Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #31  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Food was pretty good on the weekend other than a couple of beers Friday night. I can't even remember my excuse right now, but there was one at the time. Oh I remember. I got a phishing scam thing on the computer when I typed in a website for the grocery store. Their flyer had a typo in their website name and when I typed it in it caused a problem. Luckily the Genius Bar at Apple could fix me up on Saturday.

I've been really stewing about some lack of range of motion in my right arm/shoulder. I had myself so worked up that I was sure I would need a second opinion and then they would need to rebrake it and do surgery. Heck, I don't know if they even do such things. Anyway, I saw the doctor this morning and he was very reassuring. He said the stiffness I have is normal and in fact I am doing better than most at this stage. I'm sure he thinks I'm a worry wart and I guess I am. I have never had this big of an injury. Sprained my ankle a couple of years ago, but I could tell early on it would be okay. Anyway, I start physical therapy tomorrow and he says although I won't be 100%, I will have much more range of motion. I would gladly have seen him weekly and paid the bill for the reassurance.

He also says I can get on the elliptical and I can use my hiking poles now, so tomorrow Hiking Suzanne and I will do the Gateway Loop. It's the one I always fall back to if I haven't hiked in awhile. It's just 90 minutes, a bit rocky and a very moderate hike as far as elevation gain. I only wish it would stay cool for a while.

Gardnerjoy Thanks for the quote from the new book. That makes a lot of sense and I need to remember to give myself credit. I'm sure without the exercise I usually do, my weight would be much higher.

Beth I may be new since you were on here, "hello" and boy haven't we all been there. Good luck on getting back to it; you can do it.

Debbie I am also glad your pup is doing better. Such a worry they are.

Waving to the rest of you. I got absolutely nothing done over the weekend. I had a stress headache probably from worry. Since I'm feeling a bit better now, I had better do the new exercises the doctor gave me and get a few things done.

I had several years of worry pretty much from 1999 to 2004 when my parents were ill and then died. Then a few more when my husband had some health problems a few years ago including a new onset seizure disorder, rotator cuff torn in a seizure and prostate cancer. I'm grateful that I haven't had much to worry about for a couple of years. I'm out of practice, but I find I can get right back to it if need be and I don't want that.

Okay, I shall move on now and try to be a bit productive. Thanks for listening to the whining.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:59 PM   #32  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

I made a new advantages response card today. I still have my old one but it lost its "punch" with so much rereading, so I created a new one. I even used a new font and color so it would feel "fresh". (Arthritis in my right hand has caused me to limit writing by hand.)

I took my bike in to be worked on--I haven't ridden regularly in a very long time--but biking is going to be my primary exercise this summer.

I'm giving myself credit for making my advantages response card, dropping my bike off when I wanted to stay home, eating well within calorie goals today, and recording everything in MFP. I also ate everything sitting down.

That's a lot for a first day back on track.

'Night all.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:36 AM   #33  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default sitting down - day 5

I only eat when I'm sitting down. Today I'll only eat when I'm sitting down.

I've found that I'm starting to feel lighter inside - so that's good. Indigestion still happens when trouble starts but I'm not reacting by eating, I'm reacting by not eating and by relaxing my shoulders.

I've weighed myself this morning. A slight freak out when I was 5lbs or so higher than I expected but I knocked the scales when moving them. A second and third go gave me a more expected result. Phew!

When I post this I'm going to start my exercises. In between, I'm going to plan today's food.

Beth, I'm going to copy you and write out a new Advantages response card. I think it'll be something about losing weight will help me buy clothes more easily and quickly (and I don't have the time to fiddle about with clothes at the moment).

to all, wishing you a good Tuesday.

And to you, Bill, buona giornata! This is a really handy phrase to know in Italy where people greet one another at the beginning and end of each encounter. It's for the end, when you're just leaving. Buongiorno is for when you arrive. Using these will get you a long way on the 'he's a good guy' front.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:16 AM   #34  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Tuesday - Cinco de Mayo

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating would have been superb except for an afternoon diversion: in a class, dark chocolate covered almonds were passed around the table. I gobbled as if I'd never seen them before - as if I wasn't on a plan. Ouch! CREDIT moi for the rest of the day and for reading today's quote twice - I won't be discouraged; I'll just mush on.

