The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 04-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #541  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

It bothers me that women who have lost so much and are so close to goal are still there...but the larger people ASKED to go home in most cases. Or threw weigh-ins. They didn't WANT to be there. That bothers me more, really, than someone smaller staying.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #542  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelbelle View Post
I don't think she looks fat, per se. When she was on the show in her workout clothes she looked very thin. I just think that in the scene at home, her new hairdo and the clothes she was wearing were very unflattering on her. I think they made her look bigger than she is.
Yes! I think she might look a lot better with a shorter haircut (the curls are cut but they make her look bigger. Plus, she's pretty curvy and she picked a jacket that stops right at her hips so it made them look a lot wider. I was hoping she would make it to the make-over week because I figured she was one who could really use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
It bothers me that women who have lost so much and are so close to goal are still there...but the larger people ASKED to go home in most cases. Or threw weigh-ins. They didn't WANT to be there. That bothers me more, really, than someone smaller staying.
I don't really mind that the smaller women are still there. They've worked their butts off to stay there (and are never the ones with the lower weight loss for who goes below the yellow line). Plus, if people don't want to be at the ranch than that's their problem, let the ones who want to be there stay!

Rulon is just ... weird. Not sure what to make of that. I don't think it was fair to let Tara compete. I kind of got the impression that did that because otherwise it would be too obvious that Rulon would win? I wonder if they actually expected her to win?

I do think, though, that i might be very good for Rulon continue at home. It needs to learn that this is a long term thing and not just for a competition. I don't think he gets that still. He keeps saying that his goal weight is his competition weight, which is 15lbs away but there's no way that's all he has to loose. He's much older and no longer a wrestler so I'd guess he probably doesn'T have the same muscle mass as before....

ETA: wow, and poor Ken. That's horrible. I'm glad he was able to deal with that, I just can't imagine.

Last edited by runningfromfat; 04-27-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #543  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggirls View Post
I think Rulon was so upset about not getting his picture on the cereal box he had to leave.
lol! that was weird Rulon just left since he seemed to be the biggest game player. but I also felt it was a little unfair Tara was able to get in on their challenge, she had her time on the show and she won that same challenge when she was on... seemed like it would of been fair to give the contestants on now their chance to win... but I really didn't want Rulon to win either!

I think Rulon should of threw the weigh in to go home so someone else that wants to be there could stay another week.. They already shown he had access to foods, so just salt up and don't work out as much. I think that also proves he didn't care much for anyone else there, even with the couple of people from his original 'unknown' team. Unless Kaylee and him both decided to go home so he left so she could throw the weigh in.

Could also be true he was breaking the rules.. was he leaving campus to get the junk food before? Could of also been using a pay phone to call home. Maybe he really did miss his wife. Hopefully we see what he looks like at the finale and if he kept losing or regained.

I'm hoping one of the girls win this season!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #544  
Token Vulcan

Apparently, Arthur wasn't the only one burning bridges. I didn't like Rulon much from the start (liked Justin, though, was hoping he'd make the final four). Anyway, first Arthur said in an interview that Justin and Kaylee offered to go home instead of him and Rulon "wouldn't allow it." Now Ken is saying he and Austin had a falling out with Rulon over his treatment of the others. ( I hope Justin let him have it good when he got home but he probably didn't.) Weird how they didn't even show a follow-up on Rulon. Wonder if he'll show up at the finale. I think the only person so far not to show up at a finale was Paul Marks (Season 5) and he was literally deathly ill.
There were rumors about Sione and Filipe going off campus and pigging out but they didn't get kicked off so who knows?
Anyway, happy Rulon is gone and we don't have to hear about the ex-Olympian and shoe-in for the finale and all that. None of the people left are anybody I was favoring for the finale (my four picks are all gone).. Please, please send Hannah home next week. I cannot take that chatter anymore.

I had mixed feelings about allowing Tara to compete. On the surface, I didn't think it was fair to allow a former competitor from an earlier season to play against a current season's cast. However, given my dislike of Rulon, I was glad he didn't win. Although, the ending seemed too "picture perfect."

Kaylee said she and Vance went to Justin's workout class. Cute.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #545  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
I don't really mind that the smaller women are still there. They've worked their butts off to stay there (and are never the ones with the lower weight loss for who goes below the yellow line). Plus, if people don't want to be at the ranch than that's their problem, let the ones who want to be there stay!
I completely agree with this. Whether people need to stay is one thing, but that's not the underlying principle of the show. It's like Survivor (which I stopped watching after Season 1) - it's all about having friends and alliances that will cover your back and about getting rid of those who are the biggest threat to you personally (although the latter doesn't really seem to be that obvious on the TBL). Nobody deserved to win more than Ali Vincent in Season 5 - she worked her butt off and lost like 50% of her weight. Yes, there were older and fatter contestants on the show but should they win if she worked harder?

Although trekkiegirl and I don't see eye to eye when it comes to Brett's sex appeal (), I do agree with her re Rulon. I cannot stand to hear another mention of him having been in the Olympics yakitty schmakitty bla bla bla.

