General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #241  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Dm77 - Welcome! So glad you've found 16:8 and are enjoying it so much thus far! Ahh the energy is great, isn't it? Regarding your protein powder, I would try it and see if you have any noticeable negative side effects (for example, some artificial sweeteners wreak havoc on my tummy). If none, then I would use it until its gone and then switch. But that's just my opinion as I don't like wasting stuff! Hope you'll stick around and continue sharing your story.

ShaMac - I'm back down to 2 fast days/week. I was doing 3 for a while but it was counter productive. Usually Mondays and Thursdays.

lightenup - Hmm the coffee substitute sounds interesting! I'm not concerned about my coffee intake and I do love it, but it may be worth trying as the ingredients sound incredibly healthy. As for low carbs, I definitely try not to eat any refined carbs (bread, pasta) on fast days and limit it the rest of the time but I don't count. If I'm making something like rice or pasta on a nonfast day, I'll usually mix veggies into it (zoodles if it's pasta, broccoli slaw if it's rice). That way the SO doesn't have to suffer, and I can still get a taste of it without going overboard. How much carbs are you aiming for now?

So far so good this week. One fast day down, one to go. I've learned its impossible to go on a run the morning after a fast day (no energy!), so I'm reworking my routine a bit. I think I'm going to start adding HIIT into my running routine to see if it helps speed up my weight loss.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #242  

S/C/G: 74.8kg/72.8kg/65kg

nonameslob - Thank you! Yeah, that's what I thought. And to offset the possible insulin/blood sugar spike, I'll add cinnamon to my shake. I'll definitely drop by now and then to report my result.

So far, not much to report other than that I'm getting more creative with cauliflower to replace my usual carb intake. We'll see.

I'm glad it's working well for you so far. It never hurts to experiment around. I've been experimenting with HILT and found it to be better if I do it 2 times a week, so if needed, I have room for strength training and "active rest" days. Heck,sometimes I feel like going on a long walk for a change. I'm trying to learn how to listen to my body better anyways. Let's hope it's for a good cause!
I'm looking forward to hear yours (and everyone else as well!)
Dm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:01 PM   #243  

S/C/G: 203/197/145

lightenup, that coffee sub does sound interesting, I will have to look into that. As for your question about low carbs, I am curretnly doing the Primal WOE, the LCHF component of it. I try to stay in ketosis by sticking to under 50 carbs. I am also in the process of cutting my sugar as I am an addict and even find sugar substitutes a problem for me.

Noname, I agree those 3 days a week fast can be really hard. I know I wasnt every able to stick to them for more than two weeks, without a full on binge following.

DM77, when I first went low carb I also felt really weak and tired. I did my research and found that it was a common side effect of a severly reduced carb diet, but I got past it. Im not going to lie and say that it was easy, I almost gave up several times. My carb flu lasted for about 4 weeks. Good luck on this WOE!

Monday was my first fast day, and it seems to have went by pretty easy, although I thinkg I may have went over 500 cals a little bit. I probably landed somewhere around 600, not too bad since Im just getting back in the sattle. Today is my second 500 cal fast day for the week, so far all is well.
ShaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:32 PM   #244  
16/8

S/C/G: 153/151.8/133

Height: 5'6"

Shamac--sorry, I totally blanked out--you already stated you were doing low-carb! I just looked up LCHF to see what that is. Sounds interesting, but I don't know if I could do it for long. Does it seem to work? Do you have to stay on that indefinitely, or do you eventually add more carbs?

I was thinking I might try getting under 50g, but I have yet to actually write anything down to see what my normal amount is. Calories I'm very familiar with, carbs, not so much. I suspect I'm getting a good bit more than 50g even in the past couple of days of making a point to cut back. Today I had a banana, corn taco shells, and some black beans, so I'm pretty sure that would put me over. But I'm curious to figure that out. I know I could not sustain anything less than 50-100 for very long just due to my family's (husband's!) diet, and because I really don't want to cut out some of the foods, like bananas and beans. But I can pretty easily cut out bread, chips, etc, for most of the time, anyway.

Noname--I think "zoodles" are noodles made from zucchini? I could try that, but my husband probably would not. Do you just mix them into your regular pasta, and your SO just has the pasta? Honestly, I think I could avoid pasta altogether, but I do love pesto sauce and tomato sauce. Sometimes I just put the pesto right on my salad!

Dm77--I hate to say it but I would avoid the aspartame if possible. Is it something that can be returned (I forgot if you said that already)?

