3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   New to running (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/30613-new-running.html)

ladaha 08-14-2003 12:41 PM

New to running

Any tips I hate to run but oprah has inspired me. She said she hates to run but what does she hate more? running or being fat! I started running monday and My lungs start to burn in the first few min. will that eventually get better or am I breathing wrong? What streatches are the best for my prerun streatch?

LynneD 08-14-2003 02:21 PM

Congratulations!

Ladaha,

This is so great!! Keep it up!!!

It *does* get easier, better, faster, less sucky as you get fitter. :)

There is no wrong way to breath...get that breathe in any way you can. I usually take an in for two foot falls and then an out for two footfalls. But whatever works for you is great!

Sooooo much of running is in your mind, not your lungs. Once I got past the minor discomforts and started to celebrate my running, it got a bit easier.

All that said, no matter *how* fit you are, you'll have good running days and you'll have not-so-good running days...just like life. :)

Take your time, follow a plan, progress slowly. As you lose weight and get fitter, you'll find it a bit easier and more enjoyable. Persistance, not perfection. Stick-to-it-iveness is what counts. :)

I'm running my first marathon this year and keeping a journal of it. If you're interested in reading it, visit lynned.pitas.com

Good luck and feel free to write for support if you need it. :)

lynne
LynneDurham at yahoo dot you know what.

ladaha 08-14-2003 05:06 PM

lynn, thanks for your positive words. How long were you excersizing before you saw a difference in your body?

jeeplaw 08-17-2003 10:31 AM

Hi Ladaha. I'd like to put my 2 cents in as well. Running is a GREAT way of losing weight, making that metabolism mechanism inside your body spin faster and faster, burning more and more calories. It will be EXTREMELY tough to get started. Believe me I know. At my heaviest I was 275lbs. I had so much trouble just breathing no matter running. Well, slowly I started with my set route. Concentrating on breathe in through the nose, out through the mouth. And no matter what your body feels like, try not to walk! It's hard, but at the same time it's a mental challenge. Run slow, or jog slow.

Make sure you have comfy shoes that support you. If not, your joints will really take a beating. Focus on running shoes that fit well, not to tight or loose. This will make a big difference.

Small steps will lead into big steps, big steps into strides, strides into sprints. Believe me. I've been there and done it. Keep your motivation and determination, and the new you will be here sooner than you think.

David

easygoer 08-17-2003 11:54 AM

Hi Ladaha,

Here is a page I used as a guideline for stretching before a run:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

Have fun!!

RavenToy 08-17-2003 12:17 PM

Personally I found that the interval training (run/walk/run/walk) worked very well for me to break into running. There was no way in heck that I could have maintained even a slow jog for 20 minutes, let alone a run. But I COULD do a warm up fast walk, then slow run, then faster run, then fast walk, rinse and repeat. This enabled me to build my wind up without getting completely discouraged. I also lifted weights to build up my muscle strength. Now there are some days when I run as fast as I can for as long as I can, then there are days when I interval, some days I like a longer, slower run. IMO all you need to do is listen to your body. I do know that if you can get through the initial "I don't feel like this, my body hurts, I'm slow..." feeling when you first start your run (for me it's the first 10-20 minutes, depending on the day) then usually you're so pumped that it's almost hard to stop. In February when I first started, I couldn't run for more than a tenth of a mile without feeling like I was dying. Now I can run for a mile and a half easy, two miles is a little harder. I haven't attempted three yet. I also found that sometimes, a week off is a good thing. I inadvertantly missed about a week of running, and thought I'd have a terrible time coming back, but instead, I came back even stronger and faster.

Each person has their own style, their own preferred method, and has to experiment to find out what's going to work best for them. But I have to say, running is still one of the most exhilarating feelings going! Good luck!

ladaha 08-17-2003 03:10 PM

easygoer! thanks for the site! It is now on my favorites list. So much of the time if you can not run 2 miles in 10 minutes you are made to feel why the heck are you trying! This site did not do that at all!!!

LynneD 08-18-2003 11:02 AM

ladaha,

I do a very comprehensive wellness program, including eating right and exercising vigorously and often. I started in January, I started noticing results on the scale immediately; I started noticing results in the mirror within a month and other people started noticing results within two months.

I've lost nearly 60 pounds now! :)

Lynne

LynneD 08-18-2003 06:54 PM

I agree completely with what RavenToy said! When I first started running, I, too, did walk/run/walk intervals until I worked my way up to just running. :)

Lynne
lynned.pitas.com

ladaha 08-19-2003 12:43 AM

Wahoo! I made it from 10 min walk/run last week to 12 man will I ever make it to 20? I really had to push myself for the last 3 min. Oh well I did it thanks to all who have encouraged me!

scooby2 08-19-2003 06:30 AM

HI there - check our www.newrunner.com they have some great info for new runners!!

ladaha 08-20-2003 12:41 AM

how many days a week do you all run? is 5 to many to expect?

RavenToy 08-20-2003 05:51 AM

Ladaha - I usually run 5 days a week and lift 3, but I also take a week off every couple months. I think a lot of it depends on how much sleep you get, what you eat, what other exercises you're doing.

You definitely will make it to 20, just don't give up. I will never forget the first time I ever got on a treadmill - it was over 11 years ago and I weighed 245 pounds. I couldn't even WALK for more than 5 minutes. I felt horrible. But I kept pushing it each day, just a little bit. That year is a bit of a blur for me, because that's the year my mom passed away and I decided to get a divorce but... I do remember waking up from my fog one day and realizing I was running 10 minutes at a time, and doing a total time of 45 minutes or a total distance of 3 miles. And I'd lost nearly 80 pounds. Unfortunately when I moved down to GA I let myself gain quite a bit of that back, but I'm back into running and lifting again, and it's coming off. This time it's going to STAY off! :D

So whatever you do, don't give up... each walk/run is a victory! :bravo:

LynneD 08-20-2003 03:38 PM

Ladaha,

I run 5-7x weekly, including twice a day sometimes...and I always take at least one day off.

5x weekly might be too much to start out for some people but not others. So just listen to your body. If you're feeling strong, go ahead and do it. If you're getting sore, tired and cranky, back off. You don't want to burn out and sabotage your efforts!

Some of my runs are very short distance-wise (20 minutes of intervals). I do those 3x weekly in the AM. Then, I do 2-3 short- to mid-distance runs a week in the afternoons and one long run on the weekend.

It also helps if you set a goal of doing a race (well, at least it helps me!). Choose one that's far enough out that you know you'll be sufficiently prepared, but close enough that you have to be working on it right up until race time.

Runner's World has some great resources and training plans!

Lynne
lynned.pitas.com

HatterasMermaid 08-20-2003 11:02 PM

Hello, I'm new to this thread....

I am searching for something "new"...and for whatever reason, I've decided RUNNING is it! Yikes! I have bookmarked the pages suggested above! Will read them as soon as I post this note!

Today, I put on my usual exercise clothes and instead of doing my Firm tape, I stretched a bit and took off down the drive way. I set my goal for the stop sign at the end of my street....I nearly died, but made it there! I walked down the other street a bit until my breathing became easier...and then took off from the stop sign for my driveway. YIKES! I did it...and tomorrow, I'm going to do it again! It is a VERY short distance....but I did it!

My goal for the end of next week: to run there and back without having to walk in the middle...??? I'm not too sure I'm doing this right! LOL

any advice for a VERY new runner....hehehee...so new I don't think it counts!

Thanks,
Robyn
215.5/173/150ish by the end of the year or sooner!