Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Default checking in

What a beautiful fall weekend! I had so much fun. Went partridge hunting twice (we got 2)-- long walks in the sunny fall air, went out to eat with friends, visited with my mom, cleaned some of the house, hauled some junk to the dump. It was a good weekend.

My diet on the other hand is just holding steady. DH brought home hard candies and I've been pillaging those. Also had a chocolate bar. Been trying to off set that by not eating as much during meals, however, I'm not writing things down, measuring or counting the calories, so I really am flying blind.

My Pink book and Workbook are on their way and I'm hoping that will help psych me up for another month or two of weight loss.

____ ____

Marci - I feel your pain. Depression is a struggle for me too.

Shepherdess - the first time I had a serious weight loss, I would do aerobics in my bare feet. I ended up really hurting my feet and it did derail my workouts and also my weight loss. Good work looking for alternative exercises!

Beverlyjoy - I'm sorry to hear you're feeling sick. I know what a struggle you've been having getting your surgy scheduled. Sending good thoughts your way.

BillBE: Wow! Way to work it on your trip! Many great choices were made and yummy tomatoes to be had.

seadwaters - Great work keeping yourself motivated!

Everyone else : Keep up the good work!
Old 10-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Coaches,

Thanks for your support, fellow Becksters. I was able to feel on track today and it was a wonderful feeling.

I think the response I used the most was "just do it". Plan and do it. Sounds so simple !

Credit for these exercises:
- Sunday I don't have scheduled exercise because I clean the house - so I cleaned it ! Bending, lifting, twisting, mopping, sweeping, washing windows. Felt great.
- 2 mile walk (in the wind) with my dogs
- Leg lifts

Tomorrow I go back for formal exercise and I WILL NOT let it slip.

Go Seadwaters - get your exercise on too !

Woodland
Old 10-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

What a weekend, Beckmates. What an extraordinary weekend. A 10 +. I have never seen such a stretch of weather. Never. Not sure what the rest of the nation or my Beckmates across the seas are experiencing, but we (AmberPR and I) are in a two week stretch of to-die-for-weather. Above average temps by 20 or more degrees, no rain, and no wind!!! That said, one year ago, we had 6 inches of wet snow on the ground. One year ago today. I remember it vividly.

BillBE, I am amazed you could resist *free homemade brownies. Not even one bite!! Credit, you!! Thanks for your feeling my pain on the Yankees defeat, but then, we've all *been there, *done that, right?? And thanks for keeping my countdown with me to *the event that motivated me to get back on my Beck path. I did not get down to the weight I was when some of my friends had seen me last, but hey, guess what? The event was *not *about *me. It was all good, very, very good. We decided that we all look pretty da**ed good *for *our *age. A pretty salient point at this stage of life. This event was a family reunion of not my family, but a family of six siblings with whom I grew up. Not one single one of them, nor their spouses, nor their kids, nor their grand kids are overweight. ..Wow. Think about that. Not one..in this country, at this time. The odds are pretty staggering.

The weekend weather was over the top..spent the late afternoon Sat. hiking, then got in a bonfire by the lake late into the night without the need of a jacket. .amazing stars, but off to the northeast a big lightening show..great entertainment into the night.

Sun. morning was a kayaking event in a remote lake the park.. A swim at mid-day in my lake...no insignificant event, as the latest I have been in this lake was Oct. 7th, and that was pretty much an in -and -out event just to say I had been in..this was a *swim, a head under water swim cuz I was hot......then spent a lazy afternoon in the double hammock, raspberry picking and another swim--another head under the water cuz I was hot swim. *sigh. Strange, but wonderful weather, and I'll take it. Hope all is well for all my Beckies scattered about the entire globe. Best to all.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:34 AM   #94  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5ft3in

Default Monday evening

Hi Coaches
An on plan day - I have been particularly hungry today so need to be careful tonight. I seem to be able to hold off all day but the evening has become difficult. So - I will go and make dinner, eat it, have my allocated snack. And then leave the TV - which means either bed to read or more work. Maybe bed

