Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #166  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

Today was not an OP day--I forgot my lunch and treated myself to a fast foot hot dog--which I didn't enjoy as much as I expected. Exercise was OP, though, so credit for that.

I put on my swimsuit to go out to the hot tub tonight--and it was way too big. I'll be trying on other suits tomorrow to see if any are wearable or if I have to buy a new one tomorrow before I leave Sunday for CA. DD and I are going to spend the day together, helping her pack for leaving for college next week and shopping for clothes for me.

I'll be checking in while on vacation--I need to really pay attention to what I eat while I'm gone.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #167  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Gym, CREDIT moi, was just gym.

Some over snacking was helped by a dinner of only gazpacho. It comes out different every time DW makes it; last night had more tomatoes just because more were available. Last night also had more garlic - I can't have too much garlic.

onebyone – Have a good weekend firing all your stuff - hope it comes out well.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for grocery stores that always have salads to go.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Starting out by going down and then having to come back up is the hard way to do it. Kudos. DD just took away some of our old vinyl records. She was so happy that we had some Peter, Paul, and Mary. Adult kids never seem to comprehend that we had a life before them.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - Working a ten hour day and still avoiding the junk food is Kudos worthy.

nationalparker – 90 minutes on paperwork is a worst nightmare. Kudos for not eating about it.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Yay for a swimsuit that's too big; Ouch for having to shop for a swimsuit.

ForMyGirls - Ignoring chips from the fish and chips is a big deal - Kudos.

Readers -
Quote:
day 6 Find a Diet Coach

Yes, you're going to need a diet coach. Are you having any sabotaging thoughts? Perhaps you prefer to keep your diet private. Or maybe you're uncomfortable with asking for help. In my experience, however, very few people who have struggled with dieting can lose weight and sustain that weight loss without help and encouragement from another person. Studies consistently show that getting someone to support you increases your chance of success.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 84.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #168  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Today was a bit all over the shop - not really sure if I was OP as I haven't logged it yet. I have actually come back to rewrite this part after writing personals. It used to say I was Op but I realised by the end of my post that that was BS! So - what got me? I think the 'woe is me' - long week of discomfort, not getting to exercise much, ratty kids today who used up lots of my emotional energy. Realising that I am awfully good at pretending I was on track when I wasn't. It wasn't a big blow out, but I left the dinner table feeling fuller than I am now used to. (Suddenly I am remembering this fabulous phrase from my childhood - about stopping eating when you have had an 'elegant sufficiency' - aka normal fullness). Credit to me though that I was putting quite a lot of brakes on - chose healthy takeaway, with low carbs (which was what Required to be close to OP) and had fruit and custard for dessert. How to do it even better next time? Eat less of the takeaway. Face up earlier in the evening to the fact that I was procrastinating about organising dinner so that I didn't end up in take away land.

Credit for getting out and walking today despite continuing back pain and kids on deck. My older daughter made the great suggestion that I could walk around the park while they played in the playground- which worked great. I felt a bit of a goose going round 5 times, but it meant I got to walk at a decent pace without anyone complaining and they got to have extra time in the park!

It has been frustrating not to be able to exercise much this week. Feels like my resolve and determination is a bit weakened. Hoping that I will be able to walk a bit ths week and stay off the bike till back is fully mended. Scared too that a week with limits exercise will mean a bad weigh in next week. Oh well! :-)

Gardener joy - yay for planning a salad

Nationalparker - I am too intrigued for words to know what Big Bad Voodoo Daddy is????? My CSIRO diet probably won't be too your liking if you are not a fan of meat. You could do it with legumes, fish and eggs, but it would mean a lot of sourcing your own recipes as most in the plan are meat based - which might well defeat the idea of it being easy to plan.

Lexxiss - yay for taking your bike along to the car service!

New lifestyle - well done for resisting the junk food at the end of a long day

Onebyone - nice work planning how to stay on plan while you are away for the weekend.

Beth - hooray for too big clothes. Such a beautiful feeling! Good luck with staying OP while you are away. What is the most potent sabotaging thought you think you will face? And what is your plan for responding to it?

