Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 07:57 PM   #46  

Location: where the weather changes every 15 minutes-- Michigan

Default music??

just curious what music everyone is using for their running.. Currently I'm happy with Top Gun soundrack..
Old 09-04-2003, 11:06 PM   #47  

help I am drowning in disapointment and discouragement! I have been running for 3 weeks and simply do not want to do it any more!! I need a pep talk
Old 09-07-2003, 04:33 PM   #48  

Talking pep talks..:)

Ladaha, oh girl, get those shoes on and go.. are you using a headset, radio or not? Maybe a change of scenery, a park to run in or a trail nearby?? Remember that feeling you get when you run and the feeling afterwards, that sort of euphoric feeling, its great. Missing that feeling myself.. gets ya all peppy and feeling great. The rewards are worth it, you have some so far.. 3 weeks is great . I know you can keep it going. Any chance of getting a running partner? Even if its just one day a week to break the routine.

remember, we're here for you, I believe you will put those shoes on and go, you will be happy that you did.

Old 09-08-2003, 12:30 AM   #49  

Hey thanks shades I hope this week goes better than last! I only ran 2x. SHAME ON ME!!

ladaha

188/180/135
Old 09-08-2003, 04:15 PM   #50  

This might sound odd, but I feel that it is better to run w/out music. I like to spend an hour each day reflecting on whatever pops into my mind. Running can be very spiritualistic. Think of it as a time of prayer and/or reflection each day. Also think of it as a way to eat a hearty dinner and not feel guilty!! Nothing like hard exercise to give you the right to order a little dessert! IMO.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:14 PM   #51  

Ladaha, I am sure you will get more than 2x this week.. I am challenging you to.. Just got home from curves, ate dinner, time to change the laundry over, NOW i can go for my run..

checking equipment.. duct tape, shoes, walkman.. time to go.

Hey Conway, doesnt sound odd at all. I think more runners are that way.. I'm just an odd duck, the music keeps me motivated for now.

ya'll take care and keep those shoes tied tight.. cya soon
Old 09-08-2003, 11:02 PM   #52  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Hey Y'all..... Now that I'm back at school (I teach!) I'm having a horrid time fitting ME time back into all that I must do...... I miss my running/walking soooo much...and I'm sure that I'm not making progress on getting rid of the last 18 pounds.

soooo....What do you guys know about running on a treadmill? I have one.... and could, should and will use it.......but I have to know WHAT and HOW to do this...I KNOW that this is not the same....but until I get the schedule BACK to something that is reasonable...OR until the season changes and it is daylight before 6am in eastern Virginia.... I'm thinking this is what I HAVE to do. Is it possible?

I NEED to get back to the running....I can't see a stop sign now without thinking of you and how I'm letting myself DOWN!

HELP! I miss summer...I was MEANT to be a "kept" woman! I
am going to spend all my paychecks on lottery tickets!

Robyn
Old 09-10-2003, 05:18 PM   #53  
SuperWoman

S/C/G: 194/157.5/145

Height: 5'9"

Hi All,
I really loved reading all of your posts, especially the ones about the stop sign!! At least I'm not the only one!!! One suggestion about the dogs and the perv down the road, have you thought about pepper spray? You can buy a little can on a keychain. I have found a great beginners workout
http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1...78-2-2,00.html
The one thing I do differently is that I only run/walk for a total of 30 mins, so I do one less repeat.
Example :Week 1
Run 2 minutes,
walk 4 minutes.
Repeat 5 times
I would only repeat 4 times.
Good luck to all and keep up the good work!!
Old 09-10-2003, 06:35 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

thanks for the link. And for the layout. I don't think I could run solid for any amount of time...at least not with proper warm up.

It always amazed me, in high school, when we were forced to do the Mile run once a year, but we never trained for it. yes, it's only a mile..but still...
Old 09-11-2003, 08:17 AM   #55  
SuperWoman

S/C/G: 194/157.5/145

Height: 5'9"

FrugalChick,
I know, even though I ran track in high school (only sprints) that mile would kill me. I would run it and skip it, skipping seemed easier.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:23 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

I cheated on my last mile run. Everyone thought I was on my last lap, when I was really just starting my fourth one (it was 9 minutes) and I didn't speak up. I know I'm dishonest. But really...it's the only time I ever 'ran' the 'mile' run in under 12 minutes!
Old 09-11-2003, 07:25 PM   #57  
Sunshine

S/C/G: 219/211.4/140

Height: 5'6

hello everyone. I need HELPPPPPP I started running outside today. For me it more like a quick trot (about 1/4 mile). I have trotted (run) 3 -10k(6.3) mile races. Each time I tried to train up to doing it...but never made it past 1/2 an hour. I did the races, walk-run in 67-78 minutes. Still do not know how the heck I did it. I never get a runners high, I only did these for a challenge of myself. (and the reward of a decadent hot fude sundae)

Now I have challenged a co-worker and myself to run the Turkey trot the Saturday after Thanksgiving. He is up to 5 miles and LOVES it. Meanwhile I am not even up to 10 minutes straight. I can do a cardio class for and hour...what is wrong with me?

I looked at the website for the run/walk times. I am so afraid that I will never be able to do the straight run. Even if it is a slow trot. Something just gives up in me. any ideas would be helpful!!!

I am going to do 10 minutes on the treadmill in the a.m. and try to do 10 more before I leave work.
Thanx
Cam
Old 09-12-2003, 09:44 AM   #58  

Hi everyone!

