Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 11:03 PM   #61  

Yesterday my 6 year old wanted to run w/ me so we simply ran around the little block we live on. It took all of about 5 minutes but hey I went!
Old 09-13-2003, 01:12 PM   #62  

Location: where the weather changes every 15 minutes-- Michigan

Thumbs down motivation

Hey Lynne, great motivational information.. thank you.. Also for the music post, was beginning to think I was nuts oooooooo.. well maybe but still.

I did run without my music the other night and actually did somewhat better.. who knows!! lifes a guessing game isnt it, sometimes anyway.

Ladaha, yeah chasing your 6 year old around the block is good. I chased my daughter a few weekends ago in the park at the beach, didnt even get winded.. WOW, I remember when I wouldnt have even gotten off my lazy carcazz to play with her. She was giggling her lil butt off too, she thought it was great and I felt good, not just to be able to chase her but to actually be interacting with her and having fun.. Life is short.

well I came to get my motivation to run today.. Thanks ladies.. I have it and will check back in later.. you all have a great weekend.
tie those shoes up and get going..

cya soon.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:31 PM   #63  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Hi. Thanks for the information about the treadmill! Last night I walked / ran for 2 miles. I had the treadmill set on 4%. Tonight I'm going to set it on 3% and see if I can do better mentally!

I miss being outside. I miss seeing THAT stopsign come and go! I miss the breeze and I even miss that darn dog! I will get out there again... In the meantime, I'm hoping that the treadmill running will help! My 8 year old suggested that I run in the dark with one of those flashlights that straps to your head! What a vision THAT would be!

Keep it up, girls! You are all doing GREAT! I'm heading to the treamill right now! I'm strong and I'm a runner! The other thing that I keep saying over and over...remember I teach first grade... I hear over and over in my head..."I think I can! I think I can!"
I'm off to get those shoes on and tear up my treadmill!

Will check in again this weekend!
til then...take care!
Robyn
Old 09-14-2003, 03:25 PM   #64  

Robyn said:

> I hear over and over in my head..."I think I can! I think I can!"

I *love* this!! That's a perfect mantra for when I'm trying to get in that zone where I forget that something hurts or I'm tired.

I did 14 miles in the rain. My training schedule (affectionately known as "The Plan") had me doing a half marathon today, but there were none near home and the travel budget is spoken for for the year. So I did 14 as fast as I could. Granted, I didn't have the adrenaline rush of racing against others or having cheering crowds around...but let's just say I'm downgrading my finish time goal.

Hope you got in a run today!

Lynne
lynned.pitas.com
Old 09-17-2003, 07:43 PM   #65  

Default where are the runners??

Hey gang.. Just wondering where you all are. I decided to take today off maybe.. Its still light out. I'm planning on doing an upper body work out (weights) instead of running today.

?? for you guys--- do you run every day? Just not sure if I should

Lynne.. WOW 14 miles sounds like an eternity.. You are amazing..

hope you are all lacing up the shoes and running !!
Old 09-18-2003, 09:05 AM   #66  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Hey ya'll....just checking in. Treadmill has been put away for a while. We need all of the living room until the storm blows by.
We live an hour north (and on the coast!) from VaBch. Things are getting scary! The hurricane is still offshore of N.C. and we already have rain and wind (tropical storm) 3 hours North. We've been thru these storms before....BUT this one is BIGGGG! We're nervous, scared and on edge!

I'm going to pull out one of my Firm tapes for my exercise today.... if I can get the tv off of the weather channel... AND if we still have power! WELL, I did say I missed the way the "breeze" of real running outside.. ....lets hope the wind stays outside.

Enough panic for now! Things will be just fine, I'm sure!
Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. I'll check in again when I can. (Our FAVORITE VACATION spot... Buxton / Hatteras (my nick!) NC is going to get it hard today

oh yeah, I said I was done..... take care.... RUN to that stopsign for me!

Robyn
Old 09-22-2003, 08:34 PM   #67  

Hi Robyn.. I thought of you every time I ran to a stop sign today.. There were 4 on my run tonight. I went around the block (country block) forget how far it is.. Will check with my odometer.
few miles.
Hope you are all fairing well down there, been thinking of you.

where did the rest of you go???

Lynne, I am understanding what you mean about running being mental.. WOW, sometimes when I just look ahead and pic a spot to keep running to it works.. Gettin better at it too.. Thought of you tonight also, just told myself someday I will do 14 miles just like Lynne and itll feel great.. thanks for the motivation..

hope you are all well. take care. be back soon..
Old 09-23-2003, 12:55 AM   #68  

Hello everyone!

I am new to the board and semi-new to running. I actually started last November... my friend was training for a marathon and introduced me to Jeff Galloway and the walk/run ratio. I was NEVER a runner before that. My IT band gave me problems in January so I took a break until March, when it seemed to be healed. I started training, ran some races, and did the Danskin Triathlon in June.

I was doing really well, able to do 6/7 miles trail running, so I signed up to train for the Honolulu marathon with the national AIDS foundation. We got to 9 miles and my IT band once again became inflamed. I went to a physical therapist who told me I have a great many muscle imbalances to correct. It broke my heart, but I had to give up the marathon training.

So, in a wave of self-pity and frustration, I pretty much quit any exercise for a few months. It didn't help that my best friend and training partner moved to Colorado! But now I'm on track and I'm trying to get back into running, slowly. I know it's going to be oh-so-hard!

I'm curious to know if there are any other people here who have done or want to do a triathlon, or if anyone uses swimming or biking as cross training for running.

Looking forward to participating...

~Rojo
Old 09-23-2003, 09:45 PM   #69  

welcome Rojo.. I'm just new to running so no marathons, havent even thought about anything that amitious yet. My main goal is weight loss and to be able to run a solid 3 miles.

Sorry to hear about the injury, sure hope things heal well for you. I'm curious, have you been instructed on how to correct some of the imbalances. We all probably have some deficits that could or should be addressed that we are not even aware of.

I'm sure you will run in that marathon someday, maybe next year even. Keep your chin up, put a smile on that face, I know you can do it!

Your post was inspirational to me! hope to see you around a lot.
keep us posted on your progress with that IT band
Old 09-24-2003, 02:24 PM   #70  

Hi All - Thought I'd jump in... Did the Danskin Triathlon in July and have signed on to do a half Marathon October 19th. Scared to death... I am a SLOW runner... 12-13 min miles. I really am running, although most could pass me walking.... In any case, of those of you who have done the Marathon or other long distance - Will I be the last to finish? Are there typically walkers at these races? I know I'll have no problem completing the distance - I am running 8 miles now --- BUT I am afraid that they will roll up the course and shut down the clocks before I'm done... Should I even care????

Absmom ---

FYI - Mom of 2/Running for health and weight loss-- still have about 40 to go.... Definately in the Clydesdale class or I guess they call us "fillies?!"

PS - LYNNE D. You are truly inspiring --- GO GO GO!!!!
Old 09-24-2003, 02:30 PM   #71  
Made my Goal weight!

Angry Ladaha

Hi there...
Congrats on your venture to the world of running.
I had a baby 7 weeks ago and have now been running for about 5 weeks now. WOW! What a difference. Not only in my weight, but my endurance and not to mention my running speed. I have found running is the BEST way to bounce into shape for me. The best part about running is that there is little or no excuses a person can have for NOT doing it. (maybe, weather like snow is a good excuse)
At this point I have worked my butt off and can now run 4.4 km. Yet, my goal is for 10 km by next May.
I know how hard running is, and how much work it takes, I definitely admire anyone willing to take it on. Good luck to you, I know it will go well for you.

Leanne
Highest weight 222 lbs (9 months pregnant)
Present weight 186 7.5 weeks after baby
Goal Weight 150 (by December 1st)
Personal goal weight 130
Old 09-25-2003, 12:48 AM   #72  

Absmom...

How did you like the Danskin? Where did you do it?

As far as being a slow runner, I don't think it's a problem. In the first 5k I did, I got passed by a speed walker! Everyone I've ever met at a race has been really nice and supportive and encouraging, no matter what your speed. Most races do post how long the course is open, if you're really worried about them shutting down. But most of the marathons I've ever read about welcome walkers. (Besides the ones you have to qualify for, of course!) Besides, I don't run continuously... at my peak I was using a 5:1 ratio.
Congratulations on setting such an ambitious goal!