Took a walk with DW after dinner, CREDIT moi, where the aerobics aspect was interrupted by five different sets of folks stopping us to chat. Apparently, evenings are a more chatty time than mornings. It was my second walk of the day, so I feel like I compensated as best as I could.
Diversion 3: A friend told me that a bespoke suit means that you speak to the tailor about the suit, not just take it from the rack. Now I get it. And, perhaps, will let the dead horse lie beat.
Diversion 4: But have to report that a British friend asked me, "Confused? Didn't you learn as a school kid 'Divorced, Beheaded, Died, Divorced, Beheaded, Lived' when you studied the fate of Henry VIII's six wives?" Actually, no, no I didn't.

onebyone – Ouch for falling for the old hunger trap with Kudos for seeing how you will respond next time. Always good to hear the word 'sales' in your post.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Thanks for the quote from Beck's blue book. Think I'll use that to remind myself that I have responses when facing unplanned candy being passed around. Kudos for your "best eating day."

silverbirch – Kudos, Kudos, Kudos for spending the whole morning knowing that there was a crust from a fresh loaf of bread in your lunchbox. I do love the crust of bread. [Thanks for "buona giornata" to help me on my trip.]

maryann - It is surprising how easily discouragement can creep in even when we're winning.

spanky - Kudos for demonstrating the benefits of "right back on plan the next day."

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Kudos for choosing planning as your first strategy for getting back on track. Welcome back; it tickled me to be reminded of the picture you posted standing on the chair directing the world. You did it before; you can do it again. Yay for a bike to inspire exercise.

Karen (karenrn) - LOL at an official diagnosis of "worry wart" - you can write your own prescription that contains the word 'hiking' multiple times. Sending supportive thoughts as you bring back memories of your parents final chapters.

love2garden - Kudos for steamed veggies instead of rice and for bringing home half of lunch.

p.a. - Ouch for a lingering cold when it's time to celebrate spring. Yay for aquafit to refresh the soul.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 36 Believe It

Build More Confidence
Remind yourself what you were like five weeks ago, before you started this program. If that's hard to do, picture yourself during a holiday or special event that occurred around that time. In particular, take a look at the changes in your behavior. Before you started this program:
  • How often did you eat standing up?
  • How often did you eat mindlessly?
  • How often did you eat too quickly?
  • How often did you plan ahead of time what you were going to eat?
  • How often did you overeat or eat for emotional reasons?
  • How often did you criticize yourself (and become demoralized) for what you ate?
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 240.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #35  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Home today with DS ill in bed, not feeling so great myself. Ended yesterday under calories as my stomach started to turn. Read my ARCs yesterday and today and posted. Sat down, savored, planned. A "full kudos" day.

Today I'm hoping for the same and may do my fast since it fits my stomach. Will be lounging and enjoying the fine spring day while toting chicken soup to DS.

Welcome to those who've joined us, you've come to the right place!
Old 05-05-2015, 10:08 AM   #36  
Green Tomatoes

Today is Day 3 at Level 3, practicing these three Foundation Strategies: reading the Advantages List, eating while seated, and giving myself credit. I expect to LEVEL UP tomorrow!

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +40 150/1300 minutes for May, Food: NA op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Welcome back, bethFromDayton! I'm losing a re-gain, too -- we can do this!
Old 05-05-2015, 12:39 PM   #37  

Good morning coaches,

Got out for a short hike this morning around the Gateway Loop, credit. Lucky for me it was cloudy and only 68 degrees, divine. My time was about what is usual even though I was being careful. Felt great to get out there. PT is at 11:00 and I'm looking forward to it and a bit nervous. After that going out to lunch with a friend and I don't know where, I hope to choose someplace where lunch is good and not too high in calories. Chris is usually careful, so that should help.

Better get my hair done, etc. Have a good day.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:19 PM   #38  

Height: 5' 2"

Karen Hiking the Gateway Loop AND 68 degrees sounds like heaven. So glad you are regaining strength and confidence. Hope PT helps you regain wide range of motion, too.

Beth Like the idea of making new advantage cards. After all, we are in a new place now.

Bill The Beck Review helped me recognize how some good habits have become natural. I can work on some of the ones that I fail badly on, now. Especially late night eating, reserving it for what is left from nutrition needs missed during the day.

Lunch was under the dappled shade of the huge Maple in our fantastic back yard. DD cooked and brought it out to us as we enjoyed all the growth of shrubs, trees, and perennials. Rhododendron is just starting to bloom, blue spikes of Salvia and Baptista, Trillium have turned pink as they age out, all Hostas have unfurled as the last of the ferns are still in fiddles, but gradually opening.

Eleven pots are now filled with Annuals in reds, blues, whites and yellows. Sitting anywhere in our back yard give great views. Old peatmoss from last years pots has been shoveled into empty pots for the bottom layers. Now it is daily watering, weekly deadheading and feeding 1/2 plants a week.

Poison ivy is growing as well (thanks to the birds that we feed in winter) I'm gradually pulling that with hands fully protected. I react far too strongly to that stuff so have learned to be very, very carful.

Transplanted dark red Huchera to back fence with "White Nancy" and Japanese Painted Fern for contrast.

Body is extremely sore from 3 very heavy gardening days and only Sunday as day of rest. Satisfaction out weights the ache.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:49 PM   #39  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Default Day 2: back on track

Hi all,

I opened up the chair compare picture from almost two years ago--yes, I want to be that smaller size again. So, that's a big motivation.

I didn't plan today. I did stay pretty much on track. I don't really know how many calories my make-your-own-salad at the grocery store was, but I made good choices and didn't get any of the creamy salads.

Credits--was hungry about an hour after breakfast and reminded myself that I'd have lunch at noon--and didn't get a snack, ate sitting down all day, and didn't even nibble the cheese crumbs on my fingers after preparing my midday snack. Recorded everything in MFP. I kept stopping myself from eating too quickly--I'm working back towards my rule of "don't prepare the next bite until your existing bite is totally eaten". I also stopped eating dinner before it was gone because I was satisfied.

Evening snack--unplanned--but only a measured 1/4 cup of raisins.

I read through the beginning of the pink book last night--and days 1-4. Tonight I'll read about eating slowly and mindfully.

Best,

--Beth
Old 05-05-2015, 10:53 PM   #40  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Default yesterday today tomorrow

Coaches

I spent the day all to myself today. I watched Magic Mike finally. Turns out it's a simple romantic story. Huh.

I got news from the Dr.that reminded me I was mortal and so I spent a few hours thinking on things but came to no conclusions.

I volunteered to revamp the potters' website since I am trying to get a handle on my own site too. It help solidify what I am learning.

Foodwise was exactly on plan tracked, no seconds, and weighed in down from yesterday. Credits.

Not sure what I'm doing tomorrow. We'll see.

Bye for now.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:45 AM   #41  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Wednesday - National Nurses Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping at the bookstore to look at the Hilary Mantel historical novels, Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies. A quick glance at the cast of characters in the first pages was helpful for understanding the current PBS series that has one episode left. The books are good candidates for summer reading. I do enjoy the thought of reading of a woman of "sharp intelligence and audacious will" - even if Anne Boleyn's outcome isn't the lesson we'd like to teach our daughters.

Eating was 100% on plan, CREDIT moi, with no snacks - just what I needed to feel that I was back on the path. DW is already planning next week's meals with the goal of leaving an empty fridge for the two weeks that we're gone.

onebyone – Yep, this mortal business seems ubiquitous - Kudos for pondering it. An artist does have the satisfaction that her works can live forever.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – It's satisfying to read your methodical approach.

spanky - Hope you get over whatever ails your stomach. Kudos, indeed for A "full kudos" day.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Neat to have a goal picture - especially one so grand. Kudos for scooping up all the Beck strategies to get underway.