BillBlueEyes - That sounds like some diner - the food isn't like we get in our 'diners' that's for sure. So it makes it even more impressive that you maintained food sanity. I think you live in the land of the free FOOD. Keep seeing tomatillos in recipes but have never bumped into one. Maybe when I get to travel to the US - have it on my bucket list
Beverlyjoy - sorry about the flu and the back - you just weren't meant to go this time. Hope it resolved and you get to travel today
Shepherdess - I get plantar fasciitis - sore bottom of the foot. Very nasty I know so I sympathise if that is what you have. It really makes it impossible to do anything standing up
Marci (madrikh) - hope today was better and the medication kicks in soon. CBT has lots of sensible things to say to depression and I am sure you are listening to it.
AmberPr - Drat DHs and their penchant for sweets, candy, lollies - whatever depending on your language! I am about to start logging things again - I get stressed or busy or whatever (no excuses) and stop doing it - and that doesn't work. Too many little things slip in that I don't notice. So starting again today. One of my goals for the week - to do it every day.
Woodland - luck with the exercise. I am down for tomorrow and WILL do it!
Maryblu - love the stories of your waterside life. Enjoy the strange weather - I don't doubt it will get a lot stranger

Have a good day Beckies
_________
Cheryl
Old 10-11-2010, 05:46 AM   #95  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Monday - of Columbus Day weekend

Diet Coaches/Buddies - I reheated my doggie bag of crab-stuffed flounder from the "diner" for breakfast; CREDIT moi. I was late in life to the idea that "breakfast foods" weren't required in the morning, so it was doubly good for that reason. Spent a long day on plan. At a family gathering for dinner I ate sensibly while sitting in front of a bunch of poor choices, including meat loaf, mac and cheese, and potatoes. I did indulge in a small dollop of ice cream and birthday cake - my generic plan allows such diversions at my discretion. Family offers many opportunities to eat to reduce stress. Need to say it here to remind myself: Food does NOT relieve stress.

Took a brisk four mile walk in the morning; CREDIT moi. I enjoy the voyeur aspect of a non-familiar place. The local Halloween decorations are taken seriously. Today's challenge is the long drive home.

maryblu - Getting jealous of Montana weather - your weekend sounds fabulous. It does seem amazing that one extended family in the US can all avoid overweight. By-the-by, have your loons left for the winter yet?

Shepherdess - Seems wise to "make sure that it doesn’t become serious" - hope you found some exercise yesterday that didn't aggravate your feet, but still exercised your active dog.

Beverlyjoy - Sending healing thoughts to your back and stomach so you can drive to your laugh therapist today.

Cheryl (Seadwaters) - Kudos for recognizing that you need to be extra careful after a long day that includes hunger. And definitely put a U.S. visit on your Bucket List, being mindful that the distance and differences between our East Coast and West Coast mirror Australia - we're also a BIG and diverse country.

Amber (AmberPr) - Ouch for "flying blind" with Kudos for recognizing it so you can respond. Yay for living where you get to see Partridges - not a local bird.

Marci (madrikh) - Kudos for recognizing and accepting that there's a cycle and that up will return. And Kudos for continuing to exercise daily, anyway. My belief is that exercise is the best "chicken soup" when you're not in bed to help cure just about everything.

Woodland - Yay for "just do it."

Readers -
Quote:
day 39
Keep Up with Exercise

tip!

If it's hard to make yourself exercise first thing in the morning, lay out your exercise clothes the night before. Tape Response Cards to your bathroom mirror. Remind yourself that your reluctance will disappear once you get started, and you'll be glad you got yourself to exercise.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 253.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 10-12-2010 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Multiple typos. Yay for spell checkers.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #96  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi beckfolks - looks like my trip is cancelled. Phooey!! I am feeling really sad - but I have to do what I have to do. I talked to my little GS on the phone yesterday. He was so excited to tell me about his pumpkin face painting he got at the trip to the pumpkin patch. Little children are so joyful - just made me smile.

