South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #91  
Tink is on The Beach

S/C/G: 240/see signature/150

Height: 5'7

Thanks! yea so far (since today was day 1) my blood sugars have been about normal. I def. won't use as much insulin so that will be a good thing and my basal rate may go down by the end of the 2 weeks... my dr said it should decrease when I lose weight. Thank you for the concern =)
TinkFreak117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:08 AM   #92  
~jus' being me~

Welcome back Karen and welcome Kristin!!

I had another really busy day at work so the day kind of flew past . . . . and amazingly I wasnt starving when I ended up leaving the office at 8pm. I am hopeful that the late nights will end early next week.

Day 6 tomorrow - yay! I was tempted to weigh in today but TOM is still here and I am still bloaty so I didnt bcos that could and would have set me off!

My tax agent brought me a huge box of super expensive CHOCOLATES today and I filed them in my drawer at work. All my over eating happens at home I dont have a need for choc at work so that is where it will stay until I can offload it/share it on Monday!

Have a great Friday all!

Last edited by Madison; 08-07-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #93  

S/C/G: 193/seeticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottagebythesea View Post
I can make almost any recipe vegetarian by subbing veggie crumbles, beans, or "fake" chicken for the meat, and it turns out just as well, (or even better, IMHO) as the original recipe.
I know where to find the beans, but where do you find veggie crumbles? Thanks. Poor DH is getting tired of all of my eggplant recipes. LOL.
LaMariposa018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #94  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I can find both the Morningstar Farm and the Boca brands of veggie crumbles in the freezer in the vegetarian section of all the supermarkets around here. If your store has a whole/natural foods section, you may find them in there, too.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:31 AM   #95  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Welcome, Tink, Karen and Kristin! Danni, I hope your cold is better. (I used to ALWAYS get a cold when I started a new diet -- didn't this time. I used to laugh and say it was the sudden addition of vegetables )

I'm down another pound. This is the first diet I've been on when I said, starting out, that I did not need to lose quickly, I was not going to make "you have to lose 10 pounds by this date," and I've lost more this week (6 pounds so far; I'm on Day 7) than any of my WW attempts.

And you know, if I'd only lost 2 I'd be happy. I feel so much better -- no brain fog, no need-for-naps, no bloat.

Thanks for the grilled veg tips. This week was Getting Used to the Beach Week. Now that I have a regular meal pattern in place (think of that!) I'm going to play around with recipes a bit more. Have a great day, everyone!

Last edited by Xan; 08-07-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #96  
One meal at a time!

S/C/G: 198/185/130

Height: 5' 2"

Thanks for all the welcome backs. Day 1 went really well. I'm trying to have a different frame of mind this time. After all, this is a new way of eating, not a diet right?...LOL
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #97  
~jus' being me~

Great progress Xan! I have had the worst work week which is continuing today Saturday!!!!! Butttttt have found that my energy is really high. I love that. That's what stops me from veering off course. Knowing I feel good

ok off to start my day. Am going to head to the organic grocer before work and get a variety of legumes. They have great stuff there.
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #98  
Tink is on The Beach

S/C/G: 240/see signature/150

Height: 5'7

Hello Xan! Wow thats great to hear that you lost 6lbs already and you still have another 7 days ahead of you! It gives me hope, but then again I don't wanna weigh in and get upset if I don't see a big number.... so I'm going to TRY to wait until the 14th day. I'm also thinking of doing maybe 3 weeks or slowlllllyyyy adding other foods because I have a lot to lose.

Good to hear you had a good first day as well Karen. My first day was suprisingly easy.

Today was 2. My breakfast was plain lowfat yougurt and OMG that was the most horrible thing I've ever tasted. I was under the impression that the yogurt they used at mcdonalds in their parfait is plain....hahahahah I couldn't have been more wrong. So I added vanila, cinnomin, and splenda to it and it tasted .... ok... Any other suggestions for making that white stuff taste good? lol

Also is there a limit to how much splenda, cinnomin, or other spices you use? Thanks in advance!

Heres to day 3 that starts in.... 18 mins and I'm at my boyfriends for the weekend and I already know this is going to be REALLY hard. He is not dieting and eats all my "old" favorite foods.

For anyone who hasn't found this awesome treat:

I went to GIANT today and they had this 20 pack of popsicles made with splenda. All sugar free. You get popsicles that are 10 calories, fudgsicles that are 35 calories, and creamsicles that are 20. THEY ARE SO GOOD!!!

