Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: Which statement below best describes what you would say about TG dinner?
I WILL stay OP 100% 4 18.18%
I'm PLANNING to stay OP 100% 4 18.18%
I'm GOING TO TRY to stay OP 100% 2 9.09%
I DOUBT I'm going to stay OP 100% 2 9.09%
I KNOW I'm NOT going to stay OP 100% 2 9.09%
I PLAN on having a little of everything I like, then go back OP next day. 6 27.27%
I THINK I will eat whatever I want and not worry about it. 0 0%
I have NO PLAN, I don't know how I will eat that day. 2 9.09%
I MAY go into a feeding frenzy and not stop! 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 07:53 AM   #16  
Losing on the Beach

S/C/G: 205/ticker/164

Height: 5'5

Talking Thanks so much for the nice welcome back

You guys are the greatest on making me feel at home again

Well yesterday went OP as far as I can remember
Deb told me I needed protien for breakfast though so I am having eggs this morning...I cant seem to find my old SB book and oh boy do I need it right now.... I guess I will have to wait till Friday (payday) and see if I can afford it, I do need help guys, One way would be if some of you could maybe send me a sample menu for a day, if you have the time I would really apriciate it....I am having problems remembering how to eat the WW bread and if I can eat sandwiches and such, As you can tell I am a little rusty But am SO ready to get past that and ready for my life to change for the better again, Here is my e mail if you have some tips or a menu you could send me....(any help would be apriciated) or put it on the board if you dont want to e mail them [email protected] Thanks again guys!!!
Old 11-13-2001, 09:00 AM   #17  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Tuesday Morning

Another beautiful day here in SOFLA-got in my 4.5 miles, no wonderful times, but not too bad, 51:15. Terrible car crash was still on the street when I went, no doubt whoever was in that car didn't survive-wrapped around a tree, front end non-existent. Looked like just a single car, must of been speeding. Every time I walk I have to really watch out for myself, the drivers down here are crazy and the stretch of road I walk is very busy and highly traveled.

The scale is up, up and away for me. I expected this though, but never like seeing it. Up 4.5lbs from my lowest, up 3lbs from just Sunday! Anyone who gets discouraged by unexpected gains, just remember me! There's no way in the world that I've eaten almost 11,000 excess calories in the past 3 days to gain 3lbs! I know it's hormonal and will come down in the next few days.

It's TUESDAY TIPS and with the upcoming holidays, I've decided to repeat these tips that I posted last year (which are archived on the TIPS & TOOLS BOARD).

Here's some great tips for eating during the holidays or at a social event:

Adopt a moderation mentality when holidays, special events, or other occasions approach. Here are some easy steps to get you started:

Step One - Get a grip on yourself ahead of time. Restate your commitment to improved health and long-term dietary success.

Step Two - Preplan holidays to reduce food temptations. Plan lower calorie meals. Preplan deviations from lowfat living. Adopt party training strategies.

Step Three - Don't risk going to any celebration thirsty and/or famished and never skip meals on the day of any big party. The combination of low blood sugar and hunger pains will force you straight to the buffet table. Eat a lower fat, higher protein breakfast. Have a tossed salad with lean meat or lowfat cheese and a whole grain roll for lunch. Munch an apple for a midafternoon snack. This defensive eating strategy will avoid unplanned, party binges.

Step Four - Make the choice to stay in control. This is the hardest step. Be ACTIVE rather than REACTIVE.

Step Five - If tempted, ask yourself this one little question. "Will I EVER have the opportunity to eat this food again?" That makes it easier to pass up ho-hum mashed potatoes, gravy, cheese, chips, and nuts.

Step Six - Completely avoid ANY food if you KNOW you won't be able to stop after one taste. Remember that your willpower to resist is strongest BEFORE the first bite.

Step Seven - What about goodies, gift trays, etc., received from others? First, acknowledge the giver's generosity and thank them for the thoughtful gift. If possible, tell them you will enjoy it later.

REMEMBER - Remember that YOU ARE IN CONTROL. There is NO situation where a human has been tied up and force-fed fattening foods. Focus your attention and energies on family, friends and fellowship rather than food. The phase No, thank you," works wonders.

TREE, oh please think of me on your next trip to TJ'S! I wish they'd build one down here-I'd be there ALL the time! Do try their FF JALAPENO CHEESE, if you like a cheese with a little heat. The lf gouda they have is also good. Have fun using that agave!!!

BUS, what other animals do you have? I'm sure Cami will love her new home when you bring her there-can't wait to see pics of the newest family member!

GATOR, are you planning to meet up with us when FROG comes?

