Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #361  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, it's important to have a plan that works for you. Stick with it and you will succeed. The pharmacy called me and told me my statin refill is way past due. I didn't want to tell them I am not taking the full dose, so I let them send it. Now I have enough to last me a very long time. I will wait until I have my next blood work to see if I need to go back on the full RX. I don't want to. My last cholesterol was 124, and I've heard that cholesterol CAN be too low for older people so that's when I lowered my dose. Doc doesn't know. It's my body, not his.

I am working toward getting back on JUDDD. I felt best when I did it, and I lost weight and brought my blood sugar down. Yesterday was my first DD and it was a little higher than 500 cals, but my first DD is always like that, as I ease back into the program. Today will still be low calorie, but higher than yesterday, just not a normal UD. I have been reading the book again and it inspires me to do this. Each time I read the book I see something I didn't see before. I still plan on downloading the Fasting book, but not just yet. I want to finish the JUDDD book and also a novel I'm reading before I download another book.

I have been so tired the past 2 days and I don't know why. The lilacs are fully in bloom and that could be it. My eyes are very watery and my nose is very sniffly. I hope once they are done blooming I will get back to normal.

Today I won't eat until I'm hungry. If that happens before supper time I will eat some sauteed kale with Feta cheese. I haven't had that for a while and I'm craving it. Who craves kale????? LOL I think my body likes getting those nutrients and misses them.

Everyone have a good day.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:29 AM   #362  

Hauling my body's back on the wagon slowly,,,,, yesterday wasn't too bad except for the popcorn I ate. Today will be better. I feel so sluggish eating so many carbs,,,and my hips are screaming at me. I know this does this to me so why do I do it? Last week I was out walking and walking feeling so energetic this week I feel like a slug. Time to straighten myself out again. Junk food is out of the house and I have a plan in place for today. One step at a time right?,,, right.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #363  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Looks like we are all working to get back on track today. I am too. I am working on my food plan. I saw an article yesterday which was from Diabetic Living online called Top 25 Power Foods for Diabetes. I tried to copy the info, but couldn't so I just printed the pictures of the foods which was all it would give me to print.

Carol Sue Kale is one of the power foods so enjoy. LOL The others were apples, asparagus, avocados, beans, blueberries and cranberries, broccoli, carrots, fish, flaxseed, garlic, melons, nuts, oatmeal (doesn't help me), quinoa, red grapefruit, red onions, red peppers, soy, spinach, tea, tomatoes and yogurt.

I'm going to search online to see if I can something similar for helping lower triglycerides too since that seems to be the only other problem I need to be eating to fix. I plan to take these foods I find and work around them to make. I still want to do fairly low carb, but have decided to use carbs from these groups. As someone said recently, carbs are not all starchy carbs which is true. I like fruit, dairy and of course veggies are carbs. Since these are foods that I do like, I've decided I choose my carbs from them. I don't like the way heavy starchy carbs make me feel. I personally don't think anyone would ever question how I pick my carbs. LOL Plus I will keep my 8 or 9 hr eating window.

Got up yesterday and DD was aching all over. So I called the doc's office and took him in to see the PA. They did another culture. She said there were 3 things showed up in the one before and she wanted to see if they all cleared up which she thinks they did. DD told her he did not want the same antibiotic again as it made him feel awful. I still think since it has 10% penicillin in it and he is allergic to penicillin that he can't take it. When I told her what nurse and EMT told us that his reaction was from that antibiotic, DD told her the pharmacist didn't want to give it to him, but finally did because DD said the doctor approved it. She said research says 99% of people allergic to penicillin can take it but the pharmacists don't believe it. My thought is "What if he is one of the 1% that can't?" Oh well. DD refused to take it again. Now we are waiting for results of the culture. Of course, DS and I talked later about how we really don't know all that he does or what he really eats. He went to the store Wednesday and bought his own food.

Today he is feeling a little better and is washing and cleaning the apartment which is nice because DH and I go over for me to set up his meds for the week and DH takes out his trash. It will be nice not to have to clean for him. I need to do some cleaning around here. He will be disappointed because we can't stay long as DH has to get back and mow our backyard. I paid to have it sodded and they didn't water it. Although we watered when we moved in, it is full of weeds and they grow so fast. He has to mow today because it is supposed to rain tomorrow night and Saturday. He has to use an old push mower someone gave my DBIL because he hasn't found his tools to put in a larger gate so he can get the riding mower back there and it wears him out. I want him to get that taken care of before it gets too hot which should be by June or July here in TX.