16/8 is still working for me--I lost 1/2 lb from yesterday to today, which is the first loss I've seen in months! I've also been pretty full, probably due to eating more protein and less carbs than before. If I could keep doing what I'm doing and lose weight, that would be great! I do enjoy being able to eat at 2 or 2:30pm rather than 5 like I was with Fast 5, I just have to watch how much I eat since the window is longer now.
lightenup2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:34 PM   #245  
16/8

Dm77--Sorry, I said aspartame, but you said it's sucrulose. I avoid all of the artificial sweeteners, so I guess I would still avoid it myself. I bought a whey protein a couple of months ago and just started using it again in smoothies. Now I'm curious if it has a sweetener in it!
Old 05-07-2015, 02:49 AM   #246  

ShaMac - thanks. Yup, it's good to know that I'm not only one with carb issue. Not sure if I can last 4 weeks not being able to function; however, fasting seemingly speeds the process up and make it bearable so we'll see what happen. Maybe gradually tapering off from carb is the best way to go for me? Good job with your calories intake, I don't think I'll ever meet 600 calories level on the fasting day hence 16:8. I know, I'm lazy!

lightenup2014 - I did try to avoid artificial sweetners, I no longer have sweet tooth due to my clean diet over the years, but I guess I failed there. My friend had the same whey protein with vanilla flavor and he didn't have any artifical sweetner added so I guess it was a recent change. Furthermore, I don't think I can return it because it is already open. I only learned that it had surcalose when I tasted it and found it sweet... so I think I'll just finish this bottle then move to stevia version which I think is most healthy alternative. I do use stevia anyways in some deserts on really rare occassions, like on holidays. I'm glad that 16:8 is working for you! Keep it up!

Also wanted to say I finally sleep better last 2 nights after having troubles for a week due to fasting. I hope it'll keep up because I do love my sleep! I also wonder if being cold issue will improve? I can't see myself keeping the fasting up in the winter if I'm still that cold now in the spring. :S But again, my TOM is due in a week and that can make me colder than usual. *shrug*

Last edited by Dm77; 05-07-2015 at 02:51 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:16 AM   #247  
Call me NNS!

lightenup - I don't change my bf's meals at all. I just take out his serving, and then I have a smaller serving of carbs mixed with zoodles (yes, zucchini noodles) or whatever else. Or sometimes I'll have all zoodles, no pasta. It can be a pain to kind of make different meals, but ya gotta do whatcha gotta do...

Fast #2 of the week today. Running on coffee right now! Salmon for dinner
Old 05-07-2015, 09:38 AM   #248  

S/C/G: 203/197/145

Lightenup, I can honestly say I do feel like it works. This is supposed to be a lifestyle change for me, although I do plan to increase my carbs to about 150 daily when I go into maintenance. If you are looking for pasta swaps, zoodles and spaghetti squash works pretty well. The Zoodles have a very mild taste, and the spaghetti squash tend to give off a slightly sweeter taste. I like both though.

DM77 500 cal days are kind of difficult, especially when first starting out. I think it is a good idea to decrease your carbs slowly. I went ahead and took the full plunge because my carb/sweets addition was taking over.

I'm glad 16/8 is working for you guys; I also am doing 16/8 on non 500 cal days. I just hope I don’t burn myself out too quickly before I make my goal weight. I still struggle with cheat days even though eating carbs in a large amount makes me sick now; I still have to force myself to be complaint. I cheated over the weekend, and on Monday I was not able to function due to stomach cramps. I am detremine to get it right though.
ShaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:03 PM   #249  
Jer
Began 8/11/17

S/C/G: 187.8/ticker/148

Height: 5'7"

Hello!

I'm going to do IF for a little while. I've done it at different times through the years, with good success, and think it will help to move my weight a little again.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:12 AM   #250  
16/8

Noname--how did your fast go yesterday?

Jer--What type of IF are you doing?

I had another 1/2 lb loss this morning--finally moving in the right direction! Sometimes I thought I'd never be back here. You know how you just have to get your mind back into the right frame of mind to lose weight? I have to have something that just clicks, and then I get back on track. I just wish I could figure out how to not go back up again! Maintenance isn't easy, especially when stress kicks in! But I'll enjoy the losses for now, and try to only make changes that I feel are sustainable. 16/8 is still working, along with what I'll call "watching my carbs"--I know I'm probably over 100g, but it's got to be less than before.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #251  
Call me NNS!

Fast was fine, no new low this week though but my average weight is down.

