Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 02:31 AM   #286  

Hi Ladies,

How are you all? Sorry I don't have time to address everyone individual. I have a major head and got up to take something for it. Couldn't resist saying hello to you all.

Monday was good 1321 cals and 20 mins weight lifting. It's soo hard to resist all of this food. Everyone has the Christmas spirit and baking tons! Reina I wish I had your will power. I asked hubby to stop by Krispy Kreme on his way home the other night. He said nope, diet remember? Sooo that's the only way I was saved.

Take everyone
Old 12-10-2002, 09:45 AM   #287  
I will make it!

Angry Good Morning Ladies

Well lets see, last night I consumed 1621 cals and 56 grams of fat! yay for lowering my fat grams...very hard for me...I exercised for 25 minutes and burned off 300 cals for a grand total of 1321...pretty good.

Miki...please consider the fact that eating too few calories is just as bad as eating too many...if you consistently eat too few calories, your body will think it is in starvation mode and store any calories taken in there after. Also, you will slow down your metabolism...and in the long run, you are weakening your body...making it more suseptible to disease...so take care of you, you are very important to you and your family...feed your body good food...try to stay about 1200 cals...Ok, a big hug to you and your little boy ...I hope he is feeling better

PreciousOne, give your hubby a big hug for supporting your efforts...he seems very considerate of your health journey and his actions speak louder than anything....very nice to read your post because support is so important when we are trying to change our relationship to and with food for a better healthier one. Also, I am very inspired by your efforts to keep exercising...weight lifting is great for increasing your metabolism and losing weight...so kudos to you. And you also seem to have a good handle on your cal consumption...keep going

Hi Taiwan...keep at it, soon you will fall into a healthy diet and exercise that works for you...this health journey is very idividualistic and what works for you might not work for anyone else...the important thing is that it is sensible and not too depriving...remember...its for life! and the benefits are a long healthy life, feeling good about yourself, looking good, feeling sexy, do I need to go on The banana and cherry tomatoes are very good snacks...kudos to you for making wise choices...tomatoes are very high in lutene...a great antioxident and cancer fighting agent.

Hi Debee, glad to see you with us...is sound like you have very little weight to lose...so go slow, make a healthy change...you should be losing about a pound a week...this way, your weight loss will be for life because you will have changed your eating habits to promote a good healthy lifestyle...and dont forget to exercise!...dont wait for the new year...start exercising now and join our pre-new years resolution to stay on track through the hollidays.

Lisa and Reina...looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Annie, Cjunk...I hope you come back soon...I miss you guys and your infinite wisdom

LadyRider...I am looking forward to you coming back soon and I hope you are having a wonderful trip.

Take care y'all

Cyan
Old 12-10-2002, 10:41 AM   #288  
I will make it!

Smile Must Read Article

How To Resolve To Eat Better
Do you plan each year to do your body some good? Making small changes in diet and exercise will reap big rewards -- and keep those resolutions intact.

By Jeanie Davis
WebMD Feature
Reviewed By Michael Smith, MD

Lose weight, eat less junk food -- they top many lists of New Year's resolutions. But sticking with those good intentions is just not easy.

The problem: "Most people have unrealistic expectations," says Cynthia Sass, a nutritionist with the University of South Florida in Tampa and a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association.

"They decide this is the year they're going to completely change everything about their diet," she tells WebMD. "That's just too hard to do."

Willpower isn't the issue, says Sass. "Willpower is about depriving yourself, and nobody gets excited about that. Besides, depriving yourself is depressing and leads to bingeing. Focus on the positives -- you feel better, have more energy, when you eat healthy."

When making dietary changes, "start small," she says. "Set a few realistic goals. In the long run, you'll have better self-esteem and more self-confidence because you'll actually stick with them."

Here are a few tips for a healthier diet and lifestyle:

· Don't skip breakfast, says Heidi Reichenberger, another ADA spokeswoman based in Boston. "Skipping breakfast gives you the munchies later on and slows your metabolism down." She advises starting the day with yogurt and fruit or whole-grain cereal with low-fat milk.

· Don't skip any meals or snacks, says Sass. "Try not to let more than five hours go by without eating. Waiting too long can zap energy, and can lead to overeating later. Eat a (healthy) snack between lunch and dinner, maybe right before leaving work, so you will be less likely to grab snack foods once you get home."

· Include a total of 30 minutes of activity every day. "It doesn't have to be all at once," Reichenberger tells WebMD. If it takes 10 minutes to walk from the bus stop, get off at the next furthest stop so you get a few more minutes walking. And walk it briskly -- you can lose some weight, improve your cardiovascular system, and sleep better.

