Old 09-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #151  
Version 5.0 - In progress

S/C/G: 222/180/180

Height: 6'2"

Sorry I dropped off the face of the earth. I made one post about 2 weeks ago, then vanished. Since I appear to be the only guy in this forum (at least for now) I feel an odd obligation to maintain a presence. :-)

One week after my previous post (and one week into P4) I went in for abdominal surgery. Since I was primarily sedentary before my weight loss, and during, and now immediately after, I'm a bit concerned about how things will eventually shake out. A bit. Not too much.

I'm trying to "maintain" while recovering from surgery and being sedentary (at least for the moment). But, actually, I've kinda slacked WAY off of trying to watch what I eat to give my body a better chance to heal.

I haven't gone nuts (well, only once) but I've allowed myself to eat pretty much whatever, and whenever I've felt in the mood. Wisely, I only have a few "bad choices" in the house. I plan on making sure those don't last beyond next week and then I won't be buying those things again.

Ruth Ann: Thanks for your comments awhile back. I'm really trying to figure out a good balance percentage for Carbs / Fats / Proteins. I would love to figure out what ratios will give me the best results. I've never heard anything about a 3:1 ratio for Carb:Fat or Fat:Carb in the lunch and dinner meals. I like that idea. Is that something you picked up from someone, or did you stumble on that yourself? It sounds like we have a little bit in common when it comes to surgery and exercise. I'll be starting to add exercise in to my regular routine as soon as I get the OK from my surgeon (probably in about a week).

Maile: Thanks for the suggestion of checking the other Maintainers forum for meals.

Evemomma:
I'll have to check out the meals you posted.

Right now my weight is a few pounds over my maintenance target, but I'm really not concerned. I'll be shifting things around once I start moving again. My diet will change, my exercise will increase, I plan to walk, bike, do yoga, Salsa dancing, and body-weight-based strength training. I'll be fine.

It's just a matter of figuring out what works. That's why chatting with you ladies is such a nice way to discover more options. I like learning from your experience.

Thanks for that.
JHep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #152  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

JHep....good for you for keeping up the men's side of IP! I hope your recovery is going well. Abdominal surgery can be tough to recover from....take it easy so you don't get a post-surgery hernia!

I am ALMOST in maintenance officially. Wahoo! I have one more week on P3 before I am fully transitioned over to P4. I am such a fan of these breakfasts (put a few more ideas in the P3 breakfast thread today), I am stoked that I "get" to continue them into P4.

I have found that planning my meals out has been the key to success this far, and I imagine it will only be MORE so in P4. I know that our bodies are all different, but could some of you share your guidelines you use for fat during lunch and carbs at dinner (or any formulas you have used or been told to use)?

I know that I can easily convert a P3 lunch to P4 by adding fat....just not sure what is a good amount to add at least to start. And same for dinner, just not sure what a good serving is to start with on healthy carbs.

Also, I would love to hear about what healthy snacks you use, how often, and how you follow guidelines for those daily?

I will continue to read Maintainers Eating threads also! THanks for SO much for those who post their meals, as I know it takes time. I read every one of them!!!!

Last edited by evemomma; 09-03-2014 at 02:57 PM.
evemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #153  

Default Oh, I should hope not

Quote:
Originally Posted by evemomma View Post
JHep....good for you for keeping up the men's side of IP! I hope your recovery is going well. Abdominal surgery can be tough to recover from....take it easy so you don't get a post-surgery hernia!
eGAD!! The entire reason I had surgery was to repair a double hernia!! No, I don't want that. :-)

One topic you just reminded me to ask these Wonderful Women Of Experience:

Any thoughts on in-between-meal-snacks? If I eat a "blended" carb / fat / protein breakfast, low-carb lunch, low fat dinner...

What composition should my pre-lunch and pre-dinner snacks take? Does it matter? If I have almonds before lunch, then I'm already in the low-carb mode on my way toward lunch. If I have an orange before dinner, that's low-fat. Or do those distinctions only matter if I'm eating a larger meal? Is it an issue if I choose a healthy-ish snack that has a blend of carbs and fats (not sure what that would be).

Or is this actually a topic best addressed in a different forum?

Last edited by JHep; 09-03-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #154  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

JHep - sorry to hear of your surgery! I had hernia surgery while I was in the middle of P1 and it is no fun at all! Best of luck in your healing.

