The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-26-2007, 07:42 AM   #106  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

Maybe Jerry had a bad attitude? It seemed he was really cocky at the end when he was telling them that they would never make it without him. What kind of leader is that? Maybe he is right, but still..
Old 09-26-2007, 08:29 AM   #107  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

I didn't take it as cocky as much as being hurt. After all, he picked those people and then the first chance they had to dump him, they did. Bet he was wishing he had picked the people on the black team.

There's always a bunch of lobbying when it comes time to vote someone off. The truly savy will stir up whatever they can to make sure the target doesn't land on their back. As they said, it's a game and the thing that gets to be a turn off for me after a while is that you want to root for the person who DESERVES to be there and the game being what it is, those are usually the first to go.

It was great to see how he stuck to his guns when he got home and lost so much weight. He was really looking good.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:50 AM   #108  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Those phone calls were so hard to watch...I just couldn't leave my family even for that kind of opportunity. Those people that weighed in and had pretty small losses, can you imagine what they are thinking? I killed myself and I only lost 3 lbs??

Totally unfair that they dumped Jerry and just wait until Bob hears about that!!! But he was going to be a huge threat to the rest of them later on, he was losing too much too consistantly.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:50 AM   #109  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

As much as I LOVE Bob and him being my favorite trainer, after last night, i could care LESS about anyone on the Blue team. I do care about some peeps on the red, but mostly I like the Black team.

I felt bad for jerry, but I guess he got the last laugh because he looks awesome!
Old 09-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #110  

S/C/G: 262/see ticker/153

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
As much as I LOVE Bob and him being my favorite trainer, after last night, i could care LESS about anyone on the Blue team. I do care about some peeps on the red, but mostly I like the Black team.
I agree! LOVE Bob.... I don't like anyone on his team though...except for Patty - but only because of her story.... she has a liver problem and unless she loses weight, she could very well die and leave her kids behind. Because of that, I root for her. I like the football player on the red team.... don't care for any of the others on the red team though....not even Kim.... however the Black team - love all of them... and would hate to see any of them go home. The Blue team seemed so "close" and "united" and then last night when it was their turn to do the elimination - they all started to unravel it seemed.....
Old 09-26-2007, 09:17 AM   #111  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Red face

Wow, I didn't know that about Patty. I hope this works for her. I think Jerry was a great leader and the heart of the blue team. The messed up IMO.

I was actaully feeling a bit sorry for Kim, she only has 4 peeps left on her team. She must be thinking to herself, "what does this mean about me as a trainer" yanno? I'd be questioning myself if it were me. I am glad they walked away with the challenge win AND the weigh in.

I also could NEVER leave my young children. Heck my baby is a teenager now and I'd have trouble leaving him and my fiance'. Especially if I couldn't pick up the phone everyday and talk to them. If I did and I was only losing 2 or 3 lbs a week, I'd so go back home. I can do that here.

I guess I am pulling for the Black team because I always seem to pull for the underdogs and that's exactly what they 'were". They were rejected by the other teams and are back with a vengence. I like that. I am starting to warm up to Jillian as well.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #112  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I could see the logic of voting off Kai, because she had the least to lose, but Jerry? That made no sense to me. I thought he looked amazing after loosing 88 pounds at home. He reminds me of one of the "6am regulars" at my track. There's a group of 5 or 6 retirees and me (36) every morning at our local track, and let me tell you, those old folks kick my tush every morning.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #113  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I don't understand the "she has less to lose" logic that they use. Because it's based on weight loss percentage, it means that if she lost 2 pounds, she might have the same percentage as one of the bigger guys who lost 4 or 5. Plus, she isn't small...she's got plenty of weight to take off her petite frame.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:47 AM   #114  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I guess in my mind (completely flawed and currently w/o caffeine) I know that once I lose so much, my body wants to stop for awhile and hold on to everything it's got. I know several people who've suggested the less you have to lose the harder it gets to produce the bigger losses. Does that make sense? I really need to go find some caffeine.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #115  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I don't understand the "she has less to lose" logic that they use. Because it's based on weight loss percentage, it means that if she lost 2 pounds, she might have the same percentage as one of the bigger guys who lost 4 or 5. Plus, she isn't small...she's got plenty of weight to take off her petite frame.
But if she is at 200, losing 25% of her weight would get her to 150. While 25% is great, some of the guys who are around 400 are looking to lose 40-50% of their weight. She is not going to hit 40%.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #116  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I'm trying to lighten up about the show, because it is so fun to watch, but some of the comments really rile me. Like Jillian (who I really like) saying something about how she expected some of her team members to do poorly, but not expecting them to do as poorly as they did. I didn't think any of the contestants did poorly, especially on her team. Considering how humongously high the losses were the previous weeks, I would think that the trainers would expect more modest losses this week, and hope for some bigger numbers week 4. I mean, these are supposed to be experts in exercise physiology. Human physiology can only be pushed so far, and they should know this. Jerry's numbers are a case in point. Losing 44 lbs in two weeks, and anyone expecting him to lose anything at all this week is just crazy. So I'm left with the idea that the producers are stacking the deck, and pushing the contestants and trainers to certain actions for dramatic effect. Or, perhaps even worse, the competition is causing even the trainers to think only of winning, even if that demands they completely ignore the entirety of their education and understanding of how weight loss works.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:02 AM   #117  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Well I'll be in the minority and say it didnt bother me a bit to see Jerry go. First off he was injured. Secondly his attitude stunk! Just because he was the one who picked the team doesnt entitle him to anything. I was SHOCKED to see his comments towards his team. The nature of the game is that people are gonna get voted off so to be so nasty about it. I really dont think there was anyone on the blue team that deserved to be voted off so it had to be someone. Noone was entitled to anything. Besides that they were right, he would be successful when he went home and he was! Cant really feel sorry for the dude now.

As much as I love Bob, I really like the red team better! I really like the athlete and the cowboy for some reason LOL.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:13 AM   #118  

S/C/G: 262/see ticker/153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hun.e.B View Post

As much as I love Bob, I really like the red team better! I really like the athlete and the cowboy for some reason LOL.
Oh yeah... I like the cowboy too... he seems so sweet!
Old 09-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #119  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

But the "attitude" wasn't manifested until after the first vote, and I would think anyone would become defensive when learning that not just a majority, but that the entire team (whom you hand-picked) had unanimously voted you off. Editing makes it difficult to know whether he had a negative attitude the first three weeks (which was edited out) or whether this was a complete anomoly for him, and included for extra drama.

I love the premise of the show, I'm just not so crazy about some of the ways it's executed, and some of the crazy ideas about weight loss it sometimes seems to encourage. I know they're trying to appeal to viewers that might be watching for different reasons, but the soap opera aspect rubs me the wrong way.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #120  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

I just find it hard to believe that kind of negativety just comes out of the blue. Someone had to go and they all had their reasons to stay. Jerry took the fall but he looks amazing now so I find it really hard to see how he got the short end here. He may not have won a bunch of money but he got his health back and that to me is worth WAY more.