Have a good weekend everyone!!
TinkFreak117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #99  

S/C/G: 249/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Welcome to all the new Beachers!

Today is day 13 for me. Really?!? It has flown by!

I am so excited to report that I have not yet strayed from the P1 plan, and I feel really, really great physically. I can't wait for weigh-in and measurements on Monday.

I have found that the "peanut butter cup" recipe in the Phase 1 Desserts menu is way too tasty. In fact, if I let myself, I could eat 4 or 5 servings of it. I do not crave sugar or carbs, but I do find myself craving that, I think because it is "allowed" so I may have to take it off my list of allowed treats for now. But finding what works and adapting this way of life so it is sustainable - that is what this is all about, right?

Keep up the great work, everyone!!
jrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #100  

S/C/G: 249/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Tink, if the yogurt tastes horrible to you, you don't have to eat that. The biggest benefit of South Beach for me is that I can adapt it to my own tastes, and I LOVE the foods I'm eating!

I also don't care for eggs all that much, so I find that I often have non-breakfast foods for breakfast. They are usually much more filling and definitely more satisfying than eating something I don't even like. I've tried to like yogurt and I just don't (unless it's frozen ice-cream style!). I also don't care for eggplant. Does this mean I fail at SouthBeach? No way! Learn to adapt what you do like so it fits the plan.

I don't think there is any limit to the amount of Splenda and there is definitely no limit on spices and seasonings - just be sure they don't have any added sugar (some of the seasoning blends you buy off the shelf, especially meat rubs and such, have sugar added).
jrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #101  
Beach Babe in Training

S/C/G: 185.8/180.2/145

Height: 5' 9"

Oh, I agree, those peanut butter cups are sooo yummy!! I think I had them every single night during P1. Now I'm trying to do every other night. I had originally bought a no-name brand of NSA fudgsicles. When those ran out, got the real NSA Fudgsicles, wow, what a difference, they taste so much better than the generic ones!! So even just having one of those with a glass of FF milk at night has been a real treat for me.

Just finished first week of P2 and am still losing -- wow!! The only thing I added back in was my wine, was really missing that. Luckily, it did not affect me. This week I'll add in brown rice -- had some last night with pepper strips and chicken and a little bit of guac. The fam was having chicken soft tacos and I just tweaked my meal a little bit to stay SB friendly.

I'm still feeling great and full of energy!! Still have a hamstring injury so have not been able to exercise yet. Seeing the doc on Monday so hopefully he'll have some answers for me!

I love coming hear and seeing how all of you are handing your journeys, successes and the inevitable bumps in the road. Stay strong, and have a great weekend, chickies!!
CindieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #102  
One meal at a time!

S/C/G: 198/185/130

Height: 5' 2"

Day 2 went good for me again. Day 3 should be ok too. I do have a question though. Tomorrow morning we are going to breakfast at Shoney's with friends. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can eat off of the breakfast bar.
Thanks in advance.
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #103  
Nutrisystem

S/C/G: 191/191/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I am brand new and waiting on my book to arrive. I have never done South Beach, but need something I can finally live my life on naturally and not a self imposed diet. I am a Type 2 diabetic and have gotten my blood sugar under control with my medication Metformin. I do 4 mile Walk Away the Lbs DVD's. I also do some strength training. I did one month of Nutrisystem D which nearly broke me financially and I just felt this was such a unatural way of eating and the food was not that good. I have been on the American Diabetes Association diet and don't want to eat all the carbs on it. It is a little to high and I saw my blood sugars creeping up.

So...from what I have read so far on SB it seams the most natural way to eat for the rest of my life. I should be getting the books next week from Amazon. Delighted to meet all of you. I love this forum a lot.

Can't wait to meet you all.

Melanie in Colorado
Melsie52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #104  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Welcome Melanie. South Beach is a wonderful, healthy way to eat for permanent weight loss. Hopefully, as you lose, you will need less medication for your diabetes. Karen, toughie on the Shoney's breakfast bar. I don't know if they have plain scrambled eggs, but maybe you could order off the menu. Looks like they have steak & eggs on the menu. I know it's not low fat, but I eat a sausage link at work when I eat scrambled eggs in the cafeteria. I just blot most of the grease off of it. Maybe you can order a glass of V8 juice there too. Do the best you can and here's wishing you luck!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #105  
Nutrisystem

S/C/G: 191/191/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Thank you so much Anne for the welcome. I so appreciate it.
Melanie in Colorado
Melsie52 is offline   Reply With Quote