Old 01-24-2005, 11:01 AM   #151  

Good Monday morning, ladies!!
Well, after I went to the bathroom and nursed the baby this morning (got to get rid of that extra fluid, ), I weighed 186! Hooray! I have lost 6 pounds. Even better, my clothes are starting to fit MUCH better! Yesterday for church I was actually changing outfits because I had more than one that I LIKED how I looked in (instead of desperately searching for an outfit that doesn't look horrible, like I usually do). That really motivates you, doesn't it?
I haven't exercised since Wednesday so I MUST do it today! Also, I've stayed under about 1400 calories all week, even though I have had a few valentines candy hearts (oh, my downfall, although there are only 140 calories in 40 hearts so they aren't TOO bad), and a piece of birthday cake for my daughter (and of course that candy bar earlier in the week). I figure that as long as my calories are okay and I am under the fat % I want, that it is okay to eat some sweets. I figure that if I am going to have to live this way for the rest of my life that I am going to need to find a way to get SOME sweets in (or I know I would never keep on doing it forever).

SkinnyButt-You know, we watch hardly ANY television at my house. The kids each get 30 minutes of either cartoons, computer time, or nintendo time a day. They can earn extra time if they do extra work or something around the house. My husband and I really don't watch any tv.

Kandice-I don't think that pancakes are that bad for you (unless you drench them in butter and yummy syrup, lol). I like to put some jam on them and they are quite tasty.

Anyway, I am about 5'2 and my ultimate goal is 125. However, I am going to try to get pregnant once I hit 140 (that is considered a "healthy" weight for me). I am going to keep it up during the pregnancy (since it is 4 pregnancies in 6 years that helped me gain all this weight in the first place!!!), but not actively try to lose weight. I am just going to be careful about what I eat. I will need TONS of help then, so hopefully you ladies will still be around to help me control all those cravings!!

Well, back to my crazy life (not to mention I smell a stinky diaper ). Do you ever feel like your life JUST WONT STOP? I have four little kids (ages 7, 5, 3, 1) and my life is so PHYSICALLY busy. I feel like I am constantly changing diapers, bathing kids, brushing teeth, combing hair (I do that a lot with three girls) potty training, dressing kids, feeding kids, cleaning up, doing laundry, picking up kids from preschool/ normal school/piano lessons/soccer practice/basketball practice/dancing lessons/ chess tournaments, etc. At the ages of my children, I have so much I need to teach them in order for them to grow up to be good, responsible adults, but it just takes so much time! I need to teach them to WORK (which makes every task take three times as much time to complete when I'm trying to get the kids to do it). I need to teach them responsibility and respect (which means that I am also a constant mediator). I need to teach them to respect their bodies and to live healthily. In fact, in that area, I have started trying to teach them the importance of exercise. I figure that all adults in today's world will need to exercise 3 or 4 times a week to stay healthy (not many get enought physical exercise through their work anymore, although a few do). I have decided to purchase an exercise video for kids and have them do it three times a week. I will make it fun and do it with them and hopefully it will get them in the habit now of exercising for life. Anyway, I love being a mom more than anything, and I LOVE having a bunch of kids. At this stage in life it just takes so much physical energy. Some days I long for the days when they can all simply dress themselves and get their own drink of water, lol. I know I will miss the baby stage, but sometimes it is hard to see the end of the tunnel.

Sorry to vent like that! Don't get me wrong, I love my kids and can't wait to have more. It is just so much work!! Tell me it's worth it in the end!

Cheers!
Amy
busymom2four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:58 PM   #152  
Proud Bluezer 2011!!!

S/C/G: 277/170s/155

Height: 5'4"

Smile

Hey everyone! I don't have much time to write but wanted to say I'm doing ok, lost 1/4 an in. here and 1/4 an in. there so far.. uggh~!! I am going to weigh on Wed.. taking one child to have his checkup so I'll use their scale hopefully.

I wanted to say to Amy that I get the same feelings about life with all the kids. Loving them so much but being so physically tired and mentally drained from all the mediating and teaching them. It's such a big job. My husband knows from only being with them on weekends too! One time he was with them for two days without me and he said 'I don't know how you do it everyday!' LOL. They are good most of the time. They have consequences when they aren't, like no TV or games... or time out, etc. And Bryan does very well with them though! He is more fun than I am.. I am always trying to keep the muddy shoes outside instead of walking across the living room carpet, or trying to keep the drinks in the kitchen instead of other rooms. If I don't, I have to scrub stains. So I have to force myself to try to be more relaxed about things, but it's hard. If I don't watch each thing now, then there is more of a mess later. I have 5 kids ages 8,7,4,3, and 2. When my son was tiny I had him as an infant, plus another 3 month old baby and a 18 month old and a 2 year old. All four under the age of 3. Plus we lived in an upstairs apartment which was big enough but was upstairs! You should have seen us carrying all those babies up and down plus the bags and toys, etc. every time we went somewhere. That was hard. I don't know how I did it! At least 3 of my 5 now can brush their teeth and dress themselves. My son is 3. He's learning. We have had a total of 12 foster kids in the last 3 years. Before this, we were parents to 8 exchange students in a span of 3 years. We love kids. One of my teenagers from Brazil called us yesterday. It was his birthday (He called me b4 I had the chance to call him ).. he's 23 now! I feel so old! He calls me mom. And I'm only 31! But I was his mom for a whole year here and he had a blast! We took him everywhere, all of them. We even took him trick or treating. They don't have Halloween so he loved it! LOL.

So glad to hear you are all doing well. I'll write again soon. Hugs!
Soon2BFitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:01 PM   #153  

Default Hello, ladies

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day. Things here are good. I weighed this morning and it seems that the pound gone last week when I tried out my new scales is indeed gone! Woo-hoo! That's three pounds gone since I started this challenge. Yeah-4.5 more to go! I was op this weekend. As a matter of fact, I was under point one day this weekend. My best friend really let me have it for being that much under point. I didn't do it on purpose it just happened that way. I told her I wouldn't let it happen again. I did 50 mins. on ellip on Friday and Saturday and 30 minute pilate yesterday. met my water goals as well.

Dena-congrats on adding more minutes to the elliptical and on losing more of you! You're doing great w/your exercise and you're losing inches. Good for you! I have heard Joyce Meyer. I like her, too. Thanks for your encouragement and kind words. Oh, like the new avatar!

Diana-Thanks for calling me uncommon! Who wants to be common? Anyway, being a mom is my favorite "hat" I wear. If I fail at being a mother, I fail completely. It's a daunting task sometimes but it is worth it. About your eating...are you eating emotionally or is it b/c it's a habit? Ask yourself what's realy going on when you're eating. Also, remember it takes time to break old habits and establish new ones. Remember to be kind to yourself. You can do it, Dianna. We're all sending you strength and good thoughts to overcome!!

Fit chick-Congrats on your inches gone! Woo-hoo! I know it's hard when things are happening slowly but that's the best way for it to happen. Hang in there! Thanks for your encouragement about being a mom and my exercise. Boy, you are one busy woman w/that many kids! I love kids as well and constantly have kids in and out of our house. But, I wouldn't have it any other way. We hope to be foster parents someday. Probably within the next year or so. Have some other things to get taken care of first. You sound like you have a lively, loving home. I'm sure all the children who are blessed to be there are better it.

Amy-I think all parent's who do their job as parents the way it needs to be done feel the way you feel sometimes: like all the activity is never going to end! It seems that you get one thing done only to have three other new chores waiting for you, especially when the kids are little like yours are. Just hang in there and keep being the good mommy that you are. I assure you, it will be worth it. Soon, you'll be doing what I was doing the other day and looking at your soon to be sixteen year old and thinking where did the time go? Have I taught her everything she needs to know? Will she be okay at college? Sometimes I wish she was 2 again when mommy was all powerful, all healing and all knowing! *sigh* But I know there are some things that my kids have to learn themselves, no matter how much it hurts her or me! It's hard to raise good kids but if you stick w/it, I can tell you it's definitely worth it. When you hear your child say, Yes ma'am, no ma'am; when you hear them firmly but lovingly stand up for what they believe, even if it isn't the norm, when you see them hug someone who's in pain, when they are teenagers and still want you to tuck them in at night, when they tell you they missed you when you were gone last weekend b/c no one else's shoulders hold their heads quite the same as yours when they lean on you, you will shed a tear, send a prayer of thanks heavenward and say, yep-it was worth it!! Hang in there, sweetie. You are in the middle of the toughest, most rewarding "job" of your life.

Have a great day. Talk to everyone later. If I forgotten anyone, my apologies.

We're all doing so well! Yeah-us!!! ((((hugs))))
skinny_butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:34 AM   #154  
A Mom

S/C/G: 227/206/147

Height: 5' 2"

Hi ladies,
thanksfor the encouragement.
I'm going to weigh in tomorrow morning, in case you wanted to know.
To those who lost, congrats, and keep it up. You're an inspiration!
Had a good bike today, 29 k's. My farthest so far. I bike 60min everyday.
My SIL watches Joyce Meyer everyday. I don't even know when she's on.
Good night,
Diana
DewCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 09:46 AM   #155  

Default Good morning, ladies!

Hope today finds everyone doing well. Things here are fine. I met my water goals, was op and got in 40 minutes on the elliptical. Feeling pretty good this morning. The last couple nights of sleep have been very, very restful.

Well, have a great day. Take care.
skinny_butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 09:53 AM   #156  

some good/ weird, and upsetting news today.

upsetting= Chris ran into a cow today on his way to work. the cow ran across the road and chris swerved to miss, but it was too late. not a lot of damage because he swerved, but still it's enough. his windshield is gone on the side (he's got a chevy lumnia van and it has like 3 windshields) and the main windshield is cracked pretty good. we have a $250 deductible so that's $250 that we weren't planning on spending. he missed an hour of work now to wait for highway patrol... ugh! he's fine though. I went to check on him- it only happened a mile from our house. he said he was fine, but he's a "man" and wouldn't admit it shook him up pretty bad. He found the cow in the ditch- I think he broke it's leg.

Now for the good/ weird news. I weighed myself today (as I do everyday) and I was back down to 173 today. how in the world did I lose 4 lbs over the course of a day?! (I did use the bathroom, but still ) so that puts me at 178 on the curves scale meaning I stayed the same this week. Yesterday the boys were having Chicken helper and I asked Chris just to make me a plain chicken breast that I had with cheese and green peppers, and I ate well all day yesterday, less than 20 carbs (phase 1). Today I planned for 24 carbs. So maybe I'll even see an improvement tomorrow.
If this is going to work this way forever (they say it is), this is something I can stick to. Eating what I want for a while and then dieting 1-2 days and getting rid of it. the dieting isn't even so bad anyways, not really depriving myself of anything.

Interesting fact I read in Low Carb living- Your body needs carbs, because carbs= glucose (sugar). The brain is the most important part of the body that needs sugar to survive. so if you have a low carb lifestyle, and don't supply your brain with enough carbs to make sugar with, then it has to go out and look for it, in the form of protein. It takes energy for the body to break down the protein into the glucose so you're buring calories while you sit!

Not trying to get anyone onto LC, because it seems everyone's diets are working for them, but just thought it was a neat little fact.

Dena- congrats on making goal already! did you set a new one for yourself to start working on?

Amy- 6lbs! congrats! With the 4 kids and all the activities, no wonder it's falling off! you must feel so good about yourself! (and pancakes are like 32 carbs I think, so in my day of 40-60 carbs, that's most of them, the rest of the day I would need to eat very low carbs to stay good.)

Diana- way to go on the bike yesterday! keep it up!

everyone else- just stopping in to say Hi and make sure everyone's doing alright!
KandiceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:29 AM   #157  
Proud Bluezer 2011!!!

S/C/G: 277/170s/155

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone! You all are doing very well! Wanted to tell you about a website I found. www.lowfatlifestyle.com. It's interesting. It's pretty much the way I am doing it. So if any of you are too, you should go check it out. It has some links to counters, calculators, etc. I am doing ok, went over a little yesterday but not in fat, just in cals. So that's a little better than going over in both! Hope to do better today. Still at over 15,000 steps a day plus all my toning exercises. The food, not going over, and all that is my hardest part... not so much the water or the exercise. Ugghh!! ah well... gotta run, keep up the good work y'all! :-)
Soon2BFitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 04:39 PM   #158  

I had to take a minute to tell everyone to go look at Selina's pics! wow! Girl you do NOT look 220! I can't wait to see a picture at 200 and even goal!

keep it up!
Old 01-25-2005, 04:48 PM   #159  

Hi there ladies!
I am doing well today! I bought a new The Firm video (I have a bunch, and the stuff. I LOVE them, lol). It was fun and got me back to exercising. I haven't exercised since last Wednesday . Anyway, I feel great. Today when I weighed in, I had lost ANOTHER pound. What is up with that anyway? I go an entire week not losing anything and then I lose two pounds in two days? Maybe I was just having weird water weight or something. Anyway, I now weigh 185. I've lost 7 pounds and feel great. I love that even with all my clothes on, at the end of the day (my heaviest weight time) the scale says under 190 (usually about 189). I just can't wait to keep losing.

Thanks for the encouragement about the kids, ladies! You all have more kids than I do! What am I complaining about?!? Seriously, I know how important and great it is being a mother, I was just having one of those days. You know?
Well, gotta go pick my son up from school.

Catch ya all later!
Amy

SW: 192
CW: 185
GW: 140
busymom2four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:54 AM   #160  
A Mom

Hi all,
it's weird how there's a few of us that are reporting "interesting" losses. This morning I had lost 1 pound from yesterday, which is the pound I had expected to lose this last week. So now I'm saying htat this last week I lost 1 pound and not "stayed the same". Anyways, I know that sounds dumb, but hey it makes me feel better.
Diana
Old 01-26-2005, 10:41 AM   #161  

Diana- makes me happy to say I stayed the same last week and not gained! I was the same today too- 173 naked.

I track my weight everyday on my excel spreadsheet and graph and it's been interesting (jan 12th was when I hit 173 for the first time and been bouncing along since)...
1/15/2005 175
1/16/2005 173
1/17/2005 173
1/18/2005 175
1/19/2005 176
1/20/2005 176
1/21/2005 173
1/22/2005 175
1/23/2005 176
1/24/2005 177
1/25/2005 173
1/26/2005 173

I've been eating good the past couple of days- I really want to see 172 for the first time...
Old 01-26-2005, 11:22 AM   #162  

I got the 100 calorie packs from Curves one time in a gift bag- oreo chips.. anyways it's 100 healthy living tips- they only have 38 posted so far- but thought I'd share...

http://www.nabiscoworld.com/100calor...s/100tips.aspx

#1. Drink more water! Add a twist of lemon or lime to a tall glass of ice water and drink to your health!

#2. Find an exercise buddy at work and schedule time together to work out.

#3. Pack your own lunch and you’ll have greater control over what you’re eating.

#4. Lighten up that salad. Try dipping your fork into a side of dressing before stabbing those greens.

#5. Studies show that laughter is therapeutic, so go ahead--let loose!

#6. Try to exercise! Join a local gym or fitness center. Many facilities now offer single gender exercise rooms.

#7. Are you a morning person or an evening person? The best time of day to exercise is the time that best fits your schedule!

#8. Ordering an appetizer with that meal? Try soup made with broth instead of higher calorie menu items.

#9. Consider raking leaves or shoveling snow as an opportunity. A finished job is very rewarding and a good way to burn some calories!

#10. Combine exercise with your top priorities. Catch the morning news while on the treadmill or go for a walk with a friend.

#11. Take your kids to the park and join in the fun. Leave that park bench empty!

#12. Challenge your kids to a game of basketball, volleyball or even duck, duck, goose!

#13. Start a walking club in the neighborhood. It's a great way to combine exercise and a chat with friends.

#14. Slow down when you eat. Taking the time to enjoy the food will make you aware of when you are full.

#15. Get ready to dance. It's a great way to get in some exercise and have fun with your kids.

#16. Watching TV? Try some stretching or stepping as you catch your favorite show.

#17. Remember to eat breakfast – it’s the most important meal of the day and the one that gets your body going.

#18. Teach your kids to play baseball, basketball or your favorite sport. It's great for them and you'll get some exercise too!

#19. Participate in a charity walk. It's a great way to get some exercise while you help others.

#20. Exercise for healthy bones. Walking (or other weight-bearing exercise) is a great activity that can help maintain bone density!

#21. Enjoy the great outdoors. No matter the time of year, outside activities can raise your spirits and keep you motivated.

#22. Get the whole family moving to foster physical activity and build family memories.

#23. Think of a snack as a small meal. It can give you an energy boost and help bridge the gap between regular meals.

#24. Exercise during rush hour! When you're finished, your commute will be easier and quicker.

#25. Salad plates aren’t just for salad anymore – serve up dinner on a smaller plate to keep sensible portions in perspective.

#26. Kids sporting events are a great opportunity to exercise. Don't sit in the bleachers, walk the perimeter of the field as you cheer on those pint size athletes!

#27. Exercise can be fun--think of it as recess for adults.

#28. Eating out? Choose menu items listed as baked, broiled, grilled, poached or roasted.

#29. Be sure to get your rest. Choose a comfortable pillow and you’re on your way.

#30. It's okay to have small indulgences. Just be sure to use portion control.

#31. Be a role model. Your children are more likely to embrace healthy eating and exercise if they watch you lead the way!

#32. Jazz up mundane household chores with some music, get your feet moving, and have fun!

#33. Get moving after a meal. Walk around the block after dinner or visit a friend down the street.

#34. Eating out? Try to avoid that basket of bread on the table and save your appetite (and calories) for the meal.

#35. As you begin to feel and look fitter and healthier, you may gain confidence.

#36. Reward fitness milestones with new exercise gear or a post-workout massage.

#37. Let your tummy do the talking – when you start to feel full, put down the fork and pick up the conversation.

#38. Get a little exercise by walking around the mall for 15 minutes before you start shopping.

Enjoy!
Old 01-26-2005, 05:04 PM   #163  

S/C/G: 177/134/132

Height: 5'5

Wow, Kandice, those are some wonderful tips. Thank you!
You're doing great. Keep up the great work.

The past few days I've been really struggling. I don't know why. It seems I do really great for a while, and then I forget everything I learned. I think it's that darn scale. I know I lost inches, but was truly discouraged when the scale hasn't budged. So, now that I pulled myself up again, I'm going to try a lower carb version of what I've been doing. And see how that works. Wish me luck, because I've tried something like that before, and I'm not that good at it. Kandice, how do you do it? I need your support now.
Thanks and hugs,
Dena
Den@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 05:47 PM   #164  
A Mom

Dena, you can do it!!! I went ot a step aerobics class at the gym today, and if I can do that, you can do anything. They have childcare during their aerobics classes so it is an option for me. I'm going out for a while, need some different scenery.
Diana
Old 01-26-2005, 07:28 PM   #165  

S/C/G: 177/134/132

Height: 5'5

Diana,

Thanks for your encouragement! I'm doing better now. I guess I needed a change in scenery, too. I think this crazy weather has something to do with it. It's been raining and chilly again. All you want to do is stay warm and eat. Not good. I decided to go to the gym (which is not easy when you are on a downward spiral), But after I went, I felt better. In fact, I went on the elliptical for 10 minutes today! I also did the treadmill and weight machines.

Diana, good for you for going to the aerobics class!! And thank you for caring. You really helped.
Hugs,
Dena
Den@ is offline   Reply With Quote