Last edited by Tomato; 04-28-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #546  
focused and aiming

I remember back in episode 1 or 2 (one of the first episodes anyway) there was a female contestant that I think either didn't go to the finale or showed up without having lost much at all. Can't remember which. I do remember she had long dark hair. Anyone know who I'm talking about?
Old 04-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #547  

S/C/G: 183/183/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
Whether people need to stay is one thing, but that's not the underlying principle of the show. It's like Survivor (which I stopped watching after Season 1) - it's all about having friends and alliances that will cover your back and about getting rid of those who are the biggest threat to you personally
And this is what I mean about reeavulating the show. Yeah, maybe some viewers want the reality show type drama, but that's not why I watch the Biggest Loser. I watch it to learn, to be inspired, and to feel a little less lonely in my journey. Every time they start talking about "alliances" and stabbing people in the back, I fast forward or go do something actually important. It shouldn't be so Game Show.

And if they still insist on being that, then maybe they should suspend contestant elimination and go full American Idol and let the viewers vote people off.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #548  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Quote:
And this is what I mean about reeavulating the show. Yeah, maybe some viewers want the reality show type drama, but that's not why I watch the Biggest Loser. I watch it to learn, to be inspired, and to feel a little less lonely in my journey. Every time they start talking about "alliances" and stabbing people in the back, I fast forward or go do something actually important. It shouldn't be so Game Show.

And if they still insist on being that, then maybe they should suspend contestant elimination and go full American Idol and let the viewers vote people off.
I don't know... for me by the end of the season I don't care so much about it because I figure the contestants should've have already learned enough to go home and do this on their own (and I actually think that's a very valuable experience). At the beginning, though, yeah, it gets annoying. DH was so upset that Arther got voted out that he stopped watching completely. On the other hand, Arther has obviously done great on his own...

Plus, one big difference between this and survivor is that many times there's an obvious choice on who will go home. At the beginning many times the pairs have already discussed who should go home first and I'm assuming they have thought about this thoroughly and probably know themselves better than the entire US nation.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #549  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:

And for every person who thinks like you, there are just as many who enjoy watching the show for what it is. The show is what it is....a TV competition show. It shouldn't be anything other than what the network/studio has created it to be. NBC bears no responsibility to change their entertainment programming to match the desires and needs of viewers for a different type of show. Instead, change the channel and watch something like "Heavy" to meet all those other needs.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #550  

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutt View Post
And for every person who thinks like you, there are just as many who enjoy watching the show for what it is. The show is what it is....a TV competition show. It shouldn't be anything other than what the network/studio has created it to be. NBC bears no responsibility to change their entertainment programming to match the desires and needs of viewers for a different type of show. Instead, change the channel and watch something like "Heavy" to meet all those other needs.
Except that NBC markets it as a show about transformation; changing peoples lives. To undermine it by saying it's simply just a competition show makes both the network, and everyone involved seem like they're fake. They have the guise of actually helping people change themselves, but what you say implies that it's all about the money and ratings. That's just sad to me.

While some of the eliminated contestants I was okay with seeing go, they're not all just "getting what's coming to them". That goes for all seasons, not just this one. And just because they make some enemies on a TV show doesn't make them bad people. They're no less deserving because they ticked someone off.

All I'm saying is that they should at least attempt to pretend like that give a flip about the contestants, some of whom have been in seriously unhealthy states. And if they want to be JUST a "competition show" they should just cut all the crap and join the ranks of Bridezillas and Jersey Shore.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #551  

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Except that NBC markets it as a show about transformation; changing peoples lives. To undermine it by saying it's simply just a competition show makes both the network, and everyone involved seem like they're fake. They have the guise of actually helping people change themselves, but what you say implies that it's all about the money and ratings. That's just sad to me.

why can't it be about both? NBC is a business that can't produce anything if they don't make a profit and they can't make a profit if they don't have the ratings. That goes for any show that is on the air. After you accept that as the basis it can be about transformation, or delivering the news, or forensics people who wear high heels. But the money has to be there no matter what the show is about.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #552  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrypie View Post
But the money has to be there no matter what the show is about.
And I'm sure it would be regardless of how the elimination process was set up. So altering the eliminations so that people like Courtney wouldn't get auto-eliminated, or so that Moses wouldn't feel the need to step out for Olivia, would hurt the network none.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #553  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

I cannot stand every time Brett says "cap-whherra"
Old 04-28-2011, 07:41 PM   #554  
Token Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
Although trekkiegirl and I don't see eye to eye when it comes to Brett's sex appeal (), I do agree with her re Rulon. I cannot stand to hear another mention of him having been in the Olympics yakitty schmakitty bla bla bla.
Tomato, are you sure you mean me when talking about Brett? I hardly ever mention him, I can take or leave him. I'm not even sure which eye you mean, yours or mine, sees him as sexy and which doesn't, lol.

Why is it, though, the show seems to pick the most annoying talkers to give so much commentary? It's bad enough when they repeat something that was said or done 5 seconds earlier ("So Alison walks in the room and tells us blah, blah, blah" and we're all like "blah, blah, blah...") but do they have to pick the speed-talking valley-girl, about-to-hyperventilate, contestant to do it. And, funny, when she went on the trip with her sister (when Olivia won the prize) they talked about how strong they were and suddenly one is up for elimination and "no, we're not ready to go home, we don't know how to handle it yet."

Last edited by trekkiegirl; 04-28-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #555  

S/C/G: 199/160/149

Height: 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
I cannot stand every time Brett says "cap-whherra"
I agree