· Drink fewer sodas and other sweetened drinks, like iced tea. A big bottle of a juice-based drink can contain 300 calories -- and those calories add up. Drink water instead. Or mix juice and water, so you're not drinking something so heavily loaded with sugar.

· Aim to eat five servings of fruits and vegetables every day.

· Buy pre-cut fruits and vegetables, so you can grab them when you're hungry.

· Keep frozen veggies in the fridge. They are easy, quick, and rich in nutrients. Take them to work for a quick lunch you can heat in the microwave. Season with black pepper, herbs, lemon juice, or a red wine-and-balsamic vinegar dressing.

· Bring snacks to work -- such as pretzels, fruit, and yogurt -- so you won't find yourself at the vending machine every afternoon.

· When fixing a salad, sprinkle rolled oats or crunchy whole-grain cereal for added fiber, so you'll feel full.

· Fix pasta dishes with veggies and lean protein (like canned tiny shrimp, tuna canned in water, precooked chicken breast, or soy crumbles). Adding protein and veggies to pasta allows you to cut back on the amount of pasta (which is high in carbohydrates) while still feeling full.

· Also, hand-select a variety of fruits instead of buying one large bag of the same fruit. "After the third or fourth day of apples, you'll likely be sick of them," says Sass. "Mixing up a few different types of apples, one pear, one banana will keep you from getting bored."

Originally published Jan. 14, 2002.
Medically updated September 2002.
© 2002 WebMD Inc. All rights reserved.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:05 AM   #289  

I did it again, I had a great post to everyone, and I accidently opened an email with a website and it wiped out my entire post.

Sorry ladies. I hope you all have a better day today.
I totally spilled my guts about changing my eating patterns and it is all gone. and it totally came from the heart because I can't remember a word of it now.

I promise to post tonight, I have some major testing to do today at work, so I will be unavailable today.

Miki, I hope Luke is feeling better today. And I hope you have a great day.

PreciousOne, keep up the good work, I knew you would find your way back.

Taiway, you keep exercising girl. You are doing great.

Lisa, I know for sure those 5lbs will certainly come right off, once you get back to your old regimen. So you had a bad week, It is over, and you are on a new path to come back from that, so I am holding you to that challenge to eat right and lose 2 lbs.

Have a great day everyone, I have to go.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:56 AM   #290  

Angry Good Morning!

Good morning! Good morning! Good morning! Well, I have to say that since I got back on track yesterday, I feel awesome!!! I had 29 points when I added it all up, but with the workout, I'm sure I burned off 2 or 3 points, which is good. Today, I've been to the gym already. I actually got there a little early so I could get on the treadmill for 10 minutes before the Body Defined class started...so I had already burned 85 calories before the class...not a lot but better than 0!
I keep having to stop typing to yell at our pig, Hamlet. He's searching the floor for food, but I have to watch because sometimes he stops to pee pee. Or he eats my magazines on the floor.
I had a Slim Fast for Breakfast and I'm having sauteed zuchinni with cheese (only 2points) and a Root Beer Float..with diet root beer and low-fat no sugar added frozen yogurt..it's delicious and only 2 points!!!
My workout was great but I can tell my butt needs the most work because it's the hardest area for me to work. It hurts so BAD!!!

Well, my son is begging me to hurry up and take a shower so I can fix him lunch afterwards. So, I'll do some personal messages later. I have to study. I have two tests tonight for my last Anatomy and Physiology class!

Bye
Old 12-10-2002, 02:09 PM   #291  

Thumbs up Chinese Food

Ok,
I just had to post this.
Here I am stressed by deadlines tonight, so everyone here ordered Chinese Food. I didn't know what to order so someone recommend KungPaoChicken...

I am trying it and it is pretty good, and I thought well, it's chicken right?
WRONG

I just happen to look up nutritional content, and came across this section that i just had to show you all

..The Center's study analyzed the nutritional content of 15 popular dishes from 20 mid-priced Chinese restaurants around the country. Believe it or not, a 2 1/2 cup portion of Kung Pao Chicken contained 38 grams of fat, equivalent to two fast food quarter pounders. Two cups of Orange Crispy Beef was found to have over 800 calories, equal to about two orders of large French fries at a fast food restaurant.

Oh My God, I would have been much happier just eating 2 orders of McDonald's French fries.
Well, I just I am going to have to going to have to take a 30 minute break and do a brisk walk around my building...

