Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 09:38 PM   #226  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Hello Coaches.

Mall shopping today, which I rarely do. All the Christmas carols, decorations, and signs and banners exhorting shoppers to buy, buy buy so depressing. Could we please just enjoy Thanksgiving first? No planned exercise today - I guess traipsing around was my spontaneous exercise but it sure doesn't feel as good as real exercise does. No endorphins to be found at the mall.

1x1 - The eye of the beholder! Glad your mom's take on the new place was excitement.

Silverbirch - I thought you were an Italian translator? But you mentioned Spanish as well?

Lexxis - nice feeling to get caught up on tasks & cleaning! When salad is a reward, we have come a very long way indeed!

karen - The Swedish Bazaar sounds like fun!

curlypudge, so there are others with the Chocolate Chip conundrum! DH has seen the empty bag in the trash & said, "That's funny, I don't remember seeing any chocolate chip cookies . . . " Ha.

Gardenerjoy, kudos on the new low!

Nationalparker, stuffed shells . . . mmmmm. And to end the day below plan, wow. Good turnaround!!

BBE - Most folk dancing in our neck of the woods is Country. Dances from Eastern Europe sound very interesting!
Old 11-23-2014, 06:02 AM   #227  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Going out for the evening resolved the night snack issue, CREDIT moi. Heard some more music that my ear doesn't yet comprehend - but I'm not ready to give up. I still wish to leave an event humming the catchy melodies in my head. The story of Tristan and Isolde does not end happily even without the Wagner music. I don't know why tragedies seem to live longer than happy tales. While waiting for Boston's notorious Green Line subway (in its above ground portion), we chatted with a guy who makes it to New York about 50 times a year for cultural events. That's a serious patron of the arts.

Walk, CREDIT moi, included finding a gem of a book at Goodwill for only $1.99 - autographed by the author, new in perfect condition, and actually on my list of books to read 'some day.'

onebyone – Love the difference in perspective when your mother said, "Look at all the people!" I wish you success psyching out buying desires in your community. It's an interesting thought that some communities have more humor. By-the-by, I salute Toronto Maple Leaf fans for completing the U.S. National Anthem at a hockey game when the sound system went out half-way through the broadcast version. You guys got class.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – November does seem to be moving by - hope your NaNoWriMo is also.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – I am fond of the straightforward, "My Plan: No eating at the meeting."

silverbirch – Kudos indeed for, "Credit for just getting on with things."

nationalparker – LOL that your MIL " packed up the dark meat before we even ATE" - that's just whacky. Kudos for the recovery, "make it your dinner."

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for being present enough to discover the different light throughout the day. And Kudos for planning ahead for your event.

curlypudge - LOL at your DD wanting chocolate chips "hanging around" - they wouldn't hang long in my place. Kudos for that walk in the cold.

Mountain Mamma - I am so glad to know that I'm not the only one who doesn't get excited by the buy-to-be-happy aura of the malls. Even the washing machines are displayed with GIANT red bows on them. I can't get into the notion of a washing machine coming down the chimney.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 27 Master the Seven Questions Technique
Once I accept the fact that I have to monitor my
. . .eating in this way, dieting will be easier.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 203.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #228  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

Food OP yesterday and the scale is again in range of my 4# maintenance. Credit. Work today will be my exercise. As I was hauling a dumpster back into the yard yesterday I was reminded how great it feels to be physical AND get something accomplished. Yay!

I bought one of DH (and my) favorite goodies at Costco, designated as a holiday gift for DH. Beck thinking had my buy one bag, instead of the 4 I bought several years ago. When I bought 4 bags I gave him 1 and stashed the others. I've put the one bag in a spot where I won't be tempted to go back on my word and will wrap it as soon as possible. Credit.

BBE, yay for no event snacking and nice score with the book!

silverbirch, thanks for tips on "notes". Mine are mostly mental but I do love the cross off.

Mountain Mamma, yay for exercise at the mall, even though the surroundings could be better.

onebyone, I'm glad your mom is settling in. Keep persisting with your goal of less food, With willingness it will come.

nationalparker, several weeks ago my sis ordered in a beautiful gluten free birthday cake. My DH and I were sitting at the table after dinner and I had already said "NO CHOICE" to finishing the small piece. Suddenly my mom came in a whirlwind and grabbed the cake off the table. My sis commented perhaps she could leave it so one of us could finish it. I calmly remarked, "She is removing it so one of us does NOT finish it." LOL But really? All the dark meat? Kudos to you for ignoring it since DH gets aggravated. Yes, I understand.

curlypudge, I wish you peace as you figure out Thanksgiving fare. Difficult when you have extenuating circumstances. Kudos for not giving in with Choc Chips until you find your comfort zone.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #229  
Green Tomatoes

CREDIT for following my plan yesterday even when I had an inclination and opportunity to do something else. CREDIT for having a plan in the first place -- sometimes, I follow it because it's easier than inventing an alternative.