I am so low energy today. Muscles feel weak and I'm super fatigued. Ugh. Hope it's just a temporary thing. I ate breakfast over an hour ago and no change. Maybe lunch will help..
Old 05-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #252  

Cool

ShaMac - oh I believe you! It's already hard for me to count calories, so I can't imagine myself with 500 cal days. As long it works for you, it's magnificent!

Jer - like lightenup2014, I would love to know what type of IF you are doing. In meantime, best luck with your IF journey!

lightenup2014 - Congrats on your 1/2 lbs loss! I'm already nervous about maintenance and I'm not even there yet. I've heard how it's harder than losing weight. I know I've failed too often in my past. As long as you're making a conscious effort on watching your carbs, I believe you're doing great.

nonameslob - I know that feeling. I actually had the same today, but I suspect it is because I overdid it yesterday. I was so full of energy that I pretty much worked out hard and deep cleaned my house for spring (trust me I never did that before, always lacked some energy for it!) Anyways, I forced myself to warm up and wanted to do HILT, but right away realized I couldn't do it so I ended up doing moderate walking instead. Better than nothing I guess. Anyways, I hope it passes soon for you and that you're feeling better now. Congrats on your average weight, it's still a good progress!

My update: Tirrrred due to my over-energy mode yesterday, but I'm still doing great on 16:8 IF. Apparently, I made my new low this week: 72.6kg (my previous low was 72.8kg few days ago). That's about .4 lbs lighter. Not much I know, but I'm impressed. IF makes it seems very effortless and I can have heartily meals which is a bonus! I also noticed my skin is improving. It used to be super dry and itchy, but now it's reducing. I actually forgot I had that condition until few days ago, I was like, wait a min!? Cool eh? Gotta love the benefits of IF! I also sleep great again. It seems like my body needed one week to get used to it. Just so you new IFers know!
Old 05-08-2015, 06:52 PM   #253  
Jer
Began 8/11/17

S/C/G: 187.8/ticker/148

Height: 5'7"

lightenup2014 and Dm77 Thanks for asking about what I'll be doing. I'm planning to do 2, sometimes 3, days a week of eating 400-600 calories, and the rest of the days eating healthfully, with a dessert maybe once a week. I'm also doing some ballet-type exercises and using a weight for a few exercises. Congratulations to you both on your weight moving down (and on the new low, DM77)!

I've eaten low calorie yesterday and today, and I'd forgotten how much more energetic I often feel when I'm either on a fast day or on the day following it! I have been willingly and eagerly doing physical activity that I usually would feel like I'd rather not do! You ladies have talked about this. It is definitely a big plus to this type of diet!

I look forward to reading your posts about your continued success!
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:44 AM   #254  
Lee-anne

S/C/G: 165/135/110

Height: 1.58cm

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie to fasting. For a few days now I was too busy to eat breakfast and then I noticed I may not need it as much as I thought I did. And I remembered reading about 16:8, which is basically what I'm going to be doing (or already doing).

I'm 22, female and I have about 20lb to lose. I'm trying to get myself as far away as possible from counting calories, that was the method I used for losing the first 40lb, but it's just much too obsessive and it takes over my damn brain! Fasting is much more effortless and requires little thinking.

Hoping for the best.
LeeAnne0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:26 AM   #255  

Talking

Jer - ah that sounds like a good plan. Best luck, just be sure not to overdo it when your body isn't used to it. Balance is the key so you won't overeat too much to compensate. That extra energy is cool eh? I absolutely love it!

LeeAnne0012 - Hi! It seems like you're already doing it naturally so I think the transition for you will be smooth. I too have a goal of losing 20 lbs. Already lost few. Anyways, big congratulations on losing first 40lbs!!! That's a great progress! Of course, easier is better! I sincerely wish you the best journey with IF and that you will see the results in the end!

Me... here's my update: I ate slightly more lately and somehow got to my new low! Yes, I admit it, I am daily weighter. I can't help it! Anyways, I'm down to 72.2kg from 72.6kg few days ago Kinda weird because I'm suppposed to have TOM soon and at that time, I usually gain weight due to water retention plus usually I'm even more hungry. Either way, I am happy! I just hope fasting won't be too troublesome on TOM. If it is, I'll take a few days break from it. We'll see. I'm not going to work out today - pulled my back muscles the wrong way last night. So I gotta take it easy. Oh yeah, whey protein seems to help regulate my hunger, so I think it's a good supplement to take in between lunch and dinner window. Just so you know.