The 3:1 ratio for meals is what my coach told me to follow (I have a fantastic coach) and it's actually pretty easy to follow once you get the hang of it. If you are a little short on fat in your fat meal adding healthy fats (avocado, olive oil, etc.) is pretty easy. Or cheese. Cheese goes with everything.

Evemomma - you'll figure out what your personal carb tolerance is. I tend to stay between 100 and 125 net carbs a day but if I go over I don't worry too much. If I go over several days I try to go lower carb for a few days just to equal things out. So far it's worked, I've been staying right in my weight range for the 4 months I've been maintaining.

I have my percentages in MFP set for 30% carbs; 35% fat and 35% protein. It's a little off what I am actually doing but close enough. You probably will have to play with your percentages some to see what works best for you. If I drop my fat too low I get the Big C and I hate that.

For in-between meal snacks I love Quest bars and the rest is usually veggies. I do like a dessert type snack after dinner but I usually count that as part of my dinner. I think (although never had anyone tell me so) if you're eating a snack a couple of hours in between meals that you probably shouldn't worry about whether it's carb or fat. If someone has a different opinion/information I'm sure they will jump in.

Don't be afraid to tinker around with the percentages, calories, etc. when you start maintenance - it takes a bit to find what works for you. I had to up my calories from what I started with because I was still losing and then upped my fat because my body works better that way.

Okay, that was longer than I expected it to be but hopefully useful!
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #155  
Evemomma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
JHep - sorry to hear of your surgery! I had hernia surgery while I was in the middle of P1 and it is no fun at all! Best of luck in your healing.

The 3:1 ratio for meals is what my coach told me to follow (I have a fantastic coach) and it's actually pretty easy to follow once you get the hang of it. If you are a little short on fat in your fat meal adding healthy fats (avocado, olive oil, etc.) is pretty easy. Or cheese. Cheese goes with everything.

Evemomma - you'll figure out what your personal carb tolerance is. I tend to stay between 100 and 125 net carbs a day but if I go over I don't worry too much. If I go over several days I try to go lower carb for a few days just to equal things out. So far it's worked, I've been staying right in my weight range for the 4 months I've been maintaining.

I have my percentages in MFP set for 30% carbs; 35% fat and 35% protein. It's a little off what I am actually doing but close enough. You probably will have to play with your percentages some to see what works best for you. If I drop my fat too low I get the Big C and I hate that.

For in-between meal snacks I love Quest bars and the rest is usually veggies. I do like a dessert type snack after dinner but I usually count that as part of my dinner. I think (although never had anyone tell me so) if you're eating a snack a couple of hours in between meals that you probably shouldn't worry about whether it's carb or fat. If someone has a different opinion/information I'm sure they will jump in.

Don't be afraid to tinker around with the percentages, calories, etc. when you start maintenance - it takes a bit to find what works for you. I had to up my calories from what I started with because I was still losing and then upped my fat because my body works better that way.

Okay, that was longer than I expected it to be but hopefully useful!
SUPER helpful! Thanks so much for taking the time to post your input. I know it will be a learning experience, but I seem to do better with my anticipation anxiety if I can do a little pre-planning.

Can you explain the 3:1 ratio more in detail?

JHep....good to know I'm not alone in trying to figure out healthy snack ideas!
Old 09-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #156  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by evemomma View Post
SUPER helpful! Thanks so much for taking the time to post your input. I know it will be a learning experience, but I seem to do better with my anticipation anxiety if I can do a little pre-planning.

Can you explain the 3:1 ratio more in detail?

JHep....good to know I'm not alone in trying to figure out healthy snack ideas!
3:1 is super easy evemomma - for instance, lunch today was my fat meal:

Kirkland Signature (Costco - Chicken Breast - Canned In Water, 6.25 oz carbs: 0; fat 3; fiber 0

Bell Pepper - Green, Raw, Organic, 1 cup, raw
carbs: 7; fat: 0; fiber: 5
Celery - Raw, 1 cup chopped
carbs: 3; fat 0; fiber: 2

French's - 100% Natural Classic Yellow Mustard, 2 tsp (5 g)
carbs: 0; fat: 0; fiber: 0

Generic - Whole Hass Avacado, 3 oz
carbs: 8; fat 14; fiber 6

Earthbound Farm Organic - Spring Mix, 3 oz (2 C.)
carbs: 4; fat: 0; fiber: 1

Kraft - Three Cheese Mexicana Shredded , 0.5 cup
carbs: 0; fat 14; fiber: 0

So I ended up with a total of 10 gr carbs (22-12 fiber) and 31 gr of fat

I want to have 3x as much fat as I do carbs for this meal so 10 gr of carbs x 3 = 30 and my fat was 31 gr so I'm golden.