I've decided to start using my second food plan - exchanges. I want to use exchanges while recovering from my surgery. It will be easier than calories, I
think.

I've made my plan for the day, got my journal ready with all my tasks to check off, and have done some gentle stretches & strengthening all ready.

Have a good day. Thanks so much for your kind thoughts in regards to my grandson visit being cancelled and my stupid back ouch.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 10-11-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #97  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Food was OP. As a bonus, I have some portabella mushrooms with goat cheese and pine nuts leftover. It’s great to have something exciting for lunches.

Did yoga for exercise and foot is feeling better. I’ll try to run a few miles today and see how I do.

Madrikh, sorry that depression has resurfaced. Kudos for sticking to your exercise and food plan through it all. Hugs and hope you kick depression soon.

AmberPr, yay for a fun and active weekend. My little bird dog would be so jealous to hear about your partridge hunting. Ouch for pillaging hard candies. Hope the arrival of the new beck books will help you get a handle on things.

Woodland, yay for the “Just do it” response. Thanks Maryblu and Nike! Great job getting in all that exercise and for renewed determination.

Maryblu, wow for weather so warm you could swim! We’ve had beautiful warm weather here as well, but we have had wind. We can always count on the wind. Yay for taking advantage of such beautiful weather.

Seadwaters, ouch for hungry all day, but kudos for having such a great plan. Going to bed is usually the best strategy for me.

BillBE, what a great realization that you can have dinner leftovers for breakfast! Your sensible choices in the face of a dangerous spread is impressive.

Beverlyjoy, I’m so sorry you have to cancel your trip, but glad you found some joy talking to your GS about pumpkins. Kudos for finding a plan that you can easily follow post-surgery.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 216.4/217/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Hello my Becksters!

Wow! What amazing weekends you all have had. Even those struggling with depression or sadness -- those are some great credits! I'm proud to be a part of all this combined strength.

I still feel like it's the weekend. Didn't work as much as I needed to. Saturday was a lost cause -- my monthly cycle hit way early and way intense, so I ended up just resting. I splurged a bit on food -- homemade tacos and salsa, two tiny candy bars. Considering the normal binging and cravings I have around hormonal times, I consider this to be a vast improvement.

Yesterday the symptoms were looking to be as disruptive, and I just wanted to go home. I did, but I didn't want to spend another day in bed . . . so it was either lay down or exercise. I've heard that exercise helps cramps, so I did cardio. (I also took drugs, just in case.) THEN I rested. Then, since most of the family had gone to the beach, I sat in my bed with my lap desk and 15 books, revising the opening of my chapter. CREDIT me for always trying to be adaptable to different situations and locations.

Also, yesterday, I made some revisions to my dissertation plan. This first, probably longest chapter is a month late, which naturally shifts the schedule for the rest of the year. Lucky I was alone, because I had to talk myself out of a mild anxiety attack over feeling so behind (and like a failure, etc. etc). I also made plans for two huge events coming up. First, my DP is having bypass surgery at the end of this month, so I took a serious and realistic look at my schedule, in order to stay on track and be able to help take care of her. Second, I decided to spend Christmas with the bio fam in KY, so I ordered plane tickets. I'm already thinking about how I can maintain my exercise while I'm out of town and surrounded by family stress.

Also, instead of getting stressed about going to KY, I've decided to use this trip as a goal-setting experience. I would like to be 10-15 pounds (and the equivalent inches) lighter by the time I get on the plane! Considering what I was able to lose in September, I think this goal seems reasonable. And it excites me!

I am still not writing down my food, nor have I done a plan. I still feel that I'm doing the mental plan fairly well. But this week I want to do the planning, just to make sure I'm not deceiving myself. I have to say, that as long as I'm exercising, I find it easy to stick to a mental plan, and to practice more general resistance techniques. Still, I want to be brutally honest with myself, so.....

