The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 10-09-2007, 10:14 PM   #166  

S/C/G: 262/see ticker/153

Height: 5'6"

LOVE JILLIAN!!!! Tonights episode (and it looks like next weeks episode) has given me even more of a dislike of Kim!!! Gag!

Whoever said that the red team knew they'd be safe from elimination so they chugged water before last weeks weigh-in to get low weighloss numbers.... I think you all were SOOOO dead on with that! Amazing... they were all 1 pound losers last week, and all of the sudden this week..*BAM* 10 pounds here and there! hmmm.... I smells a fish!

I hated to see anyone on the Black team go home, but I do feel it was good strategy to send one of the twins home.... I hate that part of the show!!!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:56 PM   #167  
Takin' charge of my life!

I love Jillian! Can't wait to see the cat fight on next weeks show. I too am getting dislike Kim more and more...

I hated to see a member of the black team go, but agree that they had a good strategy behind this one, unlike the previous people kicked off the ranch.

Last edited by Andi18; 10-09-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:57 PM   #168  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

For the first time, I am a Kim fan. She treated her team the way I parent, and I was thrilled that she got results.

I hope that Jillian learned that anytime you start taking away people's choices, treating them like morons and trying to control every aspect of their lives, they will rebel, consciously or not. Kim showed respect and trust in her team to do the right thing. Even if they rigged it last week, that could not all have been water weight. I think they took their knowledge and applied it and did well.

When WW switched from the points range to the flex points, I failed. It was too restrictive to hit a single target everyday and then try to think about flex points. To give me a range each day gave me much more control. When I was trying to hit a target, I started trying to cheat the system, and did successfully. But I did not lose weight.

I think that people learn to make choices by making choices, not by being told what to do. I think that trying to control everything that people put in their mouth leads to rebellion. This is why restrictive dieting vs. life changes are unsuccessful over the long term. David made a great point that 24-hour room service was available. How many people decided they would just eat when Jillian was not watching?

And if you don't let them make their own choices, how will they ever experience consequences? Losing a team member was a consequence for the black team, but would it have come to that if they had felt more freedom in the first place?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:11 PM   #169  

I think they sandbagged last week. They took a chance and figured they would get immunity and didn't have the weight loss they would have had they been up against the other teams. Reading blogs and reports on what some of the contestants will do to lose the weight before a weigh in, I wouldn't doubt some of those numbers were the result of improper dieting. This is a game, the contestants will do what they want/think/need to do.

The black team was going to lose someone sooner or later... They worked their off but didn't have the weight loss, it happens... I don't think it was because Jillian did not allow them to drink, Bob didn't allow his team to drink either. Like Bob said, one drink every now and then is not going to cause a lot of harm... Again, it is Bob and Jillian's (and Kim's too) job to get these contestants to lose weight. Their main focus is to get that weight off however they can, if it means no choices than that is how they will play. These people are adults, they've made their choices, had their experiences, that's why they are on the show. Bob and Jillian (and Kim too) are doing their job, they are teaching the contestant's discipline...

Last edited by Andi18; 10-11-2007 at 06:55 AM. Reason: just realized I can't spell --- actually I've known this for awhile!
Old 10-09-2007, 11:19 PM   #170  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I agree that the red team probably sodium loaded, then water loaded right before weigh-in...their low numbers last week were suspicious and their high numbers this week were even MORE suspicious. I don't like Kim, plain and simple.

I think that in the real world, a more balanced approach might be okay. However, those people aren't in the real world--and risking something like losing a weigh in to have a few drinks is silly. They'll have plenty of time to have a few when they're maintaining.

From listening to Jillian's radio show (and I do every week), she's actually okay with people drinking certain kinds of booze while losing (no more than two drinks/week) and while maintaining. She's very specific about what kinds, but she's okay with it as long as people are aware of what it does in the body and compensate for that. TBL is a scenario where that just doesn't make sense.

The black team had to lose a team member eventually, I guess...I just was hoping they would stick it to the Red team again. I really would just like for Kim's team to be gone so she will go, too. Heh.

Last edited by Azure; 10-09-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:16 AM   #171  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I understand where Kim was coming from on the drinking issue....afterall, they are adults and they know what they need to do. I was more aggravated with the contestants themselves. They have a marvelous opportunity....and, they are in a competition! What the heck do they need a drink for??!!! They just need to toughen up and get their head in the game. Give me this opportunity....I'd do everything I absolutely could do to lose the weight for my team and to win the challenge.

Also, do I think the red team pulled some kind of shenanigans last week? You betcha! I would have.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:08 AM   #172  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 207.5/179/140

Height: 5'6

I love Jillian, but she had to realize that at some point her team would lose a weigh-in! I really love BOB though! I was so glad they didn't lose again! I kinda feel sorry for Kim. I think she has big shoes to fill, and I think she does a good job! Everyone trains different, and I think she is just sweeter and doesn't have it in her to push them as much as Jillian would! I really do think though that she has her teams best interest at heart! I just love the show period though! HOLY COW....did Jim look fantastic or what? I think he looked like a totally different person! Can't wait for next weeks show!
Old 10-10-2007, 01:36 PM   #173  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

I was so glad Isabeau didnt get voted off.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:54 PM   #174  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Red face

I'm totally dumping my Bf for Bob! LOL! He is one FINE looking man! YUM!!!!

I always cry at eliminations....I'm such a nerd.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #175  

YES, Jim looked FANTASTIC!!!!! I'm always so proud to see that the contestants who have gotten voted off the show have done so well on their own!
Old 10-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #176  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileysmomma View Post
I was so glad Isabeau didnt get voted off.

Someone at the vote-off said something about her reasons for being there were not as good as the other people. What was her reason? I have forgotten, if I ever knew.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #177  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

In the first episode, she said something about a cross country race with her family? or something like that. Also, I think she is a singer and wants to sing professionally.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:31 PM   #178  

I was also glad to see Isabeau not get voted off. I think that comment was geared towards that fact that she is not married or have kids...that's my assumption anyway. Regardless of that, she is the heaviest woman on TBL since the show started, she has every reason to be there and to continue her fight to become TBL. I hope she makes it to the final. And yes, she is a singer, you can listen to some of her songs on her myspace page... myspace.com/isabeaumiller She has pictures on there from a few years back as well (one of them being her profile pic).

Last edited by Andi18; 10-10-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #179  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

It would be great if Isabeau made it to the final. I don't particularly like any of the other women on the show. Wait a minute I like Kae. I think she will be this season's Drea.

Again I love Bob, like Jillian, and could care less about Kim. Has everyone seen Kim in the Slim in 6 infomercial?

This season I am rooting for individuals and I'm rooting for Phil and Isabeau.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:53 PM   #180  

I liked Isabeaus myspace page.... her blogs are HILARIOUS!! (she also addresses the "week" issues in one of her blogs...cleared it up).

Also... from her page, I went to others pages and eventually landed on the cowboy from Texas on the red team...his blog is set up really neat - looks like he kept a journal while at the campus...and for each weekly episode, he posts his journal entrys for that week so you can kind of see how he was feeling. It was pretty nifty...

I also landed on Bobs page... HE'S 42!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would have thought him to be MUCH younger! (not saying 42 is old by ANY means....) I just assumed he was in his 30s!