If anyone knows of any good chinese dishes that are low in fat and cals. please let me know. Taiwan, I hope to hear from you on this, because I know you said you were having a hard time when that is all you can eat. I like Chinese food, and they order here alot, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lisa, Good for you. I knew you would be back into it.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:05 PM   #292  

Hi! everyone seems so motivated and positive. I wish I could be but today was not a good day. I tried on some Christmas outfits and got so depressed that I ate a bowl of nachos.
Because I am petite these 30 extra pounds (mostly in my stomach and hips) make me look like I am expecting. In fact, a woman I had not seen in a few years asked me when the next child was on the way. Talk about motivation to go on a diet!
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for any low calorie snack foods (that deit rootbeer float sounded great) I try eating popcorn, chex mix and carrot sticks but I crave McDonald french fries .
Old 12-10-2002, 08:17 PM   #293  
I will make it!

Angry Evening Ladies

Boy do I have a victory to tell you about...today, at work, very tired, very sluggish...I didnt sleep well at all last night..so I ate, stayed on track but towards quiting time, visions of McDonalds appeared before me and as I head down the stairs...I was determined that I was going to eat a BigMac and a McChicken...yes girls...two burgers...for real...so when I got to the corner where the golden arches are, I look inside, open the door and wait in line....in line, I was able to convince myself that I was too important to sabotage my success and that I really didnt want the BigMac and McChicken....I turned around and left...for real...from inside McDonald's, smelling the food, next in line, I turned around and walked out the door WooHoo...what a victory for me...and I ate a sensible meal for dinner so, my total cals for today is 1468 and 42 grams of fat...I exercised for 30 minutes for a distance of 9.5 km and burned off 350 cals for a grand total of 1118....yahoooooooooo!!!!!

Ok, sorry for all my gloating but it was such a good feeling to be in control.

Well I gotta do some weights and take a shower....be strong, stay motivated cause its a great feeling...and you are worth it!

Cyan
Old 12-10-2002, 10:55 PM   #294  

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/chat.php

Before I forget it, there's the link to the chatroom for any of you who dont know where to find it. I first got a plain gray screen with nothing on it, but if you "Refresh", it should come up fine. May take a min or so tho. Im going to try, if at all possible, to go in there tomorrow nite around 9pm central. I'd love to see some of you there.

My calories for today are low again, and I just finished doing 25 minutes of my AirWalker. Josh had a ballgame again tonite ( in town at least) so I had to work thru my lunch hour in order to get off for it again. By the time I got off I was starving to death so I ran thru the Subway drive-thru and got me a 6 inch veggie subway and had a handful of Baked Doritos chips with it. That was around 4:30 this afternoon. The game started at 5. When I got home, I cooked hamburgers but it was only a little after 6 so I wasnt hungry yet since I ate so late. It's 9:00 now and I just ate some FatFree vanilla pudding and an orange. My calories are still under 1000. ( of course I havent gone to bed yet either lol ) No ballgame tomorrow so believe me, calories will be higher for sure. Plus Thurs and Fri hubby and I are going out of town shopping, which means eating out and eating something yummy! ( Dont worry Cyan I promise I havent gone too far the other way. I love food just as much as always!)I"m actually going to cook a REAL supper tomorrow. lol It's just that when I work thru lunch, even tho I havent had any calories yet, I cant see grabbing something greasy and fried rather than the healthier veggie sub just because I can spare the calories. I havent purposely stayed under 1000 the last 2 days. Just worked out that way. I'm going to TRY to get up in time for some cereal or something in the morning but I have never liked eating before around 9 a.m. I have to leave for work by 7:30. Wish I was more of a morning person! One thing I love more than eating is SLeeping!

Luke is better today. Kept him out of school again because he still has a bad cough but no high fever, thank goodness! He may be able to go back to school tomorrow. Bad time to miss since this semester is almost over and he needs to be studying and not getting behind right here at the end. 5th graders have lots more homework now than I had in 5th grade!! Actually he brings home more than Josh does, who is in 7th grade.

Reina...I hated hearing the bad news about the Chinese foods. I had seen an article about that also on the homepage of 3FC a week or so ago. Not sure if it's still there. I hate that...I LOVE Chinese food!! Thats really depressing to think about how high in fat and calories some of it is. Even more depressing to think thats probably what I'll eat Thurs or Fri when we go shopping and those buffets are what get me everytime. I just cannot pass up seconds usually. ( Hey, just remembered tho that with my sis last week, I actually did that! Hmmm..could I do that TWICE?? Guess we'll find out huh? lol ) Hubby doesnt have the willpower that my sis does tho. Ya'll cross your fingers that I wont totally blow it.

