Hooping Thread

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Does anyone hoop? Curious about hooping? Ask away here! Talk about your last hooping session here! There are a few short exercise videos on youtube and there was one on exercise tv. There are a few exercise DVDs for hooping.

According to recent article from ACE, hooping burns 210 calories every thirty minutes. Let's get hooping!
  • My last hoop session was a combination of hooping/body weight exercises. Was tons of fun and felt great!
  • I love hooping but have a very small apartment. All my hooping is just waist and hips, no room for anything else
  • I have some nice hula hoops, but can't seem to keep it up.
  • I love it, but until Spring my hoop is in hibernation.
  • Quote: I have some nice hula hoops, but can't seem to keep it up.
    Are you sure they are the correct size? Larger is better, even for fitness (although those wavy/bumpy hoops I wouldn't suggest). I went through five hoops before finding one that worked for my body. Also, have you tried spinning with the rotation of your hoop? That means it gives you more time to hit the hoop with your body. Other saves are hooping faster and squatting to pick up the hoop back to your waist. Honestly if you do not have a strong core, it may just be hard in the beginning. When I found that good hoop, I could literally feel my muscles cramping up and stopping. There was no "hooping faster" because my muscles couldn't do it. I'd count seconds on the clock. Eventually I worked up to a minute, then minutes, then 16 minutes, after that, I felt accomplished.

Today I didn't sleep (I work nights) and instead I went to a two hour hoop yoga class. It was amazing. Makes me want to do yoga more often. Unlike the Just My Size Yoga, it felt like I was doing something and I wasn't bored yet not super fast like most yoga DVDs.
  • Mine is a bumpy weighted hoop. I love it but if I slack I feel it. Takes some getting used to the weighted hoop hitting my hips. I would love to try a class!

Funny you mentioned yoga I have just started getting back to my yoga DVDs. I like classes better but both classes close to home ended and getting to one 40 minutes away just doesn't work. I do like the hour long Yoga Zone DVDs.
  • I love hooping! I need to re-clear an area in my basement so I can get back to it. I have a heavier hoop from Hoopnotica. It came with a great dvd.
  • I love the hoopnotica DVDs. I'm thinking of getting a Hoopnotica teacher certification once I can secure a host location (then I get it for free!).
  • I really, really didn't want to exercise today. Instead I just started hooping and did just the most important strength exercises in between hooping sets. I'm still sore from hoop yoga though. Some activity is better than none!
  • I LOVE the hoola hoop. I usually use at the gym before the classes start because I'm always there 20 minutes or so early for some reason

I want to get myself a heavier one though, as the ones at the gym have become too easy for me.
  • I have a large heavy hoop and a medium heavy hoop. I've actually "hooped" the larger one once, but as soon as I stopped, I was never able to do it again. lol. I'm sure just trying and failing still gives me a workout since it makes me sweat, but I get frustrated.
  • If you're squatting to pick up the hoop, that's totally exercise. It took me a month of solid trying before even getting a good spin that barely lasted a few minutes, if that. The biggest key is building that muscle memory which is frustrating at times! I think Hoopalicious said once, "Always remember to hoop on your core and remember every skill can be hard. But you got to teach your body to do this. Then, you'll have a smart body!" Or something like that. It was inspiring and I go around saying to myself, "Go you! I have a smart body! Weeee!"
  • Thanks. I might actually give it a try again.
  • I love hooping! Unfortunately it's too cold outside right now, and I don't have nearly enough room inside. I've been hooping for a couple of years now, but haven't been picking up the hoop nearly enough lately.

The thing I love about hooping is that even though it seems hard, and some tricks seem near impossible, it just takes learning how to move correctly. Once you get that down it seems so easy and you wonder what took so long!

Daimere, that sure looks like an LED hoop in your picture! What kind do you have? I built one, but have been having issues with it. I'm thinking about rewarding myself with a PSI hoop if I can stick to my fitness goals.