Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-17-2006, 08:49 AM   #61  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone.
I hate, hate, hate not being able to use my treadmill. Do you all think that lying on the floor and using my 2# weights for arm exercises and doing leg lifts and such would help any, just so I don't feel like such a total slug. I was thinking of doing this. No exercise at all makes me feel lazy.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:05 AM   #62  

Anything is better than nothing. I do bodyflex which is deep breathing with stretches. Since I have lung problems I think it helps me feel better. When I don't do it I feel worse. I need to do it first thing in the morning because if I put it off I get lazy and don't do it at all.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:08 PM   #63  

Hi All! It has been faaaaaaaaaaar too long since I've written, although I did check in the other day to try to get an avatar up and a scale "chart," but I'm so inept at "computerizing" that I failed on both accounts. But that doesn't matter compared to the reading I've done here. I'm just so inspired by all the posts here, not only in the Maintainers' area, but everywhere on this site. I've been "away" because I've grown my business (personal training!) and in any spare time, have been working on a book about my story of losing weight (at age 48!). I'm now 58 and still at goal, which I think is partly due to my job. I simply live at the gym. I agree with all the articles Meg and others have found stating sources that indicate how different we are at goal weight from other Normals who are the same weight that we are. Sometimes it seems so unfair, but, can't stay stuck in a well of pity, right?! I didn't include this research in my book (coming out November!), but would like to include it in my next tome, if I can find time. It's HARD to maintain still, even though I've been doing it for so long. I really must be vigilant ALL the time. If I'm not, I'm dieting (awful word) again. I look forward to getting to know some of you newbies who I don't know - you are so motivating! Lilybelle, Reg, Rabbit - perhaps you were posting a while ago when I found this site, but never got to read your stories. Yes, I'm from CA and these restaurants out here DO serve portions that are way too big. Looking forward to reading more of your posts.
Never2Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:20 PM   #64  
lilybelle

Never2Late, Hi, nice to meet you. I only found this site in Feb. this year, but I love it. I look forward to reading your posts.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:52 PM   #65  

Lilybelle- moved by your pictures and story! There are so many incredible tales on this site that motivate me and help me to stay the course. Weekends tend to go slow with the work and it's easy to let go, but finding this site again is helping already and I look forward to staying in touch - giving and getting info that I know will help me "stay the course"!!! L. - your pix are amazing! Keep it up!
Old 08-19-2006, 07:27 AM   #66  

Hi All:
Welcome Never2late. Good luck with your book. I have kept a journal on the journey and it contiues to inspire me. I won't want to share mine and I think its great that you wrote yours into a book.
Lillybelle check with your pt. They can judge what you can do at this point. Dont want to do any more damage. Are you able to walk around much yet. Maybe the weights would be okay. check first.
I am on vacation this week and my goal is to not I repeat not gain 8 pounds like last time. By not I dont mean I can gain more than that(LOL). Yesterday's kick off of vaca went well. I actually order a grilled chicken salad for dinner. Thats big for me on VACA. The rest of the time its a normal meal.
I also said the small word when ordering a fat free ice cream. Little steps.
So wish me vaca success.
I ll check in when able. Have a great weekend.
Reg4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:31 PM   #67  
lilybelle

Never2Late, thanks.
Reg4242, I am going to check with my PT. I see him again on Monday. So far I can't tell much difference in my foot except I can wiggle it a little side to side but not up and down, it's still dropping. I am doing exercises at home. The immobilizer boot is the only thing that helps me be able to get around in the house.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:54 PM   #68  

Lilybelle - scrolled through this thread to see what happened! So sorry, but it sounds like you're coming out of the tunnel now and back into the light. I know how hard this must seem. I broke my ankle, tibia and fibula 3 years ago (on an old eroded rock climber's trail after a perfect day on the rock, natch!) and had three operations on it. Somehow, I was lucky to gain maybe 3 pounds. It may have been the first time my appetite was slightly diminished from the pain meds, maybe? At any rate, as Meg has pointed out a few times, I think maintenance (and losing too) is largely an inside job. It comes from making challenging goals, for me, and if I'm having trouble, I reset the goal to make it all work. I know you will get through this - look how far you've come! I'm so impressed! And Gina! You made such good choices on your first vacation day - unlike I did last weekend, when we went hiking in the high Sierras. I was just famished at the end of each day and ate more than I should have. Luckily, I guess I used up bunches of kcals too, cause I seemed to have maintained. You can do it. Grilled chicken salad sounds really yummy, but it's a hot day here. I hope you have great weather and a wonderful time on your vacation. And Lilybelle - keep up the great attitude and work. Write YOUR book! Actually, that's part of what I did when I was recouping from the ankle biz. Have great weekends all!
Old 08-21-2006, 05:43 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning!

