Other Reduced Carb Diets - Belly Fat Cure 2011 1

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : Belly Fat Cure 2011 1

ERHR
05-22-2011, 05:41 PM
New thread BFCers!!!

flabsofsteel

I'm not going to tell you how you should think about this but I will give you my perspective. The reason I started dieting last fall was to look nicer, fit into smaller clothes, that sort of thing. But since then it has become a health issue. I became aware that I am at high risk for developing Type II diabetes, which I DO NOT WANT to happen. I am willing to sacrifice a lot to keep my good health.

I have done a bit of reading on various types of diets and have convinced myself that sugars are of no nutritional use to me whatsoever and that a low(ish) carb diet is the most healthful that I could choose in terms of not developing diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc. The BFC serves these interests so I follow Jorge's guidelines. This independent research was crucial in changing my thinking so that doing low-carb for my whole life seemed not just a worthy path for weight maintenance but for reducing my disease risk.

When I first started following this diet I had trouble with the serving sizes and reconciling to myself that pasta isn't worth it and those kinds of things. The further I've gone along the more I've realized how totally unnecessary and superficial things like desserts are. They don't tempt me and I don't miss them. I would rather fuel my body with fat, protein, and some carbs than poison it with sugar.

Increasing my fat intake has really help offset any fond memories I have of sugar. Fat is YUMMY. So I would rather enjoy the foods that are delicious and healthful than pine after what I used to like that I now realize was holding me back. (A possibly important note: I do not use sugar substitutes or eat foods that are low-sugar knockoffs of original recipes. I think that keeps me from wishing I were eating real sugar.)

I can't say that I will never eat sugar-added foods again. I don't really know how long I'll stay on the BFC. But I am happy with what I'm eating. I don't feel deprived. I am comfortably full and eating yummy foods and still losing weight. I think that's a pretty good deal for just giving up sugar and some carbs. For now I'm content to keep my head down and focus on goals on the timescale of months and I'll re-evalulate how long-term this will be when I get to my goal weight. The longer I stay on this diet the more plausible being on it forever becomes.

flabsofsteel
05-23-2011, 07:12 PM
@ERHR, Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of that to me. I really do appreciate it.

The thing is, I am very healthy and I'm actually in a healthy weight range for my height. I am only trying to lose weight to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I had my son 17 months ago, so as you can tell it has been a struggle. I gained 47 lbs with my son. I also had/have to do fertility treatments to get pregnant and we are doing some treatments now which are also causing me to gain weight (hormones, birth control pills, injections to stimulate ovulation, etc) so right now I am about 10 lbs above my pre-pregnancy weight.

You are definitely right about sugars not being of any nutritional value. I completely agree with that. And the whole use of butter, full fat products, oils, etc. is very in line with the way that I like to cook and bake.

It was very eye-opening to read his book and learn about the hidden sugars. I'm really not a fan of all of the processed foods and all of that, but I do love to bake and I love to make sweets like cookies, cupcakes, etc. I wish I could fit that into this diet and I would be very satisfied!

Increasing my fat intake has definitely helped and I am having a LOT less cravings for sweet and carbs, but I'm just wondering how long that will last. Sometimes I just want to eat a REAL cookie - I made some last weekend for my son, they were with whole wheat flour, oats, raisins... they could be "healthy" but it's just the sugar. I'm also having a problem with not really eating the fruits and vegetables.

I have been enjoying eating things like whole eggs, avocado, dressings with olive oil, etc. I am just wondering how long I can last doing this. Sometimes I feel like I am missing out, especially because eating can be a very fun social aspect of life.... like going out for fancy anniversary dinners and things like that.

Thank you so much again for writing to me.

Do you have any ideas about what to eat when you eat at different restaurants?

Sushi?
Italian?
Chinese?
Diner?

flabsofsteel
05-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Also, can anyone give me a full days worth of meals and snacks? I am wondering if maybe I am eating the wrong things.

I am up 2 lbs since saturday and I have been sticking to the diet. 2 lbs is a lot being that I onky lost 1.8 in 2 weeks so I am over where I started!!!

