Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: So, Halloween is over, how well did you do on your prediction?
I did exactly as I said, just one piece! 1 4.17%
I did exactly as I said, not one piece! 13 54.17%
I did exactly as I said, jus had a piece of SB Legal Chocolate! 0 0%
I did exactly what I said that night, there after, it's a different story! 0 0%
I failed, but not too bad! 5 20.83%
I failed, and miserably at that! 1 4.17%
You mean Halloween is over? I'm still celebrating! 1 4.17%
I plead the Fifth. I'm not saying anything to incriminate myself! 2 8.33%
Other 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 04:36 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

I absolutely hate going to our local health dept- especially since Boogie had
surgery last month. But I had to take him to get recertified for WIC and for
Ashley and I to get our flu shot. He can't have his until after Thanksgiving.
Anyway, we get there at 8:30(the appt time) and sit at the front where we
wouldn't be surrounded by sick people. I then give him his morning meds. I
overhear this elderly woman telling her grandson something about Boogie being
sick and taking meds. So politely I turn around and say "Oh, he's not sick,
he's just taking his heart meds." Her daughter(the little boy's mom) is
sitting next to her and I tell her "It's okay, he's not contagious." That way
I was reassuring her of her son being exposed to germs, etc. Well then the
witch looks at me and says "She didn't say he was contagious, I didn't hear
her say that" She said it so rudely! Then the grandmother started to say it
was just a misunderstanding and the daughter cut her off and said "Mom, don't
say another word, you don't have to explain anything to her." Man, what a
total witch with a capital B! I just said "Geez,whatever." and turned around.
I should have told her off or something, and maybe I wouldn't be venting
here,lol. Anyway, they finally called us to the back waiting room. There's
only one seat available and it's right next to this little girl sick with a
cold. I'm trying desperatley to distance Joseph from the girl when she
sneezes all over him! The mom doesn't even tell the girl to cover her mouth.
Great, now Boogie will probably come down with it. Almost 3 hours have gone
by at this time. I noticed that people were being called who had later appt's
than us. I go to the window and bring it to the people's attention that we
are being passed up. Two minutes later we finally get called. Boogie weighs
25 1/2 pounds and for the height and weight combined, he's on the 5 % on the
chart. Poor baby thought he was the one getting the shot when the nurse got
the needle out. He actually grinned when he saw Mommy was the one getting a
shot. Anyway, sorry to vent.

WIW- well I knew today was going to be bad when I woke up this morning and looked in the mirror- I'm so puffy!! I drank water like crazy yesterday and it didn't help at all! I said I would weigh this morning regardless, and I weigh even more than I thought. I'm 4 pounds heavier, at 220. I'm so depressed. This is why I don't hardly ever drink- it's not worth it.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:40 PM   #92  

Default Hi All!

Hi everyone! Lots of posts to read by now. It's 6:10 pm eastern time. I've had a busy day at work today, so I wanted to touch base before I went home. Feeling a little more better today with the vertigo and my throat seems better too. It could be all the pills I'm on too! LOL! I will probably posting at the end of the day from now on, so that I can get all my work done first. I was getting behind if you know what I mean!!

I didn't weigh today cause TOM is here and I know that I weigh the same, as usual. I have been stalled for about 2 months now.

Congratulations to all the losers this week: Cherylco, Toni, Monet, Mercy, Zanne, and Tina

Bob: Did not see a post from you today. Are you as depressed as I was seeing Bush being re-elected?
Can't believe Florida. With Mayor Giuliani backing Bush after 9/11, I guess most people would feel the need to vote for him.
That's just my opinion.

Idblond: It sounds like you are going through a lot of perseverence for your new permanent teeth, but it will surely be worth it in the end...

Mary: I look forward to meeting you in Orlando. I am thinking about going too!

Debbie: I agree with you about all this hot weather and high humidity. I'm ready to move somewhere else. I stay inside and exercise until it's cool. Once the cooler weather comes, then I will start running/rollerblading/biking outside. I'm sure I can take off that Friday for Orlando trip so that's no big deal and I would love to carpool with you all. I will talk to you soon.