Cyan, you are the QUEEN of Will power!!!! Turning down McDonald food while being IN McDonalds????????? That is the ULTIMATE!!! Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa, everytime I read something about Hamlet I cant help but laugh. I bet he's a cutie. How did you happen to decide on a pig as an indoor pet??? lol

Precious One, hope your headache eases up soon. Nice to hear you have a hubby who's supportive of what you're trying to do.

Taiwan, now I'm confused. Did you post today?? Or was that yesterday? lol I dont think I saw one from you. If not, wanted to tell you I missed you! If you did, sorry I must have skipped it somehow.

Debee, dont do like I did all weekend! I totally blew everything I was working for. Gained back 2 of the 8 lbs I had lost and was totally disgusted with myself. In the end, I realized food is NOT WORTH how bad I felt about myself afterwards.

Ok, my stomach is growling now. It's almost 10 pm and I hate eating this late. Hmmm...what could I have? Kinda in the mood for a baked potato but hate eating them so late. (besides I like them with butter, sour cream, cheese, and bacon bits ) Maybe I'll just go to bed. Not sure yet. Anyway, I do need to get off this computer. Another early day tomorrow, then off the rest of the week...yesssssssssssss

NITE ALL.....have a great day tomorrow!

MIKI
Old 12-11-2002, 09:30 AM   #295  

Default happy Hump Day

Good morning ladies! I have to start out by saying...CYAN Good for you!! WOW!! First of all, I can't believe you actually were going to eat 2 burgers!!!! Now, that's a craving! You have now motivated even more. YOU ROCK!

Debee, some low fat snacks that I like...Smart Pop Popcorn. It's got like 7 grams of fiber and very little calories. YUMMY! Also, I like sugar free jello with fat free whip cream. I also like Slim Fast for Breakfast. Another good snack is an egg...fried, boiled or whatever. Also, try really hard to drink your water. It will make you feel full.

MikiG, about Hamlet. When my hubby and I met, he said he would really like to have a Pot Bellied Pig as a Pet. I said forget it! No WAY! Then in April of this year, I saw a baby one at a petting zoo at my daughter's preschool carnival. It was so cute. So in May we decided to take the plunge. I called all over Wichita one day and finally found someone who had 4 babies who were ready to go. So we paid $45 and took home the only one who wasn't solid black. He was so tiny. When we picked him up he would scream so loud. He only weighed about 7 pounds. He was cute. Emphasis on the word WAS. Now he's probably about 40 pounds. He pees on the floor, he won't stay off my water bed, he foams at the mouth when he's hungry, he eats paper, and he is just weird. He does add some humoruous moments to our life because he has this personality that is very funny. The life expectancy is 18 to 20 years....so I guess I 'll have to learn to live with him. Luckily, he's not too big for the doggy door....yet.
We have a dog named Penny, too!
Well, I had 25 points yesterday. I'm really sore from working out. I'm going to weigh myself today and see if I've made any progress. I think the gym scale is different than the one at the doctor's office. I'm officially done with Anatomy and Physiology! I got that B. I have a Lifetime Fitness test tonight and then I'm done for the semester!
I hope LadyRider is back soon! I miss her! I also really miss Cjunk! And Annie!
Well, I hope everyone has a great day!
Lisa
Old 12-11-2002, 09:42 AM   #296  
I will make it!

Angry Good Morning Ladies

Lisa I am with you...I miss those guys too...I hope they are well and in good spirits.

Guys thanks for your pat on my back...I appreciate it...its a sunny day here today at not very cold as far as winter goes. The day is early so not much to report...except that my Mom is not doing so well, so keep your fingers crossed for her and if you pray, pray for her.

Thats it for now

Cyan
Old 12-11-2002, 11:57 AM   #297  
I will make it!

Post Must Read

Beat bad holiday habits
Avoid common health concerns during the festive season

by Heather Camlot

Is this really the most wonderful time of the year? Sure, you may reunite with loved ones, open presents and get a few days off from work but you may also overeat, drink excessively, stress out and lose sleep. Joy to the world.

The season’s pressures are abundant, but you can reduce their harmful health effects. Here’s how:

Food consumption
While running errands during the festive season, you can forget to eat. But, explains Gina Sunderland, a dietitian at St. Boniface General Hospital in Winnipeg, skipping meals lowers the metabolic system, leading to weight gain. It can also lower your immune system. Before heading out, pack some yogourt, cheese or fruit, she suggests. And, if needed, take a well-balanced multivitamin-mineral supplement.

On the flipside, over-consumption, especially of fatty foods, can also lead to weight gain, as well as diabetes and heart disease, says Sunderland. "We need to take the concept of moderation to heart. Think of the buffet [at a holiday party] as a menu; pick what you really want."

