Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Stay safe, Deborah!

Shannon--- your trip sounds divine.

As are cruises, Moving Forward. Ours will be to the Caribbean so we should have plenty of beach time, snorkeling, etc. I will have to be uber careful not to get sun though-- it's important not to get sun when you're undergoing laser hair removal-- plus it's important anyway....

Why is it whenever I change my ticker downwards (after seeing the lower weight for several days in a row), my weight immediately spikes?

I'll blame it on the weightlifting I did yesterday.... hopefully...
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #17  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I'm probably the only one who doesn't like "fluffy," which to me sounds like a pet's name. My childhood pet was a beautiful deep gray mouser, a Russian Blue named Puffy because she had a white powder-puff marking in the center of her chest. For some reason, my grandmother could never get this simple name right. For about 15 years, as long as the cat lived, my grandmother called her "Fluffy" instead.

I'm at 144.1 today, post-breakfast.

Exercise: Leg lifts, lots of them, with 3-lb weights attached to both ankles.
When I say "lots," I mean 3 sets of 20 reps on each leg for three different exercises, 60 more reps on a fourth exercise for the injured leg. Then 3 sets of 20 reps on both legs for bicycling. And 3 sets of 20 reps on the injured leg for kickbacks and high knees. And I do this twice on days that I don't have physical therapy.

5 lb. dumbbell routine, about 10 different moves for 20 reps each. This is just to do something, and to keep my arms solid for having to use the walker.

Today's meals:

My big breakfast: Egg bake with mushrooms and spinach, steel-cut oatmeal with pumpkin and raisins, nonfat Fage, raspberries
Lunch: Sauerkraut and ground beef soup
Snack: Plum
Dinner: Lentil daal with spinach and cauliflower over quinoa, frozen Jell-O sugarfree pudding cup

Last edited by saef; 01-27-2015 at 07:38 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #18  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I don't think 'fluffy' crosses the Atlantic. At least it hasn't made it into my brain.

Is it the opposite of 'hard body' which people used sometimes on the Ladies Who Lift board? (I'm really not sure whether this is an unpleasant word or not.)

Or does it mean fat and squidgy?

I think I'm asking does it mean fat (=overweight) or soft (=out of condition) or both.

Where does it come from? I know that it's not something to aspire to.

Thanks in advance for your patience.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #19  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

I think fluffy = squidgy, more or less. It's a cutesy word often used for animals as Saef points out.

DH finally had his surgery yesterday, they found all the free-floating bone fragments and aligned them with a plate and screws. Surgery went well and he's home now. I'm at work staring in dismay at all that I need to do. On the plus side, I went to 5 am bootcamp, trying to start myself back on the correct path toward anti-fluffiness. I've managed to cut most of the sugar out of my daily diet, finally.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:13 PM   #20  
in development

Thanks, JayZeeJay.

Very glad that your DH's surgery has happened and went well. Phew. And good work with the boot camp and the sugar. Surely those changes will help with your work - more energy, clearer thinking?
Old 01-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #21  
Workin' It

I equate fluffy with soft, for whatever reason. With me now, it is unconditioned and carrying some extra pounds. Squidgy sounds like it means what I imagine.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:29 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I saw a thread on the Featherweights forum years ago - when I was keener there - where they had photos of "fluffy" pets - fat pets. For me "fluffy" is more than 5 lbs. overweight and less muscle tone than I usually have.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:29 AM   #23  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Since I'd never heard the term "fluffy" to describe fat before last year, the title of this thread made me immediately think that someone was sparring with a rabbit :>) No, really (Monty Python's Holy Grail left a big impression on me).
And, I guess I'm right there with everyone else on this thread, planning to keep on maintaining through the New Year (which currently entails see-sawing around a 3 pound interval, that I really wish were the next 3 pounds down).
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #24  
Girl Gone Strong

I'm posting here to stay motivated, because I am getting so very bored with doing all those leg raises, and yet they are critical to my maintaining my leg muscles while unable to walk.

145.1 after breakfast, +1 lb. from yesterday

Today's meals:

Breakfast: Same egg bake as yesterday, same steel-cut oats, yogurt and cut-up green mystery melon (looks like a honeydew, but on the outside looks like a cantaloupe)
Lunch: Spinach salad with roasted vegetables, walnuts, goat cheese, low-sugar Craisins
snack: Rome apple
Dinner: Pork loin stuffed with dried apples and chestnuts, steamed green beans, steamed brussels sprouts, sweet potato
Frozen Jell-o sugarfree pudding

Exercise:

I did this twice today, in the morning & just before bed time:
Front leg raise 3x20, Lateral leg raise 3x20, Lateral w/ toes up 3x20, Lateral opposite 3x20 (just left leg)
Bicycle 3x20, Kickback 3x20 and High knee 3x20 (just left leg)

Five-pound dumbbell routine

Last edited by saef; 01-29-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #25  
Workin' It

Saef - you can do this.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

saef~Galia melon Notes: This sweet, juicy melon is a honeydew-cantaloupe cross. The photo looks like a cantaloupe but it is green inside. The site (cook's thesaurus) said it is very expensive.

I'm still suffering from the "I don't want to get up and exercise" blues or funk or whatever. Yet my weight is okay.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:05 PM   #27  
in development

Interesting. I only buy Galia melons. I hadn't noticed they were expensive here.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 155/124.5/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey maintainers! I haven't checked in in a while because I've been rather busy.

I've had a good January despite the epic blizzard yesterday. A friend of mine has been visiting me for the ENTIRE MONTH, so we've been eating out a lot and she's wanted me to spend time with her after work every day.

So, for the entire month of January I stopped tracking my food and stopped working out and.... maintained my weight perfectly! We've been eating out for 3-4 meals a week plus she has me drinking a lot more (alcohol) than I would on my own, plus I've been generally much less active than I normally am, but the weight stayed off.

I'm quite pleased by this but definitely planning to get back on the fitness horse as soon as she's out the door and on a plane.
underanalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #29  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Perhaps we could make this more of a maintaining and exercise combo thread; it seems like many of us benefit from reporting our exercise and I always like reading what everyone else is doing, for inspiration.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:46 PM   #30  
Girl Gone Strong

I like what Birchie's been doing on t'other thread, but I don't want to lose 10 pounds or more, so I stayed over here.

Also I feel slack and wobbly and so un-toned from not exercising the way I used to, for three months now. So "fluffy," as much as I think it's about bunnies and angora cats, may be a good adjective for me.

Last edited by saef; 01-28-2015 at 08:47 PM.