program into a 2-days-split instead of a 3-days-split. More like this:

Monday:
Squats (squat rack + barbell): 8 reps x 3 series
Lounges (with dumbbells): 10x3
Leg curls (machine): 8x3
Leg extensions (machine): 8x3
Shoulder press (dumbbells): 10x3
Lower back Hyperextensions (bench): 10x4
Side Raises (bench): 10x4
Sit-ups (3 sets)

Saturday:
Bench press (bench + barbell): 8x3
Lat pull downs (machine): 8x3
Pulley (machine): 10x3
Tricep extensions (barbell): 8x3
Biceps curls (dumbbells): 7x3
Upper back (machine): 8x3
Ab crunches (machine): 10x3

I’ll try it for a week and see how it works out.
Then I thought I would make a small program to do at home – perhaps Wednesday night – using my dumbbells.
Mainly chest, arms, back and abs I think – maybe something like this:
Push-ups (3 sets)
Sit-ups (3 sets)
Overhead triceps extensions (dumbbells) (8x3)
Side laterals (dumbbells) (8x3)
Front raise (dumbbells) (8x3)
I think I want to try a bit, and see how it feels. I do want to get push-ups into my program though: I suspect they’ll help on the bench press.

As for cardio – I walk to and from work Tuesday-Friday, so that’ll be 90 minutes 4 days of the week. I don’t think I’ll be doing more than that to start with.

And btw: I’m celebrating 6 months of consistent weightlifting 3 times a week next week or the next (I started in the beginning of August!). Yey!
mette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 12:05 PM   #48  

Talking

Hi Ladies!

Long time no see, I know...! I'm so glad to see that you girls are still around!!! I've thought about you all often, and now that the new year is here, I'm revamping my weight-loss plans and getting back on track. Hope you don't mind if I join in again.

I'm not really sure what happened, if I got burned out or busy or what, but I spent the last several months pigging out, not exercising, and generally being a sloth. The circumstances of the new year have helped me renew my efforts to lose weight and be healthy.On new year's eve, I got sick and developed bronchitis which had me home for a week. I realized that I was sick and tired of being sick and tired, and took this as an opportunity to better my life- so I haven't smoked since 1/1/05, and Mike quit too! So we are now smoke free, going to the gym 3+ times a week, and eating better again. It feels very good. The year has been hard for several reasons so far, but I am so glad that I made the decision to quit smoking. And the best news is, I've lost two of the pounds I gained over the last few months- not gained (like everyone's so afraid of doing when they quit), but lost!!!

Anyway, that's a little synopsis of where I'm at right now. I'll be reading through everyones' posts to catch up with how you all have been. I can't wait to hear from all of you!

cw: 184
goofgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 12:40 PM   #49  
maintaining

Welcome back Jessica!!!!

It’s great to have you back with us! Congratulations on quitting smoking *and* losing weight this year – you must be very proud of yourself! (and Mike!)
So – what’s happening at the gym? Are you lifting weights?
And how is work? Still as busy with your big project?
Looking forward to hear more about what’s been going on with you!

I’m doing OK. I had a long Christmas vacation which I enjoyed, and have recently started up with my 16-weeks-hospital-practice. Which translates into a lot less time on my hands, and quite a few new challenges when it comes to exercise and eating. I have to rearrange things a bit right now. How do you solve going to the gym these days? Do you go before or after work?

As for my weight – I’ve successfully maintained since August/September, and I’m starting to think about losing weight again this spring. It’s weird – I felt thin at this weight back in August, but now I just feel like my fat, ordinary self at exactly the same size. Which means that it took my head a few months to catch up with my body!

But anyway! Very glad to have you back Jessica!!!
Old 01-31-2005, 12:52 PM   #50  

Jessica yaaaaaaay! It's like a big happy reunion! So glad to see ya back and hear that you've made some great positive changes! Hope to see you around here more now.