ERHR
05-24-2011, 10:25 PM
flabsofsteel

I haven't eaten out much since being on the BFC. When I have it's mostly been at American places so I just get a burger or something similar to a cobb salad, that kind of thing. In general I go for a meat-heavy entree without sauces and sides of either a salad with a familiar dressing or plain steamed vegetables (non-starchy).

Today I ate:
smart carb tortilla + 5 slices bacon + 1/4 cup cheddar cheese for a bacon quesadilla
1 wedge full-fat Laughing Cow cheese
half an avocado + 1 can tuna fish + 0.5 tbsp mayo
0.5 serving oatmeal + 1 tbsp peanut butter
sauteed Swiss chard: Swiss chard, red onion, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, garlic

JenBear
05-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Hi everyone, i started this diet Monday this week after seeing a segment on Rachael Ray last week (im from NZ so we get your tv programmes a bit delayed). I must say it sounds like the perfect 'diet' for me. Although i am so sick of dieting and flipping from one quick fix to another, never sticking to anything long enough before switching to the next thing.

But to me this makes a lot of sense, especially in terms of making that 'lifestyle change' that i have been searching for. I dont want to be deprived, i dont want to miss out on life. The foods that are allowed on this plan definitely outweigh the sugar treats that i am hoping to leave behind. I hope.

According to my scales i have already lost 1 kilo (about 2 pounds i believe) in the last 3 days and I hope to lose 6 kilos total (13 pounds). I know it doesnt sound like a lot but i have struggled so much to lose more than 2-3 kilos on any plan, and then i gain them all back again + more! Seems to be a concerning cycle so i am hoping to break that now!

Anyway, I have read though pretty much all of the previous posts and feeling very inspired. So we shall see :)

flabsofsteel
05-26-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks again for your reply.

Jenbear, welcome! I hope this diet works for you. I am on week 3.

Does anyone's weight dramatically increase with AF? I just got my monthly visitor today and since Monday I have been up 2+ lbs. Will this go away?

Also, I am going to be starting birth control for 3 weeks before staring a cycle of IVF (in vitro fertilization) is there anything I can do to not gain during this time??

flabsofsteel
05-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Also for an Starbucks fan... I think this Is an approved drink that I finally found!

A tall breve latte.

It's made with half and half instead of milk and you can sweetend with truvia!

Kalisa
05-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Hello all! I'm hanging in here. I tried to add a weight-loss ticker to my postings. Y'all are going to have to sit through 18 more posting by me before I can add the ticker. (Need a total of 25 postings!) That seems rather alot, but so be it, this site is free, with great people. :hug:

I had a difficult week last week, or the last 2 weeks, what w/ having a cold, my computer dying, trying to get a loaned desktop set up (not) then hours spent configuring my hubby's old laptop to my needs. I'm not a techie, and this was frustrating and took a lot of time. I had an Art History term paper to do, and end-of-semester presentations/party/staff meeting for the After-School French class I teach, and an Advanced Drawing Portfolio to finish and turn in. Was I behind? Of course! I sacrificed some sleep, but I got through it all. And I just learned that I got an A in AH! :D

What does all this have to do with weight loss? Well, previously to this program, in similar circumstances, I would have been stuffing my mouth with stress food: sweets and munchies. This time, my only slumps were that I didn't track very well, and I ate too much bread & extra 85% chocolate.

I didn't pig-out, and I didn't gain weight! In fact I've dropped 1.5 lbs, though that's a re-run, as I've dropped and gained them several times since the beginning of the program. However, I am lower now than what has been my cruising (recent "setpoint") weight.

So Bravo to the BFC program for weathering out my stress bunny moments! This is another proof for me that this program is liveable, and can stay the distance! :p

One more week of school, and then I can get more organized, I hope. Now I just gotta eat in a more balanced way, and add more veggies, & be wiser w/ my carb distribution.

How are y' all doing? ;)

Kalisa
05-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Happy Memorial Day!

