Old 02-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 209/201.8/155

Height: 163cm

Kel as long as the vegies aren't white (ie white potato) you can fill yourself up on them. I eat heaps of green and yellow vegetables - and when I want to 'fill' up a meal I just add more spinach or broccoli.

Amy any fire is scary - I've been in bushfires and a house fire, and none of them are good.

I am determined to have a good day today. I am slowly getting back on track, and there's no doubt I will get there. It's just really slow, and I have some important life lessons to learn from this.

Not sure what they are yet, but I'll eventually discover them .

Have a good weekend everyone. I'm off to work shortly, so I had better go and get ready.
PerthChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:48 AM   #47  
Blue Team Member

S/C/G: 297/229/150

Height: 5'5/168cm

thought it was time for a new picture too .. since i cut a foot or two off my hair.. lol.. i think it looks ok,... but wish so much hadn't gone..

The pool had turned the ends green and it was clumping at the ends like an old paint brush ... i told the hair dresser to cut it to where it was healthy.... HA .... im suprised im not now bald......

went to a birthday party today didnt over do it but have now decided its a free ish day... lol... dont wanna know.. dont wanna regret it and start the whole i blew it so why not.... craig harper was so right about.. hop your all haveing a great sunday .. mines been fabulous..
amouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:52 AM   #48  
Blue Team Member

oh umm thought i posted the craig harper thing here.. lol but i didnt here it is.. i think its great

Here is the article...

The first bit is Craig talking to one of his clients.

CH: "So how's your eating going?" (I didn't know the answer at this stage)
SR: (drops head and avoids eye contact with me)
CH: "Er, hello?" (trying to make eye contact)
SR: "Don't ask?"
CH: "Why not?"
SR: "I f***ed up - again."
CH: "What happened?"
SR: "I was going great, I hadn't eaten anything bad since before New Year and then last Saturday night I blew it all."
CH: "You blew five weeks of great work (diet, exercise) in one night? That's quite the achievement. How did you do it?"
SR: "My husband and I had a fight, he went to bed and I ate a whole block of chocolate."
CH: "And?"
SR: "What do you mean... and?"
CH: "Well, after you ate the chocolate, then what did you do?"
SR: "I felt physically sick and mentally disgusted with myself, so I went to bed."
CH: "And when you got up on Sunday, what did you do then? Did you do your exercise and eat a healthy breakfast?"
SR: "No."
CH: "Why not?"
SR: "I was depressed and angry at myself."
CH: "So what did you do?"
SR: "I ate all day because I was mad."
CH: "Did you exercise?"
SR: "No, I was too grumpy."
CH: "That'll help. So the girl who desperately wants to lose weight, eats junk food all day and does zero exercise because she's mad at herself for eating junk food the night before? Your mind is a strange place."
SR: "Well what's the point when I had already blown all that good work?"

An All-Too-Familiar Dialogue

Now, I know this sounds like an unlikely conversation but it's actually not; it's absolutely true and much more common than (some of) you might imagine. But then again, it may seem very familiar to others. I have had this conversation many, many times, with many people. And yes, mostly women. Don't shoot the messenger ladies, just relaying the facts.

What Logic?

The irony of someone choosing to eat junk food on a Sunday because they are depressed about eating junk food on Saturday night is kind of amazing, but not altogether rare. When it comes to maintaining our fitness regime, our diet and our commitment to changing our body, it seems that many of us are fragile at best. Some of us have a default switch that's permanently set to junk food, laziness, self-pity and excuses. It's what we fall back on because we haven't actually made those healthy behaviours non-negotiable habits in our life.

If you identify with the above story in any way, here's a few things to consider and a lesson or two that you might find helpful.