BBE - actually you can have too much garlic! An ex of mine, who was not an experienced cook at the time, cooked a dish that called for 3 cloves of garlic. He got confused and put in 3 bulbs. We are it just before to go a choir rehearsal. Very not popular with my fellow altos!
Old 08-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #169  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

I am very thankful for the weekend. My back needs to get to yoga. Too much office sitting. I never realized how much exercise being a classroom teacher was until I took an office job.

My boss went to bat for me with the district office but it was a no go. I have my job for this year and funding is up for grabs next year. I am proud that I did everything I could do and have now let it go. I told my boss we will have a great year and we will. Didn't have to overeat over any of it and today weight is at ticker (Amazing considering chocolate consumption early in the week.)

DS finished his second day at a new school (sixth grade) He is very content and wasn't scarred by knowing very few kids. DH asked, "So that was his big transition?" We are blessed that DS is very self confident and not dependent on the opinion of others. I want to be just like him when I grow up.

ForMyGirls: Great solution to walk the park. I did that for years when DS was little. I am comfortable leaving him home while I walk the neighborhood.

BethFromDayton: Credit for clothes shopping. It was critical for me to continually toss out clothes that didn't fit and to buy a few becoming outfits on my way down the scale.

Last edited by maryann; 08-17-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #170  
Green Tomatoes

I got up early to go to the local Whole Foods that's having a sale on bulk items -- I bought wheat and other things that I can try in the flour mill I got this year. Should make some fun breads!

I had a bakery treat from WF for breakfast and enjoyed it. I'm hoping that the unusual circumstances will keep my brain from thinking this is something normal. The rest of the day has the usual foods planned as further way to keep from triggering cravings.

Thanks for being here, coaches! It's so helpful to be able to have a treat and then to go right back to normal because I told you all that's what I was going to do.

WI: +0.05 kg, Exercise: +50 715/1500 minutes for August, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 08-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #171  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi all,

It's after 11, I have to leave at 0400 for my flight and I'm not packed. I'm checking in anyway. I'm going to bring some blank cards for writing new response cards for the difficulties of thinking I've had so much success I can take time off. I'm also packing the Beck book for the plane to help me put them together. Because I've had so much success is why I need to stay on plan--to maintain that success and improve on it.

I haven't read posts today--but DD is packed for college with everything here (which is almost all the stuff she's taking). My laundry did get done so packing should be fast, especially since I only have one pair of shorts and one pair of capris that fit. Fortunately, I did find a dress for the bar mitzvah and I have another I can wear to the Friday services. Sorry--I'm rambling--off to pack. I'm bringing my computer and will be checking in. I need to.

Take care, all
Old 08-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #172  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – DW and I took a stack of vinyl records about one foot high to a place that sells used records. We sold the bunch for $16, CREDIT moi. That means that we don't have to figure out what to do with a cubic foot of stuff we no longer need. Interesting, the good classical music sold for about $0.25 per disk - he'll try to sell it for $1.00 per disk, with few takers. The jazz was highly valued. There's a group of collectors for jazz.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I was shocked when I learned that even wheat berries have a life span. I thought they lived forever. Apparently, if you want them in your survival shelter you need to store them in nitrogen. Thought you'd like to know that, LOL.

maryann - Kudos for doing what you had to do with your boss. Congrats to your DS for facing a new situation with confidence.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Waving toward the Dayton airport. Have a good journey. Kudos for planning mindful eating during celebratory times.

ForMyGirls - Yay for a DD smart enough to suggest that you walk while she played. Around here, the soccer moms can be seen walking around the field while the kids play. [LMAO at three bulbs of garlic - yep, that might exceed my limit, too.]

Readers -
Quote:
day 6 Find a Diet Coach

In many ways, I'm serving as your diet coach. Through the pages of this book, I'm providing you with the same advice that I've given to dieters over the years. But you also need a real live person to talk to, someone you like and on whom you can depend.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #173  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies – DW and I took a stack of vinyl records about one foot high to a place that sells used records. We sold the bunch for $16, CREDIT moi. That means that we don't have to figure out what to do with a cubic foot of stuff we no longer need. Interesting, the good classical music sold for about $0.25 per disk - he'll try to sell it for $1.00 per disk, with few takers. The jazz was highly valued. There's a group of collectors for jazz.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – I was shocked when I learned that even wheat berries have a life span. I thought they lived forever. Apparently, if you want them in your survival shelter you need to store them in nitrogen. Thought you'd like to know that, LOL.

maryann - Kudos for doing what you had to do with your boss. Congrats to your DS for facing a new situation with confidence.

Beth (bethFromDayton) – Waving toward the Dayton airport. Have a good journey. Kudos for planning mindful eating during celebratory times.

ForMyGirls - Yay for a DD smart enough to suggest that you walk while she played. Around here, the soccer moms can be seen walking around the field while the kids play. [LMAO at three bulbs of garlic - yep, that might exceed my limit, too.]

Readers -
Quote:
day 6 Find a Diet Coach

In many ways, I'm serving as your diet coach. Through the pages of this book, I'm providing you with the same advice that I've given to dieters over the years. But you also need a real live person to talk to, someone you like and on whom you can depend.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #174  

S/C/G: 106.4/ticker/?? (kg)

Height: 169cm

Credit to me today for using the park as my "natural treadmill" again. Had two massages from my partner over the weekend so the back is feeling vastly better (amongst his many attributes is a qualification is massage therapy :-)). Credit also for planning the day to enable our fortnightly end of kid week curry and cider night without it feeling like a binge. And credit for stopping eating when I was normal fullness - there was more leftovers than in the past and I have binned them :-)

kids baked some muffins with my Mum today so I had a quarter to try it. Pleased with that - feels like it was a rational response - having none would have been a bit flattening for proud little bakers but that small piece will not have damages my diet. I am struggling a bit to work out the difference between eating something to be polite and using that as an excuse. For today my revelation is that I think there are situations were it will hurt someone else to not eat something, but they are few and far between, and it is always possible to limit the amount you eat.

Maryann - LOL on the being like your son when you grow up. I love those moments when you see a strength or skill in them that you admire.

Gardener joy - I so hear you on the challenge of keeping a treat as a treat and not suddenly thinking it normal. I reckon that is definitely a key "thinking like a thin person" thing.

Beth - yay for turning around the "I have had so much success ...." thought.

BBE - yay to decluttering and earning pocket money all at the same time. With jazz and classical in the mix I think I would like your music collection? Any favourite sub-genres?
Old 08-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #175  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Default Poop or get off the pot!

This is going to be my journal entry here today! Well, the more graphic one to perhaps shock myself or what I'm not sure. But I have GOT to start following through with the actions to support words. yesterday wasn't a complete bust by any means, with a light lunch and a heavier dinner, but in my mind it was because the dinner was the last on my mind. Grilled chicken sandwich and steak fries but I ate nearly all of the 12 or so steak fries, (not tiny pieces, but a few inches long). In hindsight, that's not accounting for pounds, but it's my continued lack of followthrough that I need to address in my mind. Either it's important and I deal with it, or hush up about it and keep as I am.

Went clothes shopping and that brought forth a renewed desire, so we'll see. I don't want to be back into the plus sizes and I'm close. It was a big day years ago when I was no longer in those and could pay much less for clothes. THAT is the market to get into - designing and marketing affordable, quality plus-size clothes. I have no talent in that area, though.

Our day's plans changed throughout the day, so dinner wasn't on the patio, but we will enjoy that today. Packed up much of the camping gear last night (well, DH did ... I rummaged around and did oddball things and commented on the number of gadgety things he's added to the stash, some of which don't make the cut).

Today's simple goals: journal, track calories eaten on index card, write out new response/why cards. And get in more veggies. Tomorrow I'll report back that I've done all and will deem today a success and give myself some credit.

Hopefully will get back to personals here later but it's harder when we're both around to sit at the computer and plug away.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #176  
Green Tomatoes

Today's challenge is lunch out to celebrate my brother's 50th birthday. We're going to a restaurant called Gulf Shores that specializes in southern-style seafood. I've already picked out my entree -- seared cajun tuna over a salad. I'm going to eat the sweet (really sweet!) corn muffin that comes with it as dessert and call that one of my afternoon snacks.

WI: +0.15 kg, Exercise: +40 715/1500 minutes for August, Food: 80%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

BillBlueEyes: thanks for the wheat berry info. All the books that push getting your own flour mill prefer to tell the story about the wheat berries found in a Pharoah's tomb that still had all the components needed to make bread after thousands of years in storage.

