Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #106  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Oh geez guys,
im REALLY UPSET, and theres NOTHING anyone can do about it. So, as you guys know i quit smoking a ilttle over 3 weeks ago! YAY ME!! However, in the span of only 3 weeks ive gained 4-5 pounds! BOO!!! At first i thouht it was due to the EXTREME constipation (hope i dont need to go into THOSE details again) However, since things have been, uh MOVING again for a while, and the bLOATING has gone down, i find that my weight has NOT gone down. This is permanent weight. I did some further investigation into the matter. it seems that nicotine affects insulin levels! After ALL those years of smoking, my bodys insulin production is WAY outta whack now that i quit, and the over production of insulin right now is causing my body to store the dreaded fat. Hence 4 pounds SO FAR. This CAn take months to work itself out, and the ony thing you can do is WAIT it out. Here comes the kicker...it gets worse when you go off the patch. I am on the patch. i do NOT EVER want to go off the patch ifthe weight gain is going to get worse. But i need to. Cant stay on it forever, and im only delaying the inevitable. MOST peopl who DONT start mindlessly eating and crap (which i havent--my eating habits have not changed one bit) will gain at LEAST 10 pounds, and there is nothing they can do about it.
Ive spent all summer working SO HARD and spending so MUCH MONEY getting my weight FINALLY DOWN to where i am happy. and all for NOTHING. im thinking the DAY I finish my marathon, i need to yank off the patch, COLD TURKEY (and not step down doses like you are supposed to do) so i can stop delaying the inevitable. I started crying the more and more research articles i read..... I worked so hard, and i was finally HAPPY with the way i looked. Guess i better change my weight stats ( i was HOPING the weight iw as at was temporary water/constipation weight).
Im not sure if i should restart my diet when i go off the patch. The way my diet (Ive been on MRC) works, is you have certain menus for different stages during the diet, kinda like atkins induction phases, etc (this is NOT like atkins though). Im wondering if it will help/stall/avoid the excessive weight gain if i go full force back to the beginning of the diet, which BTW was EXTREME calorie deprivation the first 10 days, at least extreme to me given my training load! Im so scared you guys. i know if i can just WAIT out the weight gain, and go ahead and do it, that i can get it OFF again using MRC, becuz the MRC plan is SO effective if you follow it. I just dont want to go through the emotional/psychological trauma and devastation of gaining the weight, you all know what i mean, im sure.

Just so you guys know, going back to being a smoker is not EVEN A THOUGHT I AM CONSIDERING.
not that any of you can offer that majical advice that will fix anything, i just really neede to rant, i guess.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

mk - hang in there, kiddo! that sounds really really hard and not the reward you deserve for taking the great step of quitting. So sorry.

Just got back from my much delayed run (in the snow no less) - 5.6 miles! Haven't run that far in 20 years. Just ordered some of fatpants' tights to celebrate as the xc skiing ones I wore today definitely weren't designed for running but are okay in a pinch.
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:10 AM   #108  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Cool about the yaktrax!! I've never heard of them before.

MK, how upsetting about nicotine and insulin! After all your work to lose the weight and to quit smoking. =(
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:38 AM   #109  

S/C/G: 172/160.6/136

Height: 172cm

I have damn coral in my foot! - A weekend of diving gone bad . I am training for a marathon in December and this weekend was supposed to be my 17 mile run! Damn I feel stressed!
nattynatnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:58 AM   #110  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
not that any of you can offer that majical advice that will fix anything, i just really neede to rant, i guess.
rant away!

There may be another factor at work too -- for some reason, I tend to gain weight during hard training and racing season. Balancing adequate fueling with athletic performance is very difficult. You have to stay adequately hydrated and eat enough carbs (which adds water weight). Then you taper and burn LESS calories for a couple of weeks before, and need to adequately refuel afterward for muscle repair. Add the insulin wackiness on top of that, and no wonder!

You are doing all of the right things, and the scale will have to cooperate eventually!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:08 AM   #111  

S/C/G: 259/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

MK~ I'm so sorry about all the insulin stuff! However, what MBN said makes a lot of sense. I bet once you're body is just in the middle of adjusting with the quitting smoking and the training you're doing. Hang in there hun, I'm sure once everything evens out you'll find yourself sitting in a better position than you imagine. However, I would be pissed too if, after all that hard work you were faced with a gain after doing something good for you body! It just doesn't seem fair!

So, I decided that I'd rather do my running in the morning--I'm just not liking running in the afternoons. I have found that I can squeeze in my other workout in the middle of the day while the girls are playing and it's all good. Might be one or two that I need to do in the morning (like yoga) but when it comes to running 3 miles--I'm sticking to early morning! Had to run it on the treadmill again this morning--I woke up late and it was pouring so I opted to stay home and stay dry. I already miss running outside so much! My time stinks on the treadmill!!

Well girls, have a wonderful day! I'll catch y'all later!
iDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #112  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

MK, I'm so sorry to hear you're having a tough time. Who knew that smoking could affect insulin? After the race you might want to try cutting down on carbs to offset the increased insulin. Not really "low carb" per say, but just try to limit them if possible. That is what busted me through my plateau!

Dancer - congrats on the 5.6 miles!!! Hope you like the tights!

iDream - I hear you on the different running times during the day. I too decided that running in the afternoon rarely produces a good run. I'm likely to do better in the morning, and definitely better in the evening. A challenge now that the days are getting shorter, but I think when you find a time of day that works for you, it's good to stick with it!

