Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 08:49 AM   #16  

Hatteras:

It counts! Congratulations!

The beginning running plan at newrunner.com is GREAT.

Remember: all it takes is consistency, not perfection.

Welcome to the world of running! Keep up the great work!

Lynne
lynned.pitas.com
Old 08-21-2003, 03:55 PM   #17  

hi fellow aspiring runners!

i think oprah has the RIGHT idea... and i think 3 years ago, i decided the same thing myself.

i was around 185lbs when i started walk/run and i can say that if you make a commitment to do it every night, even for 20-30 minutes, you can build up your endurance. 3 years, down to 150lbs, i can say running has been a MAJOR factor in my weight loss and sustaining my health and its definitely a major part of my fitness program at 3-4x a week, averaging 3 miles. i couldn't run to the stop sign to save my LIFE, and now 2 miles is no problem, at a steady 5.3 pace. i love running... it clears my head, it makes your head and your body strong... it can be such a mental high... nothing feels as good as a good run!

here are my tips:

*stretch really well before you go. target your back, butt, hips, thighs, and hams especially. but you really want to stretch the whole body good and well so youre flexible.

*stretch after, too. its important so your muscles youre introducing to a joggers life dont get too tight.

*breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth. this will eliminate that sharp pain you might get in your side (which can also be from too little or too much water, but mostly from bad breathing).

*go soft on your knees. concentrate on small steps first, slow pace. dont try to be a sprinter just yet. no one cares what time you finish the race as long as you finish!

*wear appropriate shoes/clothing so you feel comfortable enough for your run.

*interval is good. i live in the city, so when i started running, id run walk one block, run one/ walk one block, run two/ walk one block, run three... so on and so forth. if you can, get someone to join you...

*get a good soundtrack. great music is always a great motivation for me to run. it used to be angry bitter love songs at one point LOL.

good luck!! i hope you all get in the groove!

*mel
Old 08-21-2003, 04:23 PM   #18  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

I just wanted to post that I did my "run" again this morning! I ran to the corner...then did my good ole speed walking to another side street...turned around "speed walked" back to the stop sign and ran home! Today it was the run home before I thought I was going to die! Which is 3/4 of the "trip"...instead of death thoughts in the first 1/4 like yesterday! Yipee!

Here is a question...when do you get over worrying about what you look like? Ie, I'm just *SURE* that every car's occupants are laughing their heads off as they pass me......Nothing like having confidence, huh?!

Thanks for the info and encouragement, Mel and Lynne! Lynne, I have visited your site...and have to admit I don't even understand 1/2 of what you're talking about...ie, I don't know the terms! BUT...I find your journey very encouraging!

Mel, I noticed that your highest weight and mine are nearly the same. I've got quite a bit further to go....but...I'm going to get there!

thanks, ya'll!
Robyn
215.5/172(I weighed today! yahoo!)/150ish
Thanks!

Last edited by HatterasMermaid; 08-21-2003 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:41 PM   #19  

Robyn,

Thanks for pointing out the acronym issue. I forget that not everyone is doing the same programs I am. I posted an entry on my journal about what all the acronyms mean, but here's a rundown:

BFL = Body for Life, a weightlifting, cardio, eating program
WW = Weight Watchers
LSD = Long , slow distance
HIIT = high intensity interval training

Did I miss any?

I'm glad today was a day off on my training plan...it topped out at 101 near my home!

Lynne
lynned.pitas.com
Old 08-22-2003, 10:33 AM   #20  

hey there hatteras:

congrats on having a good run. it feels so good doesnt it?

i used to have that self-conscious thing too. what i like to do sometimes is wear a hat/glasses (one or both) and my walkman and just try to push it out of my head anyway. i was always thinking they were laughing at me... and then i started running through the city streets and used idly walking people as i ran by--cause id have this fear in my head that if i stopped theyd be thinking "well why did she even try..." god, i know all about those thoughts! but, i suffered and perservered through it... and i can tell you, im better for it!

if you keep at this, i promise youll see such a positive result within 2 months and by 6 months you'll start to really feel strong. the thing is, for me, running is a very mental thing... its overcoming your fears, challenging your body, and then chlallenging your mind to cut out the madness and push you to keep going until you feel like you want to die... and with a strong mind, youll be surprised how much more you can go!!

good luck!
*melanie
Old 08-22-2003, 10:48 AM   #21  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Hi again!