Well, time is passing fast so I need to get busy. I tried doing 30 minutes a day on bike, but just the few weeks of off and on again exercising and 30 minutes causes me to wake up in the night with my left knee hurting almost locking up on me. I know it is the weight I've gained and not doing the bike enough. So I'm back to 20 minutes each day until it gets strong again.

p.a. Like you, I know I'm going to pay when I do these things and I too wonder, "why do I do this?".

Any way we are all back on our plan. So here is to a successful OP day. I always start out good. I just need to get my act together and do good in the evening.

fatmad

Y'all have a great day.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:56 PM   #364  

Oh, I wanted to share one more thing. I got to thinking yesterday that I have beautiful clothes to wear when I lose about 50 lbs. They are clothes DH took me shopping to buy for our first trip after we married and I lost weight. I knew I had lost weight, but was surprised at how small the clothes were that I could wear. The strange thing is that I remember still wanting to wear clothes a little big because I still felt fat although everyone talked about how great I looked when we came to TX to visit my family.

I have a picture of me standing with clouds going over us (actually had my head in the clouds) in the Smokey Mtns. When I think of that picture, my thought is "I didn't know I looked that good" because I still felt fat although I did feel great. I lost that weight just eating like I plan to start eating again. I mostly ate fruit and veggies and protein, but did allow some starches in my plan and I actually never worried about how much fat was or wasn't in my diet. I decided yesterday that I want to wear those clothes again AND I want to feel as good as I did back then physically except for one thing. When I am able to wear those clothes again, I want to remember that I do look good in those clothes BECAUSE I'm NOT fat any more.

I honestly believe my attitude at that point will be the deciding point as to whether I am able to keep that weight off next time. And I do plan for there to be a next time. My thinking will have to change as my body weight changes.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #365  

Trish, eating the kale is what made my right hip stop hurting. I wanted to mention that to p.a. because she said her hips hurt when she eats too many carbs.

It's good to be so determined, like you are.

So far today I had a piece of DH's hard cooked egg, and a little square of cheese. I just went to the store and bought the stuff to make tacos, and I plan on eating mine in a bed of lettuce. I might have one on a tortilla, depending on how hungry I am after I eat the salad. So I don't know if I'm going to get to my kale today. Maybe I will cook it and eat it with my dinner as a side dish. I don't know if I would like it as much without the sprinkling of Feta cheese. I like most of the power foods and do include them in my diet when I can. I have some steel cut oats I bought and only tried once. I am going to try making a small portion and eating it once in a while. I just don't think of it. I went to the store today and forgot to buy eggs, so I probably only have a couple left now. I forgot to put them on my list, and I went according to my list this time.

I could lose 50 lbs and have clothes to wear all the way down, without going shopping. Even bras, LOL, but maybe not undies. I kept my bras thinking I would give them to DH's daughter, but then she got bigger so they would not fit her either. She is built like her grandma was, big on top and small on the bottom.

p.a. I love popcorn but I have to stop eating it. The last time I ate it I got abdominal pains the same as I was having before I needed my bowel surgery and that scared me half to death. I swore I would never eat it again. I don't ever want to need that surgery again. It was way worse than my heart surgery and so was the recovery.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:27 AM   #366  

I was reading this very interesting article from Dr Mercola how moving effects insulin resistance.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fit...rid=1978194251

The top 2 points I got out of this article were that 10 min of walking after a meal has a better effect on insulin resistance than 30 min of exercise once a day. The second was that you should take yourself out of nutritional ketosis once a week, rather than attempt to stay in ketosis continuously. Remember, he is talking about insulin resistance, not necessarily weight loss.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #367  

Me again. LOL Trish, low carb is supposed to drop triglycerides really fast. I don't know how low carb you have to go to see results, though. Maybe you will find that out in your research.

We are going on a day trip, leaving soon, so I downloaded the Guide to Fasting to read in the car. I can read in a moving vehicle as long as we are on a highway, not a winding road. Reading makes the trip go faster.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:26 PM   #368  

I guess I need to do low carb. I have the desire. I just need the will to make it happen. Thanks for sharing. I am thinking that I need to order the JUDDD book. I'm waiting until I know it won't go on my credit card until next month. LOL

I guess I need to change my exercise routine to 10 minutes after meals. Thanks for sharing.