LAMAP, glad to see your post! It does seem that SPECIAL K is okay on SB, though personally, I don't eat it. As for the yogurt, you have the look at the ingredients, if it doesn't say SF, then it probably has sugar/corn syrup, if you don't see any forms of sugars in the ingredients, then the sugar grams are naturally occuring. Have you ever tried taking plain yogurt and putting some fruit puree in with a little Stevia? That's what I do-delicious! Do you think you'll be able to get to Orlando when we go to meet FROG in Jan??

CHRISTIAN, go to the library, they should have the SB BOOK, once you read it and get back to the familiarity of it, you should be okay. Otherwise, you could probably find a used copy to buy on the web, maybe even in a used book store if you have one in your area. LMK, I can send you a coupon for one of the sites I use for 1/2 off. Best bet, check out http://prettyimpressivestuff.com/sugarbusters for a good overview. As for sandwiches, that's fine, just try to limit starchy carbs to 2-3 a day. When I make a sandwich, I slice the bread in half.

Tomorrow is WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY!!!! I pray you all have better luck than I have so far this week.

Hope you all have a good day, I look forward to "chatting" with you all tonight at CHAT AT 9:15PM EST

Toodles!

Debbie
194/124.5/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 11-13-2001, 09:26 AM   #18  
Losing on the Beach

S/C/G: 205/ticker/164

Height: 5'5

Smile thanks for the link Deb

That definatly refreshed my memory
I will look for a used book soon.... Oh and your right about the scale, Man does it fluctuate sometimes, But like you said.... There is no way you actually gained that much and I know it will be gone in a few days too
Old 11-13-2001, 10:09 AM   #19  

Default Tuesday

Still very tired today and having MEGA cramps! Yuck.

I started my Wellbutrin this morning, so hoping I'm gonna be able to rise from the ashes in a few days. It takes about a week for that stuff to get into your system. It should kick in good by Thanksgiving.

Still haven't heard about my thyroid bloodwork - maybe today!

Deb - Sounds like a bad scene this morning. I'm always seeing wrecks on my way to work in the mornings. We have crazy drivers here too. It always makes me count my blessings when I see a bad one like that.

Bus - glad your day off was good. I have a very good friend that has 2 horses. She tells some of the funniest stories about them. One of them is older and has gotten to where it lays down, all the way, in the field and takes a nap. She was telling me that she thought he might have died one day because he had laid there and not moved for 45 minutes. Her daughter went out to check on him (Horse's name is Whiskey) and he waited until she got all the way to him and had reached out to touch him before he moved. I said he just needed some attention really bad! This is the same horse, who when they first got him would eat the stall. Yes, the actual wood - he would get bored and destructive. They had to keep him toys around to play with so he wouldn't chew on everything!

BOB - Hello fellow "junkie" . I guess we both got what we wanted yesterday, but it sure would be nice not to NEED it - wouldn't it?!?! You do what ya gotta do and sometimes you just need a little help! Hope all goes well for you! I read some on a few other things yesterday, but not Paxil, and there are a good many of them that list weight gain as a side effect..... that is one reason I asked for wellbutrin - it helps control cravings of all kinds. I really mean it did the trick for me when I kicked the smoking habit, so I know it works!

Gator - way to go on the 2 lbs!

Tree - I have learned that it never hurts to ask questions. Sometimes it keeps folks on their toes and after all we are all only human and can make mistakes. I always try and trust my doctor and only look to the net for cold hard facts. I try to be a very good patient and only expect the same from the doc!!

Christian & Lamap - glad to see you!

Rosecal - WELCOME!!

See you gals a little later! I'm going to get coffee - maybe I can keep in in the cup today rather than my lap

tv
Old 11-13-2001, 11:36 AM   #20  

Good morning

It's a bright cool morning here. I went out for a swim at 6.30 this morning and had to scrape ice off the windshield. I almost changed my mind - felt like jumping back into my warm bed. But I persevered and did a 30 minute swim plus some exercises in the water. Then came back and got on the stationery bike and did 5 miles - it took me 30 minutes but I was reading at the same time so it was a leisurely ride.

Christian - Welcome back - glad to see you are back on the SB wagon.

Busdeb - Sorry you had a bad weekend. Hope you are feeling better to-day and have gotten back on the wagon.

Tvthatsme - Hope you didn't burn yourself with that coffee yesterday. I'm glad you got your med changed from Xanax. I just checked it in my drug handbook and one of the common side effects is depression. I think you did the right thing by questioning your doctor about the prescription. It's our bodies and we need to be aware of what is going in them.