Just *HAD* to tell this thread that I did it again! I ran to my corner this morning, did a bit of speed walking, actually decided to run to another stop sign, speed walked back to my orignial corner and ran back home. Of course, this distance is pitifully short, but MAN am I proud of it! LOL

Thanks so much, Lynne, for the acronym explaination! I can't wait to read more of your journal and journey to the marathon! Especially NOW that I know what you're talking about! LOL

*Melanie , I am doing this running/walking thing on rather rural roads..no sidewalks...and no crowds...no one to hide behind! Today my neighbor actually went by....I waved like I do when I'm out raking the yard! I decided that THAT was the best way to deal with the people I know who REALLY are looking at me! Thank you for your encouragement to get through these fears and mental issues! (my words, not yours!)

My legs are screaming at me this morning...but I will go again tomorrow morning! It isn't my knees, it is my muscles! I have sort of gotten to the point where I like the way my muscles feel when they have been exercised! Beats the heck out of the other aches and pains felt...the ones from being fat and out of shape!

....So, I'll go read some more on the beginning runners page. I know that I have GOT to get some good shoes soon! Thanks for the support and encouragement!

Thanks again,
take care,
Robyn....the HatterasMermaid
Old 08-23-2003, 08:29 AM   #22  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Stretched a LOT this morning before I took off down the driveway! I also walked and increased my speed slowly to warm up a bit! SEE, I am reading and learning and listening to you all!

Today felt great! Well....until I had only about 3 "houses" to go to reach my driveway on my return trip... Melanie, YOU are the reason that I went the rest of the way! So that I could type that I went further than I thought that I could!

Later this morning, I'm going to drive out and see how far (or NOT) I'm actually going...and to plot a new path! I think I might be liking this! ....RIGHT...Day 4 done! I sure talk big, don't I?!

Robyn
Old 08-23-2003, 06:37 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

I got up at 6 am to go running with my SIL. She came and knocked on my door, and when I didn't answer, she went home and went back to bed! I did get up and walk when it was still dark outside and I thought about this thread. Half way around my circuit, I decided to run. I only ran to the stop sign...and I have to ask--how do you do it?

I didn't have a sports bra on, but I thought I was pretty well supported..until I started running! I really hurt. Do sports bras really work? I've never gotten them because they are in the tiny section of the intimates department..the part I've never gone in even when I was a bitty thing...lol

Any thoughts or ideas?
Old 08-23-2003, 07:58 PM   #24  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Hey Frugal Chick,

...You ran to my GOAL! That beloved stop sign! The one I nearly KISS when I reach it! GOOD for you! I'm STILL a very beginner... BUT, I'm going to do this! I *AM* going to run!

About the sports bra...
I discovered earlier this year how WONDERFUL and how necessary sports bras are when you (I) exercise. I began doing The Firm tapes in May. I did one tape before I decided that I *HAD* to figure out what to do about the support or lack there of! I have no idea what size you need, however, sports bras are made in a variety of sizes (from bitty to biggie!) and I literally purchased my first one in Walmart (wouldn't want to spend a fortune on something that I knew I'd hate!) WHOOOOHOOO! What a difference! GO get one! Strap *them* down...and take off to that stop sign!

Private Message me, if you want to talk further regarding bras...or my love of that BELOVED stop sign! I think that once you get over the "hang up" of shopping for one (and YES, I *DO* know what THAT is like!..I've got a hang up about EVERYTHING! LOL) you will love the difference and the support!

What a HOOT! *ME* offering advice to someone! Hehehehee!

take care,
Robyn
Old 08-23-2003, 08:01 PM   #25  

LOL, thanks Robin
Old 08-23-2003, 08:19 PM   #26  

Hey Chicks!
I was getting discouraged about running and missed 2 days in a row. I do not own a scale. I went to my moms today and I lost 8 lbs!! I am running tonight!!

lol
Ladaha
Old 08-23-2003, 08:36 PM   #27  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

WhoooHoooo, Ladaha! Congratulations! How long have you been running?! Ie, when can I expect to see a change in my weight!

Keep going!
Robyn
Old 08-23-2003, 10:57 PM   #28  

I have been running for 2 weeks

WEEEEEE I AM ON A HIGH
Old 08-24-2003, 09:54 AM   #29  

Aren't natural highs the best?!
Old 08-25-2003, 10:24 PM   #30  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Do you know how dark it is in my part of Virginia at 5:30? I think it was still NIGHT time! I waited 15 minutes and it got a tad more light.... I have to leave for work at 7. I must do my "thing" before work as I KNOW that it won't get done after..... Guess I need to get over my "scared of the dark issues"!

I'm beginning my 2nd week! I CAN do this! I CAN do this!
Closed Thread