Old 10-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 230/179/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabella View Post
Let's take this day we've been given and make it work for us.
Good thought, Arabella!

By the way what exactly is Reiki?

And yes, it is SO much easier without sugar now that I've cut it out for a few days. I don't even usually put it in my iced tea now, but still a little in my hot tea. To satisfy my sweet craving, the fruit has been working pretty well, as well as filling me up so I don't eat out the pantry! If I am still wanting something, I get another--usually apple right now. Advantage is--it takes a longer time to eat, and has a lot of fiber so very filling.

Red--no pauses yet, halfway through Day 6, and already swam today for my exercise--about 2100 yards in a little over an hour. Killed myself at the gym yesterday and was so sore today but I knew the swimming would help with that and already feel better!

Doggone scale still the same, though. Hope to move another pound or so down, soon!

Are you able to ride other horses where you go? Or not. Just wondering--sometimes there are others at the boarding places that need to be exercised or belong to a school or for lessons, etc. Man, I'm really getting the urge to ride again......

Sassy--WTG on the pound gone!

miriam--I wish my TOM would come--it's so irregular now and sometimes I feel so bloated and crabby, but then, it doesn't show! I swear I am beginning to miss it's regularity.....

Hi to everybody else!
modcat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #17  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

I've been writing a novel, but I still have a lot of work to do on it. I was going to do NaNoWriMo, but I don't think I'm going to have the ability to write that much because of some major change-overs at work this fall and winter. I've had some really long and taxing days. My goal is to write every day for at least 10 minutes. Maybe I can only write a paragraph or two at a time, but at least that's a paragraph closer to being done.

Since this is the first time I've done this, I'm going to take 2 pass days.

Last edited by Ufi; 10-26-2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Forgot to say how many pass days.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:55 PM   #18  

Ufi--you are writing a novel? Really? Have you before? Are you some author in disguise here that we all could be reading?

WOW!! My dream occupation, my dream business career also, to be an editor or work in the publishing biz somehow. Never gonna happen, but fascinating to me nonetheless......
Old 10-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #19  
Ufi
Persistence

This will be (WILL BE!!) my first published novel. I've written other things, such as articles, short stories, screenplays, but nothing blockbuster. Ultimately, I'd love to make a living that way, but it's still a side pursuit. I face similar confidence issues with writing as with weight loss. Nasty little mental voices and habits. I'm sort of attacking them from two fronts now. Working toward making the life I envision become the habits I live.

Hey, if you dream it, don't discount the possibility. There are all sorts of ways to work toward your dreams. I took a community college novel writing class (not for credit, under "personal enrichment). Maybe you could do something related to publishing? Any small publications around you that would like a book reviewer? I don't know your background, but I'm sure there are options for you.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #20  
Uggg... I goofed again.

S/C/G: 200/200/120

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone! Day 4 is wrapping up and I’m feeling terrific! I have had the last 5 days off, so it’s been pretty sweet. I have to go back to work tomorrow and I’m hoping that I make it through the day without goofing too much! I work 11am to 9:30pm, so I made a HUGE batch of veggie soup to eat for lunch and dinner tomorrow. Hopefully that will help me. My weight stayed at 186 today and my steps are currently 10,397 (goal of 10,000), but I’m not done yet. I still haven’t smoked, but I got stressed out today (over something silly) and REALLY wanted to! I made it though! Whew!

Miriam – I hope you start feeling better!

Arabella – How cool! Another Reiki person!

Modcat – I’m not even sure I know HOW to cut out sugar. Congrats! That seems really difficult to me!

Ufi – WOW! A novel! That’s a great goal… you’ll have to let us know when you’re all published and stuff!

Take care all!
sassybiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:10 AM   #21  
Ufi
Persistence

Hi. Just popping back in to say I'm good for day 1! It's a triple-good day for me. I walked, I ate well, I wrote.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:40 AM   #22  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Day 2Hi Ladies!
Well, I didn't hike the mountain yesterday, but I did do a 45 minute brisk walk, and my walking path, that I have been walking for years has been paved! It is a wonderful, smooth bike and walking path now that goes from near my house all the way to town!

Today was Costco shopping day, which I do every two weeks. My DH and I make it a date day and go do something fun. This week we went for a long walk in the redwoods and hiked along the Eel River, too. I also looked at recumbent exercise bikes and I think I have the one I want in mind now. There is a Nordic Track that is on sale and I really liked it. We also went out for breakfast and I managed to eat on plan at a restaurant!

Ufi-What is the title of your book and what genre do you write? I am an English teacher and I love to write. I write about the environment and travel and keep a field journal. I have a two degrees...one in environmental science and one in English instruction. I suppose I should get the nerve to have something published. You have inspired me! I have long thought about starting a local column about the local environment...

Modcat-Don't you feel lots better from cutting down on sweets? I have drastically reduced how much sugar I eat. I don't even crave it anymore and when I eat something sweet now, it seems sickeningly sweet. Fruits, however, taste lusciously sweet to me now. Since I am counting carbs, I know that cutting out sweets makes it so that I am getting carbs full of nutrition, too.

Sassybiscuit-Congratulations on not smoking! Every day you make it is one step further away from a habit! Keep up the good work. I made a big batch of soup today, too, with lots of veggies and sun-dried tomatoes. They gave it a good, sweet tomato flavor.

Good night ladies! Tomorrow is day 4 and a workday. I think I will come home from work and do a salsa dance cardio workout!

Sheri
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:39 AM   #23  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Unhappy down and out...

Well, just a flyby here. I'm way too depressed to get into a challenge but I know it's the only real way to pull out of my depression. Get active, proactive, see the silver lining, go for change, all those good things. Sigh. The bad dreams have been plaguing me.

OK. Maybe tomorrow. Today was not the day to start a challenge. I did go a different way to work, which means a 30 min. walk before the train and a 45 min. walk after, so there was a bit of brisk walking there. The rest of the day was spent pigging. Disgusting.

Well, good to see so many people. Best of luck to you all and keep up the good work!

Last edited by redballoon; 10-27-2008 at 07:44 AM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #24  
Sherianne

Hey redballoon,
I always remember Scarlett (from "Gone With the Wind") when I have a day like you had. She says, "Tomorrow is another day." Each day is a chance for a new beginning.

My mother tried for years to quit smoking until one day she succeeded. The surest indicator of success is people who try until they succeed, at smoking, at anything. Hang in there!

I love your avitar. The red balloon is one of my all time favorite, old art films.

Sheri
Old 10-27-2008, 08:15 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 354/252/180

Height: 5'5

Hi everyone - just posting a quick check in - I completed my goal of exercising on Sat, and then almost blew it yesterday. I did remember that Sheri was "counting" on me to stay on track with her, so I hopped on my stair stepper, and then did some ab exercises before going to bed.

Sundays are the hardest workout wise for me since I have to be at work so early, so I'm glad I actually did it! I'm off to pop in my exercise video now so I will be 3/3!

Goal - exercise daily w/1 pass

Last edited by texscrapper; 10-27-2008 at 08:16 AM.
texscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #26  
Keep Chuggin'

S/C/G: 166/150/120

Height: 5'1"

Mod - Tom? Regularity? Those 2 words don't go together in by book. Grr. Wish they would - sure would help me schedule my life better!!

I got an appt for the american embassy tomorrow morning at the crack of dawn - trying to figure out how I'm going to get there (I don't have a car, and the public transportation from my city won't get me there on time)

Aside from some extra bites of white rice - I'm doing pretty well today - stayed home sick from work, but looking at the mess in the house wouldn't allow me to stay in bed, so I did all the kids closets - summer, winter, etc., and then went to buy the missing items that they needed. I'm zonked! Just took 2 painkillers for my head and throat and I'm chugging on...
miriam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #27  

Default Day 7

Starting out Day 7. Had a great day yesterday, but maybe all the water and exercise is messing with me. My scale keeps going up!! 191.4 today (sigh).
I was 188.8 on Friday--sooo good for me!

Anyway, onward and upward (hear that Red?)

Quix--you are so right! Things taste waaaay sweeter now than they did, just after a few days! I even have been cutting down on my sugar in my tea--a "scant" teaspoon now. I'd rather spend those calories somewhere else, I've decided.

Ufi--I actually had a journalism/communications major in college about a hundred years ago (really about 23) after switching from pre-vet and deciding I didn't want to deal with that. But, still interested in medical of some sort and giving aid, etc. I met my DH and switched back to a health care field. But, I do love the whole literature, writing thing. I am very envious of those with talent for fiction. I'd love to write a novel someday!
Maybe I will take a creative writing course......

tex--WTG on being "mindful" !! That's the value of this site, inspiration and motivation to do what we really should be doing anyway!

sassy--homemade soup sounds sooo good right now! Yeah, work days are tough for me as well, I really have to plan on what to eat after work, at work, etc.

miriam-- on getting those passports! Hope you can get there on time! And wow! you cleaned the closets and went shopping when you didn't feel too well and still staying OP? Awesome!

Red--
Old 10-27-2008, 03:58 PM   #28  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Ugh. Had to reboot my computer and lost a post. No time for more than a fly-by now: Day 3 continuing successful, no pauses. Huzzah to all!
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:30 PM   #29  
Sherianne

Hey Texscrapper! You are hanging in there with me! I came home really tired and did not want to exercise, but read your post and got on my gear and worked out! And you know what? I feel better, more energized and like I can face the evening. I did 20 minutes of stretching and strengthening exercises and 10 minutes of abs and arms with my weights. I was too tired to get aerobic, or even walk, but exercise of any kind helps trim and reduce! So, thanks!

Arabella-Onederland is right around the corner for you! I am hoping you can make it on this challenge! I will cheer for you!

Modcat-Don't get discouraged with that pound or two. Weight fluctuates a little from day-to-day and week-to-week. Just keep that downward trend going over the long haul. Usually if I have an unexplained weight gain or it doesn't let go it means a couple of things...I am fudging and not realizing it, I am not drinking enough water or I am eating foods that are too salty. I am going to have to start drinking tea at work. That is a great way to get in more liquids and a nice calming break. I work with high school students, so some days I need more than one calming break!

Ufi-says she walked, she ate well and she wrote. What a great day! It sounds like a motto or an anthem! Some days just come all together, don't they?

Miriam-Some days just getting out of bed is an achievement! It sounds like you did the supermom thing! Hope you are feeling better soon and that you made your appointment on time.

Red-You live and walk in Tokoyo? How fascinating. I hope you will write a long post sometime about your walking experience there. I love to hear about people's walks and I bet yours is full of sights, smells and sounds that are so different from the ones I experience on my walks! I will write a long walking post here, if you will do the same!

Time to go make dinner for my guys. I have one teenage son at home, still. My DH and I have a deal...if I make dinners he will do ALL of the dishes. WOW, since I loathe dishes and love to cook, that seemed like a pretty sweet deal and one I want to keep going! Dinner tonight? I think chili verde, rice, beans and a salad. I will have the verde with a few beans and the salad. Good night, ladies!

Sheri
Old 10-27-2008, 11:33 PM   #30  

Quix--thanks for the encouragement! It's just sometimes I do not understand why the scale is/isn't moving. I can really push it and nothing. Other times, I have an "off" day and the scale drops. Then there are these times--really feeling in the zone, but up, down, up, down same 3-4 pounds for what ends up being weeks.

Just when I think I've got it all figured out......