Mette - The Excel spreadsheet, would you mind sending me a blank copy of how you set it up? I want to be able to format the columns and stuff to show the progress- and I am really Excel Illiterate. The one I made just lists the name of the exercise, followed by the weight used, and how many reps in each set. But there is no format to it, to follow the progress week byweek. If so, send it towards [email protected]

Ang- Glad to hear ya seem to be hanging in there. *hugs* Thoughts are with ya.

As for me, I am back to hovering the 157 mark! Gahdangit. I float mostly around 155, dip sometimes to 153, then hover back at 157. Yes my eating could be better, but I've also started exercising. I in fact, made it to the gym TWICE last week and ... big proud moment. The precor machines were filled, so I hopped on the elliptical and lasted my full 20 minutes! Last year, when I started the gym, I couldn't last three minutes on that thing.

I am sore all over today and feel good about the exercising, I am even, almost getting into it now. But... again, the weight thing is driving me batty. I am trying not to get down on myself, but the fact I am no longer losing is really stressing me.

On top of that, my cycle is just completely screwy. I've been spotting now, for eight days, in the middle of my cycle, while still religiously taking my pill at the same time every day. That too could be playing havoc on my weight fluctuation, and lack of loss. They are going to try me on a new pill at the beginning of next cycle... whenever that actually comes, who knows.

In other news, my fish had babies again. It's going to be a huge project to get everything transferred to the new tank - (upgraded from 10-20gallon) and I hope I don't kill them in the process.

Off to lunch. See you girls later.
lilwolfe006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 04:14 PM   #51  
Persistent and Stubborn

Jessica - it's so good to have you back. Congratulations on quitting smoking. That is huge. It must help that Mike quit too. It sounds like you really have found a renewed vigor for being healthy and that is wonderful! Keep up the good work and I can't wait to hear more from you. You have been missed.

I am still on hiatus from being healthy. Life, darkness and cold weather happened and I stopped exercising. I have had some major adjusting to do with being in my new house over the winter. I have been making some progress on remodeling the house but it's slow. I finally got rid of old bf and now have a new one who is handy and helping me with some of the house stuff. I wish I could find a trigger to get healthy again like you did. Any other thoughts that you can share about what helped you turn things around?

My mother's cancer has spread and the doctors give her weeks to months. I went down to visit her this past weekend. All things considered I have a pretty good weekend. I am very glad that I went to see my mother. She is in good spirits and getting a little more mobile each day. I didn't stress about anything on Sunday, which was nice for a change.

mette - I'm glad your schedule will allow you to continue to work out in the mornings at least the two days a week. Your workouts seem very impressive.

Renee - I'm so proud of you for getting to the gym twice. What's change that gives you the motivation? I need to get in gear to 'catch up' with you ladies.

Congratulations on the the birth of the new fish! What kind of fish do you have?

Things at work have been very frustrating today. I'm trying to get a stats program to work and it's not behaving. I guess I'd better get back to it.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:16 AM   #52  
maintaining

Good morning, girls! I can’t believe it’s February already!

Ang – it’s so good to hear that you had a good time with your mother. I thought about you a lot this weekend.

Renee – I sent you a copy of the format I use on my spreadsheet. Look at it and see whether you think something like that could work for you. The best thing is to modify it to fit your program/regime.
It’s pretty basic – and does what yours does: names the exercise, sets, reps, weight on a weekly basis. With weeks in the columns, exercises in the rows – well, anyway, you can hopefully see what it looks like by now!

And yeah weight. I’ve been thinking about when I’m supposed to start losing weight again – should I wait until summer? Spring? Start soon and get it over with?
I don’t know if that’s the reason, but I have strong cravings for peanut butter these days. I can eat it with everything! I can eat it right out of the glass! And it’s 100+ calories in one spoon *sigh*. I'm probably a little stressed...

Sorry about your weight, Renee – but at least you got lots of new fishes!!!

I’m off to do something useful. Lots of patients today.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:36 PM   #53  
Persistent and Stubborn

Hi Everyone. In some ways I am so glad it is February because January wasn't any fun, but with work deadlines approaching so fast I wish I had a few more days. Also, I kind of gave up on January and now I feel like I can't give up on February - I need to do something.

How nice for you mette that you get to help people with your line of work. I thought I would be able to make a difference when I started in my field (at least indirectly), but I'm beginning to realize just how little difference my research makes. It is probably one of the main reasons why I am not liking my job as much as I thought I would.

Renee - have you been going to the gym in the evening?

mette - I love peanutbutter too. Do you eat the natural kind? How are you feeling about your weight and body image these days? Recently you mentioned that your thoughts about your body had changed since the summer, do you feel more comfortable with your body now?

I'll try to write more later but I have a meeting in a few and an abstract to write by the end of the day so I'm off for now.

I have a lot of sun here and I hope you all do too.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:28 PM   #54  

Hey ladies.

My gym routine is after work during the weekdays, and before lunch on the weekends when I go. I really like the atmosphere on Sundays, so much calmer.

The fish I have (which I just upgraded into a 20 gallon tank today) are Swordtails. They are a live bearing tropical fish and a lot of fun.

Eating today was MUCH better. Er, oops, forgot about those Burritos. Haha. Well, ok. That was breakfast, then bologna sandwich and an apple for lunch, and a clementine as my snack. Dinner is a shrimp thing that is real diet friendly.

I am glad it's February because it feels less like the middle of winter and more like I'm able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I got my taxes back already, and spent them too. (I turned to spending during my sad January)

Mette I think you should start now. You've maintained successfully, and if your mind has shifted gears from the 'I did so great' to the 'I've not done enough' - then you might be able to use it as motivation. Could start slowly.

I am real sleepy right now, I think I'll get up and walk around heh. Alright, talk to you's later.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:15 PM   #55  
maintaining

Hello ladies, I dreamt about you last night!
I dreamt we met in a strange house with doors everywhere, and I kept getting lost and couldn’t find the sofas where you were sitting. I tried to instruct myself to remember to tell you about the dream, this morning when I woke up (and it must have worked!). Heh...
I’m no Freudian – and I don’t interpret dreams much – but lots of doors and getting lost; I suppose it’s about feeling a little stressed out right now.

I do feel a bit lost at ‘work’ – and I hate the feeling of “I’m not really sure what I’m doing right now”. And while I do know this practice is about being a student, being new, being a trainee, being there to learn – it’s still stressful. A steep learning curve is interesting, good, challenging, etc – but it’s still stressful.
And yes – I’ll stop complaining now…
I know it’s a good thing that I get to work with people – and it’s good to feel that what I do makes a difference. I totally understand what you’re talking about, Ang. It’s one of the main motivators for me too.
And sorry January sucked for you – here’s hoping February will be better!!!

I have to stop having peanut butter in the house (and yes, Ang: I prefer the natural, crunchy kind – do you?!). Are you able to have things like that in the cupboard and not eat it? It’s really one of the major triggers for me. I can let chocolate lie opened in the refrigerator for days without eating it, but the peanut butter disappears once it’s in the house!

Renee – how many days are you planning on going to the gym a week? Are you following a set program? Congratulations on a good food day, btw!

I think I’m on the fence when it comes to losing weight right now. I’m a bit off in my eating – not much, but a little. And I have to figure out what’s going on with me, and how I can deal with the stress in a better way than eating (peanut butter ).
Renee – you’re right though: I definitely could start thinking about changing the pace, and start thinking about the specifics. How would it change my present eating – what would change, how would that be, etc.

Ah, well. Have a nice Wednesday!
Old 02-02-2005, 04:33 PM   #56  
Persistent and Stubborn

I just wanted to say hi - I got a pretty good performance review today considering. Super busy - will try to get on later. I hope everyone is doing well.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:08 PM   #57  

Mette- this will be my first week going 3x a week. I'm playing W, F, Su. as my days. I had pizza for lunch. It seems like I've totally fallen apart on the eating side of things. Which is sad since I've made such good strides with the gym and lifting. I think I need to sit down and write out my meal plans or something. Get back into habit. It's even more difficult because I know what success feels like, and not having it is killing me.