BOB - What kind of diet did you get from your doctor? Was it SB? I would be interested in seeing a couple of days sample menus if you have time to post them (or you could e-mail me). I think I need to change something to get my metabolism going and I am open to new ideas.

Rose - Glad you found the agave nectar. I just found it recently and enjoy using it although I don't do much baking (afraid to as I would be eating most of it). I use it on pancakes occasionally and yesterday I cooked some spareribs and used it in my barbecue sauce in place of the honey that the recipe calls for and it tasted great.

Tree - That was interesting about the person who stalled on SB then started losing again on the Blood Type diet. Maybe I should check it out - I think my son has a copy of the book. I wasn't too interested in reading it before but perhaps now is the time. I'm tired of being stalled for so long and losing, maybe one pound a month on average.

Gator - When I make turkey gravy I use the liquid that comes out of the turkey. I drain off the liquid and let it sit for a while then remove most of the fat. Just leave enough to mix with the flour - or whatever you are using for thickening. The liquid from the giblets I use in my stuffing.

Lamap - Glad to hear you are keeping up with the exercises. Yes, Special K is considered legal. It has a gi of 54.

All for now. Will not be at chat tonite as I will be working this evening.

Marie.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:11 PM   #21  

Hello everyone! As you can see I have been very busy and hardly able to post! I go every other weekend to my parents so I can go and visit my brother at the Federal Prison. My kids love going over there as they have animals and the boys have the freedom to roam the woods . I have been doing great and staying OP totally. Weekends are always hardest for me but since both of my parents are also doing SB! it was easy this weekend My father is very heavy and is not really losing weight very fast but I really don't think he is eating enough food. Plus he is still eating bread and I told him it would be better to leave off the bread totally and add other starchy carbs instead. My mother ( the original hippy chick) had Stevia in her cabinet ! LOL. I could not believe it but should have know that she would be up on that stuff. Hers had alcohol in it though and did NOT taste very good in my whipped sweet potatoes! I can hardly wait for WIW but I am making myself stay off the school until then Hope everyone is doing good and welcome all newbies !

Liz
256/247.5/180
Old 11-13-2001, 01:20 PM   #22  

I posted my boys school pictures over at the picture board
Old 11-13-2001, 01:22 PM   #23  

I meant stay off the SCALE until Wednesday! I need more coffee LOL.

Liz
Old 11-13-2001, 01:33 PM   #24  

Default Thanks for suggestions

Nov.13th/Tuesday

Thank you to all for the Trader Joe's suggestions. I am going to write them down and check them out when I go there. I had went to the other side of town to the hf store that sold the agave to learn of there being a Trader Joe's much dloser to me. Oh well, live and learn!

BOB, did not mean to imply that anyone was rude or mean, just that they informed me when I believe I had posted a new *thread* instead of *reply*. Similar to going down a one way street and having someone tell you.

A cpl. of sites I like to use to check out herbs and medicines are Healthcentral.(there is a site there for herbs and natural things also) and the physician's desk reference online at consumer.pdr.net/consumer/index.htm I have found helpful.

Tree, when I said "setpoint" I think of that as the weight (over) that my body always seems to settle at throughout life. *I* usually maintain it there but it takes more and more struggle (especially with middle age) to go lower, which for my BMI to be healthy I need to lose at least 12 -15 more lbs. Some diet gurus have written about this(I have read *so* many diet bks. I do not remember which) and as always some other *authority* claimed wht they said was nonsense.!? Anyway I was happy to see the # under it,*finally*

I plan to get the nerve up to post my WIW weight sometime soon. I have hesitated because of seeming so "stuck" at one weight, I figured I would discourage everyone else along with myself. I have had a terrible time trying to lose even though staying on program. I am use meds for hyothyroidism and hypertension and I think that slows metabolism. Adding a few extra minutes of exercise daily has helped also, I think.

Thanks for the welcome. I enjoy everyone's posts. Debelli thank you for your help.
Old 11-13-2001, 05:35 PM   #25  
"I'm working on it!"

Default Hi EVERYBODY!

I haven't posted in a while. Darn cold is hanging on. i haven't felt like doing much of anything. I finally went to the doc this afternoon and she said it's no longer viral so I have a prescription. Hopefully the meds will kick in quick and clear up this bug that's zapped all my energy.

WELCOME to all the new faces.

I hope all who have been needing their meds adjusted/changed find what works for them soon. I have a cousin that has had to get his meds changed until he found what worked for him (he had really bad depression). We write to each other daily and I can really see a positve change in him from a couple of years ago.

I've only been skimming the posts, but was interested in the Special K question myself. I've seen it listed in several GI indexes as being in the low 50's. I'm kind of confused since the ingredients listed are: rice, wheat gluten, sugar/glucose-fructose, defatted wheat germ, salt, milk ingredients, malt(corn flour, malted barley)..........etc. Rice and sugar in the first 3 ingredients and corn flour in the malt. I'm so confused.

I've also been reading The Glucose Revolution Diet Plan (or something like that) and it's saying that CORN is ok to eat. I'm even more confused I guess we each have to find the right balance of what works for us.

I weighed a couple of days ago and had lost the 2 lbs I gained a couple of weeks ago, plus one more . I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way for WIW.

That's about it for my energy level.

I think of all of you daily!
Old 11-13-2001, 07:05 PM   #26  

Just a quickie as I just got home.

Here's the link to get right into the SB CHAT ROOM!!!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbchat.html

See you there at 9:15PM EST!!!
Old 11-13-2001, 07:30 PM   #27  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING EVERY BUDDY!!!

I KNOW IT'S TOO SOON.... but BOB feels better all ready...Maybe it's just knowing that i have a Dr who WANTS to LISTEN and TRY to HELP me?

TV She warned me about the weight gain thing..if the cravings start, she has already said we would try something else.
At least she is willing to work with me. My last Dr wouldn't talk to me about anything.

BUSBe sure to post a picture of CAMI when you her her home. DEB ON A FARM???? HA!! Going to the farm for her is going to the PRODUCE MARKET!!

TREE AMEN to that HMO boogidy boogidy ...Makes me shiver at the thought of it...

LAURIE I know I need to have the gastro done, but I'm not a good patient and i know they stick something down your throat...when i had my breast biopsy, I woke up before they had taken the breathing tube out...talk about HORROR Of course I could breathe, but it sure didn't feel like it! We will discuss it more when i go back to see her in January..She wants to study my lab work and see just what I need..
Girl go with the UNCLE SAM'S I just love that stuff....

ROSE Didn't take your statement that way, I just didn't want YOU to think someone was diverting you...ANYWAY...
{{{{{{{{{WELCOME HOME AGAIN!!!}}}}}}}}}}}}}} We're glad to have you with us...

DEB FARM GIRL??? HA!!!!
Haven't heard from my SWEETIE Tell him he better hurry up and email me or I'll promise myself to someone else!!
Have you heard from KIM??? Saw an advertisement for CELEBRITY FEAR FACTOR...can't wait for that one..

MARIE I'll do a post and do the complete list..

Well GALS...I'm off to get this list for Marie...I'll be back in a flash!

BOB
Old 11-13-2001, 08:07 PM   #28  

Hey All

I'm pooped, ran around all day long, in and out of stores-had to reward myself with some Carbolite before dinner (vanilla and hazelnut/coffee swirl-YUM). Running and not sleeping well last night has run me ragged and I could just hop in bed right now! Eli snored all night long, I don't think he's ever been so bad. Seems he's coming down with something and he was in a deep sleep, but I wasn't! Plus, shoulder still hurting a tad, hard to get comfortable-hoping for a better night tonight!

CHRISTIAN, hope you did well at the Mexican rest-didn't get your PM until late. I eat at least once a week at a Mex. Rest., but it's always a cobb salad. I would think fajitas without the tortilla, or bring tortilla's that are SB legal would be a good thought for the future.

TV, hope you are feeling better. I'm one who rarely gets cramps, thank goodness!

ROSALIE, just how cold is it getting there? I don't have anything to wear when it gets cold down here-haven't had to buy anything since last year and even then, all I bought was a sweatshirt jacket. I've been looking for something I can wear when I go for my walks, but haven't found anything I like-we don't get much in the way of winter wear down here, at least not compared to other places around the US. Congrats for getting out there and going for your swin AND doing the SB!

LIZERY, you can tell your boys are brothers, but I do believe the little one looks like you. Next, pic of hubby! That's great your parents are doing SB with you, really makes things easier, esp. when you go to visit. Dad should have 2-3 starchy carbs, bread is fine as long as it's SB LEGAL-many people don't want to give that up. Mom's Stevia has alcohol in it? That's strange-wonder why. What brand? I just bought 3 boxes today at a HFS at a steal of $3.99 a box Okay, you have my interest peaked, and so I must ask-is brother employed at the prison, or incarcerated - you can tell me I should mind my own business if need be, just curiosity in me sets in.

ROSECAL, when you get a chance, do please post your BIO on our BIO BOARD so we can learn a bit more about you and so I can add you to my mailing list. When are you going to TJ's? You post your weight when and if you feel comfortable, you don't have to if you don't want to. There are others on this board who have a tough time losing weight and tend to lose very slowly. We all get discouraged at times, but the support on the board gets us through those times

ZANNE, you aren't the only one confused about SPECIAL K-when in doubt, I don't eat it, even if the book says it's okay-I tend to disagree with quite a few things they list as being okay to eat because it just doesn't make sense. But as you said, you have to do what you find is right for you. BEACHFAN ate bananas the entire time on SB and made goal last year, so with each of us being different, what one can eat, another one can't. Hope your WIW tomorrow keeps those 2lbs off and then some!

BOB, glad you are feeling better! Hey, I saw a new thing they are doing, it's a tiny camera you swallow, the size of a pill that takes pics of your insides-was really interesting. The tube didn't look like something I'd ever want to do! BUT, I guess whatever is necessary, you can just imagine the tube as being a big piece of red licorace! Big Boy hasn't been on the computer at all, he's been working hard and just hasn't had the time-will tell him to e-mail you when he gets a chance. I did hear from Kim, she's taking a break from dieting-hope she comes back to us though. Can't wait to see the FF, with Donny Osmond (use to love him when I was little-okay, I'm still little-YOUNGER!)-looking forward to AMAZING RACE tomorrow night.

Again, a reminder that TOMORROW IS WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY!!!!GOOD LUCK!

Okay, I'm outta here until chat-see you then!

Debbie
194/124.5/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 11-13-2001, 08:22 PM   #29  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Default TURN YOUR HEAD DEBBIE..THIS IS THE BREAD SECTION

LIST 4 BREAD EXCHANGES
EACH PORTION SUPPLIES APPROX 15 GMS OF CARB AND 2 GM OF PROTEIN OR 68 CAL

1 SLICE BREAD
1/2 BAGEL
1 BISCUIT OR ROLL
1/2 HAMBURGER OR WIENER BUN
1 1/2 CUBE CORNBREAD
1/2 ENGLISH MUFFIN
1 MUFFIN (2IN DIAM)
CAKE, ANGEL OR SPONGE 1 1/2" CUBE OR 1/20 OF 10" CAKE
1/2 C CEREAL, COOKED
3/4 C DRY CEREAL (FLAKES OR PUFFED)
CORNSTARCH 2 TBS
2 CRACKERS, GRAHAM SQUARES
20 OYSTER 1/2 C
6 ROUND
2 1/2 TBS FLOUR
1 MATZO
1 C UNBUTTERED POPPED POPCORN
1/2 C RICE OR GRITS...COOKED
1/2 C SPAGHETTI, MACARONI, NOODLES, COOKED
1/4 C BAKED BEANS W/O PORK
1/2 C LIMA, NAVY, ETC, DRY, COOKED
1/3 C CORN
1/2 MED EAR CORN ON THE COB
2/3 C PARSNIPS
1/2 C PEAS..SPLIT ETC, DRY, COOKED
1/4 C SWEET POTATOE OR YAMS..FRESH
1 (2") WHITE, BAKED OR BOILED
1/2 C WHITE MASHED

LIST 5 MEAT EXCHANGES
EACH PORTION SUPPLIES APPROX 7 GM OF PROTEIN AND 5 GM OF FAT, OR 73 CAL

CHEESE, CHEDDAR, AMERICAN 1 OZ SLICE
COTTAGE CHEESE 1/4 C
EGG 1
FISH AND SEAFOOD
HALIBUT, PERCH SOLE 1 OZ SLICE
OYSTERS, CLAMS, SHRIMP 5 SMALL
SALMON, TUNA, CRAB 1/4 C
SARDINES 3 MED

MEAT AND POULTRY
BEEF, LAMB, PORK, VEAL, HAM, LIVER, CHICKEN, ETC 1 OZ SLICE
COLD CUTS 1 1/2 OZ SLICE
VIENNA SAUSAGES 2
WIENER 1 (10 PER LB) LIMIT TO ONE EXCHANGE PER DAY
PEANUT BUTTER 2 TBSP LIMIT TO ONE EXCHANGE PER DAY

Last edited by THE BIG ORANGE BABE; 11-13-2001 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-13-2001, 08:36 PM   #30  

Thumbs down Pre-Chat Tuesday Post

Just got finished skimming the posts before chatting tonight. Couldn't get on to post with the outage and NO time at work today to do it either. Would like to take a sick day but have way too much to get done.

Went to the gym last night and ran 3 miles tonight after work tonight. Feeling sore today, don't know if it is from the gym or if I am coming down with something.

Have several things I need to do tonight, but will be at chat for a little while. Need to go shower off from run. See y'all at chat!

Peace,
FROG
Closed Thread