I'm still working on Success Skill 8, "Follow Your Plan, No Matter What" while also dealing with recursive layers of resistance surrounding perfectionism and absolutes (resisting perfectionism, resisting this section for fear it will induce perfectionism, resisting that resistance so that I can get what I need from this section and move on). There are 11 resistance techniques here. NO CHOICE has helped me the last few days. Technique 2, "Oh Well" has proven to be useful in many areas of life and is something I learned well the first time through the book.

Technique 3 is "Dispute your 'I don't care' voice." I have a very loud one of those. The response in the book doesn't ring quite true for me, so I modified it:

Quote:
It is true that I don't care at this very moment. But if I eat this unplanned food, I am going to care when I'm trying to fall asleep tonight or the next time I get on the scale. I know that I will feel bad if I give in, but I will feel terrific if I resist. I am going to do something else!
Technique 4 is "Quell your 'adolescent rebellion'." This is another one that is important for me, but the wording needs a bit of a change to speak to me. I'm going to try these two responses:

Quote:
My inner teenager has been more helpful than harmful on this journey. Let her rebel against a food industry run amok by following my healthy food plan.
Quote:
When "I'm going to do what I want" or "I don't want to" thoughts enter my head, remind myself that I feel entitled to good health and that I have plenty of great food options to get me there.
Only 7 more resistance techniques to go. (Resisting the urge to feel like this is endless. This is a journey -- and that's a good thing)

WI: +0.5 kg, Exercise: +40 800/1200 minutes for November, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 11-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #230  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Lots of painting today and am about to fall into bed with a book. The SO is just ironing me a clean nightie. (heart)

Gardenerjoy, I'll look at your responses properly when I'm not on the phone. They look very helpful.

Hope you're all having an on plan time. I've just avoided a pointless bowl of cereal. Credit!

Until tomorrow!
Old 11-23-2014, 07:01 PM   #231  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good afternoon coaches,

Food on plan and within calories, credit. No exercise yesterday and only a short hike today, little bit of credit. I do credit myself for not eating something sweet today when I would like something. I have to say my weigh in tomorrow for the challenge I am on in MFP is assisting me. I know this week will be challenging enough, I don't want to start now.

Nationalparker I just laugh thinking of your MIL packing up the leftovers before you ate. I used to send lots of leftovers home with my family, but they were packed by me after we ate. I may have to cook a turkey in the next week or two. I really like leftover turkey. Heck, maybe I'll just pack some up before we eat.

Onebyone I hope you have gotten some rest. You sounded down and exhausted and I know how feeling down can follow feeling exhausted. I'm glad your Mom saw the new place in a more positive light than you did. I hope for both your sakes that this is a good move for her.

Mountain Momma I hope you are getting done what needs to be done for Thanksgiving so you aren't in a panic. I used to do so much more than was necessary and was usually exhausted by the time the meal was on the table.
This year I asked my husband what he would like for dessert for Thanksgiving . . . brownies. I should never have asked. Now I will make the pecan fudge pie that I told my friend I would bring and brownies for my husband. Luckily he wants whipped cream on top which I am doing anyway for the pie.

Silverbirch Yes thanks for the notes on the lists. I think I'm procrastinating on making a list, but I am going to start this afternoon so I do at least the minimal that I must have done this week before we leave for our friends.

Lexxis That must feel great to have your weight in your maintenance range, especially to start the holidays that way. So, what is the favorite Costco goodie?

Gardener Joy I admire you persistence in working the book. I need to be better at that.

Bill I'm envious of all the cultural events you attend. I'm even more envious of the man you met at the subway who gets to NY 50 times a year. There are just so many things to do. Maybe DH will be more inclined to take in events once he is retired. I hope so. At this point, I drag him a couple of times a year. Once there he usually enjoys it, but it is about more trouble than it's worth.

Curly pudge I can't keep baking ingredients around either. I feel like such a spineless something or other, but I guess I just know myself too well. I can make a quick little treat in a bowl with that stuff and then I'm just off track. I am not on a no sugar plan, but haven't had a sweet in awhile and for the most part that is easier for me. My splurge seems to be the beer and I know I can't do both.