1. The woman I was speaking with had lost 7 kgs (15.4 lbs) since New Years day 2009. Now... in order to regain that weight eating chocolate only, she would need to consume 53,900 calories of milk chocolate (her preference) and that would have to be without expending any energy - which is obviously impossible. How many calories did she actually consume on her Saturday night choc binge? 625. That is, 1 x 125 gram block of milk chocolate. How many of those 125 gram blocks would she need to eat to regain all of her weight? Eighty six - and that would be on top of her normal daily (healthy) eating - because her normal healthy diet would take care of her energy requirements for the day and the excess cals from the choc would provide the additional energy for the weight gain. Do I need to say any more? So was her "I blew it" response something of a ridiculous and inappropriate over-reaction? And then some.

2. It ain't about about the chocolate anyway; it's about the reaction to the chocolate. "Oh well, I blew it, I may as well eat everything that isn't nailed down!" People respond like this all the time. I've watched it for years. They over-react, they create problems, they turn a minor hiccup into a major melodrama and they look for an excuse to throw in the towel. Then they wake up six months later, bigger, fatter and more miserable than ever. And so the very predictable and familiar cycle starts all over again. And again. Their life is like a weight-loss version of Groundhog Day. Some people have been losing and gaining the same weight for years.

3. Of course one block of chocolate can't make anyone fat but constantly surrendering to destructive behaviours can. For this lady, her problem is largely emotional and psychological, while the consequences are largely physical. Whenever she has a set-back - a normal part of the human experience - she has no coping skills, so she goes back to what she knows; food. A little instant pleasure and comfort... but ultimately an abundance of long-term pain; a life in a fat body that she despises. Her propensity to lose and gain weight is merely a by-product of what's going on in her head. Does this sound familiar? Very familiar perhaps? The good news is that anyone can lose weight and keep it off. Forever. Is it easy? Not often. Is it possible? Very. Just because you haven't done something to this point in your life doesn't mean you can't; it just means you haven't. Yet. As I've said too many times, take your mind there and your body will follow.

4. Setbacks are not a sign of weakness, they are a sign of humanity. Things only have the meaning we give them and if we decide that eating a block of chocolate is the beginning of the end, it will be. Or we could simply choose different to create different. Next time you mess up - and you will - don't over-think, don't self-destruct, don't beat yourself up and don't seek sympathy. Instead, refocus, acknowledge what you've done, do different and get back to work. Princess. Sure I could fluff this message up a little, make it more feel-good, perhaps explore the psychology of it all and possibly talk about your triggers for reactive eating... but that's really not me is it?

Okay, do what you need to do
Old 02-15-2009, 05:34 AM   #49  
Am I a senior too?

S/C/G: 74/64.2/58

Height: 153cm

Deep
7senuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:02 AM   #50  
Senior Member sounds old!

S/C/G: 104/ticker/74.5kg

Height: 174cm - I think

but so true

amy - LOVE your hair and you can totally tell you have lost weight since last photo you look great!
smylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:25 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 109.6kg/104.6kg/67kg (15/8/10)

Height: 170cm

Morning!

Just quickly...

...I weigh in at 95.0kg today! Last week was just an 'observation' week though.

Over the weekend, I did a little mowing between the showers of rain. I raked up all the fallen leaves. I swept the whole back porch.

I have planned my meals for the next fortnight...this also assists in planning my shopping lists and not overstocking or buying impulsively...which I tend to do.

Alright, gotta run!

Oh...and how safe is it to lose 20kg in a fortnight????
Lindor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #52  
Am I a senior too?

S/C/G: 74/64.2/58

Height: 153cm

HUH 20KG???? Somehow I dont think thats safe at all. Thats excessive and prob fluid which is bad and could lead to dehydration seriously. What on earth prompted you to ask that? Who did that? 2 kg yes but never heard of 20??????? Gosh!!! lol. If only we could and safely.
7senuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #53  

Height: 5'5"

I found you ladies! i thought I had lost you all forever!!!

One of the biggest loser contestants has lost 20k in two weigh ins. That's just 18 days (their weeks are 9 days long)mind you he is over 150kg so yes a lot would be fluid.

I haven't read back over everyone's posts but I do hope you're all doing well. Me on the other hand.............you don't want to know hahahaha! I gained 2kg over christmas/new year/holidays and promised myself that once life was back to normal I'd get rid of it. I've managed to put on another 1.3kg, making a grand total of EXTRA weight to lose 3.3kg. I seem to go really well then stuff it completely. That article you posted Amy is sooooo me!
barbegirl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #54  

Lindor are you talking about The Biggest Loser? It's not really safe to consistently lose more than about a kilo/week, and The Biggest Loser is NOT a good example for anyone trying to lose weight.

It's good TV, it's fantastic to watch the transformations - but their "two weeks" isn't real time. And it isn't all that real. At the first weigh-in most contestants 'water-load' to falsely inflate their starting weight. Then what we see as the second week's weigh-in is anywhere between 10 days and three weeks in real time.

Remember the concept of this whole show is TV entertainment - and not a roadmap for how to successfully lose weight.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #55  

Barb - woo hoo you're back!

It's really good to hear from you
Old 02-16-2009, 12:15 AM   #56  
Senior Member sounds old!

S/C/G: 104/ticker/74.5kg

Height: 174cm - I think

woohoo howdy doody Barb!!

the paper the other day had things all about what you were saying the other day ani about them promoting shakes in the ad breaks and stuff! that is so so wrong!!

i have put on 100grams this week - valentines week and jemima's party could very well have contributed to that....... ho hum it's all good i'm not worried i have lost 2.6kg all up in the last 3/4 weeks so i am happy with that and aiming to keep on keeping on

quit my job on saturday woohoo
smylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:33 AM   #57  
Blue Team Member

wasnt bob 170 kilos in the beginning on the biggest loser?? its always those real big people that lose those huge numbers.. i think becuase of the unhealthy lifestyle they hold alot of water.. and that is what there big lossers are in the first week .. ive seen it myself on the other wight loss board some poeple on there are above the 150 mark and can loose 10 kilos in a week for the first week or two and then when it all goes to 500- 1 kg a week that get disheartened and alot of them stop trying.. Im part of the 50 kilos+ to loose group..

since i was 135 kilos when i started this journey ..

Barb its great to see you .. that article is good huh.. and so true ....

anyway ive had a good day .. and im happy.. made my own sausage for tea tonight ... well kinda.. anyway .. lol

lean pork mince with cooked spinach carrot capsicum mushroom garlic and onion grated into it and an egg. and a little powder chicken stock for taste.. rolled into kinda sausage.. lol.. they did fall apart a little but not too bad and were very tasty ..
i just grated the veggies through them in my nonstick pan with the garlic and onion and a little sunflower oil.. and the powder stock..salt/pepper cooked them till they were soft and let them cool.. then added them to the mince with an egg and rolled them into sausage shapes in my hands they were dog turd shaped but ... kids loved them . lmao ..

anyway not much else to report did 25 minutes on the elliptical while watching the biggest loser ..... and now im off to have a shower and get in my pjs.. to unwind for the nite.. cyas.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #58  

Kel I had a look at the Biggest Loser 'meal replacement' stuff when I was in the supermarket the other day. Those protein bars are only 90 calories each - AS IF that's enough to replace a meal… and they're $8 for a pack of six.

It makes me really angry that they are exploiting people - especially because they are seen as a reputable weight-loss thing. That's bullsh!t - they're nothing but a money-making enterprise who prey on vulnerable people.

Gen where are you? What's happening?

I'm utterly infatuated with a woman who is completely unattainable. Ah! The story of my life…

Keeps me emotionally safe I suppose, but why do I do this to myself?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 117.7/63.7/60

Height: 168

I'm here, just really busy!
pacman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:19 AM   #60  

Height: 5'5"

Because its safer that way Ani.

Amy your dinner sounded yummy. might give it a go for my youngest, he loathes vegies but if he can't see what he's eating he'll eat it. last night we had eggplant parmigana and he inhaled it!!!
barbegirl71 is offline   Reply With Quote