3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Quest Bar as an alternative

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #271
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 34

S/C/G: 179/154/130

Height: 5'7.5"

Default

I tried the double chocolate chunk yesterday, and that is my new favorite. The guy at GNC told me it was his fav so I gave it a shot. Regardless of which one I have, I count it as my restricted, but find them super satisfying and they really tide me over way more than the IP restricteds.
Sally4397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #272
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 163

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally4397 View Post
I tried the double chocolate chunk yesterday, and that is my new favorite. The guy at GNC told me it was his fav so I gave it a shot. Regardless of which one I have, I count it as my restricted, but find them super satisfying and they really tide me over way more than the IP restricteds.
Me too! I love this flavor. I only recently tried Quest bars.
goldilocksinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #273
IP start Aug 2012
 
lisa32989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 7,518

S/C/G: 260.2/186 /163

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psjones View Post
chocolate chip cookie dough, chocolate peanut butter, peanut butter supreme, cinnamon roll
Those might be great for folks at goal but the Peanut Butter Supreme doesn't work for P1, with over 200 calories and over 30% fat.

Chocolate Chip Cookie dough is also over 30% fat, so I count it as super-restricted (once/week)
__________________
Losing weight is hard. Maintenance is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard. (-Ishbel)

Last edited by lisa32989 : 11-08-2013 at 10:26 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:54 AM   #274
Joined IP July 25, 2013
 
Meeshellee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Washington....the state, not the Capitol
Posts: 315

S/C/G: 328/IP Start 290.4/Ticker/170

Height: 5'9"

Default

Bump
__________________
Change is a journey, not a destination!



Higest Weight = 328 lbs
IP Start = 290 lbs (7/2013)
Switched to Alternatives = 221 lbs (1/2014)
Meeshellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:28 AM   #275
Senior Member
 
mckaren4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 161

Height: 5'4"

Default

Looking forward to shopping for quest bars after reading this thread!
__________________

Highest weight-March 2013 Started IP Nov 30,2013 @ 209lbs.
I'm not telling you it's going to be easy-I'm telling you it's going to be worth it!!!
We can do this!!!
mckaren4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:39 PM   #276
Re-start IP 1/1/14
 
Mom2Carter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 70

S/C/G: 190/169/140

Height: 5'4"

Default

Bought my first Quest bars today at GNC during my lunch break. I picked up 1 chocolate brownie, 1 strawberry cheesecake, and 1 chocolate peanut butter. The chocolate brownie one only has 5 net carbs! I fee so bad eating it. I'm not sure if I'll count it as restricted or not...technically it is, but I still can't get over eating something with 24g carbs...although it also has 19g fiber. Anyway, it was definitely hard as a brick when i first tried it, so I popped it in the microwave for 20 seconds and it's super soft and yummy. This could be a diet-changer for me.
__________________



Restarting 1/1/14 after losing 40 lbs and reaching goal in Summer 2012, then gaining it all back. New commitment to IP in 2014 and phasing off properly.


WI#1: -8.6; WI#2: -4.4; WI#3: -1.8; WI#4 -4.2 ; WI#5: -2.4
Mom2Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #277
IP start Aug 2012
 
lisa32989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 7,518

S/C/G: 260.2/186 /163

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Carter View Post
Bought my first Quest bars today at GNC during my lunch break. I picked up 1 chocolate brownie, 1 strawberry cheesecake, and 1 chocolate peanut butter. The chocolate brownie one only has 5 net carbs! I fee so bad eating it. I'm not sure if I'll count it as restricted or not...technically it is, but I still can't get over eating something with 24g carbs...although it also has 19g fiber. Anyway, it was definitely hard as a brick when i first tried it, so I popped it in the microwave for 20 seconds and it's super soft and yummy. This could be a diet-changer for me.
Sorry your quest bar was hard. Fresh ones are softer & pliable.
__________________
Losing weight is hard. Maintenance is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard. (-Ishbel)
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #278
Senior Member
 
ColoradoCarol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Frederick Colorado (about 20 miles north of Denver)
Posts: 417

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default

I was thinking about picking up some of these quest bars at GNC - just to have something different to have on hand. I am going to use all other IP products and this will be the only alternative i will use.

Are the cinnamon roll and strawberry cheesecake considered restricted or super restricted or non restricted? I notice that they have 20 g of protein. How does that work?

Thanks
__________________


Fun in the Sun Summer Challenge

5.8 lost, 19.2 to go
ColoradoCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #279
IP start Aug 2012
 
lisa32989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 7,518

S/C/G: 260.2/186 /163

Height: 5'5"

Default

Repost of my previous post:

Here is the list I made again. I added the new flavors.