Dana... I've got a lot of weird stuff going on. I'm not sure how much you really want to know... My right leg is much stronger than my left. My quads are MUCH stronger than my hamstrings (more than usual). My vastus medialis (inner part of the quad) is much weaker than the rest. My gluteous medius (inner butt) is almost non-existant. The ligaments in my knees are loose. All this adds up to my IT band trying to keep my leg in position with no help from the muscles. I'd been making it worse by doing weighted squats while letting my hips drop to one side. To correct the problems, I have a circuit of exercises to do which are very small, specific movements. The kinds of things that look really easy but are killers!! Wall squats are one of them. I also need to be sure to stretch at least twice a day. I hate doing it. Sigh.

I'm going to try a 30 minute jog this weekend... we'll see how it goes. My IT is a bit sore from spinning but I'm icing so we'll see!
Old 09-25-2003, 09:04 AM   #73  

Hi everyone and welcome to the new folks, too!

I'm glad to hear there are many multisports types on the board, too. I'm not really into triathlon, but I do bicycle, lift, walk, hike and trail run. I'm thinking about entering an adventure race in December (if my potential teammate is still in, I'm in!)

In terms of endurance, it's similar to triathlon, so I'd love to hear tips and tricks from all of you Danskin women! You are SO inspiring!!

Absmom: I'm S L O W, too!!

Do NOT worry about where you'll finish!! First of all, there is no shame in being last. Before I start a race, I always tell my kids "I'll be the old lady being followed by the cop car." It's never happened...I've never been last...but I'm always open to the possibility. Because the fact is, the last runner is as much of a finisher as the first runner.

Also, even though you're training at 12-13 min miles, the adrenaline rush of race day will probably push you a bit harder than you usually go.

You're going to do GREAT!! Enjoy it!!

Rojo: Wall squats ARE hard! Keep on the road to recovery, can't wait to read about your next tri!

Leanne! Congrats on the baby and WOW on getting back into running so quickly! You GO!

Robyn: Are you out there? Did the hurricaine affect you?

Hi Dana, Hi Ladaha! Everyone checking in?

I'm in my taper for Chicago now. My last truly long run was last Sunday at 18 miles. This weekend, 13, next weekend, 9 and then the big day. Only 17 more days!

And I got my bib number today! 18959. I'm sure my family will be able to pick that one out of 40,000 runners...don't you think?

My current plan: Under 5 hours, walk through the aid stations (because I have a drinking problem...I canNOT drink from those little cups and run at the same time!), and thank all of the volunteers I meet along the route, because without them there would be no race!

Lynne (who is also a slow Clyde/Filly at 5'10" and 155!)
http://www.lynnedurham.com/journal
Old 09-25-2003, 08:47 PM   #74  

Default adventure race

Lynne~ Which adventure race are you doing? I'm doing the Muddy Buddy on October 26 and I am totally stoked! Good friends, running, biking, cargo nets, mud pits, what more can you ask?!

Wishing you the best of luck in Chicago! *envious*
Old 09-26-2003, 09:13 AM   #75  

Hey all !
Thanks for the feedback - I had a good 5 miler yesterday and am planning a long 10 mile jaunt this weekend with my sister who is also doing the race on the 19th. We're thinking marathon for next year - not sure which one - thought about the Marine Corps in DC, but heard its hard to get into... We'll have to see... On the other hand, Adventure racing sounds intrigueing.... Rojofish - what others have you done? Distances? Events?

Danskin (Webster MA)- by the way was really fun. It was my first Tri and the experience of racing with 1800 women was unbelievable. We (my 2 sisters and I) plan to do it again next year. Hopefully I'll be in better shape and smaller so I can beat my time! We're even thinking about taking the plunge into a REAL tri bike....... We'll see...

LynneD - Will you have a chip to track your progress during the race? I am feeding off your enthusiasm and getting more excited for my race... I know you're focused on Chicago right now - but what's your next big training event if the adventure race falls through.........

Happy Friday!
Absmom
Closed Thread