It's really not complicated, it just seems that way when you start!
Old 09-03-2014, 05:05 PM   #157  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

JHep... a salsa dancing maintainer-man! Haha, good thing I am a happily married woman or you would be hunted down by now.

I totally ditto everything Ruth Ann has written on this page! I am doing the exact same thing and my coach also stressed the 3:1 ratio. Sometimes for me it's only 2:1 but I try not to do that too often. Snacks are whatever in my book, but generally trying not to combine high carb/high fat together in the snack.

Liana

ETA: YESSSS! Cheese does go with everything, lol.

Last edited by canadjineh; 09-03-2014 at 05:07 PM.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #158  

Default And, that, ladies is why I'm on v5.0

canadjineh: THAT'S the reason I'm reworking myself. For comments like that! hehehehe

Actually, I really am on v5.0 (gonna be 50 next month) and I've got a list of self-improvements that I've procrastinated into a big pile. I'm working my way through them more or less in order.
  1. Lose the extra weight - done
  2. Learn to cook well - in progress (cooking classes pending)
  3. Get in healthy shape - pending surgery recovery
  4. Learn to play guitar - in progress for about a year now (LOVE my acoustic)
  5. Practice Yoga regularly - see "get in healthy shape" above
  6. Learn Salsa Dancing - same as above
  7. Find a woman - yep, it's all a marketing campaign

Glad to see I've selected at least one good thing on my list.

Oh, so regarding snacks... I shouldn't have eaten that entire box of double-stuff Oreos with ice cold milk? Hmmm. I might have to rethink my approach. :-P

Last edited by JHep; 09-03-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #159  
Started IP 04/22/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
JHep... a salsa dancing maintainer-man! Haha, good thing I am a happily married woman or you would be hunted down by now.
Too funny Liana! I was thinking the exact same thing!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #160  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Perfect marketing campaign, JHep... Are you by any chance in the advertising field; I can see a great career there if you aren't too busy being a famous salsa dancing guitarist and chef...
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #161  
Evemomma

Thanks for the better explanation on 3:1.....I heard a chorus of angels singing as I realized how easy that is to figure out compared to P3 breakfasts!!!!! Amen!
Old 09-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #162  

Default I'll get there eventually

Evemomma: I envy your culinary creativity. It took me 3 hours of intense internet research just to construct one acceptable P3 breakfast. Of course, I was starting with completely empty cupboards, so I had to plan an entirely P3-compatible grocery trip before I could make a meal.

I come from a "Hamburger Helper" childhood, so I was never taught how to cook anything. When I got married, it was safer for both of us for me to just stay out of the kitchen (she wasn't inclined to teach).

Now that I'm on my own, well, I sorta have to get a handle on that if I ever hope to invite someone over for a healthy home cooked meal, as opposed to ordering something to be delivered.

I've got a long road ahead of me before I manage to check off that "learn to cook well" item. :-/

... well ...

That was melancholy.

Time for bed. I'm going to try to commute to work tomorrow. First time since my surgery (I've been teleworking for the last two days). Maybe I'll be visited by the ghost of Julia Child in my dreams tonight! Either that or I'll have nightmares about all of my cookbooks being written in Japanese.

Good night, all.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:04 PM   #163  
Evemomma

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHep View Post
Evemomma: I envy your culinary creativity. It took me 3 hours of intense internet research just to construct one acceptable P3 breakfast. Of course, I was starting with completely empty cupboards, so I had to plan an entirely P3-compatible grocery trip before I could make a meal.

I come from a "Hamburger Helper" childhood, so I was never taught how to cook anything. When I got married, it was safer for both of us for me to just stay out of the kitchen (she wasn't inclined to teach).

Now that I'm on my own, well, I sorta have to get a handle on that if I ever hope to invite someone over for a healthy home cooked meal, as opposed to ordering something to be delivered.

I've got a long road ahead of me before I manage to check off that "learn to cook well" item. :-/

... well ...

That was melancholy.

Time for bed. I'm going to try to commute to work tomorrow. First time since my surgery (I've been teleworking for the last two days). Maybe I'll be visited by the ghost of Julia Child in my dreams tonight! Either that or I'll have nightmares about all of my cookbooks being written in Japanese.