Karen (karenrn) - The Energizer Bunny just keeps on hiking.

love2garden - Kudos for all that gardening exercise. Your backyard sounds like one my DW would love.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 36 Believe It

Build More Confidence

How often do you do these things anymore? Now, take a look at the changes in your thinking. Before you started this program:
  • How often did you fool yourself? (It won't matter if I overeat once. Calories don't count if I eat crumbs. I can't have a good time if I don't eat what I want. It's okay to eat this because I'm upset. I've strayed, so I may as well blow it for the day.)
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 240.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #42  
in development

Default sitting down - day 6

Yesterday I ate everything sitting down apart from one orange segment just before I raced out of the house about 9pm to do some urgent photocopying. (This - racing about at night - is really not how I usually lead my life, I can tell you.) Although I did sit down, I also managed to eat quite a bit at lunchtime. This was entirely predictable as I'd done weights during the morning.

Today I've managed OK so far. I've spent the morning with a friend whose brother has died unexpectedly. I bought a few cantuccini (biscotti) to have together and I have eaten more than I expected. Something to learn from.

Bill, I often break a journey at Montacute House, the glorious Elizabethan property used in Wolf Hall. (I know it was used as I saw loads of props there one day.) I walk around the grounds and generally regroup. Sometimes I go into the house for a bit. We are sometimes so blasι about these wonderful buildings and grounds.

I didn't manage to write a new Advantages response card yesterday. I like gardenerjoy's idea of the three Foundation Strategies: reading the Advantages List, eating while seated, and giving myself credit. Does that come from the Blue Book?
Old 05-06-2015, 09:46 AM   #43  
Green Tomatoes

I earned my sticker and moved up to Level 4 today, adding in the fourth Foundation Strategy -- writing and reading response cards. This will be easy for me since I re-started that habit a few days ago. I can use more practice with giving credit, though, so I'm going to give this a full three days before moving on.

WI: NA kg, Exercise: +30 180/1300 minutes for May, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

silverbirch: yes -- I'm working through the Blue Book. It's proving to be a terrific review of things. I also like the tone better. Each book gets a little friendlier. That's helpful for me.
The Levels and stickers are my own addition because I'm also reading a book about gaming right now.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #44  

Morning everyone
Despite being on meds cold still lingers on. I just keep plugging on hoping it's gone soon.
I know someone here fasts a few days a week ,,, some friends of mine are trying a new 'to them' style where they count thier calories 5 days a week (1200) and for 2 days they only eat 500. They seem to like it. Not sure if it's for me but it is intriguing. Sometimes you have to change things up.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #45  

Good afternoon coaches,

Had another good hike this morning, credit, and I'm putting myself on a schedule for my PT exercises 3 times a day. I've done them twice so far and giving credit for that too. I made a tasty Swiss chard/garbanzo bean, tomato dish for lunch. I was pretty sure it wouldn't appeal to dh, but I enjoyed it. Credit for trying something new, healthy and low in calories. I've got to take credit for these things, because food was a little more than planned yesterday with 2 beers to celebrate the start of PT without agony.

p.a. That's one nasty cold, huh? I hope it will soon let up.

Gardenerjoy You are an inspiration with your diligence. I really need to get the book back out. I'm doing some of the things, by habit, but others not at all.

Silverbirch Seems like too much going on in your life right now. Do you get a summer break from some of it?

BBE I'm getting excited about your Italy trip and can't wait to hear about it. I do love to travel.

Love2garden Your pots sound fantastic. I used to love this time of year in Washington and we had some beautiful perennial beds on a corner lot. I just can't get in to it here, cause they seem to burn up too quickly at the time of year I want to see them. Sometimes I plant pots in the Fall that last until Spring. It sounds as if you've really had a work out and I'm sure there is more to come.

Okay, I'm going to get the Beck book out and read a bit, including my cards. I seem to do just enough to maintain, but not enough to lose. One of my goals now is not to increase intake just because I burn more calories hiking. I track on MFP, including exercise, and I know I can't eat back the calories and think I'm going to lose.

Well, waving to the rest of you and more tomorrow.
Closed Thread