The Quest Coconut Cashew bars don't fit our IP profile for alts (or maybe you could call them Super-restricted and limit to once/week). They have too much fat. Take fat calories (60) multiply by 3 (no more than 1/3 calories from fat) and you can see that there are too many calories from fat in this bar. You'd want no more than 56 calories from fat to be less than 1/3
The other Quest Bars that don't work (based on fat content) or would be Super Restricted:
Vanilla Almond Crunch,
Mixed Berry Bliss,
Peanut Butter Supreme,
Peanut Butter & Jelly,
White Chocolate Raspberry,
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough


All of the other Quest bars would be restricted. There are two that fall right on the edge between restricted & non (Choc Peanut butter & Strawberry Cheesecake). Fat cals are under 1/3 (but not way under) and they both have 8 g net carbs. I still personally call them restricted, altho some use them as nonrestricted. Make your decisions carefully and determine what works based on WIs.

most IP products have 12-18g protein so I use 20 as my upper limit for 1 pk
__________________
Losing weight is hard. Maintenance is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard. (-Ishbel)

Last edited by lisa32989 : 01-16-2014 at 09:41 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:44 PM   #280
Senior Member
 
ColoradoCarol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Frederick Colorado (about 20 miles north of Denver)
Posts: 417

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default

Thanks Lisa. Hope you are feeling better
__________________


Fun in the Sun Summer Challenge

5.8 lost, 19.2 to go
ColoradoCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #281
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 36

S/C/G: 137/119/120

Default

Whole Foods sells the Quest bars for a lot cheaper than GNC. If you buy the box of 12, you get a discount too.
__________________
Maintenance since 8/26/13
Iolani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #282
Member
 
skinnybride2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 94

S/C/G: 166/ticker/120

Height: 5'5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Repost of my previous post:

Here is the list I made again. I added the new flavors.

The Quest Coconut Cashew bars don't fit our IP profile for alts (or maybe you could call them Super-restricted and limit to once/week). They have too much fat. Take fat calories (60) multiply by 3 (no more than 1/3 calories from fat) and you can see that there are too many calories from fat in this bar. You'd want no more than 56 calories from fat to be less than 1/3
The other Quest Bars that don't work (based on fat content) or would be Super Restricted:
Vanilla Almond Crunch,
Mixed Berry Bliss,
Peanut Butter Supreme,
Peanut Butter & Jelly,
White Chocolate Raspberry,
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough


All of the other Quest bars would be restricted. There are two that fall right on the edge between restricted & non (Choc Peanut butter & Strawberry Cheesecake). Fat cals are under 1/3 (but not way under) and they both have 8 g net carbs. I still personally call them restricted, altho some use them as nonrestricted. Make your decisions carefully and determine what works based on WIs.

most IP products have 12-18g protein so I use 20 as my upper limit for 1 pk

So, I ordered one of the 12 pack variety's yesterday, and I got to thinking about this post. I had been looking at the alternative cheat sheet, and for some reason I was thinking up to 200 calories, which would make the majority of the bars unrestricted. However, after reading the posts here, I'm going to side with making these restricted, and some super restricted. So the thought that I was kind of bouncing around last night, for those bars that are pretty off from normal IP bars, could I split those in half, and eat over the course of 2 days and consider that 1/2 piece as unrestricted. What I haven't worked out yet is if I did that, would that be too far under what a normal IP unrestricted packet would be, since I doubt I could have a 1/2 bar plus a packet.

What are your thoughts?

I'm mostly concerned because I think I knocked myself out of Ketosis since I was starving last night, and I may have misread a label or something.
__________________
skinnybride2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #283
Senior Member
 
ColoradoCarol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Frederick Colorado (about 20 miles north of Denver)
Posts: 417

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iolani View Post
Whole Foods sells the Quest bars for a lot cheaper than GNC. If you buy the box of 12, you get a discount too.
Thanks Iolani - I don't have a Whole Foods real close to me or my work - but there is a GNC right next door. I am just going to pick up a couple of them right now, to see if I like them. If I do then I will make sure to go to Whole Foods to buy a box.

Happy Friday!
__________________


Fun in the Sun Summer Challenge

5.8 lost, 19.2 to go
ColoradoCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #284
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,623

S/C/G: 289/180.5/150

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnybride2be View Post
So, I ordered one of the 12 pack variety's yesterday, and I got to thinking about this post. I had been looking at the alternative cheat sheet, and for some reason I was thinking up to 200 calories, which would make the majority of the bars unrestricted. However, after reading the posts here, I'm going to side with making these restricted, and some super restricted. So the thought that I was kind of bouncing around last night, for those bars that are pretty off from normal IP bars, could I split those in half, and eat over the course of 2 days and consider that 1/2 piece as unrestricted. What I haven't worked out yet is if I did that, would that be too far under what a normal IP unrestricted packet would be, since I doubt I could have a 1/2 bar plus a packet.

What are your thoughts?

I'm mostly concerned because I think I knocked myself out of Ketosis since I was starving last night, and I may have misread a label or something.
Non-restricted are mostly 80-150 calories and restricted are mostly 160-200.

You couldn't split it in half because then you wouldn't have enough protein.

I would stick with using the ones Lisa pointed out as your restricted for the day.
__________________
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:35 AM   #285
Member
 
skinnybride2be's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 94

S/C/G: 166/ticker/120

Height: 5'5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
Non-restricted are mostly 80-150 calories and restricted are mostly 160-200.

You couldn't split it in half because then you wouldn't have enough protein.

I would stick with using the ones Lisa pointed out as your restricted for the day.
Ok, guess the hubby is getting my extra bars. Lucky guy
__________________
skinnybride2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reached goal...been in maintenance...need a short reboot... anyone else? capricious Ideal Protein Diet 526 02-01-2013 11:25 AM
Alternative Discussions Here patns Ideal Protein Diet 500 09-09-2012 02:04 PM
IP Daily Chat Monday 07/16/12 rissimo Ideal Protein Diet 130 07-17-2012 03:57 AM
RECOMMENDED READING - Books, Articles & Links to Websites Debelli Sugar Shakers 63 08-14-2003 08:56 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:35 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2