Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #46  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockyemom View Post
So, here I am sitting in the staff room at a school where I work surrounded by chips and jujubes (one of my weaknesses!). And the thoughts going through my head are "maybe if I just lick one jujube" or "maybe I could just put my teeth in it and not actually eat it" :-) But I'm NOT doing any of that, just resisting.

"Be strong" I have to tell myself. I can do this!!!
Be strong! Last night without even thinking about it, I grabbed a bite of macaroni. As soon as I put it in my mouth I could taste the butter and was like what am i doing?? I spit it out, but felt guilty all night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebs grandma View Post
Please let me know how the WF peanut butter and fruit spreads taste! I have been hesitant to buy them. But I could really use a little peanut butter!
The WF PB is as bad as everyone says! I bought some for celery but use it very very sparingly... it's not like PB at all!! I still use it, but not much.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #47  

Hi all. I'm new to this forum/3 fat chicks on a diet and just started IP about a week and a half ago.

In the first week I lost 4.2 lbs and am worried that this week won't go as well, although I have yet to cheat.

I think the part that stumps me the most, is clearly I'm eating less/consuming less calories then I was before I started IP, so even if I slip up here or there how do I not still lose weight? Of course, once in ketosis you feel better and the cravings may be less so and the weight may dissappear faster...but I imagine it would still be possible to lose weight even with a cheat here or there, no?
Old 11-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #48  
Started IP 6/23/10

S/C/G: 236.6/193/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJackson View Post
I REALLY like the WF caramel syrup. Tastes awesome in coffee. The chocolate is just as good in coffee and I like that in the early evening as my treat.
My BF and I tried the WF carmel syrup in our coffee one evening. OMG! Our stomachs churned and churned. It was awful! They only thing I can see in the ingrediants that is different from the other flavors is lactic acid. I've been doing some research and I haven't found anything very specific yet. But it may have been because we are both lactose intolerant. Lactic acid being a derivitive of lactase may have cause the problem. It was not fun. So buyer beware. If latose intolerate you may have a little problem with this WF product. Of course his sister has no problems with and and dumps it in everything.

Last edited by natchamp; 11-02-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #49  
maintaining as of 6/1/11!

S/C/G: 213.2/143/145

Height: 5'2" - size 2-4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot1227 View Post
I think the part that stumps me the most, is clearly I'm eating less/consuming less calories then I was before I started IP, so even if I slip up here or there how do I not still lose weight? Of course, once in ketosis you feel better and the cravings may be less so and the weight may dissappear faster...but I imagine it would still be possible to lose weight even with a cheat here or there, no?
I was thinking the same thing the other day. We are essentially on what many would consider a starvation diet (700-1000 calories), even though I'm certainly not starving! As long as the calories that your body burns are greater than the amount that you put into your body, you WILL lose weight. However, being in ketosis means that you are burning fat. In other starvation diets (or disorders like anorexia), your body burns muscle first and holds onto the fat last. We certainly don't want to hold onto the fat! Your body can more effectively burn fat when you don't cheat. At least, this is the way I understand it!
Old 11-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #50  
Started IP 6/23/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebs grandma View Post
Please let me know how the WF peanut butter and fruit spreads taste! I have been hesitant to buy them. But I could really use a little peanut butter!
Fruit spreads are great. The peanut butter tastes okay, but is not the texture of peanut butter. It's more like the texture of very thick jello pudding.

Last edited by natchamp; 11-02-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #51  
Started IP 6/23/10

Quote:
Even though we are eating fewer calories the process of ketosis forces the body to use glycogen stores (fat) so that we lose the weight. Cheating keeps us out of ketosis so that we are no longer feeding off our own fat researves. Thus you may lose some weight because of fewer calorier, but you will not lose weight at the optimum level. Cheating could also cause the body to take that little bit of sugar consumed and store it. Rather we want to starve the body of sugars in order to consume our existing reserves.

One should read the online book from Dr. Tran, founder of the diet at www.trantiendiet.com. This will help you fully understand the science of the diet. Especially if your coach is not communicating with you about the science of how the diet works.

Last edited by natchamp; 11-02-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #52  
09/15/10

S/C/G: 246.8/161.4/156

Height: 5'4 1/2

I am so excited I have lost 26lbs now, which puts me at a wieght that I have not been in for a 10yrs.

NSV- I wanted to be in the same weight range I was in the first year of my mariage and I have made it. Yeah for me.

Thanks to all of you for support and advise
Old 11-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 184/145/135

Height: 5"5

Thanks for all the love guys

I was curious about a few of the new IP protocols....Carla...you may be able to hook me up here... Are former restricteds now allowed in the first week, or is it still 3 weeks in before you can have them 2x a week. I checked through the stickies, but the old protocol sheets are still up there from Jordanna.
Also, can I really have raw green pepper anytime??? No longer an occasional?