Well, my DD called me this afternoon and sounded so good. He had a call from his primary and they did find something in the culture they did Monday and the doctor sent a new antibiotic to pharmacy. DD said, "I knew I wasn't crazy". He was so thrilled that they did find what was wrong. I was too. Hopefully he will finally get over this bladder infection.

My DS got a call last night and our step-brother's son died yesterday. He had heart trouble. He set down in this recliner and just went to sleep and never woke up. That is how my Bill died. My DSB is a little bit younger than me. His wife just had open heart surgery in December and he has heart trouble as well. My heart breaks for all of them. They only had the one son and a daughter. So, so sad.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:54 AM   #369  

Whe had a terrible storm at our house on Thursday. The worst wind I have ever seen in my life, with hail. We did not have any damage. There is a tree down in our yard that came from our neighbors yard, ripped out by the roots, and she has another tree down too, and the house on the other side lost some siding. Up the street a carport was in the street, all mangled. Three miles away they just had rain, but no high wind or hail.

Trish, most people consider low carb to be 20 gm a day or less. I don't know if that's what Dr Mercola was referring to. I don't go that low. I am usually around 50-70 and there are some days I'm as low as 20 but not on a daily basis. I know I still have insulin resistance. I wish it was as easy to check insulin levels as it is blood glucose. Even if there was a home test like there is with A1c, it would help. I am curious to know what mine is. Someone on another thread told me that Dr Mercola's advice is not as reliable as Dr Fung's. Although Dr Fung has books out there for you to buy, he is not always talking about them. All of Dr Mercola's posts are selling his book at the end. I always take into consideration who is giving out free information, and who is trying to sell something.

For a while there, I was doing my regular afternoon exercise and also walking on my treadmill for 15 min after dinner, which is my largest meal. It did help with my blood sugar readings, but I didn't keep it up. Once I get in that recliner for the evening, it's all over. Most of the time when we go shopping it is in the morning before the stores get crowded, but I find that I feel better when we go in the evening after dinner and I get that extra exercise walking in the stores. I tend not to be active in the evening, and I really need to change that.

I started reading the Guide to Fasting and it is interesting information. So far, they are talking about extended fasting. I am more interested in reading about the short term fasting, which is more than likely what I would do. I don't see myself going for days, although I learned never to say never. I went 6 days without eating in the hospital, on two separate occasions and it wasn't really that bad after the first day, but it was different because at home, food is readily available, whereas at the hospital it was not, so I had no choice. DH could have brought food in for me, but I would have run the risk of damaging my bowel which needed to rest after my surgery on it. It's different when it's done in a controlled setting.

I'm glad to hear their have pinpointed your Dad's problem and are on the way to healing.

Trish, JUDDD is not low carb. It is considered IF with calorie counting, not carbs. UD is to be whatever you want, and some people do have sweets etc on UD. I choose not to because of my diabetes, and actually, in the book, Dr Johnson recommends eating high nutrition on both DD and UD. The DD will help lower your insulin, but I don't know how badly that would be offset if you ate starchy foods on UD.

I'm sorry to hear of the death of your step-nephew. It must be very difficult to lose a child. So many younger people have heart diseases and don't suspect it because they are young. May he rest in peace.

p.a. I don't recall you saying if your doctor checked insulin levels. Most don't unless you specifically ask for it. They don't consider it important. I would think your levels are good because you mostly say under 20 gm of carb per day.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #370  

FYI I just did some googling about Dr Mercola. There was site after site claiming that he is a quack, and one said he was actually sued and told to stop making certain claims. I didn't read the details, but now I will take anything he says with a grain of salt. Some of what he says I have heard from others like Dr Fung also, so maybe some of what he says is true, such as exercise helps reduce insulin resistance. I have heard that from others.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 04-22-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #371  

Carol Sue Thanks for the heads up on Dr. Mercola. I usually don't read a lot of his stuff mainly because some of what he said didn't jive with others and like you say he was always selling a book or something. I have read in other places that it is better to exercise after your largest meal of the day and I did that for a while and actually felt better. I've also heard that exercising 10 min 3 times a day was better although I had never heard it was to be after meals. I am going to try it. I did 10 minutes after drinking my morning Slimfast shake and it was so easy to do that 1 mile and I have 2 more to do although I just might do the additional 20 minute/2 mile after my main meal. I plan to have another shake this evening as a 3rd meal trying to stop this night time eating.