Okay, time for me to head to the library and get to it! "You can do it, you can do it, there's really nothing to it"

Supportive hugs to you all!
Old 10-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Hello everyone,

Hope you are having a nice Monday are not feeling too upset to be back at work.

• Got a short walk in this a.m. have one planned for this evening
  • Ate a healthy breakfast
  • Plan to eat a healthy dinner
  • Lunch was o.k.
  • No snacks today

Woodland: I'm having trouble getting back to planning and writing things down too. You're right. Just Do It!

MaryBlu: Man, it was overcast today! Still warm weather though. I don't remember the snow last year… we had a pretty mild winter last year. Less snow than Duluth even. -- Swimming! I need to take a trip down your way one of these days!

Seadwaters: For me a bit of protein before dinner seems to help my evening snacking. Some nuts or seeds usually works. An apple seems to last a long enough time and fill me up for an evening snack. I also like to have a cup of tea at night. -- You're right. I should at least start by writing things down. That I can do.

BillBe: What sort of diet plan do you follow?

Beverly: Sorry to hear your trip was canceled!

Shep: Yumm! That sounds like a great lunch. Glad your foot is feeling better. (Yep, I'm waiting patiently, but I will start logging again today)

MaryC: Those monthly cycles get me every time. Not only do I put on 3 pounds of water weight, but I'm also emotional enough to worry that I actually did gain those three pounds!
Old 10-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Back at work Monday morning. Fabulous time in Tahoe. OP amazingly the whole time. Lots of people in a little house but lots of kayaking and biking. Usually I rationalize extra food when I exercise more but credit moi for resistance techniques in the evenings - "very hungry" evenings seadwaters would say. I told myself food would not relax me or give me relief from group strains. I didn't believe myself but I acted as if I did.
Maryblu: DH and I bought a kayak this weekend. Nothing better.
Woodland: congrats on back on track.
Amber: there is nothing better than a full fall weekend. I hear you desire for a stricter food plan. Writing the food plan has really helped me to track my success, not to highlight my failures. Good luck.
BBE: congrats on sitting in a roomful of people and daring to make different food choices than them. I love to ability to sit apart and be comfortable with my own choices.
shepardess: love yoga for my plantars faciatis (sp?) Hope your run went well.
marycontrary: we have in common the survival of a cycle without food insanity. This is only my second success in years. feels good.

Last edited by maryann; 10-11-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 168/ticker/155

Height: 5'7"

Default checking in

hi everyone!

Thank you for all the kind words. Today has been a better day; my medication dosage has been increased. The weekend was hard, but I'm moving on!

Credits:
-exercising every day
-When I eat off-plan, I am very conscious about seeing it as a "mistake" and not failure, and getting right back on track
-I am still reading and working in my Beck journal
-still reading Best Life and Sonoma diet; getting ideas and recipes
-allowing myself to eat w/o guilt ( I didn't realize this one for awhile, but it is huge for me and my black and white thinking)

I don't have time for personals just now, but did want to say this...
BillBE: coconut ice cream is amazing. It doesn't taste like coconut (not sure how they do that), it's just made from the milk. (wish I could write this in code, I don't want to trigger anyone...) Dark chocolate Coconut Bliss is by far the best ice cream I've ever had!

'Til tomorrow.

Marci
Old 10-11-2010, 10:02 PM   #102  

S/C/G: 197/163/135

It was a nice day in Colorado today. I picked pumpkins and tore down some old plants in the garden.

I also accomplished my full workout this morning. Tonight I can report I'm mildly sore and very pleased with the feeling. Eating was within proper calorie amounts too.

Here's planning for another successful day tomorrow !

There are really a lot of cute smilies to pick from. Coming here is fun !!

Ok I'll stop now...

Woodland
Old 10-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Quick hi to all as I watch my high hopes for the Vikings get dashed again. Too early to say Randy Moss isn't helping, but not too early for me to fear for the old guy throwing the ball. No one on the offensive lines seems too concerned about protecting him.