It's been awhile since I've stopped in, so this will be a long one. Just wanted to pop in and say hello!

Dana: I love music while I run! I use mix CDs exclusively, because I fully control every single song on the mix. Plus, mix CDs tend to be longer than purchased CDs, so they last for more of my run without me having to change the CD.

Some favorite songs on my current mixes include:
Everlast: Babylon Feeling
Billy Idol: Power Surger and Rebel Yell
Tom Petty: Running Down a Dream
Edwin Starr: 25 Miles
Jimi Hendrix: Foxy Lady
Macy Gray: Sexomatic Venus Freak
Sonia Dada: Summertime
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Fly Away on my Zephyr and If You Want me to Stay

Right now, I'm in the process of making a list of songs that will last 5 hours. Then, I hope to get a minidisk player or an iPod and burn all those songs and have them available for my little October obsession in Chicago.

Ladaha: One motivating trick I use is to create -- and follow -- a specific plan. That way, I can't leave anything to chance. I once read a quote that said "you cannot fail with a plan" because all you have to do is each step. So, if my plan is Run 3 miles Tuesday, Run 8 miles Thursday, Run 3 miles Friday, Run 14 miles Sunday...I just do what I have to do on the day I have to do it. I don't give myself a choice of doing or not doing. (Gosh...that's almost Yoda-like! )

Robyn: I run on treadmills occasionally but I find it much more mentally challenging than road running because I get so bored. However, there is a woman at my club who runs 60 minutes a day, 5 days a week on the treadmill and she's in GREAT shape.

A personal trainer friend of mine gave me this tip: When you use a treadmill, set the incline to a minimum of 1% to more closely mimic flat road running. If you keep it at 0%, you're not working as hard as you would on the road (because you don't have wind resistance and some other reasons). I feel this tip has really helped my running.

Lori: The pepper spray is a great idea in theory. But as a former letter carrier (for 7 years), I can attest that it very easily backfires on you. Even when you don't perceive much of a breeze, the wind can cause the spray to blow back on you with disasterous results.

Cam: I can't stress enough just how much of running is mental. Honestly...it's all in your head and when you control that, you're able to progress. It's like I mentioned to Robyn above: I find treadmill running exceedingly difficult. In fact, I hate to/cannot/will not run more than 4 miles at a time on the treadmill. Now, to prove that this is in my head, I have run 20 miles at one time on the roads. And in fact, when I've got my monkey mind under control, I *can* run more than 4 miles on the treadmill...I'm just kicking and screaming inside my head the entire time.

So how do you get your mind under control? First, be sure this is what you want. I'm assuming this *is* what you want since the Turkey Trot was your idea. So you must at least like the *idea* of being a runner...right? So now you've got to totally commit to this idea. Choose a plan and do not alter from following that plan.

Play mind games: when you run, keep a mantra going through your head, such as "I'm strong and fit. I'm strong and fit" and "I am a runner. I am a runner."

Add more days to your plan if you have to, to move you forward. For example, if you say you can't go past 30 minutes and your plan calls for 35 one day, you'll need to add an extra day where you force yourself to do 32 or 33 minutes to convince yourself that you *can* get past that barrier.

Talk to people who you perceive to be "runners." Ask them about training and ask what they do when they just don't want to run anymore. You'll be surprised to find that "real runners" struggle with their brain telling them to slow down, just stop, sleep in, etc...just like us beginners!

Look for motivational messages that help you get in a positive frame of mind. I found some from the [email protected]. Here's an example:
-=-=-=-=
IF YOU HAVE THE DESIRE, YOU HAVE THE POWER.
----------------------------------------------
Your dreams will come true,
if you have the desire to pursue them.
You must believe in yourself.
Know in your heart,
that you can do the job you've set out to do.

You're never given a wish
without also being given the power to make it come true.
The achievement of your goal is assured
the moment you commit yourself to it.

Everything is possible,
if you believe it's possible.
It's your mind that sets your limits.
What you envision you can do, you can do.

Start thinking of yourself as a success
and success will follow.
Success is a state of mind.

You can, because you think you can.
©[email protected]
-=-=-=-=

As for my marathon training, last week was my last HARD week on my training schedule before the marathon, culminating in a 20 mile run on Sunday. I still can't believe I did it, but I did!! I've got the funny, short-sock tan lines to show for it, too.

I'm now easing into my taper, with this week and next being MEDIUM in difficulty and then moving to two easy weeks ending in Grant Park after the longest run of my entire life.

Good luck to everyone. It's been beautiful weather in Michigan...if it's nice where you are, get out and hit the roads!

Lynne in Michigan
http://lynned.pitas.com
Old 09-12-2003, 11:33 AM   #59  
Sunshine

S/C/G: 219/211.4/140

Height: 5'6

thanx Lynn

I plan on getting on the treadmill before I leave work. No time to actually go outside and run. I might try going to a track and doig the lap-at-a time.

Cam
Old 09-12-2003, 01:52 PM   #60  

For everyone here:

I just got the October issue of Runner's World and there is a LOT of great information for beginning runners, even though it's not specifically targeted to beginners. Examples include Joe Henderson's column, in which he says not everyone can run faster, but *everyone* can run longer...all you need is persistance, pacing, and patience.

And the Q&A column mentions that with patience, you can progress past run/walk, but that you really don't *have* to progress past run/walk, either...it's a valid strategy for doing races, right up to the marathon distance.

The most important thing is that we're all out there doing something...because that's what's best for our health!
Closed Thread