Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 11:08 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

I'm scared of the dark too... Glad I'm not the only one. But walking or running in the am is just so relaxing...
Old 08-26-2003, 12:00 AM   #32  

Heyhey, I made an increase of 4 min. on my 12 minute run/walk. I have to say that the first half was not pure torcher. I was suprised that it was not "like pulling teeth" as my run/walk for the last 2 weeks have been. I even went while having my monthly cramps that had me laying in pain 4 hours ago!

Ladaha
Old 08-26-2003, 06:49 AM   #33  

I bet the walking helped eased the cramps. I know exercise always helps me in that dept.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:19 PM   #34  

Add my name to the list of women who don't like to run in the dark. This is another one of the fears that I want to overcome.

I do not live in a bad neighborhood. I'm strong and athletic (well, now I am!). But I just can't seem to get past this thing yet.

Case in point: I get up at 4:30 3x weekly to go lift. I'm preparing for a December adventure race, so I wanted to add bicycling on Tuesday and Thursday early mornings. I just couldn't make myself do it!!

I *will* get over this...just not sure when or how.

Lynne
(who ran 14.5 miles straight through last Saturday! I *still* can't believe it! Woo hoo!!)
lynned.pitas.com
Old 08-26-2003, 07:04 PM   #35  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Wow, Lynne! What a great run! ....14.5 miles! ? ! WOW! LOL That sure makes my run to my stop sign look EVEN more pathetic than I thought! LOL What a great, wonderful acomplishment!

My son joined me this am on my walk/run. He is 11.5 and asked to join me! He was great company! I wasn't NEARLY as "afraid" with him! LOL...my protector...my kiddo! LOL Actually, I must have told him 1000 times, and I quote, "Do NOT run into me with that bike, MR!"

I live in a very rural area. We do have 1 known pervert who lives within a 1/2 mile of us...other than that...it isn't the crime that scares me! The PITCH black added with all the shadows and barking dogs ...well, OK the known perv doesn't THRILL me either! In my county, we have NO streetlights, NO sidewalks, NO leash laws, AND the roads are all "designed" to have a hump in the middle going down into deep ditches for drainage. (Don't tell me not to run on this...cause...THIS is the only place that I have to do it!)

about the dogs.....WHAT do I do about dogs who run up to me barking. First you must know that I not only HATE dogs (please forgive me!) but I'm DEATHLY afraid of them! I am totally UNeducated about this...can any one advise?

(and thanks for letting me know that I'm not the ONLY sunlight lovin gal around!)

Take care,
Robyn
Old 08-26-2003, 07:16 PM   #36  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

sorry....I should not have used the word "pervert" here. I am sure there is a more PC way of stating that he is a known sexual deviant who has served time in prison for sexual crimes (against women and children) that he was found guilty of. (actually he admitted to them) ...I'm still not PC...but well....forgive me please!

There is a guy in the neighborhood who is very scary. There...enough!
Old 08-26-2003, 07:40 PM   #37  

Well, call me un-PC as well. I wasn't the least bit offended by your comment. He is what he is.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:54 PM   #38  

Ladaha,

Congratulations on the increased walk/run time! That's fabulous!

Robyn,

Your run to the stop sign is just as important as my 14.5 miles, and that's *exactly* where I was in January of this year. Keep on trucking to that stop sign and we'll be reading about your 14.5 mile runs in no time!

Regarding dogs: I'm a dog lover but I do NOT like to encounter loose dogs while I am running. We are a dog family, but we are respectful of others and leash our pet. I've been charged by loose boxers, pit bulls, labs -- you name it.

My usual tack is to face the dog, stand my ground firmly, stomp my foot and yell, "Stop. Go home!" I was told that as pack animals, dogs respond to an authoritative voice. So far, it's worked. I'm not sure what I'll do when it doesn't.

Someone once recommended that I carry a mini, easy-open umbrella...the kind where you just push a button and it pops open. That way, if a dog is charging you, you open it right before s/he gets to you. The sudden action of the opening startles the dog away and it puts a (admittedly thin) point of protection between you and the dog.

And a pervert's a pervert. No sense being PC about it all!

Good luck to all on their runs!

Lynne
Old 08-27-2003, 08:35 PM   #39  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Wow, Lynne! How motivating! January?! WOW! Thanks for the encouragement....and I am grinning from ear to ear at the thought of ME going 14.5 miles! LOL

I can stand and stomp and yell at kids! (I teach!) BUT....I'm not so sure on my feet with dogs! I will try it when the situation requires it again! Today was day #2 with no doggies! Whew! I sort of like the umbrella thing...I just don't know if I am able to carry even the smallest one right now! LOL

Oh, btw, I weighed this morning. This was day #7 of my run/walk plan. Since my last weigh in on Thursday, I have lost 1.5 pounds! toooooo cool!

thanks for the support of my word choice....hehe! I didn't want to offend... But THAT guy is one creep I don't want to meet up with!

take care,
Robyn
Old 08-28-2003, 12:42 AM   #40  

Wow I just finished my 16 min. R/W and I ran 1/2 way run 1 walk 1. I really had to pull myself into the front yard. I had my dog with me and he needed a little "time" in the front yard. I almost fell down on the ground cuz my leggs felt like jelly! lol

I will weigh in on saturday I hope I have lost more! I will be thrilled with even 1 lb! That would put me under 180!

ladaha
Old 08-28-2003, 10:44 AM   #41  

Ladaha,

I've learned to love that "jelly leg" feeling! Makes me feel like I really worked my butt off...like I'm an athlete.

Great job on the 16 minutes!

Lynne
Old 08-29-2003, 06:42 PM   #42  

Now that I am at 16 min. this next week I want to push myself a little harder. Should I extend to 20 min r/w one min. still or should I hold at 16 min. and r 2 and w 1? any opinion would be great advice!
Old 08-29-2003, 11:57 PM   #43  

Hey,

I just ran for the first time while it was raining! I am proud of myself! I would like to say that I run rain, snow, or sun. I am not sure if I have the courage to run in the snow. We will see in a couple of months!! lol

ladaha

188/180/135

Last edited by ladaha; 08-30-2003 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-30-2003, 10:56 AM   #44  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Gooooooooo, Ladaha! Yahoooo for you!

This morning I ran even tho it was horribly HOT at 7:30...and the humidity was UNbelievable.... I walked out on my porch, sucked in that hot wet air...wanted to turn around...but didn't!

I added a bit (still have to figure this out for sure!) more running! To HONOR the heat and humidity! LOL

Ladaha, KEEP IT UP! You're keeping me out there! Some day we can meet at a 1/2 marathon and run it together...RIGHT! LOL
What a WACKED thought! LOL

take care,
Robyn
215.5 / 168.5 / 150 (and then another goal yet to be decided!)
Old 09-01-2003, 07:44 PM   #45  

Location: where the weather changes every 15 minutes-- Michigan

Default this run

I have read this post and liked it, I have been doing the run/walk thing for a month.. I also go to curves. I need the extra kick for weight loss, my body is stubborn. I am making progress and see it every time I go. I live in a rural area too so hard to say distance wise, only one stop sign for me to run to.. I will think of you guys when I see it now.

I hear you gals on the bra issue, trust me you need a very good one, if not two.. Yes I SAID TWO.. I use at least 2 to keep those babies in place. I also buy mine at walmart, dont wanna pay too much for as someone said, something you hate.. LOL

keep the feet flying, catch you all later..
Closed Thread