WOW!!! What a storm. I'm so glad you are okay without damage like others had. God was looking over you girl.

I bought the JUDDD kindle today and I read the part Why this diet. I am very impressed already. I read some of the reviews yesterday and liked what I read so I think it will be a great help for me. As far as low carbing goes? I really don't care if it isn't low carb. And I already know I cannot do a 20 gram low carb plan any more. It just isn't me. If I can do JUDDD and get the results he says I can, I will be happy to do it. I hope his DD recipes will help me to be able to do them. I've decided that I could possibly make my DD Tuesday and Saturday, but not sure if I can make Thursday an alternate day since DH and I go out on Thursday when we go to for me to do Daddy's medicine. I don't always eat with DD and DS on Fridays. I go out with them, but I usually have a diet Dr. Pepper. So I could eat out with DH on Thursday and make Friday my DD. I'm hoping when DD gets over this bladder infection and begins to feel more alert and confident in his ability to do it that he will be able to set his meds up on his own. I know he is so ready to feel good and be independent again but I don't want him to do it before he is ready so I will work around his schedule. I do believe that IF will work better for me than LC and I just hope I can work out an IF plan that I can do. I will read the Alternate Day Diet book and then decide which plan I can live with. I also know I cannot do a long fast while taking Trulicity. So whatever plan I choose will have to fit in with that for now. Even when I do have a high FBG reading it isn't more than 150s. I never want to see any 200s ever again.

Have a great day.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #372  

Trish, I hope to be able to do the Alternate Day Diet eating mostly low carb and try to have my UDs mostly OMAD, with 2 meals on some days. I want to have my scrambled eggs at least a couple times a week. I have a hard time getting the DDs in because of the way the days fall and how DD eats, so I will just do as many as I can, but they might not be every other day. I just won't have 2 DD in a row. IF a DD turns into an UD due to circumstances beyond my control, I tend to get upset about it, then the DDs go out the window altogether, so if I don't have a plan set in stone, I can be more lenient.

Because of our cold winters, most of the houses here are brick to grade and it's harder to damage. A few have just a bit of siding for decoration, like the house next to us with siding around the peak in the roof. That's where it got blown off. We have no siding. One of our two bird houses is leaning and needs to be straightened up, but there are nests in them so we don't want to disturb them. One nest blew out of the tree in front of our house and I felt so bad for the mother robin, trying to figure out where her nest went. Sad.

In the past I had heard that you have to exercise at least 12 minutes before you start to burn fat. I don't know if that is still what they're saying. I have heard about splitting your exercise into 3 10 minutes sessions, but I thought that was for people who say they can't fit in a 30 minute session. My most convenient time to exercise is shortly after noon while my soaps are on. Watching TV makes me forget I'm exercising. If I don't do it then, I usually don't get around to it. But with the treadmill, I CAN walk for 10-15 min after dinner, but I don't always remember, or I conveniently forget. LOL
Old 04-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #373  

Carol Sue I read a lot of the book and I'm convinced this is the way of eating that I have been waiting for. I have always believed that there had to be a healthy way to lose weight and be healthier when you reach goal. I also had a man I worked for in a health food store who turned to me in his office one day and said "Pat, always remember, that anything can be cured if you only knew how to cure it." I always that was one of those few statements that comes to me from the Lord through that person that He wants me to know and never forget. That is why I am so impressed by the research this man has put into and based his Alternate Day Diet on. It is scientifically based and I have seen my DH atrial valve go from not functioning to softening up from a vitamin mineral regimen that his DD and I figured out from one she found that a cardiologist used on his patients after their 1st heart attack. I met that doctor and he wouldn't take my DH. I asked him, "What if I put my husband on the same diet and vitamin regimen you have those patients on?" He said, "It won't hurt him, but it won't help him either." Supposedly the only thing that would help was to replace the valve with a pigs valve.

That doctor was wrong. When DH was sent to the cardiologist for approval of his surgery when he had prostate cancer, the cardiologist took a long time before coming in to talk to us. When he finally came in, he said, "I know you had this because I can see it in the records, etc. But all I can tell you is that you don't have it now." He approved his surgery. The only thing I gave him different was I added Alpha Lipoic Acid because it rebuilds damaged tissue. I will always believe that helped turn that hard nonfunctioning tissue to a soft working tissue. I was amazed when I read in this book that is one of the minerals Dr. Johnson recommends taking. BTW DH and I still take that everyday. I believe it helps us keep from having too much damage from diabetes. And that is what convinces me that JUDDD is the best way to reach my goals. I want this to work for me so that I can be the example to my family and friends who need to know how to do this.

