The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-26-2007, 12:07 PM   #121  
In Pursuit

S/C/G: 225 / 209 / 180

Height: 5' 4"

I thought the challenge of offering unlimited calories for a 3 pound credit ("for the team") was so counter-productive. The people that ate their minds out will be paying for that indiscression for weeks. Although Patti still showed a significant loss, I wouldn't want to be in her body for a couple of weeks!

I agree - GO JERRY!
Old 09-26-2007, 12:09 PM   #122  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I don't think Jerry was short-changed, anymore than any contestant ever voted off in the history of the show. It's part of the game, and the little speeches each contestant gives before displaying their vote are part of the "soap opera" stuff for me. I can understand why people feel they have to give a justification for their vote, but it boils down to being part of the game's workings.

I believe the producers could probably make a villain out of any participant. Wasn't part of the reason Jillian wasn't participating last season was the way she was portrayed (all of the witchy behavior being included, but editing out most of the compassion)? If the contestants are working half as hard as the show portrays, I would bet there isn't a player who hasn't shown "negativity" in some way, complaining or snapping at someone, or whining about missing their families... any of which could be played up, or edited out for an episode. I guess I'm just so nosy, I want to know what the show isn't showing us.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:12 PM   #123  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I also thought the challenge was a bit cruel (but hey, as many people have pointed out, that's part of the "entertainment" of the show), but I disagree that the players who indulged will necessarily suffer for it. Both, had very high losses for the week, and I believe a good part of it was because of the "Wendi effect" that some of the WW members have expressed here. A high or higher calorie day once in a while (as long as it's once in a while, and not frequently) can actually boost metabolism. Now what they chose to eat may be a different story.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #124  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

I think I would have voted like the one gal (bad with names) who said it was a "total mistake/she was sorry she wrote this other gals name down?" Was it "Kai" that voted for "Nicole?" It was a vote for the gal right next to her to go home . . . that gal so far is my least favorite Blue - may be editing, but she just doesn't seem "into it."

I was glad that Jerry looked so good on the Update!

This is my first time ever watching TBL and I find it to be fascinating as well as inspirational. I've been a huge grandaddy reality show of them all - Survivor - fan, lo these many years and what I like about TBL so far is that altho' most reality shows kind of copy Survivor - TBL doesn't seem to have (at least by the way the voting has gone) the whole "forming alliances" kind of outcome - altho' this may be edited out - the actual vote doesn't seem to have a "block" of voters, ya know?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:08 PM   #125  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Aud - you haven't seen the manipulation bits yet, that is probably coming up when it gets down to 2 or 3 on one team and everyone is pulling out the stops to make sure that they don't get voted off. Oh yes there will be alliances formed etc, in that way it is no different than the other shows.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:16 PM   #126  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

I think that voting Jerry off this early in the game was not a great idea. If you have big losers that keeps you from going to the elimination table. I love Bob but his team I do not like. Did you see Nicole roll her eyes while listening to Kae's explanation about voting for her. They could so skip that part about why they picked the person they did. Its BS!!!! I think Bob is starting to play the "game" too. I could not believe he agreed with the team about soso (I can't remember his name) being the one to take the fall for the team. Soso is a bit combative isn't he? His first thought is to yell. I think no one on that team has a chance of becoming the Biggest Loser.

My money is on Phil (right)? The athlete from the Red team. Black team-do not like them at all. Especially Holly--she is pretty cocky but can't back up her words.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:45 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

What drives me bananas is when somebody says that they are voting somebody off because they are so strong that they know they can succeed at home. What a load of crap. They try to make it sound like a compliment to be voted off.

I did enjoy the shocked looks on everybody's faces when they were losing tiny amounts. They have them so conditioned to expect big losses that they couldn't fathom losing only 2 pounds.

I wish they would show more of what they eat. Every once in awhile they go over a food topic but you don't really see their meals. I'd be really interested in their food choices.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #128  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin41 View Post
I wish they would show more of what they eat. Every once in awhile they go over a food topic but you don't really see their meals. I'd be really interested in their food choices.
I agree. I'd love to see a blog where they list what they ate, what they did for exercise, etc. Honestly though, I guess that's why I come here instead of the BL website. I think the folks here at 3fatchicks could really teach the players a thing or two. I see so many people who are doing it everyday on their own, and they are really much more inspiring to me than any reality show contestant.

I think they should let the home audience vote off players.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:48 PM   #129  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I also thought the challenge was a bit cruel (but hey, as many people have pointed out, that's part of the "entertainment" of the show), but I disagree that the players who indulged will necessarily suffer for it. Both, had very high losses for the week, and I believe a good part of it was because of the "Wendi effect" that some of the WW members have expressed here. A high or higher calorie day once in a while (as long as it's once in a while, and not frequently) can actually boost metabolism. Now what they chose to eat may be a different story.
This is true...one day I ate a Whopper from Burger King and lost 2lbs the next day, lol.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:56 PM   #130  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Oh I do hope that have that some season where they actually do a live season and the home audience votes for their favourites! That would be so much more realistic than what it seems to be now. They could concentrate on losing weight and not worry about the plotting of their teammates.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:29 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 247/229.4/147

Height: 5'2"

I actually like the Black team but I'm rooting for Phil to win from the red team. He made me cry with that call home, I think he's cute now but he is going to be so hot when that weight comes off. I'm gonna miss Jerry, that was a big mistake. i wonder what's up with the "campus is closing" stuff. Do you think they are gonna have to go without gym equipment and stuff or just be segregated from the other teams?
Old 09-26-2007, 04:28 PM   #132  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

I dont think they'd ever do a live time show. The results on the show would be the same but remember they get another 5 months at home before the finale to make some serious changes.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 159/TICKER/110

Height: 5'1

I'm also rooting for Phil, he just seems really cool and real, he's also pretty handsome, I can't wait to see how he looks at the end, his wife is going to be so shocked.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #134  
Amdak

S/C/G: 210/165/120

Height: 5'

Maybe they're actually did a weekly weigh-in and that's why the numbers were more reaistic.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:38 PM   #135  
Dea
TBL Blue team member

The one thing that stuck with me from last night's show is that I am so glad that we are doing this (weight-loss, life-style changes etc) without having to leave our families!!! I cried and cried as the Red team talked to their families!!
It really inspired me to be thankful for what I have,be proud of how far I have come, and work really hard to reach (and maybe surpass) my goal!