I was going to have the week with no workmen, but we have a problem with the drip system and some of the plants look horrible , so the landscaper will be here tomorrow. I must say I'm really disappointed about the selection of plants and of course they are so small. Our house turned out nicely with the new walk, stucco, etc., but the planting leaves something to be desired. I hope it ends up okay without any more or much more money.

Have a good start to the week everybody.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:16 PM   #232  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

Well, pecan picking was overwhelming as always to this true introvert. I hid my suffering from the 80 or so people who came. God smiled some sunshine on us and it really was a beautiful fall family experience. But I feel "done" and vulnerable with so many people around that love me and are apart of my life. Weird to say that but I was taught love was always a responsibility requiring tricky and variable solutions. More often than not, love is exhausting to me - except of course for DH and DS. So it is good the mixture of alone time and "boy time" I will have over the next few days.

Food wasn't tragic but I say "Oh Well." and move on.

I have done some more research and started today the "Sugar Impact" Diet by JJ Virgin. I don't think it is a magic pill but I know that in the end, I need to stop eating spoonfuls of sugar out a jar. It is a huge red flag, not healthy, and I won't be attaining my goal unless I address the issue. The book says, sweet tooths are genetic. I believe it.

So the plan weens you off the high sugar impact food by switching to medium sugar impact food for two weeks. The next two weeks switched to low impact food. The menus seems healthy and very doable as I leave for Thanksgiving week on Tuesday. Credit for 1 Day down.

curleypudge: "the siren call of poptarts" Sugar in a thousand forms of evil call my name This is what I hope to be freed from.

MountainMomma; The priest at mass talked about being careful to build Xmas from the inside in a spiritual realm. If we rely on all the material stuff, Xmas day comes and seems empty.

BBE: I think about Wagner and his troubled life. Genius guarantees no happiness, certainly. The "tristan chord" is on every sight singing test given as a music major.

Lexxiss; Super credit for back in maintenance range. That was a lot of work and you deserve the lower number.

gardenerjoy: The "I don't care statement" is super tough. I start to tell myself how great my life is and I don't need anything eles - like a food plan.

silverbirdh: Love quote "a bowl of pointless. . ." I could fill in the blank with anything.

Last edited by maryann; 11-23-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #233  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi Coaches,

Sigh. Another few days of eating too much. Not sure when I am ever going to figure out how to stick to a healthy eating plan. I hate this feeling of starting over.

Credit for making a healthy lunch to take to work tomorrow. Credit for posting.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #234  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

A bit of a melancholy mood today and wanted to post to just say that I'm thankful for all of you - your thoughts, opinions, tips, ideas, compassion, support and diverse beliefs and backgrounds - and yet we come together with only good wishes for one another. Thank you.

On scale this morning and it was 163.8-164.4 so I'm solidly up four pounds from when I returned after my father's funeral - I had grand visions of using that 159/160 number as another jumping off point and dropping down to 155 fairly easily... (not sure where my brain was) ... now I find that just getting back to 160 is a major challenge. Of course, I want a pound down per day on plan. If only.

Put on a new-to-me Diana Krall Christmas cd this morning with candles lit on the hearth and gloomy rainy skies outside. They're calling for snow on Thanksgiving, but still several days for that forecast to change. If so, we'll back our dinner time up earlier to 1 p.m. or so so the in-laws can get back through the narrow country roads before it gets messy.

Mind battle today was whether to make my homemade pasta au gratin with crumbled hot turkey italian sausage. I determined that I couldn't make/bake it and have it around when alone. I'll make a half recipe in a few days when DH is around more. I know the calories and can work them in for ONE serving but not for a few.

I'd never thought of baking ingredients being ANY sort of temptation in the least ... until soon after DH and I were together and I went to make toll house cookies and all of my morsels were gone. I thought he moved them, so questioned him. Then felt bad. To me - bleh - not sweet enough But put a fresh baguette on the counter and I keep going back to it. Baked potato? I'm all in. That said, today I baked several large potatoes. Lunch? Baked potato. Dinner? Salad and baked potato. Phooey. Calories was probably not over by much, but not sure. Interesting how we all have something different that challenges us! One benefit is that it's a filling food. But POTATO TWICE. Edited to say that I looked up the calories and it's fewer than 200 calories for each, before the toppers ... but I am good with that. Knowledge reduced the guilt.

I'm a list maker as well, and recently designed a daily to do list that I created from the best of several others I'd seen ... adding lines for things to enjoy as well. I print them off my computer and keep modifying as make them handier. My sister joked that there weren't nearly enough lines for all she does in a day ... I said I don't want to make each of my days just a "to do" list without living. I felt like it's another "topper" move she does. {You do this? Well, I do more than you do. } Oh well.