Good night, all.
Thanks! I am DEFINITELY not Julia Child, though I adored watching her when I was a kid!!!! I am a logic puzzle girl, though, so I see P3 breakfasts (and now P4 meals) as a version of a logic puzzle. I just start out with "What sounds good?" and try to figure out how I can make it compliant. I have a morphing idea for some sort of custard/cheesecake/creme brulee breakfast thing using Greek Yogurt and maybe peaches, but I don't have the logistics figured out yet. I posted earlier int the breakfast thread, though, that I made food "flash cards" that I could arrange in different combinations to more easily manipulate my breakfast combos. It may be VERY obsessive, but it's a heckuva lot healthier than my PREVIOUS obsession with junkfood, lol!
Old 09-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #164  

S/C/G: 282/166/170

Height: 5.6

Hello all,

Joy- I have twin girl and boy. They are fun and have been super supportive of my plan. If I go off they will say "mommy that isn't protein". We talk about being healthy and not dieting at home. You must be busy being a grandma to your twin granddaughters.

Canadjineh - enjoy your time relaxing with Dh

Bubbleblower -lol now I understand your name. You will build your muscles carrying all that equipment, 40 lbs wow. When do you leave?

Ruth Ann- I hope I insurance is cooperative for you. I would imagine a reduction would help a lot with the back and neck pain.

Maille- you have survived twins. I can't imagine what it would be like with two little boys

Jhep- wishing you a speedy recovery. Good luck with the cooking classes. My DH does all the cooking and I think that is one of the reasons I feel in love with him.

I took my wedding rings in to get resized and had 140 inscribed in the inside of my engagement ring to cement the lbs I have lost from highest weight ever and when I moved to P2. P2 seems to be going well, I will check out maintainers eating thread for more ideas. I need to learn the break down of things. I suck at math.
Jenny38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #165  

Hey all. I have been out the past couple of days while in Wyoming and have not had a chance to catch up with everyone. I hope labor day was peaceful and restful for everyone. I know I needed a break and it sure felt good to have one.

So, after 35 days of phase 1 to kick off about 10-12lbs I had put on over summer, last night I came home after a long day and was not feeling well. I have been out of the supplements except the fish oil for the past two weeks and have not gotten any more. Anyhow, I had some hard cheddar cheese and some almonds so definitely not phase 1 compliant but not particularly high in carbs. When I woke up this morning, the scale which had been at 129-130 for the past couple days, jumped up to 133-134 (OLD dial scale can be touchy). Anyhow, I noticed my ring was tighter and my eyes puffy probably from the salt on the almonds. I jumped back on phase 1 this morning and will properly begin to phase off. I am approaching my max...I really wanted to get down to 125 but I really question if I get there if I can maintain it. In other words, 135 is my threshold and I don't like to go above it. However, perhaps I really need to begin a serious maintenance plan like I never have before. My former coach basically said eat good 80% of the time and you'll be fine. I used common cents and ate conservatively for the most part but clearly went off the rails hence my having to reboot to get off some lbs.

Long story short, I have been having quite the mental battle about whether to transition at 130 and REALLY give maintenance a try with a new approach or try and go down some more which could be several more weeks. I seriously feel great at 130-135 but not a lb above it. Funny but that 5lbs range on my body is about all it takes to make me feel uncomfortable in my own skin. Also, I read this morning some of the gaining it all back thread and it really made me feel crappy...no one's fault just a lot of mental processing.

I have been reading the 3:1 ratio and I think I will give that a fair and honest shot. It seems like it makes more sense to me than the eat good 80% of the time rule. LOL.

I also really plan on starting to exercise daily. I walk often with my dogs and ride my bike but making a commitment to do yoga each day at home in maintenance is another part of my goal.

Jenny 38 CONGRATS on all your success. I love your inscription on your wedding band. What an amazing reminder of your accomplishments. I love this!

RuthAnn...reduction surgery will be so helpful especially if you are in pain. I hope all the planning goes well and you don't have to battle with the docs and insurance company.

evemomma...your phase 3 breakfasts sound delish! I may have to steal the greek one. My husband loves tiziki and anything greek for that matter.

JHep...I hope your recovery goes well and you take care of yourself.

Canadjineh and RuthAnn...thanks for explaining the 3:1. Like I said, I am really going to give that idea a shot. My former coach was terrible (nice person) but not helpful when it came to maintenance. Clearly, I could use some structure.

Hello to everyone else I missed. There has been a lot going on here since Friday and its been great to catch up. Wishing you all a great Thursday.
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote