Old 08-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #76  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

wow -that's awesome info! Thanks! I'm going to share this with my coach as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
I found Finns post, copied & linked below. I still prefer liquid sweet leaf.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4369722-post389.html

I saw someone post that we shouldnt use Truvia as a sweetener. According to my coaches and many other resources, thats not true. Here's the story and the science why its ok...(but still only use in moderation! I have never used more than 3 packets MAX per day, with 1 packet being average.)

When I looked on the Truvia box, it said that it contained 3 carbs. So why is that allowed? Here is the why...

One of the most frequently asked questions by carb conscious consumers is whether they should count the 3 grams of carbohydrate on the label. The answer is NO. Here's why…

The carbohydrate in Truvia® natural sweetener comes from erythritol – a natural sugar alcohol that is also found in grapes and pears – that also has zero calories. Erythritol passes through the body without being broken down for calories. As a result, it has no effect on blood sugar. Erythritol is used in Truvia® natural sweetener to evenly disperse rebiana to achieve uniform sweetness, similar to how dextrose and other suitable ingredients are used by other high intensity sweeteners to evenly disperse the sweetener.

Erythritol is a natural sugar alcohol that is different from other sugar alcohols in two ways.

1. Erythritol is not broken down by the body, so it cannot provide calories or affect blood sugar. Other sugar alcohols can be broken down by the body to varying degrees. This means that the body can use them for calories. Erythritol is different, it provides zero calories.

2. Erythritol has excellent gastrointestinal tolerance. This is because most of the erythritol that is consumed (up to 90%) is absorbed from the small intestine. Once it is absorbed, it is no longer available to cause problems in the gut.

"At www.TRUVIA.com our recipes include total calories, grams carbohydrate, grams erythritol, grams fiber, grams sugar. This practice allows you to subtract the grams of erythritol from the grams of total carbohydrate when you are count ing your grams of carbohydrate."
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

[QUOTE=scorbett1103;4440064]Truvia actually has 3 carbs per serving - and while it's naturally derived it's still a sugar carb. I have been told no Truvia while on Phase 1.

I was using Truvia at first, and switched to Stevia. My losses were really slow at first, but now I lose about 2 pounds per week, which is good for me. I am pretty close to goal.

So I stick to Stevia only, and even limit myself to 2 packets per day.
Delgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #78  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

I have BIG PLANS for Sweet Fauxtato Pie coming soon...Delgen inspired! I went to look for rutabaga at Kroger today and they were all gross - heading to the fancy Central Market where they have the best produce!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Just had to let you know that I made the zucchini lasagna recipe, with the Roasted Red Pepper tomato sauce - absolutely delicious! The only things I'd do differently next time would be to skip the Poblano peppers in the sauce (I'm a big wimp for spicy food but my husband LOVED it with 1 roasted poblano) and make it in an 8X8 deep pan so I could layer it up a little more! Will be making this one regularly!!
LOL - I should put a disclaimer that I am full blooded Tex-Mex, born and bred in San Antonio - I LOVE SPICY FOOD - so always take my spice level down a couple notches as needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Truvia actually has 3 carbs per serving - and while it's naturally derived it's still a sugar carb. I have been told no Truvia while on Phase 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgen View Post
I was using Truvia at first, and switched to Stevia. My losses were really slow at first, but now I lose about 2 pounds per week, which is good for me. I am pretty close to goal.

So I stick to Stevia only, and even limit myself to 2 packets per day.
I just saw these posts - the Truvia debate seems to come up every couple of weeks on the forum. I do avoid the packet sweeteners now when I can, I think technically with the 3 carbs Truvia really does not meet the 0-carb/0-fat/0-sugar rule on the Phase 1 sheet, even though it is "0-calories". But it seems since it comes from sugar alcohols that's something that is tricky - especially since some folks pass it through with no effect and others hold on to each tiny bit (like Delgen found out). Still sticking with my Liquid Sweetleaf Stevia!

Last edited by LizRR; 08-17-2012 at 11:29 PM.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #79  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Wow! This is an awesome thread! It came out when I was on vacation.

Thanks so much, Liz. I can't wait to try some of these recipes.
joysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #80  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
I have BIG PLANS for Sweet Fauxtato Pie coming soon...Delgen inspired! I went to look for rutabaga at Kroger today and they were all gross - heading to the fancy Central Market where they have the best produce!

!
Let us know what you think! I had some for lunch again today. I had 3 huge rutabagas, so I had a lot cooked. Yum!
Delgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:58 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 209/136/140 R:224.8/200/145

Height: 5' 5

Default Truvia

Thanks Liz for the detailed info..I printed it out and will re-read it tomorrow..my brain cannot absorb the science behind the rationale at this late hour (2am!)....Ive been avoiding using any artificial sugars for now, but there might come a time when I want to use some in a recipe.

RE: veggie smoothies, I'll work on getting the spinach and liquid more pulverized before adding the IP pudding, Thanks again for you help.
cscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #82  

S/C/G: restart: 212/196.4/150

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Default Oh, Li-iz! Yoohoo!

I have a recipe request! I know it's not a puree, but I thought I would put it here, with all things "Liz-y."

Can I have your recipe/methodology for your beef fajitas, pretty please? And the grilled onions? Every time you write that one out on the daily eats thread, I get hungry.

