Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-21-2005, 02:10 PM   #76  
Remember Why I'm Here

S/C/G: s-241/g-145

Height: 5'5"

Ottoette: thanks! I'm happy I was able to stop this time. I've tried many times over the last 20 years! This time was different tho. When it got time to order cigarettes (we get them on line cheaper), I just told my hubby not to lol... i was tired of paying so much for them. We could do so much more with that money. And I haven't looked back. I think one day at work I was desperate for a smoke and my friend stuck a stick of Big Red in my mouth instead. I guess I was just ready this time. Now If I can get my food cravings under control as easily............. lol.

Things there are going well, I see my nutritionalist next week and will be taking her a list of questions this time. No more just saying I understand when I really don't!!

Good luck to everyone and you all have a wonderful day!!!
iwmonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:58 PM   #77  

Hello everybody,
Welcome to the board Kim. I have had numerous bladder infections over my lifetime as well as yeast infections, these were the only signs of diabetes that I ever really had and my acanthosis nigricans.
My sugars have been pretty high lately (for me) between 7-12 (125-160). Lots of stress to deal with. Looking for a good job, living with inlaws, other things. On a good note we have been getting more exercise.
Nothing much more has been really going on.

Melissa
MAGirardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:30 PM   #78  

Cool

Hi Rosey. Thanks for the information from your classes. Most of it I've heard but it's good to be reminded. My doctor doesn't really get into the details of what to eat etc. He leaves that to the diabetes educators who are very good.
Iwmonn: Welcome to the thread. Congratulations on quitting smoking. I finally did it in 1978 and it was the hardest thing I've ever done (except keep my weight down and stable ) If you go back to that diet you were on a few years ago and step up the exercise, you will probably be able to control your blood sugar without any medication at all. I was taking Lipitor, now take Zocor (HMO made me switch). Until I started a medical fast 6 weeks ago, I was taking Actos (15 mg.), Glucotrol and Glucophage. Now I'm just taking Glucophage. It's not as good alone as the Actos in controlling blood sugar and now my morning sugars average about 146. But I'm losing weight.
Kim - Congratulations to you, too, in quitting smoking. You will feel so much better. I don't test my blood sugar after meals. I guess I should but my meals are so wierdly scheduled now that I'm on this program.
Melissa - Once your life settles down you will be able to work on your diet easier but in the meantime you are getting in good exercise time which will help relieve some of the stress.
I'm plugging along on my fasting program and losing steadily (but not fast enough to suit me ). I'm not exercising right now but will try to start soon.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 05:04 PM   #79  

Hi everyone.. sunny and windy here today..its really fall out.. the leaves are blowing everywhere i finished my classes.. when my dr first persribed them for me i was not a happy camper.. didnt think i needed them but after completing them i realize i was so far off the wagon its pitiful.. am now keeping a journal and testing bs more often and really counting those carbs..and exercising at least 15 min a day..my sugars are still bouncing around while i figure out what works and what doesnt..im determined to make this work tho.. so how are all of you doing?? hope your all having a great weekend((((((hugs)))))))) rosey
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:17 PM   #80  

Helloooooooooooo..so where is everyone????? its still windy and cold here..ive been trying to stay busy so i stay away from the kitchen..am trying to use all the info i learned but am finding that this carb counting (altho easy to do) that im hungry all the time..so what do you all do to fill up.. im eating salads and vegies some fruit but crave bread and crackers etc etc..my sl,s have come down some but not like i want ..hope you are all having a good week..im the one with no finger nails..hmmmmm are there carbs in them seriously im frustrated cant you tell..i guess i want instant success..and i know thats unrealistic..hope to see some of you back its to quiet in here.((((hugs)))))) rosey
Old 09-27-2005, 03:44 PM   #81  

Cool

Hi Rosey. This thread has been kind of quiet for awhile. Our weather has warmed up a bit. Cools down at night though, which is good. I lost another couple of lbs between Saturday's weigh-in and this morning so my clinic weigh-in tonight should be good. Rosey, you don't have to give up bread and other carbs, just keep them in moderation. All the sample menus I have been given allow for bread, just not a lot of it. Maybe half a bagel or one slice of whole grain toast will satisfy your cravings. A little brown rice -- not a whole big bowl full. The point is to make thim good carbs, not processed ones. Have a good day.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:50 PM   #82  

Hi rosetta.. yes it is quiet in here.. folks must be busy.. thanks for the support..i have not given up carbs.. it just that i was used to eating more thats why im the shapei am in.. and for months i have been eating what and how much i want and now REALITY sets in and im trying real hard to pay attention to what and how much i eat...im just hungry for example tonite i had baked chix breast(skinless) 1/2 small sweet potatoe( about a cups worth) and a huge salad with a small amt of fat free dressing..and altho im full im not satisfied.. whats up with that.. maybe its more mental.. anyways im determined.. way to go on your loss.. thats so awsome and i hopw you have good weigh in..((((((((hugs))))) for all rosey
Old 09-28-2005, 09:31 PM   #83  

Cool

Rosey, I know what you mean about feeling unsatisfied. I'm rarely hungry on my program, but about once a day, I start craving a big sandwich. Just want to get my teeth into something substantial. It's comfort food. It's gotten easier but I'll always have to watch those urges. It seems like you're on a good path. Stick with it and you'll see the rewards in improved health. My weigh-in was a little disappointing because it showed 9 lbs more than what I weighed at home in the morning. I expected a 6-7 lbs difference (because I'm undressed at home and it's first thing in the a.m. as opposed to 6 p.m. at the clinic). I wish those clinic weighins were in the a.m. Maybe next week I won't eat at all before weigh-in.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:39 AM   #84  
stbakd

last week i saw a dietican and she gave a diet. i'll know today if it worked. my sugars are up and down. wtg rose. glen
hefty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:45 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 280/275/150

Height: 5' 4"

Hi,
I've been visiting my son's and my sis's familys.
I have lost 3 lbs.
My numers have been as low as 129.
Never thought I'd see that.
just thought I'd chek in quick.
Have a good day.
oldwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:45 PM   #86  
No more tears!

Hello all,

Well i know i havent being on. Hurricane katrina stop me fora while. My power was off for a month so my diet went away because i have no way to cook or fix my food. we didnt have no food to eat so i have to eat whatever i could get. i think i gained a few pounds over dat time but i was still excercising. Well take care
BBWonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:56 AM   #87  
stbakd

wecome back bb. how much did you lose in the flood?
wtg carol. glen
Old 10-02-2005, 11:45 PM   #88  

Hello y'all,
I hope everyone is doing well. I have been working a lot again so sugars have been harder to control.
Melissa
MAGirardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 09:53 AM   #89  
stbakd

melissa try making your meals ahead so you don't eat the wrong foods.
glen
Old 10-04-2005, 03:06 PM   #90  

Morning everyone..its a crisp fall day here.. we had our first hard frost last night..winters not far away.. we usually have snow for halloween..not sure im ready for winter i am still struggling trying to stay on the locarb portion control diet.. my sugars have come down in to the 140,s better than what they were and im feeling better..hope you are all doing good too(((((hugs)))))) rosey