Serene: I hope your son is recovering well from his surgery. Sending you well wishes, strength, and prayers...

Tranquil: TOM is here for me too. Maybe next week, right!!

Mel: Very nice to meet you. I used to live in West Chester, PA for about 3 years when I was in the 6th-9th grades. I used to play Field Hockey and Lacrosse. They don't have those sports for kids down here in the South. I lived down the street from the West Chester State University College on Brandywine St. Sorry to hear about your knee problems. You can still come to WDW and hang out with us! I'm not running...

Shirley: That's cool that you went to Hawaii twice already. I would like to go once before I die, just to see how the snorkeling is. I bet it's magnificent!

Gracious: I envy you. Christmas shopping already is done for you. Wow, that must feel great! I love the snow, I'm still a big kid at heart, you know.

Jackie: I couldn't find the chat word at the top either. I thought I was nuts. Anyway, as you know already, it has been removed and they are working on repairing it. You are going to have a blast on that cruise to the Bahamas, St. John, etc. When you're in the Bahamas, go to the duty free shop to find perfume 1/2 price. Don't worry about the 2 pounds, you can shake it off dancing on the boat!

Tina: Sorry to hear about your friends house burning down. It's funny how tragedies can bring people together in so many wonderful ways. People caring for people. That's what it's all about.

Crystle: You too, can dance those 2 pounds off easily!

Laurie: I'm so sorry to hear about your horrible experience at the doctor's office. People can be sooooooo rude for no reason whatsoever! Those people are like the "egg" where their life experiences have made them angry, mean, horrible people that they become hard on the inside. You did the right thing by ignoring her as it would of probably just escalated into something much worse. For her to be that mean, you have to wonder what happened to her in her life to become that way. She must be so unhappy with herself that she has to take it out on other people. I always try and "kill them with kindness". It's something that they don't expect and it works most of the time. Don't let them know that they have affected your mood in any way. Just be very nice and kind and then they have nothing to work with. Sorry to hear you were up on the scale too. It will come off fast as long as you stick with this WOE at your next meal.

Okay, now, I need a favor. Does anyone have a Pecan Pie recipe? I already have the Pecan crust, but no pecan pie filling.
My friend has a recipe that calls for Karo Syrup. What do you think she could substitute it for?

Durum Wheat Semolina: I saw a post a few pages back about Semolina and I'm confused. I usually buy the "BioNature" pasta at Whole Foods Supermarket which is 100% SGWW pasta. It's not dark brown, and it tastes really very good. Noone can tell the difference between white pasta and the Bionature I buy.

My question is: I saw a box of Publix Elbow Macaroni and the ingredients are:

100% Pure Durum wheat Semolina enriched with niacin, iron, thiamine, riboflavin, and folic acid. IS THIS LEGAL? and if not, why?

Thanks for your help as I saw somewhere that the Semolina was okay.

Talk to you all soon.

Old 11-06-2002, 07:23 PM   #93  

GRACIOUS: I think the sweet potato pies are a seasonal special at the McDonalds here. They were like their hot apple pies, only the filling was sweet potato. It was surprisingly good. Definitely not on program tho...

DENISE: There is a recipe for SB legal pecan pie somewhere on the recipe board. I will look in my stuff and see if I can find it, in case you can't. I have made it, and it turned out ok, if I remember rightly. You could use Agave syrup for the karo. I bet that would be rather tasty!

HEARTMOM: Don't you just love how rude people can be?! People like that make me so mad. I hope and pray that Boogie doesn't get a cold from that little girl sneezing on him. I hate when people go out and go to work and stuff sick. I have Lupus, and if I catch bugs like that, I get really sick. As much as I hate laying around here, I will do it for the six weeks the doctor said if for no other reason than I would hate to give Mono to someone else.

Someone brought me dinner tonight...it was really good, but not very SB legal. I had lasagna, and garlic rolls and salad. Guess it was not too bad...It was nice to have a hot meal and not have a frazzled husband and daughter trying to get it on the table!
Old 11-07-2002, 08:02 AM   #94  

I woke up to the most gorgeous winter wonderland! There was already a bit of snow still on the ground but this morning everything was white. Picture a lovely snow scene in a movie where there are trees decorated with white, softness and the deck railing iced with 3 fluffy inches of snow. The yard rolling back an acre against the woods and covered with an even white blanket with one snowman standing in the midst! That is the view from my kitchen window and it is truly lovely.

MONET- I find that sweet potato pie humorous. We have seasonal things here on the East coast that we didn't get in Ontario. They are lobster rolls at McD's and you can get them only here in the east.

DENISE1963- My understanding after reading Michel Montignac's book is that the extruded types of pasta are better ..ie: lower on the glycemic index than elbow and ravioli type shaped pasta which hasn't been pushed/extruded when being made. Try and stick to the long spagetti shapes..at least that is what he says! I am just commenting about the shape here though. The 100% duram semolina is legal from what I read but I use the SGWW myself in any shape! Maybe DEBELLI will sort this out.

HEARTMOM- Sorry to hear about your bad experience in the doctor's office. We have to remember to treat others the way we would like to be treated and that woman obviously forgot that! However, don't let her wretchedness bring you down. Overlook the insult as best you can, remembering that we have often been the recipients of others grace too when we haven't been as nice as we should have been. I will pray that Boogie won't catch that cold too!

That is it for me. Still eating well and losing so I can't complain!
Old 11-07-2002, 08:36 AM   #95  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Thursday Morning Everyone!

Just got in from my jog/walk-it's absolutely gorgeous here in SOFLA today. I can't complain about the heat, only the wind gusts. It took me only 48:05 to do my 4.5 miles today. I'm hoping that that time is accurate because my batteries in my walkman were dying and I had to shut off the tape player and run without music BUT, when I got home I timed it against the timer on the microwave and it was perfect, so I'm taking that my time is right Without the wind it could of been better!

I don't have but a minute, I have to get in the shower, go get gas, run something to Lauren at school she forgot at home and then get over to my sister's house to watch the 2 little ones so she can get to an appointment.

I'll get on here later and post - promise!

Have a great day!

{{{HUGS}}}

Debbie
194/127.5/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 11-07-2002, 08:50 AM   #96  
"I'm working on it!"

Thumbs down Good Morning!

Bright and sunny this morning--cept the temp is 16F and with the windchill it feels like 4F Then tonight the temp is going UP! WEIRD!

Went to swimming lessons last night and accomplished a personal best. I managed to do the 7 length endurance swim I have to do to complete this level. I did this near the end of the class and we had already done one try at the endurance (I managed to do 6 lengths that first time). Last year it was difficult for me to complete the 3 lengths I needed to get out of that level. So I'm pretty proud of myself Gave me a good workout too.

TONI--WTG on getting in an extra 5 minutes on the TM. Great progress!

GRACIOUS--The winter scene you described sounds sooo pretty. I still want to get the leaves raked up before the snow, but there's still lots to come down. We're having really strange weather. Gonna be warmer tonight than today!

JACKK--In case I don't get on after this, HAVE A WONDERFUL TRIP!! You'll have to tell us all about it when you get back. Maybe the ship will have a computer you can use to check up on the board--aw, you'll probably be too busy having fun!

HEARTMOM--How awful you had that rude woman in your face. I hope Boogie doesn't catch the cold. Try to keep strong and not let these type of stresses make you eat the wrong things. Come vent here anytime.

DENISE--I stopped buying any white pasta. I just buy ww pasta and the family likes it.

MONET--Keep resting like the doc says. I've known a couple of people who've had mono and the 6 weeks rest is the usual recommendation. Take real good care of yourself so you can make it to WDW!

I'm outta here! I've got all my chores caught up so today I'm starting some Christmas baking--and I'm going to make as much as I can SB legal! I won't tell anyone--what they don't know will be healthier for them!

Bye for now!
Old 11-07-2002, 09:29 AM   #97  

Zanne- Thank you so much for sending those recipes. I really appreciate it. I'm getting ready for the holidays and I want to be able to stay OP. I hope you have a wonderful day today.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:44 AM   #98  

I'm trying to catch- up a little with posting.

Denise1963- Welcome to the board. It's great having you join us.

Serene- How are you? I'm praying for your son's recovery.

Gracious- I love winter also.

I hope all of you ladies have a great day.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:46 AM   #99  

Good morning everyone.

It's a beautiful sunshiney (is that a word) crisp 40 degrees this morning. After the 2 weeks of rain that we'd been having, this is wonderful. It's supposed to be like this for a few more days.

Sorry I didn't get to report for WIW yesterday, was at the seminar all day. I was down 2 pounds, but I'm sure that after the way I ate, it's back up again. It was your typical buffet food, lasagne, bread, salad. I ate like crap, even ate some cake. I don't know what got in to me except I'm back on track today. Water, water, water. At least it was a very good seminar, though.

Jackie: I saw your post about your chicken recipe. Try crumbling up Triscuits or shredded wheat and using that as a breading. It really helps things stay crispy.

Wow, looks like things are nuts today at work. Better go. I'll try and post more later.

See ya,

Trish
Old 11-07-2002, 09:54 AM   #100  

Mornin' y'all. Thanks for all the well wishes for my friend. They are in a house that the school district owns. It has been completely furnished with furniture, the kids have tons of clothes and the pantry is full. This is a great community. Now for my sad story...The kids and I were on our way to church last night and right around the corner from our house there were cars backed up, a pickup in the middle of the road and a fire truck in the road. Anyway, I cut the car off and told the kids to stay in the car while I went to find out what was going on. Some kid had hit a tree, backed up and headed down the road when his truck caught on fire. He jumped out of the truck and ran off. That's why the road was blocked. The mother of the kid had driven up in her pickup and the was backing up to go home and call her husband. She backed right into my car. Tore off the mirror, messed up the fender and door on the driver's side. I have to climb in thru the passenger side. The kids were terrified. I walked home with them (it was just around the corner from our house) and left them with Dennis. Went back and waited for the police. Anyway, she got a ticket and will have to pay for the damage. I go this afternoon to get estimates. What an exciting way to end the day. I didn't get the kids to sleep till after 11 last night. I did have a small cheat after it was all over. There were about 4 bites of ice cream left in the freezer and I finished it off. If there had been more, I would have eaten it.

HEARTMOM: Sorry you had a bad experience yesterday. I hate going to the health dept. One of the kids ( I forget which one ) had to get their shots there because insurance didn't cover it. I was always very uncomfortable there. Hope Boogie doesn't catch cold.

ZANNE: 7 Laps! WTG! I wouldn't be able to do that. And that's waaaay to chilly for me. It was 39 here this morning and I was freezing.

GRACIOUS: The snow sounds beautiful. If it could just snow AND be 75 degrees it would be great.

Time for munchkins.
Old 11-07-2002, 10:02 AM   #101  

Good morning everyone. Just got off the treadmill. I'm excited I've just about got my week in adding more time in on my walking. Its beautiful here in Missouri this morning. The sun is even shinning on the frost. 5 more days till my trip to my brother's in Colorado and I've got lots to do...

Sef- Hope you get a second wind on your sleepless night... I just hate that when it happens..

Idblond-I know how you feel about your teeth. I go to the dentist tomorrow for the first try on of a partial plate which will have one tooth. Its not the same as yours I know but such a relief to finally get a tooth.

Melf- Are you on vacation? Hope you're having a great time...

Jack-K-Good luck at the gyno... Yuck!!!! Oh bet you're sooo excited. Have you gotten your room toren apart trying to find things to take? I've had to try on everything in my closet to see what fits for my trip. Even my winter coat is to big.....

Zanne- Your recipe sounds good....Great on your swimming, keep up the great work up...

CountryMom- Yep you're right about a couple of lbs. I'm sure next week will be better, so hop on back to SB....

heartmom- What a horrible trip to the health dept. Shame on them for not calling you first because of Boogie just having heart surgery. I don't blame for not wanting to go in the first place. Sorry about your weight being up, but you know that allot of it is water weight and hope fully next week it will take a dive...Don't let it get you down, you're really doing so good and a heck of a Mom.... So hang in there gal and of course this is the place to vent...

Denise-Sure don't know how you're working with your throat and vertigo. I hope you're getting lots of rest at home. I know the big stall I finally started down after a hard month of going no where.