So I skipped over to read more on how to do the diet. I went on Dr. Johnson's website and let it calculate the amount of calories for 20%, 25% and 30% DD. I did this because he said that you could do 25% up to 35%. I don't want to do more than 900 calories so I chose up to 30% days. I will shoot for 20 to 25 percent which is 581 to 726 calories on DD. However the 871 calorie 30% days would be for days I have no control over like you face with DH eating. My UD calories allowed are 2903 calories which I can't see myself ever eating that much, but will give me some freedom for when DH wants to go to some place like Fuddruckers. LOL I think I've blown it when I go up to or over 1800 calories. So I guess I don't do so bad on those days after all and hopefully, my DD will compensate. I still have the 5% I could use in a pinch if I needed to on DD, but I do not plan to have to do that. Maybe by then, I will be able to do a OMAD on DD once in a while and not have to use more than the 30%. I am determined to make this work. Also he talked about walking a mile to earn 100 calories. So that could be an option on those unexpected DD issues. So I think it could be worked around. For example, in order to do a DD on Thursday when DH and I go out to eat, I could make that a OMAD and drink loads of water and other non-caloric drinks to feel full.

Also that is allowing moderate exercise of 3 - 5 days. Since he thinks it takes 20 minutes to do 1 mile on average ad I do 2 miles in that time, I felt safe to call my exercise moderate. I don't think I will break up the exercise time however, I will try to do it after my meal on DD that fall on exercise days.

Today will be my first DD and I will have 1 or 2 shakes and a meal and stop when I get to 700 calories. I really don't want to do a 800 cal on my DD if I can help it. Oh, I also want to keep doing low carb with this. I just don't want to do 20 g low. From what I have read of other low carbers 70 to 75g aren't too high and probably wouldn't be on this woe.

I have my plan so I'll let you know tomorrow how it went.

Have good day everybody.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 04-23-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:50 PM   #374  

I thought I would share my experience when I drank the shake. I waited until noon to drink it. My bg before the shake was 123. I put half a banana in a bottle of Slimfast creamy vanilla and put it in the blender with crushed ice. An hour later, I felt kind of funny so I decided to see how it was affecting my bg. The reading was 121. Down 2 pts. Strange isn't it. It will be interesting to see what the reading is before we eat. Don't like the feeling but maybe it won't do me this way every time. I wonder if doing it with the fasting until noon caused it. Just sharing.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:13 PM   #375  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi friends: have been lurking and not posting much. Weight is below 173 but not enough to move the ticker yet.
SO its been 3 months since I (re) started this weight loss journey. I must say this is the longest I have stuck to a plan in my life.
I have lost 14 pounds. So about a pound a week.
Yes its worth it, but it sure is tough.
I has gotten easier in some ways, like knowing whats ok for me or not, but harder in others. I do feel hard done by and that I am missing out on treats a lot.
I want them as much as ever.
Yesterday I ate some grape tomatoes, and DH couldn't believe I ate so many. I laughed, and reminded him about my food addiction. I said, thats like me asking if he drank the whole six pack of beer in the old days when he was drinking, and being surprised that he would drink that much. He laughed and said I was right, he still has trouble thinking of food that way, and that I would have a problem. He said he will try to be more mindful about it.
I am testing bfs about 3 times a week, and am keeping under 6.0 as long as I stick to plan. If I up my carbs, then I need a light bedtime snack (a few peanuts will do) to keep from having the dawn effect and dumping glucose from my liver into my bloodstream.
I went back to optometry for a check on the little bleed in my eye and its resolved. Its a university clinic so I get a different student every time, but the supervising doc came in to check on things, and he is also type 2 diabetic. Said these bleeds are rarely diabetic retinopathy unless one is out of control for a long time. so very reassuring.
I also have had borderline high pressures in my eyes for a long time, and get that checked regularly for glaucoma, as my mother had it, and am going back in a couple of weeks for some repeat testing of my peripheral vision and a new scan of the optic nerve. This is baseline testing, and I will get that done yearly.
enough for today. Its really sunny out side and I should work in the garden for a while.
best wishes for a happy Sunday friends
Closed Thread