The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-18-2007, 07:23 PM   #46  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I think Bob and Kim did know Jillian would be there but they pretend to be surprised for the drama aspect... maybe I'm just cynical though. I bet the players were surprised though!

Can't wait for tonights show!
Old 09-18-2007, 07:53 PM   #47  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

I'm with you Muse, I bet Bob and Kim knew...but the players didnt! I dunno who said it, but wouldnt it have been so much more fun if they wouldnt have told us in the previews that Jillian was coming, so when she got off the motorcycle we were all shocked! That would have been cool!
Old 09-18-2007, 08:27 PM   #48  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

TBL Live Show Chat!

Just in case you couldn't find the link

I'm starting a bit late so I'm catching up on the show!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:06 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 262/see ticker/153

Height: 5'6"

Can I just say again that I LOOOOOOVVVVVVVEEEEEEE the black team?!?!!? They all look pissed and ready to eat the Blue & Red team for lunch! It's just awesome. I'm watching this by myself and cheering out loud, my neighbors must think I'm insane!!!

LOVE Jillian too........

and..... I think I'm in love with Bob....lol. How he nurtured that woman from the red team..... I cried..... what a man.......
Old 09-18-2007, 09:57 PM   #50  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

I am not that in love with the black team. I do love Jillian, but I just have not had the chance to bond up with them like I have the blue team. Red team issues addressed below.

I wonder if there is something different going on this year than in previous years. Overall, the numbers seem to be really low. I understand that the second week numbers are not going to have the same drama as the first week, but this seems out of the ordinary.

Phil has to be kicking himself for his picks. If I were team captain, I would put a stop to the whining immediately. Lezlye really made things hard for herself with her weigh in. I cannot believe that they did not give Amy the boot.

And for Amy, I would not have ever dreamed that I could leave my kids for an extended period. I am shocked at the moms who leave really little ones behind. I cannot imagine underestimating that bond. I think that is really unfair the other team members. If you can't bring your a-game (and most moms of wee ones can't), then you shouldn't sign up. It really hurts the whole team.

Voting for Phil??! They cannot win another challenge without him. They are too slow and too weak. This is like watching people send the Titanic into the iceberg.

Last edited by onthetee; 09-18-2007 at 10:06 PM. Reason: oops
Old 09-18-2007, 09:58 PM   #51  
budding cinephile

S/C/G: 225/197.5/150

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I'm not sure how late everyone is staying up but jillian's live chat blog is on NBC.com at 10 pm est / 7 pm pst
Old 09-18-2007, 10:05 PM   #52  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Onthetee--I'm with you. If they vote Phil off no one on that team will win! I really think Jerry or Phil will be the biggest loser. I'm really rooting for Kae.

Last edited by Shay; 09-18-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:33 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

I wonder what was different this week that there were so few BIG losses. All these 5lb or less losses this week! I mean, as many of them said, in the "real world" that's a huge loss, but for the show, it's not. Are they building more muscle? Eating differently?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:07 AM   #54  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

http://www.realitytvmagazine.com/blo...ggest-l-3.html

this blog explains it. A tv "week" isn't a "real" week. The show makes it seem like the show covers about 3 months, when it actually has been 8 or 9.

It isn't one week between weigh-ins, the "weeks" vary in length. This site links to the real weekly data for former contestants.

It does bring up an ethical point. Do you think that the show should be telling us how long it has been since the last weigh-in? Do you think this sets up home viewers to think they can also do the impossible, and to feel like failures when they can't measure up. Or do you think anyone stupid enough to believe that anything on tv, even the news, is "real" is a fool?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:14 AM   #55  

This is the direct link to the nwsfoundation and the article on "False Hope Syndrome

http://www.nwsfoundation.com/

The commentor on the first site article argues that "most" viewers who are paying attention realize these weigh-ins aren't always one week apart.

Do you think this is true? Or more specifically, what proportion of viewers do you think realize that these weeks are of varying length, and the 12 weeks of show time is actually 8 plus months of "real" time?
Old 09-19-2007, 02:23 AM   #56  

Wow, what an eye opener. The site I mentioned gives the actual weigh-in dates and results of all contestants for Seasons 1 - 3, and as they state, only one female and few male contestants ever exceeded 3.5 lbs in any week.

Guess, what? I've done better than that! There shoots to heck all the theories that their strenuous workouts, specially planned diets, and time away from family and responsibilities boosts their weight-loss ability. They do no better than many of us here.

I feel sort of like I've been in Oz, when the curtain is pulled and the wizard is revealed to be a fraud. I guess I suspected it, but the extent of the deception is really mind-blowing.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:53 AM   #57  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I guess I am one of those who thought that yes the weigh-ins were a week a part. I know that reality shows are mostly scripted but I thought this one was a bit different. I know that there are huge extremes with the weight loss, like the guy losing 30 lbs the first weigh-in but honestly I could see that happening when the person goes from eating several thousand calories a day to eating like maybe 1200 and exercising several hours a day. What my first reaction was, how could these people stand to be away from their families for so long? I thought that 12 weeks maximum would be not too bad considering what is gained but actually they are away for a lot longer than that!

But if these people are going to kill themselves exercising and only lose the same amount that I could in the same time frame without nearly that much effort then what is the point? This has definately taken away an aspect of my enjoyment of the show.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:19 AM   #58  

My husband and I were talking about this, this morning. It definitely changes my perception of how hard these people are portrayed as working, and the risks that I thought they were taking. So, on one hand, I'm relieved that it's safer for the contestants, but at whose expense? The viewers who ignore the "don't try this at home" warning, and figure they can pull crazy numbers, not just week 1, but the entirety of their weight loss.

I don't think the average viewer could be expected to know that many times one week is really a month. How would they know this? Especially since the show goes to great lengths to cover up the time discrepancies. And I wonder, did they really do the focus groups and research that showed that americans aren't patient enough or interested enough in realistic weight loss, or did they just underestimate most of us.

I am sad, and angry that thin viewers may look down upon their fat friends, coworkers, family members, and neighbors, because they don't have the "commitment, courage, and inititative" that the contestants "seem" to have, when the fact is the fat people in their lives may be losing at the same rate, or better than people with nothing better to do than put every minute into their weight loss WITH a giant prize waiting for someone at the end of it.

I think conscientiously, I need to give up watching this show. I don't think it helps anyone, even the contestants involved. I feel they, at least should have known better. I wouldn't sacrifice my integrity and self-respect in order to lose weight OR for money. I wouldn't allow others with weight problems to remain ignorant of the full story.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:35 AM   #59  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Yes, I thought the weigh-ins were weekly. Rather than being disappointed, I'm now encouraged to find that I'm normal. Who'd of thunk it?!

Call me shallow and simple......but, can't I just enjoy the show without overthinking everything? Afterall, I get to see people...just like me...lose incredible amounts of weight. No, they didn't lose it in 3 months, but they did lose it...and that is inspiring to me and it gives me hope.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:41 AM   #60  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I don't think that the weigh ins are a month apart. I listen to Jillian's radio show and she just recently said that they're 7-10 days apart... Jill doesn't have any reason to lie about it, she's very honest about what she thinks of the show, how she organized her teams' diets and how many hours (4-5) they exercise 6 days out of the week. So... *shrug* I think the smaller numbers are those peoples' bodies saying "WOAH! What the heck are you DOING to me?" and putting the brakes on.

Last edited by Azure; 09-19-2007 at 09:41 AM.