I've been debating about paying for a few PT sessions, if only to get a personalized metabolic reading and figure out what a healthy goal is. Maybe for me, weighing 150 and being fit is where I should be, and 130 is a goal that is only leading to failure.

Also mette- how quickly do you build muscle? If I wanted to keep track of my measurements now, how many weeks does it usually take to see a difference. I am slow to acknowledge progress, but hasty to judge it as 'failing'.

The lady for horseback riding lessons never called, and I'll take that as a sign from above to look elsewhere for sure. It's hard to find western riding lessons nearby me though.

Can't think what else to say right now. I am eating a bologna sandwich now, since I hit the gym right after work today. Maybe I will stop and get smoothie ingredients on the way home. I really want a rasberry smoothie.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:46 PM   #58  

Ah crappy. Mette - can you email me that spreadsheet again? I saw it come in when I was at work, and now when I look for it, it's gone!
Old 02-03-2005, 11:23 PM   #59  
Persistent and Stubborn

Renee - do you bring your gym clothes to work? Do you ever problems with being hungry at the end of the day and then not wanting to go workout hungry?

Wow - taxes - I guess I should get on that soon. I guess just one more thing to add to the list.

mette - complain all you want. It's good that you can differentiate between acceptable/good stress from your job and bad stress. In a couple of weeks you'll wonder what all of the fuss was about. Just keep trying your best.

I like smooth/creamy peanutbutter. I'll eat the natural or Reese's. I have to admit that I like the R's better but I know it's not as good for you. I am VERY bad about not letting food sit in my house. It is one reason why I don't keep much food and a major part of my problem. If I have the food I eat too much and if I don't have it I feel deprived. It may be better to not buy it all the time. It's not really the kind of food that you can divide into portions unfortunately. Can you hide it? At least if you don't see it you won't be reminded that it is there. Although it may be a good idea to start thinking about how you would change your eating/life to lose weight again, I would not suggest you do it yet. You need some time to adjust to the "job" and the new schedule. Don't throw too many things in the mix just yet.

Renee - if you feel like you can't get the answers anywhere else, I would recommend that you splurge for the PT sessions. You are being so good about going to the gym and it would be great to keep up the motivation with realistic goals and an appropriate workout plan. Doing things "right" may also help accelerate your progress.

Today I was home because they finally came to finish putting insulation in my house. I needed to get it done but I couldn't afford the day off from work. I have a paper due Tuesday and it's barely started. I don't like the stress at all but I feel like I must do this. It winds me up though and makes it hard to sleep. May I join the club as someone who is not eating well? One of these days I'll get on track. I just don't really know why it hasn't happened yet. I guess it's because I eat to deny the emotions and thoughts that I have about the stress in my life. There's got to be a better way.

Goodnight Ladies.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:02 AM   #60  

Hi ladies,

So much for being part of the group again!! Well, my grandfather has been very sick recently, then better, and then this week, sick again, so I've been spending my evenings with him and my grandma.

Ang, I'm sorry to hear your mother is not better. It is very stressful to watch family members suffer when there's nothing you can do for them. My grandpa is 87 so he's lived a good, long life, but he's determined to live to be 100, so he's going to fight every step of the way.

Other than that, work is still pretty good, although now that I don't smoke I'm realizing just how stressed out it gets me at times. In fact I literally broke out in hives the other day from the stress! Yikes! I'm listening to relaxation CDs, practicing deep breathing, and exercising, so I know that's helping at least a little. As long as I don't "stress eat," I'll be ok. Sounds like we are all definitely experiencing a lot of stress these days!

Mette: Congrats on reaching this phase in your studies; sounds like you will be learning a lot and yes, challenges can be good things!

Renee: Thank you for the welcome back. You have done REALLY well since joining this group, 30 lbs. lost!! That's awsome!

Allright, I hate to cut it short but I should get to bed. Talk to you all soon!
goofgirl is offline   Reply With Quote