BillBE, as a matter of fact, the loons are all still around; we played with some of them yesterday while kayaking. They in fact stay until just before freeze up. The time I saw the synchronized swim event right outside my living room window with 15 to 20 loons in it was just before Thanksgiving. So, I have a good month of their company yet. Did see about a dozen Trumpeter Swans on a pond today. They are moving through.

AmberPR, come down anytime. It is really amazing how warm the water still is, but we haven't had any really cool nights yet where you just see the heat rising from the lake in the morning. No killing frost yet and none in the forecast. Yay!

Still practicing Beck techniques/behaviors. Wish I would get good at it and not have to practice so much, and JUST DO IT!!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:19 AM   #104  
KAM

S/C/G: 163/154.5/133

Height: 5'4"

Greetings Beck Buddies –
Checking in after a long and hectic weekend. I had been wrestling for a few weeks with my computer for a video project I was assisting my daughter with. FINALLY completed at midnight yesterday. YAY! Made the deadline! I managed to stay OP and to get some great workouts in between being parked at the computer all weekend.
I did not lose any weight this week. I weighed in exactly the same as last week. I am hopeful this is just a “mini” plateau and soon will see the scale heading down again. Although I have been great with the food and exercise I just have not put the time into advancing in my Beck workbook. I have to put the effort in to learning more or I fear I will not be prepared to stay OP down the road. Goal for the this week PINK WORKBOOK DAILY….

Maryblu – Yay for great weather weekends – Credit for practicing , keep it up long enough and it will one day just be a good habit.

Woodland – Kudos for full workouts and pleasantly sore muscles! Love the happy smiles

Madrikh – Cheers for a better day – Hopeful plenty more are on their way. Lots of credit due that you are exercising every day, reading, and being so aware of the guilt – I understand all too well the Black and white / all or nothing attitude. You are not alone!
Maryann- Woo Whoo – giant kudos for staying OP while out of town! Glad you had a great time in Tahoe!

AmberPR- Yay for great planning, healthy meals and no snacks! Your ticker will be moving any time now.

MaryContrary – You have so much on your plate, yet you remain dedicated and always adaptable and aware – Credits to you!

Shepherdess – Yay for OP yummy lunches. Sorry to hear about your foot. I am a runner and at one point had plantar fasciitis in both feet. I was miserable for weeks. I put a towel or rope across the top of my toes and gently pulled back to gently stretch it out several times a day. Rotated ice and heat along with ibuprofen and no flat shoes and within a few weeks I was much better. I like trail running so I had to stay on flat surfaces for a while to keep my feet stable while running. Good luck!

BeverlyJoy– Phooey for the canceled trip and bad back. Very sorry! Kudos for planning with the food and preparing now before your surgery. I think using exchanges is a very smart plan! Sending hugs your way!

BBE – Yay for discovering dinner for breakfast is fabulous! We also enjoy Brinner (breakfast for dinner) Hope you had a safe journey home! Kudos for checking in with Food does NOT relieve stress.

WISHING EVERYONE A SUCCESSFUL AND HAPPY TUESDAY

Last edited by McKt; 10-12-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:33 AM   #105  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello Beck friends

I'm sorry to have gone MIA. It just got busier...and busier....I did not put dieting first and my eating was poor. I have great fondness for a routine (even if it's a busy one) and there was no routine. I did get lots of spontaneous exercise as I found myself literally running more than once.

I'm hoping that today will be better. I am waiting for one last email on a project that's been going for months and then I am done. I may even go back to bed.

*credit* for going to my Yoga class yesterday, even though my brain wanted to keep working.

Today I think I'll pull out the hourly planner from the workbook and actually do a few days like that. I think it would aid me in getting reorganized, taking care of some of my chores at home and ultimately lead me towards putting my dieting first. I did make a food plan yesterday but it was desparation because I'm out of so much.

I did keep a good sense of humor and always had a "desire" to keep working on myself even when I wasn't-and that is improvement.

Take care everyone!
Closed Thread