ForMyGirls: yay for your natural treadmill! Good insight to recognize that politeness eating is rare and that it only takes a bite or two to be polite -- all anyone wants to hear is "that's so good," after all. One of Beck's books seems to imply that one should just say "no" no matter what, but I was never entirely comfortable with that approach. I think your approach would work well for me.

nationalparker: Can you establish a french fry policy? I went through a phase where I never ordered them (I was surprised how many restaurants, even bars, would substitute a salad or some fruit for the french fries) but ate a certain number off my husband's plate. Now, my husband doesn't order them either and, it turns out, I can go for months without french fries.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #177  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches. Credit for yoga and cleaning house halfway. My back seems a little better. Planned pilates. Credit for OP yesterday and this morning, leaving a third of my breakfast. I will finish the house this morning.

I did not realize how exhausted I was from work. I sat down on the couch at 11:30 a.m. and woke up at 3:00 pm. It has been a long time since that has happened.

gardenerjoy: I have a wheat mill and I love it. DH brought me a sack of what he grew which is cool. I especially love grinding popcorn into flour. It makes delicious muffins. I grind small amounts and keep the flour in pint and a half mason jars in the freezer.

BBE: Congrats on freeing yourself from the bondage of 1 cubic foot of stuff.I love that feeling.

ForMyGirlss: I hear you on the back pain. I am not a chronic sufferer, thank god. I hope mine continues to dissipate.

BethFromDayton: Have a good trip.

Last edited by maryann; 08-18-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #178  

S/C/G: 225/225/145

Height: 5'6"

Hi there,

I'm new to the Beck Diet, just a few days in. One of the activities was to give credit, and I noticed some people doing that here. So, I'm going to try out posting it here as a reminder to myself to take time for credits and/or reminder cards.

Credits: picked out diets 1 & 2, went shopping for healthy foods (even though I won't start diet for about two weeks), cooked a reasonable dinner rather than eating out, went shopping for new work out shoes (got some great bright ones), added a few more advantages of losing weight to my growing list.

I look forward to getting to know everyone here,

K

Last edited by khemistry; 08-19-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #179  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Welcome khemistry

khemistry

And, in honor of your first post,

How did you find out about the books by Dr. Judith Beck?

And how did you find our forum here on 3 Fat Chicks?
Old 08-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #180  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - National Aviation Day (Happy Birthday Orville)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – It was a 100% on plan eating day, CREDIT moi. I stood down several platters of factory made foods - including glazed donuts - that tried to pretend that they mattered to my happiness. It was a temptation to have a glazed donut since they don't cross my path very often any more.

Several good walks, CREDIT moi, including to our community garden to harvest some more tomatoes. I'm such a sucker for fresh garden stuff. We had green beans with dinner and neither of us could stop talking about how much different they tasted than the standard grocery store beans that have been shipped. Cheers for seasons that keep life different all year round.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Seared cajun tuna is such a good choice when offered Southern - there's some mighty tasty choices bearing loads of cooking fats. [Wonder what we could charge for 'Pharaoh Bread' at Whole Foods?]

maryann - That's a looooong nap - Kudos for taking care of yourself.

nationalparker – Kudos for confronting that which is holding you back. Avoiding the plus sizes is a strong motivator.

ForMyGirls - Congrats for choosing a partner who gives massages. Yep, my take is that sampling the wares of aspiring chefs is one of the few times that eating to please others is more important than sticking to our plan. [Our records were mixed reflecting drifting tastes over the years - lots of operas and symphonies since they're nice to hear uninterrupted at home.]

khemistry - Oh Yes, Kudos for giving yourself credit. And Kudos for choosing your diets. Do you care to share some of your Advantages with us? Glad that you've joined us.

Readers -
Quote:
day 6 Find a Diet Coach

Here's what your diet coach can do:
Keep you motivated. Your diet coach can encourage you by helping you remember why all of your efforts are worthwhile. Give him or her a copy of your Advantages Response Card. When you're on the verge of giving into a craving - when those sabotaging thoughts pop up - turn to your coach. If you start getting discouraged and want to throw in the towel, your coach (as keeper of your memories) can remind you that you don't usually feel that way and that most of the time you actually feel good about dieting.

Closed Thread