Read the start of the green Beck book and a good refresher that I can control my behaviour and to strengthen the resistance muscle. That needs some serious work.

Does anyone else feel guilt or feel like you're off plan when you just THINK of eating something or talk yourself out of eating something? In retrospect I realize that I put more negative thoughts on myself even when I DO bypass something for thinking about it... if that makes any sense.

Busy workday tomorrow - staff lunch to wish a departing working well ... not sure where.

38 days until 2015. What can I do with those 38 days?

Last edited by nationalparker; 11-23-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #235  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Double credit. Squeezed in 20 minutes of exercise despite a very busy day. Went to a potluck, having given myself permission ahead of time to eat what I wanted & enjoy it. Ironically, I probably ate less & enjoyed it more than my previous MO of over-indulging and then feeling guilty. Planning it took away the forbidden excitement, I guess. Like drinking stops being so exciting after you turn 21?

maryann, re what the priest said. My sainted mother used to be appalled at the Christmas stuff going up right after Thanksgiving! This year, I stopped in a hobby store a week before Halloween and Christmas was in full steam. Granted, the creative crowd has to get an early start, but NO fall stuff on Oct 25?? Mom's been gone a long time, but I could imagine her response!

karenrn good luck on the MFP challege. re doing too much at the holiday - I had an epiphany a few years ago along the lines of, 'the guests really don't care if you've washed the windows." (Well, most don't.)

Silverbirch, kudos on avoiding the unnecessary carbs, disguised as comfort food.

BBE, an autographed book is special! And at Goodwill! Awesome.

Lexxis, good with only one purchase at Costco! I wonder if it's possible to shop warehouses AND stay on Plan.

Tomorrow I put that question to the test. Armed with my food list, I plan to fly by the aggressive hair-netted sample ladies.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:02 AM   #236  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - (Freddie Mercury, Nov 24, 1991)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Best day in a while for being 100% on plan for food, CREDIT moi. To do that I had to skip the generous array spread out for fellowship hour. Again, it bugs me that it's easier to skip it all than to have only one item. Oh, Well. Evening snack was one Mandarin Orange - still enjoying them.

Walked, CREDIT moi, in a coat that was too warm. By the time I got home about noon other folks were out in T-shirts. In my quest to declutter, I emptied one box in my basement. I discovered my container of 25 U.S. one dollar coins that I was saving. Feel almost bad that I've retrieved them and my kids won't find them some day in the future. DW has this myopic notion that a phone that doesn't work, can't be fixed, and costs very little to replace should be . . . tossed out ("recycled" she says). So I gave it to her with the proviso that she never tell me its fate.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Good ole brain generating "recursive layers of resistance" - no reason to make it simple. Wish your area well today for any announcements.

CeeJay - Starting over is always a better choice than not starting over. Kudos for packing your lunch already for a good start.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Yay for buying only one bag when four called.

silverbirch – Choice words, "pointless bowl of cereal" - like so much food that crosses the lips.

maryann - Love reading about your pecan picking day. Kudos for working to find the right diet.

nationalparker – Yep, it bugs me no end when I lust for something silly even when I don't eat it. Kudos for recognizing that beating up on yourself is worth striving to avoid. LOL at discovering that your new DH gets his fingers into baking goodies.

Karen (karenrn) - Yep, Kudos for avoiding the sweet. Thanks for the reminder, "I know this week will be challenging enough, I don't want to start now."

Mountain Mamma - Yay for enjoying the food at a potluck. I like being reminded that enjoying food is a goal.

Readers -
Quote:
Day 28 Get Ready to Weigh In

Tomorrow marks the end of your second week of dieting. When you get up in the morning, step on the scale. Wear the same weight clothing as you wore last week. Calculate your change in weight, add a new dot on your weight-loss graph, and connect the dots.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 204.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #237  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Hi Coaches!

A quick check in before work. Credit. Yesterday OP and a little under calories. I was going to an evening meeting and planned for a treat. It was there. Credit for planning and logging.

In prep for this busy week I got my two pies baked this morning. They need a few days to set. I picked up my pile of clothes in the office recognizing it's far easier to keep up.

Last night at the meeting someone mentioned the St. Francis of Assisi prayer in passing. This morning those words I learned in song almost 40 years ago were in my mind. To me, it's a reminder of the power of working with others. When I check in here every day I hear your words and they affect me as I go on with my day. Thanks for being here everyone!