Monet- Oh I need that pecan pie recipe. That was so nice of someone to bring dinner. You need a little extra care now.

gracious-Oh your snow sounds just beautiful... I love the first snow of the year. We've got sunshine and 66 degrees. Oh my gosh lobster rolls, Wow.... Congrads. on doing well with your eating and losing..

Debelli- Congrads. on your good run.. You are doing so great......

Well time to go... Have a great day...

213/161/130
Old 11-07-2002, 10:53 AM   #102  

Tina, oh my gosh! I'm so sorry to hear about your traumatic day. Does the lady have insurance? Were your kids in the car when it happened? Are they alright? If she has insurance make sure you don't sign any settlement agreements until your car is completely fixed and you know for sure that your kids are alright.

What a day you had and only ate 4 bites of ice cream. Way to go!

Trish
Old 11-07-2002, 10:59 AM   #103  

MUSICTEACH-What a terrible thing to happen both for the kid driving, your kids and you with your poor car..sheesh. It was really piled on there for you..I can understand your eating those last 4 bites of ice cream; but God is sovereign and He only allowed there to be those 4 bites left instead of a whole bowls worth!

JACK-K- I use parmesan cheese, parsely, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper to coat my chicken and bake it in the oven. The cheese makes it crunchy and it tastes great. Of course, Atkins folks also add crushed pork rinds and I do that sometimes too but SB'ers want to watch the fat content when doing that.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:04 AM   #104  

Default hello world

Hi all,

I just wanted to introduce myself to the board!

I had a question, and I'm sorry if it's been covered before:

I originally began my self-improvement kick because my cholesterol results were way too high for my age. I'm currently on atkins (modified slightly to cut out foods that are too high in sat. fats) and have been doing well. But my PA mentioned Sugar Busters by name when she was explaining what i need to do to get my numbers down. SB seems like a more liveable WOE for me than atkins (though i've been successful so far on atkins).

I was wondering if anyone went from an atkins-like low carb diet to SB, and how things went for them.

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2002, 11:08 AM   #105  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good Thursday Moring

I actually think it is lunch time. I started this first thing and then had to leave for a meeting and just got back and finished reading the posts.

Just 1 1/2 more days to work. I can't wait.

I've been busy making chili, chicken salad, quiches, for my DD to have to eat while we are gone. Have to get all the laundry caught up etc. You would think she was a child (23). I don't know how she is going to make it w/o me when she gets married.

Country, Hi to you too. Don't worry about the extra pounds they will come off. You have a good attitude.

Heartmom, What insensitive people. No manners what so ever. I sure hope Boogie doesn't catch that cold. What a frustrating day. Just keep Op and those 4 lbs will come right off.

Denise, I use 100% duram semolina pasta. I read it was legal. I only use pasta once a month anyway. I would think yu could use agave or sf maple syrup for the Karo syrup.

Monet, That was sweet that someone brought you dinner. You can't hardly refuse to eat it. Feel better.

Gracious, your snow scene sounds beautiful. I love to look at it, just don't like driving around in it.

Deb have fun babysitting today. It was 35 when I went out this morning. A little brisk.

Zanne, Congrats on moving up in the swimming level. I know I couldn's swim even 3 lengths. Swimming is such great exercise too. Works all the muscles. The ship does have a e-mail system, but know telling how much it would cost. I will miss being on here all week.

Mercy, Have a great day.

Trish, WTG on the 2 lbs. If you're back on track today, you will be fine.

Music, How awful that the lady ran into you. I can imagine how frightened your kids were. I'm glad there wasn't anymore ice cream left. Hope it all works out easily witht he reparis and such. I'm with you on the snow and 75 temp.

Toni, My closet was bare to start with. I had to have 3 dresses I wore in the summer taken up and I only have 3 pairs of shorts to my name. I didn't try them on again, I sure hope they aren't too big. I just hate buying too much b/c I don't stay the same size very long. I don't even own a coat. I borrowed my DD for a football game tonite and it is too big. Not too bad of a problem to have though is it?

Have a great day!

Jackie
257/165/145
10-10-01
Closed Thread