Old 07-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #76  
Struggling Member

S/C/G: 325/...../220

Height: 5' 11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhale15 View Post
Do you get any other types of fruit where you live?
Well yes all of the regular kinds of fruit that you would expect to find, just fewer varieties and usually only asian varieties.
I don't buy melons, grapes, mangos, kiwis and strawberries and all of that.
I was just mostly interested in the ready-to-eat opportunities like pears and apples and stuff. I don't want to get involved with preparation intensive selections etc. I just read your post and thought about what a disappointment the apple/pear issue is for me. They're not inedible; I'm just tired of them.
darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #77  
Just watch me ...

Oh, I see....well, mangos are easy, although the good ones are messy But apples and pears are definitely the carry-along fruits
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #78  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhale15 View Post
Hey CurvyNerd, Sugar-free July is so successful.....I know it's early in the month, but have you thought at all about an August focus ? Will we continue?
I am kind of scared to make plans for August until it's closer. I want to prove to myself that I can do this for July. I'm just taking it one day at a time, one meal at a time. If I, personally, do anything, it would just be to extend the sugar free to August.

Today was good. I am on the upper range of my calories today because I ate a fast food hamburger and fries for dinner. I've been quite low on my fat intake and figured that might be why I was craving one. It was okay but I only ate 3/4 of it and I was full. That was a late lunch/early dinner. Sugar Free is still going good. I hope everybody else had a great day!
CurvyNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #79  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Okay, I just saw this thread and I'm in. Not a big sugar junkie, but I am a type 2 diabetic and I am controling it with diet and exercise alone. Sometimes I let sugar sneak back in, so being accountable about my sugar intake is an important key to success.

I rarely eat processed foods and foods with added sugars. But in the late afternoon, if I'm feeling sluggish, I experience huge carb cravings in general. And I've been known to burn rubber all the way to Starbucks to grab an oatmeal cookie and a trenta unsweetened iced coffee with cream. I don't want to do that any more, but I do need to figure out what I need to do to keep those conditions from happening.

So for me, staying off sugar/carbs requires the following:
  1. A good night's sleep
  2. Regular sleep pattern
  3. Eating adequate protein and vegetables
  4. Drinking plenty of water
  5. Exercising daily
That's what I'm accountable for on this thread. Thanks for starting this!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #80  
Just watch me ...

Good morning all,
Hi CurvyNerd, That's fine - it's all good!
Hi Georgia, welcome aboard For your late afternoon slump, have you tried protein + fruit?

Have a happy and junk-free day everyone !
Old 07-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #81  
Stay Focused & Committed

S/C/G: 237/205/184

Height: 5" 5.5

Good morning all,

Georgia.

WOW you all are doing so good! We are already on day 10 of this challenge.

Yesterday I had a few too many nuts and I also ate some dark chocolate. Today I am going to stay away from those two things because the scale was not where I wanted it to be this morning.

I hope you all have a great day!
GettinFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #82  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Thanks for the warm welcome, chicks!

Scale was really kind to me this morning. Once the temps start pushing into the upper 90s I have a week of bloat. So I increased water, took some dandelion capsules and dialed way back on the carbs (that I let sneak back into my diet during vacation) and I dropped 5 lbs...yes, I spent a LOT of time in the bathroom yesterday. Oy!

For my afternoon slump yesterday I actually just took a nap with my dog. An hour of nap then right back to work (I work at a Pilates studio). I felt pretty good, but then couldn't get to bed till midnight. There's got to be a balance in there somewhere, because I NEED the consistent sleep at night.

I know that my blood sugar naturally dips in the afternoon and that's why I get ravenous for the carbs. I've actually tried pushing lunch to a later time to deal with it, but I caved to habit and wasn't consistent with that. I'm still working out the bugs in the plan.

Protein and fruit...will try that, Exhale. There's a lovely watermelon in my fridge right now. I found a recipe for scallop and watermelon ceviche...maybe I'll have some of that!

Have a great sugar-free day!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #83  

Hey Exhale 15 Glade to hear that the no sugar diet is working for you. I have noticed that when I cut the sugar I feel more mentally focused and positive about myself and my life....and oh yeah....going to yoga in the mornings helps with mental clarity and focus as well.

Cool....good stuff right...health and fitness rock!!! Cheers to looking great and feeling even better through out all the stages of our lives!
Lulu Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #84  

I made a huge mistake today. I've had a box of sugar free cake mix for over a year and decided to make them. I ended up eating 4 cupcakes and drinking a coke That's my first cheat so I'm now 9 out of 10 days. I am not supposed to have artificial sweeteners in the first place so I should have known better. My head is killing me and I feel so sick. This was not worth it at all. The soda didn't even taste good I don't know why I did that either.

I'm not going to wait till tomorrow to get back on track. That happens right now.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #85  
Just watch me ...

Got through the day without caving in, although I was again tempted in the grocery store. I bargained with myself that I'd stick with some black plums, and that I could go back out if that didn't 'work'. Lo and Behold, 2 black plums and a glass of iced water later I am happily 'sugar' free for another day.

CurvyNerd, I dunno, maybe we do these things to ourselves to, on some level, reinforce the 'right thing'. You'll feel better soon

Lulu, what type of yoga do you practice?

We're all about 1/3rd done and doing well.

Have a nice evening all.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #86  
Empress/Queen

I have been refined sugar free for almost a month now, feels good.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #87  
Struggling Member

I had my only fail for the week yesterday - I plowed my mother-in-law's garden and it was so hot that I stopped at a roadside vending machine on the way home and drank two 500ml Sprites.

I should have brought some water with me. I should have bought unsweetened wheat tea in the vending machine instead of sprites. I felt a little light headed so I thought the sugar boost might help. I lost 2 lb last night but it was all water loss from the outside work.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #88  

Darius I am learning to take water with me everywhere no matter what. I only drank one 16 oz bottle yesterday and I think that's part of why I caved.

Today is a new day and we can do it!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #89  
Struggling Member

Curvy I know just what you meant when you said "the soda didn't even taste good". I ate part of a small bag of potato chips yesterday, and I knew I shouldn't do it because they make me retain water like a farm animal. While I was eating them I thought they tasted like cardboard so I just stopped and put them away. Those guilty feelings can really ruin a taste sensation huh!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #90  
Just watch me ...

Good morning all

I'm finding a huge reduction in my sugar cravings....the 'shark circle' I do at the grocery is more habit and thinking 'what if', than actually wanting the stuff. Yesterday I had a lot of fresh fruit salad - it was very refreshing and I'm noticing fruit is really sweet, but sweet with complex flavors...... nice....

Have a great day everyone...

Addition: screwed up ! Chocolate-covered almonds - ate some, threw out the rest....waste of calories and money and I get a for the day On a positive note, I feel bad physically and I don't like this feeling. The chocolate-covered almonds were kinda my last 'sugar thing' and I'm seeing today that 'sugar' is no longer on the menu for me. Had I eaten some fruit, or put some whole fruit in a blender w/iced water, I'd be feeling great right now.

So, as it turns out, today is a great day after all.

Last edited by Exhale15; 07-11-2012 at 06:21 PM.