Thanks and xoxo!
ChaloJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 AM   #83  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaloJ View Post
I have a recipe request! I know it's not a puree, but I thought I would put it here, with all things "Liz-y."

Can I have your recipe/methodology for your beef fajitas, pretty please? And the grilled onions? Every time you write that one out on the daily eats thread, I get hungry.

Thanks and xoxo!
I get the beef fajitas at H-E-B Central Market, a TX grocery chain, vacuum sealed and ready to eat. Sorry no recipe there, i checked the label for sugar once and didnt see it, but they are sooooo good it always felt like a cheat to eat them. We always have them 1x/week. They are real skirt steak cuts and delish!

The green onions are easy, just cut off the bulb/root ends after a GOOD washing, spray with EVOO, sprinkle liberally with fajita seasoning (i live off Fiesta Spice Co Fajita Seasoning ) and grill ~2 minutes.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #84  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Great ideas, Liz! I lived on purees in my soup last winter. Haven't done as much over the summer, as I switched to spinach smoothies for lunch or fruit smoothies for a treat. It still amazes me how tasty you can make food, without tons of fat! Thanks for all your ideas !!!
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #85  

Default Sweet Fauxtato Pie

Ingredients:
2 cups Rutabaga
+2 Eggs + 2 Egg Whites
1/2 packet Knox Gelatin <--adds 12 calories, all from 3g protein (collagen)
2-4 tbsp Sweetener (Splenda/Stevia/WF Pancake Syrup/etc)
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
Optional: 1/2 cup unsweetened Almond Milk <--adds 15 calories, 1g fat/.5g carb/.5g protein

Directions:
1. Wrap Rutabaga in aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 375 degrees ~1.5 hours.
2. In mixing bowl, add Egg Whites only and sprinkle in Gelatin, allow to dissolve ~1 minute.
3. In blender/food processor, add cooked, peeled Rutabaga and optional Almond Milk (or water) - puree until VERY smooth ~2 minutes - allow to cool slightly.
4. In mixing bowl - add Rutabaga puree, Sweetener, Pumpkin Pie Spice, Vanilla, and Eggs to the Egg Whites & Gelatin - mix ingredients thoroughly. Taste and adjust Sweetener accordingly.
5. Pour mixture into ramekin and bake at 350 degrees for ~45 minutes, until custard is set (doesn't 'jiggle in the middle' when you shake it).
6. Remove from oven, allow to cool - additional chilling will help it set, in the fridge/freezer ~30 minutes.

*This was awesome - it turned into a great custard, dessert.
+The new Phase 1 Sheet dated 6/12/2012 now lists 4 Eggs + 2 Egg Whites as an appropriate 8oz protein replacement, so adjust accordingly: http://www.idealtogo.com/Library/Fase%201%20-%20ITG.pdf *This counts as your daily protein + 2c veggies
*Several methods to cook rutabaga, choose your favorite/most convenient: slow cooker, peeled/cubed/baked in the oven, peeled/cubed/boiled until tender, etc. Baking in the oven wrapped in foil ~1.5 hours @ 350 degrees or in the slow cooker will result in 'sweeter' rutabaga.
*Make sure your rutabaga puree is cooled slightly before adding to Eggs to prevent 'pre-cooking' (turning out egg chunks)

Last edited by LizRR; 09-17-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #86  
Started IP April 19, 2012

S/C/G: 224/see ticker/145

Height: 5'7"

I love it all! If Rainbow doesn't marry you, I will!
jcjnjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #87  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Liz: Are you getting these recipes from places or just making them up? If you're just a good cook, maybe a cookbook should be in your future plans. These all sound great! Thanks for sharing!

(This from the girl who has burnt the zuchinni chips twice today....LOL... got any advice on THOSE babies??)
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:46 AM   #88  
Holding on TIGHT

S/C/G: 225/195.4/166.2/135

Height: 5'1

Liz, what an outstanding idea for the pizza crusts...I don't have any soup packets anymore, but here's a reason to get some, THANK YOU for your WONDERFUL ideas...I appreciate it!! (I used to be able to mulitple quote but obviously I keep doing something wrong here...thanks to all for all your ideas and info...
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #89  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjnjj View Post
I love it all! If Rainbow doesn't marry you, I will!
ahem.....liz IS taken!!!

rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #90  

Default IP Dessert Pizza

Ingredients:
Crust:
IP Chocolate or Vanilla Drink Mix
1 Egg White
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tbsp Coconut Oil
1 tsp Sweetener
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract

Sauce:
Rhubarb Jam: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4431623-post29.html

Toppings:
Zucchini
Lemon Juice
1/2 tsp Apple Pie Spice
1 tsp Sweetener
WF Caramel Sauce

Directions:
Make Crust:
1. Mix all crust ingredients together, spread thin on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350 degrees ~30 minutes.

Make Topping:
1. While your crust is baking, thinly slice Zucchini (1/16" to 1/8") and place in microwave safe baking dish.
2. Microwave Zucchini in Lemon Juice ~2 minutes
2. Sprinkle with Apple Pie Spice and Sweetener
3. Bake along with your crust at 350 degrees ~15-30 minutes (longer cook time = more tender topping)

Assembly:
1. Spread Rhubarb Jam over your crust, top with Mock Zucchini Apples, drizzle with WF Caramel Sauce.

Last edited by LizRR; 08-24-2012 at 03:36 PM.