Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: Which statement below best describes what you would say about TG dinner?
I WILL stay OP 100% 4 18.18%
I'm PLANNING to stay OP 100% 4 18.18%
I'm GOING TO TRY to stay OP 100% 2 9.09%
I DOUBT I'm going to stay OP 100% 2 9.09%
I KNOW I'm NOT going to stay OP 100% 2 9.09%
I PLAN on having a little of everything I like, then go back OP next day. 6 27.27%
I THINK I will eat whatever I want and not worry about it. 0 0%
I have NO PLAN, I don't know how I will eat that day. 2 9.09%
I MAY go into a feeding frenzy and not stop! 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 09:31 PM   #61  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Hey All

Thought I'd get in a post before I hit the hay. Sorry, wasn't able to get on the recipes-I promise, I swear, I'll get them done before the end of the weekend!!!

Seems like the "flood gates" are opening. I'm hoping for a loss in light of this tomorrow. Only 4 small peanut chews,1 ounce total today-they're gone now, but I have to make another batch to get it just right. I've written down every stinkin morsel that's passed my lips today-so far, so good! Just can't figure out the salad Eli made as far as cal, carbs, etc goes, but it can't be all that bad, nothing but veggies, toasted pita, olive oil and other things that have no caloric effect.

Here's the link for the NOVEMBER 2000 RECIPE BOARD. The board does have some THANKSGIVING APPROPRIATE RECIPES on it, so you may want to check it out:

http://64.119.161.199/forum/showthre...?threadid=2356

Board is slow tonight-where is everyone???

I'll check in with you all tomorrow after my walk-have to get it in since I'm off on Saturday, whether I like it or not!!

Nite!

Debbie
194/124/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 11-15-2001, 10:40 PM   #62  
Sonya

Angry Sugar Free Whole Cranberry Sauce

I am looking for a Recipe for Sugar Free Whole Cranberry Sauce, or tell me which Board it is in. Thanks for all of your help.

Thanks

Sonya
Old 11-15-2001, 10:55 PM   #63  

Default Hello

Hi, another quick post, after another exhausting day at work. I always thought that there was a limit to the amount of work you can do, but I am realizing that wehn you don't want to tell a Doctor no, then you are going to work your a-- off. ANd the one that that doesn't want to tell the Doctor no is the boss. Anyway now we have to get ready for another day tomorrow.

Things are going ok weight wise, things are very slow to get lost, but I am not giving up. Just got to try harder. Sometimes I think I am going to need quit work so i can exercise three or four hours a day, then maybe the scale would move. (but this isn't a reality, is it)

I am never very good with each individual post, but I do wish you all a great day tomorrow. Just make good choices, and the rest will fall in place.
Laurie
Old 11-16-2001, 12:01 AM   #64  
sef

HiHo all!!
Sorry I have been AWOL, thanks for missing me Deb, but I have a good excuse I think.

Ever since Sunday I have been in the hospital. Got out yesterday afternoon.

I was in choir and on the way to choir room after service I felt weak and kightheaded, pain in chest, left shoulder, numbness in left hand.

O course, it caused quite a todo and a retired nurse in choir insisted I get to hospital, so she and another friend took me to ER while another called family. Poor Ashley took call, said her Mom would meet me there and that she would go get her Father who was somewhere loading firewood in th truck. She was very calm.

The usual ER stuff and I was admitted for observation and tests.

Good news it is not my heart nor my lungs. Gastro things can mimic heart attack. I have erosion of the stomach and esophagus, caused probably by years of prescription strength (600-800 mgs) three times a day. When I had complained of stomach upset the doctor switched me to Naprosyn. When I moved here I told new doctor I had stomach upset from pills and he switched me to Arthrotec, then Vioxx (Insurance company/pharmeceutical call) and when that didn't work back to Arthrotec and then Celebrex (another ins call).

They gave me a copy of my stomach from the EGD in living color....not a pretty sight with all those spots!!! Also have a sphincter in the esophagus that is narrowing that will cause difficulty swallowing, something I have ocassionally already.

I guess part of this is my own fault. When I was asked certain questions I would give negative answers. Then when I would tell ds and dil what happened when they weren't there they would say,"Mom you get SOB, Mom you burp a lot, etc." I hate to complain and would not listen to my body I would groan about arthritis when it was bad or about feet.

The pain in the left shoulder is from a pulled muscle in the chest wall. Now that it has been brought to my attention I realize that I have had twinges in my chest, my stomach has noises and I am gassy. So from now on I will try to pay attention to the aches and pains but not complain about them. My theory was you have to expect aches and paions as you get older.

For a while I was a nonentity as far as food was concerned, In four days I had four meals and none were SB friendly. By the third night I ate whatever was on tray, dixie cups of chocolate pudding, lemon ice, ice cream, jello, yogurt and bouillion. I am ashamed to say I ate every bit! The other meals I picked at...I just ate the chicken and broccoli, ww toast, milk, scrambled egg, and on the first one only the beefy looking thing and some carrots and mashed potatoes. When they would not have a tray for me it was because the computer kicked me out. It also did it with meds. To do an IV it took two nurses and six sticks!

Bless my ds, he was supposed to go to Fort Worth for a week on Monday but cancelled because of me. We were in constant touch with dd in Md.

I tried to catch up on Board but it is just too much. Have to rest a few days. I am on $88.36 worth of Protonix. It better help!!

Take care. sef
Old 11-16-2001, 12:04 AM   #65  
sef

P.S. I can't be that little cartoon now. I am on a bland diet, no fats, no spices. Oatmeal is good, LF cottage cheese, which I use antway. Oh well. sef
Old 11-16-2001, 01:20 AM   #66  

Hi everyone

Sorry I missed WIW. I had worked Tuesday evening and then went in Wednesday morning and was pooped by the evening, after coming home, getting supper then out to badminton. Consequently I slept in late this morning. Anyway I am still hovering around 195-196. I think I am going to be stuck here forever. Maybe I should just forget about losing and concentrate on maintaining and see what happens. As long as I don't gain. Can't afford to gain any as I have recently bought new pants, a long skirt and a couple of tops. Couldn't hold off any longer as I have a couple of do's to go to in the next few weeks. Had a good day to-day. Went out this evening with a friend to an Indian restaurant. Had curried chicken, beef, lentils, cauliflower and basmati rice. Started off with some deep fried veggie balls. I don't know what else was in them but they were delicious. That and a small piece of paratha were the only things that were not SB legal.

Tree - Thanks for posting the chana dal recipes. The one with the ginger sounds yummy. The second recipe you posted seems to have quite a lot of coconut for the amount of chana dal. When you say 1 cup of coconut do you mean 1 cup of shredded? I like to use the moong dal occasionally. I find it's good if I am in a hurry as it cooks much faster than the chana dal.

Deb - I had to smile at your feeding frenzy - even scoffing the kids candy apples. I know the feeling though - thank heavens it doesn't happen too often. Yesterday I felt like eating a piece of a whole wheat bun that I had bought the day before for ds but it was still sitting on the table when I got home. I started off with a small piece but of course finished the whole thing. Then went and ate four wholemeal cookies. This was about ten minutes before supper.

Frog - Congrats on your WIW report. I am sure that 1/2 pound loss is the start of better things to come.

Viv - Hi. Glad to see you posting again. How's your Dad doing?

Rhroo - You just get your *** back on that wagon. You have come too far to ruin it all. I've missed your posts. How are the kiddies doing? Are they still playing soccer?

Tv - Glad to see you are losing again. Hope the meds are working and you are beginning to feel better.

Sef - You had us all worried wondering where you were. Some of those pain medications and NSAID's can really play havoc with the body. Celebrex is supposed to be better for the stomach than some of the older meds. Just take care now and get rested up before getting back to all your activities. Hope you are beginning to feel better.

Welcome to the NEWBIES and the OLDIES who have returned to the fold.

Well I had better finish here and get ready to hit the sack. After getting up so late this morning I am not too sleepy but I may get a call to go to work in the morning so I had better try and get some shut-eye.

Nite.

Marie.
Old 11-16-2001, 07:17 AM   #67  

Deb i need some kicks in the butt! Some of the problem comes with our financial situation right now-this woe can cost alittle more, which i am worth! But i can't justify it right now with the holidays comming and bills piling up (ya don't want to hear me whine about money!) Everyone here is healthy and got great report cards so i should be happy about that. I don't know if i told you all about my back hurting and not excersising like i should have for about a week and a half. Trying to get back where i was last week i got in 5 days this week today will make it 4 and i don't know if this big butt will be out tomorrow but its my walking day and that will be easier to do than my weights.

Rosalie! I think one cheek is on the wagon-really! the scale yesterday said 143 and i have been chugging the water! The kids are great-soccer is over yeah!! after turkey day basketball will start! sooooo every season there is another sport!! My oldest is going to his first High school banquet for soccer-i have to work and can't go :frowney: He did well and next year i know he will be stronger as a player-he is not the best but a consitant player.

Gotta goooooooo Viv i will get around to emailing you girl!!! Hope your feeling better today! We still have halloween candy kicking around here! My five (almost 6 in 4 days ) year old won't share but won't eat! I should just throw a few a day out with out her knowing! lol

Really going now to work the bod! I WILL BE LURKING SO SAY HI! LOL

Rhonda
Old 11-16-2001, 08:01 AM   #68  

Morning everyone!
Just wanted to post quickly and say hello! No great news to report today. I'll be at the race sunday so I'll wave to ya! I'll be at the start/finish line section!! I do hope Bobby does well Sunday! He's had such a bad luck year! He usually does well at Atlanta so I'll be there cheering him on! Can someone tell me where I can find this aguava syrup you are talking about? Everyone have a great turkey day!
Old 11-16-2001, 08:33 AM   #69  

Good Friday Morning Everyone

Got in my 4.5 miles, only walked, no jogging, wasn't in the mood. BUT, I am happy that the scale HAS taken a downward turn again! I lost 2lbs since yesterday, but still up 2 from my lowest. Trust me, it was ALL water weight! Hoping that the usual trend of the scale going down after mid-cycle continues until I'm back at my low.

It's FRIDAY FACTS and I thought this was interesting enough to post. I always like to get salmon when I go to Outback, and always have a hard time trying to come up with a caloric count for my food journal. I found the chart below and as you can see, there's big differences between the varieties of salmon-I'll be asking what type salmon is being served from now on Sorry, I couldn't get the numbers to line up, no matter what I tried!

Pacific Salmon Nutritional Information:

SERVING SIZE: 3oz. (85gr) - Cooked, Edible Portion

Species: King Sockeye Silver Pink Chum
Calories: 200 180 160 130 130
Protein (g): 21 23 23 22 22
Fat (g): 11.5 9 7 4 4
Carbohydrate (g): 0 0 0 0 0
Sodium (mg): 50 50 50 75 50
Potassium (mg): 360 410 470 350 450
Cholesterol (mg): 70 60 40 55 80

NOTE:Nutritional value for salmon will vary 1-2% in protein and fat content from these average values, depending on the maturity of the fish.

THUNDER, go to the NOVEMBER 2000 RECIPE BOARD, I have a recipe there for cranberry sauce that I made last year for TG and will probably make again this year.

LAMAP, you were doing really good when you had your watch as an incentive-did you choose something else for the next milestone to work for-maybe that incentive is just what you need to jump-start yourself again with renewed energy. OR, things could be slow just because your bodies making adjustments. As for exercise, whatever you can do is better than nothing, I only walk for an hour a day-if it required any more of me, I wouldn't do it, not for lack of time, but for lack of desire.

SEF, thank that lady for me for insiting you go to the ER. I'm sure without her, you wouldn't of gone and who knows, it could of been something really serious, because what you described sounded serious! Thank goodness you are okay-see, you try to do too much and I guess this is a way your body is telling you so. Anyone who asks you to do any heavy duty stuff, give me their number, I'll have a thing or two to say to them! But again, thank goodness it wasn't something more serious, but this stomach condition sounds bad enough. What's with this difficulty swallowing stuff-is it something that may worsen over time? Please, do take care of yourself, I worry about you! Let us know how you are progressing, we really do care!!! Now, get off the computer and go get some rest!

ROSALIE, I highly doubt you'll be stuck at that weight forever, I'm sure it's going to go down. What I find interesting is keeping a weight chart. Not only do I have one on the WC program I have, but I have one on graph paper and I can see how my weight fluctuates, but then see trends as well. I'm certain with you persistance and dedication, the scale will go into the 180's sooner than you think. Oh, I was a sight with the eating the other day-I swear, I didn't even realize how fast I ate those apples until I was down to the essence of the core. It was scarey!

RHROO, hope you got my e-mail

NASCAR, hope your man does well at the race. Will you be taking a sigh this weekend so we can see you??? For the agave, have you checked your HFS in your area? If not, you can find it on the web. I can send you some samples if you'd like, just to see if you like it-you can e-mail me your snail mail addy if you want.

FROG, did you get my envelope yet???

Gotta run, time to take Lauren to school. I'll check in later. Have a great weekend.

Debbie
194/122/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01

Last edited by Debelli; 11-16-2001 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:06 AM   #70  

Just a quickie, as I should have showered and been ready so I can wake up the kids at this very moment...but, I was trying to catch up with all of you! Forgive me for not responding to everyone....

VR - Welcome Back!

Rhonda - Girl, I know exactly what you are going through! I'm determined never to increase up past my current size, the pants are cutting in, but there's no way in h!!! that I'm buying a larger size. Instead, yesterday I purchased Walk Away the Pounds. When it gets here...seems like it will be forever....I will implement an exercise plan as this has been where I've failed myself the most, that and giving in to hi-carb/sugar foods when I'm stressed. We'll work together!

TV - You are soooo totally creative, thanks for the Birthday poem!

Sef - Sorry you are under the weather, hope your feeling better.

By the way, I noticed others feeling yucky too...feel better!

I have to run, maintaining but the Weight Commander says I'm gaining? If anyone has this program, please advise.

Hi to everyone else!
Old 11-16-2001, 09:11 AM   #71  

Red face Friday Morning Note

Hey everybody. Have a million things to do this morning, including a 4 miler, This'll have to be quick.

Felling better, less bloated. Have an unbelievably painful hemroid (sp?) since yesterday. Not always uncommon with running longer distances due to the friction (if ya know what I mean ) combined with the months of being constipated! Hope it goes away real soon!

Speaking of pains in the butt, I was glad that Survivor ended the way it did the past 2 weeks! Like the "older" players and hope they do well.

Have to tell y'all about something YUMMY that I had for dinner last night that was sooo good and FAST!!! It is Classico Creations Basil Pesto sauce and spread. I cooked some WW fettucine. In another pan I toasted some pine nuts in olive oil, then added the pesto to heat it up, once the noodles were done I tossed them together. MAGNIFICO!!!! Good thing to have on hand when you have unexpected guests!

Quick posts to those I can't miss!

BLOND Happy Belated Birthday

SEF - Glad to hear that you are doing ok. I'm sure that must have been quite a scare for all! I took Protonix last year to get my acid reflux under control. It is a ood medicine that I didn;t notice any adverse side effects from. Hope you're back to yourself soon!

DEB - no packet yet! Hope the letter carrier didn't mistake it for Anthrax! Hopefully it will come today. I'll let you know as soon as it does. The Amish store was out of my pancake mix. Am gonna check the HFS today. I did buy some "WW" pancake mix that I noticed has some corn flour in it. Will post the ingredients for it another time.

BOB - It's great to see you back on the board! Hope you're feeling better soon!

SOL - We changed our reservations a little bit for the race. We will still be at the Courtyard at Downtown Disney Fri-Mon, then we are changing to the Marriott Grand Vista for the remainder of the stay. Got a 4 nite stay for $199. Have to listen to a presentation about Marriott vacation club, but worth it for the 5-star experience! Hope this doesn't interfere with your plans! I'm getting excited about meeting all of you!

Need to go! Gotta run, literally!

Peace,
FROG
Old 11-16-2001, 10:39 AM   #72  

I've just read an article on the Sweetalk Board about carrots which I think is worth sharing with you all. Also appropriate for FRIDAY FACTS. The article is from Rick Mendosa's Diabetic Newsletter of May, 2001. http://www.mendosa.com/diabetes_update_14.htm

Eat Your Carrots!

For fully 20 years we have had questions about whether to eat carrots or not. The first journal article ever published on the glycemic index indicated that we quickly digest the carbohydrates in carrots. That study that showed the GI of carrots at 92 (where glucose = 100). A later study that got much less attention showed the GI of carrots to be 49.

Originally, I included both studies as the basis for the average number I report on my GI Lists <http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm> page. I based that on the first Australian edition of The G.I. Factor, which did the same thing.

Subsequently, Dr. Jennie Brand-Miller, the lead author of that book, now published in the U.S. as The Glucose Revolution, determined that the first study was fatally flawed (as she wrote me) and threw it out of her tables. I followed suit.

A week ago Dr. Brand-Miller wrote Dr. Thomas Wolever, Canada's top GI researcher, with the results of a new study. She sent a copy of the message to me, as follows:

Quote:
I have just received the results of 10 foods tested by one of my students. I got her to test carrots and also carrot juice. To ensure we fed exactly a 25 g carbohydrate portion, we had the carbohydrate assayed directly by the University of NSW, Department of Food Science and Technology.

Anyway, the good news is that the carrots had a GI of 39 ± 7 and the carrot juice 45 ± 4.