WEeelllllll it's supposed to be a balmy 26 degrees and SNOWING tomorrow morning for my race! DH and I are on the hunt tonight for some winter running gear for him and maybe some extras for me... I'll really be putting those tights to the test tomorrow morning!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #113  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

fatpants - best of luck tomorrow! hope you can bundle up and stay warm! And best wishes to any other racers this weekend!
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #114  

S/C/G: 165/---/148

sharon: check out New York Road Runners Club

I've been avoiding this week due to stress and tests...and just everything piling up. I ran two days ago-- did 2 9 min miles then a 10 min mile. So, not too terrible... but, I really need to work on my endurance! Going to get back on track this weekend more...

Last edited by loquaciousjogger; 10-09-2009 at 11:41 AM.
loquaciousjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #115  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

Well, ladies, I signed on today to whine about how discouraged I am over my weight-gain and ask if anyone else experienced something similar when they upped their runnning...and now I feel totally shamed about my pity party compared to poor MK.

I'm so sorry things are dismal right now, dearie! I'm proud of you, though, for being realistic and confident about your plan to ride it out and do what you have to do to relose - it sucks to have such a setback, but I know you can do it when your body is ready! And so awesome to remain focused on your determination to quit despite the initial effects! I feel inspired to ride out my own rough patch and figure out an action plan.

dancer - 5.6 snowy miles! Awesome!!
SkinnyJeans - good luck with your big race day! Have fun and STAY WARM! (we already know you're HOT )
iDream - cute new pic! I recommend morning running - it makes the whole day bright and lively.
loquacious - thanks for the tip! Good luck with stuff and have fun this weekend if you make it out there!

So, yeah, my whinefest - seems all of September has been a weight-loss major stall for me despite how awesome my running is going. this week I regained 2.5 pounds despite no eating-plan slippages and 20+ miles run. Pretty discouraging, as I don't know what to fix...and I don't feel fatter. Maybe the effect MBN explained, to a much lesser degree of course, since I've been training so hard for the 10k?

I'm trying to stay pumped for my big race tomorrow, and I know this discouragement will pass...

Sorry this is long. <3 to all of you! TGIF!
sharongracepjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Hi girls! I'm baaaack! I took my test today and passed (woohoo!) so I can breathe easy and return to my normal self. I've been a total disaster with food this past week and have gained a few pounds, but more importantly, feel pretty disgusting. I've run a few times to get ready for the 10K this Sunday but I'm definitely picking up the running and cleaning up the food NOW. Need to get back to feeling good to start off my half marathon training!

Mk - I'm so sorry that you're going through all this crappy stuff! But I'm so incredibly proud of you for not even thinking about smoking again. You WILL make it through and your body will readjust. I wouldn't go too extreme with your diet, especially with all the running, but maybe cut down a little on the carbs, drink a ton of water, and just don't weigh yourself for a week or two! I really do think your body will readjust to the changing hormone levels and the weight will come off even if you do exactly what you're doing now, maybe not overnight, but it'll happen. Just keep your spirits up and get exciting for your MARATHON!!!

Dancer - Wow! Congrats on that distance! That's so impressive. You're improving so quickly, it's awesome!

FatPants - Good luck on your race this weekend!! I can't believe how cold it's gonna be, but I'm sure the adrenaline (and all those layers of clothes) will keep you warm!

Loquacious - Ugh, don't test suck? I feel like my whole life falls apart the week of an exam, but it's all about balance I guess. Good luck!

Sharon - I started eating more when I started running a lot, so I gained a few pounds until I found the right balance, so maybe just make sure you're really vigilant with your diet (I know you said you are, but it can't hurt to be extra careful!). Also, water retention/muscle building could be a big factor, so give your body a few weeks to adjust to all the running. As long as you don't feel like you're gaining and your clothes still fit well, then you're fine!

Idream - Sounds like you're doing great with your running!

Hi to everyone else!
TakingCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #117  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Fat Pants--thank you! I appreciate you posting the link. I definitely need to get something figured out. I have been using Nike long activewear pants but I know I will need more as the winter comes on full.

--Ran my four miles today and very dark, cloudy weather. I added some new songs to my Ipod--it sure helps! I even think it's a mood booster for me--I am sure the exercise always is but adding it with the music is awesome.

Enjoy the weekend Runners!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Happy weekend and good luck to everyone who is racing this weekend!!

I'm inspired by some of your switches to AM running. I'd really like to get into this habit, but I am NOT a morning person. I am queen of the snooze alarm and staying in bed until the last possible minute that I can. That being said, sometimes by the end of the day I am just burnt out. Any of you have to really struggle with morning runs and have any advice for me? It'd be much appreciated =)
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #119  

S/C/G: 270.6/161.0/150

Height: 5'8"

I will be no help to you, I am afraid. I do find that my runs are much better when I run in the morning..which surprised me because I am NOT a morning person either.

But my definition of a morning run is probably very different than many here I get up, get my big kids onto the bus, get my little one breakfast and then I run. This means it is usually sometime between 9 and 10 when I hop on my treadmill. That is doable for me as I don't work outside the home during the day. My work is more likely to be evenings and weekends.
momof5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:09 AM   #120  

S/C/G: 259/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Just a super fast fly by post for me (gotta get my workout in!), but I wanted to wish SkinnyPants and Sharon good luck on their races!!!!!

Have a blast, stay warm and good luck!!! Can't wait to hear all about it!
iDream is offline   Reply With Quote