Have any of you scrolled past a thread called something like "When did you think that enoughs enough ...."? Now, I usually tell the story of the funeral pants but lately I've been inclined to say something like "several times a week' or "the day after my daughters wedding" or "early each Monday morning".

I'm feeling sorry that folks think it's as easy/difficult as making one decision that sticks forever.

I guess the reality of being ever mindful is an arc on the learning curve.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:50 AM   #70  

Hi SusanB,

???????? On your last post ? I guess you hit a rough patch. I hope things are Ok now,

Keep posting,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:45 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Oh no no no ... I'm fine! Quite good the last few days actually. It was another post I read (several I've seen over time really). When folks post asking when you knew it was time to lose weight ... I feel that they are waiting for a lightening strike or something. A decision will be made, the weight will come off and they will be done.
I can't answer that we make that decision every day and sometimes more than that. It would be too discouraging.
But maybe that magical thinking will get them started.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:33 PM   #72  
lilybelle

For me I feel like I did have a "lightening bolt". It was when my doctor jumped all over me and basically told me it was life or death. This gave me the incentive to get started. Then, daily I made the decision to continue to eat right and exercise. I still get up everyday and make the decision to do the right things to keep the weight off. I no longer have the scale dropping for an incentive. I just learned over time that I feel better, look better and want to continue to live this way. As far as "being done" there is never a "being done". This is life and that is how it is. I didn't know that before coming to 3FC's and I am re-learning every single day to accept this.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:16 PM   #73  

Height: 5'7"

My weight loss/maintenance journey also began with something like a 'lightning bolt'. My trigger wasn't as obvious as Lily's, but for a hundred tiny reasons that are too numerous to mention here, I decided that this was all about COMMITMENT to myself (all caps on purpose) and realized that I was in fact up to that, and while it wouldn't always be pleasant, it was doable. Once I took that road, I could make all the little decisions that made it possible. Before then, I just was not in the right headspace to do that. I could have written a nutrition book and a fitness book with all the knowledge in my head, I just didn't have it in me to act on it. The work just began at that point, but after that one decision, I could do it.

I've lost and regained at least 50 lbs a couple times in my life before. I wish I knew what was different about this time, besides maturity, a willingness to change myself and do what it takes, and an acceptance of life's realities instead of wishful thinking. These were not especially new concepts to me since I used them in the rest of life, and they certainly aren't earthshattering news to anyone. If I could define for myself just what exactly made it click this time, just put that final piece in place, I'd sell it and make a fortune.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:33 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I definitely feel like I had a lightning bolt moment, except I normally say it felt like I grabbed an electric fence. Everything changed forever, 25 months and counting!

I also wish I could bottle it and pass it out to everyone that is struggling. I feel...well, I feel like a miracle happened to me.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:46 AM   #75  
lilybelle

Hi everyone. Well my weight is certainly dropping but for the wrong reason. I have had some gastroenteritis. Was at the doctor yesterday. I am down to 137 that's a 5lb. loss in 5 days. Can't seem to keep anything in. He did X-rays and lab work. My liver enzymes were up terribly which usually happens to me whenever I get sick. He put me on antibiotics (Cipro) and Carafate and Phenergan. If I am not better by tomorrow he plans to put me in the hospital for a couple days. My sodium and potassium levels are off too. I feel pretty lousy. I feel thin that's for sure but I know it's just from being dehydrated. The rest of my family had a bout with this stomach sickness and 24 hrs. later they were OK. I just can't seem to fight off illness once I get sick. I'm sure it's due to my weak immune system and underlying liver disease. The worst part is that I missed my PT yesterday due to being sick. I tried to go, but got sick when I stopped to get gas in my car. I have been doing my PT exercises at home that they gave me to do. Here's to hoping that I am up and feeling well tomorrow. I tried sugar-free jello for breakfast to see if I stick to clear liquids if the food will stay down.