I just had a look at your original 1981 paper and I note the old value of 92 for carrots was based on only 5 subjects (we tested 10) and had a SEM [the standard error of the mean]of 20, about 2-3 times that of all the other foods tested in that paper.

I think we need to put to rest once and for all the idea that carrots have a high GI. A letter to Nature perhaps???

My response noted that Michel Montignac's book Eat Yourself Slim on pages 67-68 claims that it is cooked carrots that have a high glycemic index.

Dr. Brand-Miller's reply was succinct and to the point:

Quote:
The carrots were cooked, the juice raw.

These numbers mean that everybody-even those following the Sugar Busters! diet-should now feel comfortable eating carrots or drinking carrot juice.

http://www.mendosa.com/diabetes_update_14.htm
Old 11-16-2001, 11:41 AM   #73  

Default Back from my run

Turned in 4 miles in 45:49, averaging jright at 11.5 minute miles on my run 5, walk 1 program! Not too bad. Hope to keep improving that pace as training continues to progress.

Here's my contribution to the Friday Facts File. This comes from the book "All About Eve, The complete guide to women's health and well being" by Tracy Chutorian Semler.

How to Lose and Maintain Weight Properly: Tips on Healthy Deiting"
1. Lose weight gradually, no more than a pound or two at most per week.
2. Exercise as often as possible, at least a few times a week. Get up and move your body.
3. Choose a diet that allows you to eat your own foods. Eat some foods that are what you normally purchase, rather than one that includes premade or preassembled foods.
4. Don't say "I'm going on a diet." Say that you are going to change your habits.
5. Keep all nutrients and food groups balanced. Any diet that pushes you to eat mostly from a single food group is inappropriate.
6. Limit or eliminate empty calories. Simple sugars, alcohol, excessive gats add nothing to your overall health and well being and take up a good portion of your daily calorie allotment.
7. Stay in touch with your doctor. Let your doctor reassess your health as you lose or gain.
8. Eat enough calories. Don't starve yourself.
9. Eat slowly and chew well. Put your fork down between bites.
10. Balance your senses. Since women's triggers to weight gain are usually sight and smell, they need to tantalize other senses in order to offset those triggers. Listen to music, take a walk and do other stimulating things that have nothing to do with food.
11. Drink lots of fluid while restricting calories, ideally water.
12. Choose a behaviorally oriented weight-loss program. Be aware of behaviors that trigger overeating, such as stress or anxirty, etc.
13. Have nonfat snacks at your fingertips.
14. Don't skip meals.
15. Have realistic weight loss goals.

ROSALIE - Thanks for your interesting comments on carrots. I too will eat more of them I think.

Last edited by Frog Lover; 11-17-2001 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-16-2001, 12:16 PM   #74  

Good news to report, able to get my size 10 Levi's back on the body! 2 weeks ago I couldn't get them on!

Going to the shaggy hair trimmed!

Have a good day!

Peace,
FROG
Old 11-16-2001, 02:49 PM   #75  

Hey All

Been busy in the "test kitchen" until Mom came over. Made 3 recipes, thus far. One is wonderful a SWEET & TANGY BBQ SAUCE, the other one I wasn't crazy about, a CHEWY GRANOLA BAR that I found less than chewy and seemed to be missing "something." I don't think I will submit it to Avis, and the last, a APPLE COBBLER that just came out of the oven, looks good, but tasting is what counts-just tasted it, IT'S MISSING SOMETHING and I can't figure out what-so it's a no-go! Going back in a few minutes to whip something else up, probably a muffin of some kind. My Mom tried the SWEET PEANUT CLUSTERS (renamed) that I made the other day-so that's one EVERYONE liked!

LDBLOND, what's WALK AWAY THE POUNDS? As for the WC PROGRAM, it will say that you are gaining even tough you are maintaning when it sees a trend. I never go by it, it's nothing important unless you continually see the message time and time again, then it does mean you're going up, up and away!!!

FROG, did I miss anything on SURVIVOR. We watched POP STARS instead-hate when there's more than 1 thing I want to watch at the same time. Hope your butt is feeling better WONDERFUL NEWS about the pants-it won't be long before they're baggy on you! LOVED the FRIDAY FACTS you posted-good, solid and sound advice!

ROSALIE, thank you for posting that information-it's interesting and something to think about. I'm not a big carrot lover, and I rather prefer cold, crispy ones over cooked ones anyhow-but having the possibility to make a carrot cake, well, that's good news!!!

Okay, back to the grindstone!!!

Debbie
194/122/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Closed Thread