As a side note about those JuJubes Hockyemom In my very first weeks I may have been seen desperately sniffing homemade buns in my kitchen....I just shut the blinds now
Old 11-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #54  
Dave - The Speedo King

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
I was thinking the same thing the other day. We are essentially on what many would consider a starvation diet (700-1000 calories), even though I'm certainly not starving! As long as the calories that your body burns are greater than the amount that you put into your body, you WILL lose weight. However, being in ketosis means that you are burning fat. In other starvation diets (or disorders like anorexia), your body burns muscle first and holds onto the fat last. We certainly don't want to hold onto the fat! Your body can more effectively burn fat when you don't cheat. At least, this is the way I understand it!
The process of repeatedly going in and out of ketosis is risky at best. We've all felt the joy of the first 3-4 days as your body is transitioning. When you're no longer in ketosis due to a cheat, your body stores glycogen. For every gram of glycogen stored, your body also retains 3-4 grams of water in order to use the stored glycogen. When you don't consume enough calories to fuel your body, it depletes the glycogen stores first (and the water stores that it's retained to use with the glycogen). This explains why most people gain a few pounds after eating enough carbs to come out of ketosis, and why those pounds disappear rather quickly after re-entering ketosis.

When you're in ketosis, your body is using stored fat as fuel, since you're not consuming enough carbs for the body to store glycogen. Therefore, a cheat "here or there" is a highly inefficient and costly way to go about losing weight on IP. Of course, it's an individual choice as to how one goes about losing weight, but if the need for a cheat outweighs the need to lose weight, there are programs available more suited to that style of loss than Ideal Protein would be. Of course, one of the keys of IP is that we're retraining the pancreas as a part of the protocol. An occasional cheat interferes with that process as well, not to mention that some people have a difficult time getting back into ketosis following a cheat.

Last edited by salesgod; 11-02-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #55  

S/C/G: Restart: 233/ 214/ 170

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockyemom View Post
So, here I am sitting in the staff room at a school where I work surrounded by chips and jujubes (one of my weaknesses!). And the thoughts going through my head are "maybe if I just lick one jujube" or "maybe I could just put my teeth in it and not actually eat it" :-) But I'm NOT doing any of that, just resisting.

"Be strong" I have to tell myself. I can do this!!!
I find that I can say no to cheating pretty well, but once I give in its like the floodgates are open. I can have a bag of candy and never touch it for weeks but once its open discipline suffers greatly! Just leave the Jujubees alone. I try to ask myself when tempted. Do I really want to cheat on my diet and set myself back 3 days for THAT? Why cheat on something that's just so so - like frozen pizza or box cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginBAM View Post
I am so excited I have lost 26lbs now, which puts me at a wieght that I have not been in for a 10yrs.

NSV- I wanted to be in the same weight range I was in the first year of my mariage and I have made it. Yeah for me.

Thanks to all of you for support and advise
YAY!! Way to go!
Old 11-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #56  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ButterflyKisses View Post
The WF PB is as bad as everyone says! I bought some for celery but use it very very sparingly... it's not like PB at all!! I still use it, but not much.
Try using the WF barbeque sauce as a dip for celery. Or blue cheese.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #57  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesgod View Post
The process of repeatedly going in and out of ketosis is risky at best.
Gosh, you're getting so close. I hope you'll still stick around for a while because your observations are so keen.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 226/172/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figgypudding View Post

I've read a lot of your posts and recipes and I'm wondering if maybe I'm a lot more sensitive to carbs and sugar alcohol than some of you. For one thing, I didn't lose weight on 2 years of the Atkins diet. Whenever I have an Atkins candy bar on the IP program my weight loss stalls even though it was only like 2 net carbs. I've also noticed that the IP program nutrition labels don't say anything about "net carbs." I wonder if they don't factor in the sugar alcohol or fiber in the carb allotment. Which is probably just as good since my body seems to not be on board with the whole subtracting principle anyway. what do you think?
I've read online that certain sugar alcohols can affect blood sugar the same way regular sugar does, this may be true for you. I would try going without them and see if that helps with the stalls.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 183/141/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Diettrich View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by natchamp View Post
One should read the online book from Dr. Tran, founder of the diet at www.trantiendiet.com. This will help you fully understand the science of the diet. Especially if your coach is not communicating with you about the science of how the diet works.
Thanks as always, Salesgod, for your clear, concise thoughts. I also seem to remember some time back that someone actually figured out the costs in money of going out of ketosis, then "wasting" several days going back in. If I remember correctly it was around $40.00 which is also another good deterrent! Natchamp is right--please read the book download on the link she gave. It isn't a long book, but explains the physiology so that you will understand why "cheating" is just not appropriate in most cases on this diet.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #60  
Started IP May 25,2010

S/C/G: 175/118/120

Height: 5' 1"

Good afternoon all,
Welcome to all of the new comers. I have been on IP for 5 months, weight loss has been slower than I wanted, but results have been worth the time and wait and all of the effort. I am very pleased and exited with my body shape. I can see my figure again. I know all of you will be pleased with yourself when you can begin to see the big changes in your body. Let's not ever let our bodies get back in that fat, out of proportion, unhealthy shape again. o.k.?
A special thanks to Amylew and I'm Svelting for responding to my request for the recipe " Big Mac in a Bowl" As soon as I send this post I am going to fix it for our supper. If anyone wants this recipe it is on Wed. Oct. 27 page 6 post #88. Catch you guys later.
P.S. Today I decided to go back to my original avatar. I changed from the prissy chick to the snowman because some one else started using the chick. If I feel like you guys are getting me mixed up with someone else I'll make another change. Judy
Closed Thread