Alcohol indulgence
Having a few too many at a party can leave you hung over, headachey and uncomfortable. Save yourself the pain and suffering by concentrating on prevention. "Plan how many drinks you’re going to have," offers Frederick Rotgers, associate professor of psychology at the Philadelphia College of Ostheopathic Medicine and author of Responsible Drinking (New Harbinger Publications, 2002). Throughout the evening, Rotgers suggests "no more than four [alcoholic drinks] for men and three for women."

For another way to avoid overdrinking, Rotgers recommends nursing your drinks – one per hour – alternating between alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, drinking water or soft drinks to satisfy thirst and drinking alcoholic beverages only at mealtimes.

Stress elevation
Stressors — such as financial worry and holiday shopping — can trigger negative feelings and depression. The severity may worsen for those who don’t have fulfilling family relations or for those who have recently lost a loved one. According to Health Canada, planning ahead and creating a prioritized task checklist can decrease stress. Ask for help to complete tasks, let go of unrealized tasks, take advantage of employee assistance programs and find time for yourself – be it a nap or yoga class.

Sleep deprivation
A little sleepiness, irritability and poor performance may not be terrible prices to pay for a great night out, but be aware of the dangers of drowsiness. "The biggest concern is people driving under those conditions," says Dr. Helen Driver, of the Sleep Disorders Laboratory at the Kingston General Hospital, in Kingston, Ont. "There are an increased number of road accidents [because] of tired drivers."

Of course, the best way to avoid drowsiness is to give your body the amount of sleep it needs but, for a temporary solution, a cup of coffee may do the trick. Caffeine, explains Driver, can perk you up for about four hours post-consumption. She also suggests drinking sufficient amounts of water to counteract the extra alcohol you may consume during the holidays, keeping to as regular a sleep schedule as possible and getting at least four hours of consolidated sleep.

"We can all function on a bit of sleep deprivation," says Driver. "But try to sleep a little later one morning, and use the holidays to get back into the rhythm for work or school."

Heather Camlot is a Toronto-based freelance writer who covers a variety of topics including health, entertainment, travel, fashion and home décor.
MochaSofa, December 2002
Old 12-11-2002, 12:05 PM   #298  

Guess What!!???? I went to the gym today and after my workout, I weighed myself.....drum roll please.....I've already lost 3 POUNDS!!!! Since Monday!!! I am so glad I had you guys to help pick me up after I fell! That is so exciting!!!! I feel awesome. So, now that I know I've done good. I don't want to sabotage myself again. I won't reward myself with food!!! I had a Slim Fast for breakfast and I'll probably have zuchinni for lunch. YUMMY!!! My reward is feeling GREAT and strong and happy .

MikiG...If you are going to try to be here tonight at 9pm to chat I will try also. That would be soooooooooo cool! It would be really cool if we had a weekly or biweekly "appt" for all us girls to report and chat.

oh yeah, I'd love to send you a picture of our pig. If anyone wants, email me and I'll email you a picture of the pig and my gorgeous kids if you're interested! [email protected]

See ya
Lisa.....3 pounds lighter
Old 12-11-2002, 12:51 PM   #299  

Hello,

Cyan way to go! Thanks for the articles. Congratulations Lisa. Glad to see everyone is doing good.

Another gloomy day. I had to kick my butt to get out of bed and exercise this morning. I had breakfast( 3egg whites) and a little snack (1/2 cup Crispex baked with Italian Dressing) a few hours ago now I'm ready for a nap! Be back to check in tonight.

Hope everyone is having a great day.
Old 12-11-2002, 02:27 PM   #300  

Default Great Rewards

Cyan,
You so deserve to wear the 3FC Crown for WillPower
YOU ROCK! for passing up McDonalds, and not even that, for passing it up even when you are already inside.....

Lisa,
You too, congrats on losing 3 more pounds. Now you are feeling good and back on track. You are a great motivation to us all. Congrats on completing your Anatomy and Phsiology Course.

Miki, I am glad to hear that Luke is doing better. Have fun with the hubby this weekend shopping. I know how the buffets can be. If you had the willpower once, you will have it again.. And if it has to be chinese, go for the steamed veggies. THose are the least amount of calories and fat.

Debee, I totally understand, I have alot of my weight in my stomach and I am barely 5"0". So I know how hard it is for us petite women. As a snack, I grill veggies and snack on those. The item being hot helps trick the stomach into thinking it is filled up.

I hope to have a good and light day, but that time of month has approaced a few days early and I can't help but eat around this time. So Wish me luck
Have a Blessed day everyone
Closed Thread