BBE, Queen was one of my BIL's favorites, as he was of the age and from Great Britain. He passed on last year before Christmas. I'm sure, now, that I'll have some Bohemian Rhapsody playing in my head today as I remember both he and Martin. That is good. Thx and kudos for a stellar day.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #238  
Green Tomatoes

I realize I've forgotten the habit of calming myself before I eat. The SSSheet was reminding me. I ran out of days and haven't printed a new one. Printed. I'm surprised how easy it was to develop the habit of putting my fork down between bites and how hard it's been to develop the habit to take three deep breaths before I start eating. CREDIT for persistence and curiosity.

Resistance technique 5 of Success Skill 8 (Follow Your Plan, No Matter What) is "Read all of your response cards--including these additional cards." CREDIT for reading them this morning. I have a response card about reading response cards, heh.

Quote:
By reading my Advantages and Responses and practicing the other Beck skills, I am building new pathways in my brain.
I rewrote her additional cards to suit me right now. For some reason, the phrase "I've got this" keeps appearing on my cards. Right now, that's a phrase that gives me both comfort and confidence.

I decided last night that I need to set some boundaries for the coming days and weeks. In the real world, choose what I'm going to do and let go of the notion that I should be doing more. It's enough. In the virtual world, I know that I do some good on social media, but I spend way more time there than it's worth. And, I see a lot more ugliness and negativity than I can handle. I'm going to try this experiment today -- no Facebook, Twitter, or news sites until I've finished my writing for the day.

WI: +0.35 kg, Exercise: +35 835/1200 minutes for November, Food: 90% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

nationalparker: while you have the green book out, read Success Skill 4 (p. 66) -- Give yourself credit. It takes practice to let go of the habit of negative thoughts about yourself and replace them with praise. You definitely deserve credit for not eating something that you wanted. Maybe it would help to say "That's not about me" -- that would both detach you from the food and from the desire for the food. And, then, give yourself credit for saying "That's not about me"!

Lexxiss and nationalparker: thanks for noting how well our group functions in our mutual care of each other. I needed to see that today.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #239  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Credit OP on the new Sugar Impact Diet. I felt good and slept better than I have for weeks. Food is in MFP and I have planned a walk.

Credit for spending the time Beck tells us we need to to be successful in a food program. I reset my MFP nutrition goals. For the next two weeks my daily totals are no more than 50 grams of sugar, at least 75 grams of protein and around 60 grams of healthy fat - avocado, nuts, etc. . . I also change the "starting week" day to get accurate weekly totals. I put my weight in.

While doing all this I was able to look back at my weekly nutrition totals. I have logged over 110 days straight. So here is an eye opening statistic. The average amount of sugar I had been eating for the week was nearly three times what I will be eating now. And I was trying to diet. This of course is proof of what I have been ignoring for months. The "Diet Foods" I have been choosing are not helping me. I was keeping calorie totals low but the type of calories (fruit, whole wheat bread, nonfat dairy) were keeping me hungry. So no more than two fruit a day, no wheat, and small amounts of full fat organic dairy. I know in my heart this will work.

Big trip planned for tomorrow. Visiting lots of "safe" family - those member we really enjoy. It all culminates in a trip to Yosemite. The boys have never been and I am very excited. I am off to the healthy food store to find smoothie foods that I can pack with my travel blender. I will experiment with recipes this morning and than pack ingredients into "snack" ziplock bags.

Wave to all and Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #240  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

Lost a pound this past week, CREDIT! Having the Monday weigh in for the challenge really keeps me on track if not the whole weekend at least Sunday. Actually I deserve the weight loss, I have been very careful about my food plan and exercise too.

The landscape crew is here today to do some revising and change out some plants. It's a bit stressful as I had to complain about some things I was not satisfied with. Then they let me know something was not right with our valve box (whatever that is). Anyway, the long and the short of it is that a better assessment should have been done prior to their starting the work. Seems like it will all be corrected.

I got out for a nice walk with a friend this morning. We had a good walk and a good visit, credit.

Maryann When I read Yosemite in your post I was so envious. I just love Yosemite. This past summer was the first summer in the last few years that I didn't go for some hiking. I did a backpack with REI a couple of years ago and climbed Half Dome. What a thrill! The year before that my husband, brother and sister in law went for a week and did lots of hiking. Such a beautiful place. We celebrated our 25th anniversary having dinner at the Ahwaunee Hotel. I hope I spelled that right. Have a wonderful time!

Hello to everyone else. I have a list of some things to do and I am leaving now to get things done and be productive.
Closed Thread