I dropped 2.5 lbs overnight! :carrot: FINALLY! I finally got a considerable whoosh! :yay:

Five lbs down in 6 weeks, not very fancy or impressive, but if I keep this up, however slow, I could lose about 22 more lbs by Christmas. That is certainly better than gaining it, or staying at the same weight. My NSV (Non-Scale Victory) since my starting point April 18th, in addition to some clothing feeling looser, is 3 inches off my waist, 2" off my stomach, and 1" off my hips.

I'm still planning to tweak the diet a bit, when my life calms down, to try to accelerate the loss, but in the meanwhile I'm usually staying below 15 sugar grams and 120 carb grams, and slowly trucking along!

To those of you experiencing a slow loss, I say to just keep trying. My body, a descendent of sturdy peasants, is made to withstand famine and hang onto poundage, so I have to be very patient to get the pounds off.

So let's just keep trying, and we will eventually break through those barriers. In the meanwhile, on this diet, we can just continue to life our life (minus gooshy white bread and sweets, *sigh.*) N.B. I do eat my whole wheat pasta 1 cup (cooked) at a time - maybe why I'm having a slower loss, but I'm not hungry! :cbg:

Kalisa
05-30-2011, 07:14 PM
Hey, it's lonely here, where is everyone?

:eek:

TheSquirrel
05-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Hey, it's lonely here, where is everyone?

:eek:

I'm still here. I have not lost weight for about a month, but I am feeling good. Clothes are super loose. I haven't been doing the close counting. (As a matter of fact, right now I am unfortunately eating sour gummy worms!) But other than the candy for the weekend, I stay under my sugars and probably are staying within the six carb servings. People who don't see me very often are noticing! I haven't been posting since I don't have any weight loss to post. But I love reading everybody's good news. The struggles are there for everybody. This is a nice slow way to lose weight and I believe to actually keep it off. The program is an excellent way of life. We are human and we make mistakes. The important thing is to pick yourself up, forgive yourself, and move forward with good choices.

celrae
05-30-2011, 11:41 PM
I have been reading this thread since the principals are similar to what I am doing. Once you break the sugar cycle you will notice a big change. Keep strong.:hug:

Eineys Mom
05-31-2011, 10:08 AM
I am still here too! For some reason I have been afraid to weigh in. Its been about two weeks since I last weighed. I have been sticking with the program and my clothes feel loose. I had a couple people say they are noticing. I just dont want to be demotivated by the scale not moving.

I have been working a lot of OT at work and ignoring the gym. I am heading back today. That will give me the courage to weigh tomorrow. I will share the results...good or bad!

Kalisa
05-31-2011, 02:06 PM
Hi folks!

Well, I'm an obsessive daily weigh-er, I can't help myself. So of course I gained the mandatory 1.5 pounds back. Couldn't be water weight from the sodium from eating 2 Trader Joe's Hotdogs, could it? And a few other salty things? Too much sugar from a bowl (45gr) of TJ gluten free Gorilla Munch cereal? And too much dark chocolate while finishing a translation?
I guess I kinda cut loose yesterday, hmm?
Ho hum, it'll come off again.
See-saw, See-saw. Up down, up down....

Have a good day!

Eineys Mom
06-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Finally had the courage to weigh. Down 4 pounds!!!!:carrot:
I have been working really hard at the gym the last few days, I guess it paid off. Although I can barely walk...note to self: Please dont wait so long to go to the gym! It hurts too bad!!!!
Have a great day!

Kalisa
06-06-2011, 04:35 AM
Bad bad me! I ate a buncha (dark) chocolate covered almonds, I can feel the sugar rush... I didn't count them at all. I'll gain 10 pounds by tomorrow...! :^:

I've been having a really hard time tracking, and have had a lot of exceptions the last week. It's been a really busy few weeks. Potlucks for the end of semester final exams & art critiques, a buffet at graduation Friday, frantically trying to get our long-neglected and under-sized apartment in shape to have my mom's visit (1-month stay,) to the airport on Saturday to pick her up: Starbucks and airport food-court, and today a family restaurant get-together.

Not enough sleep for the last few weeks, hence accumulated fatigue, so tonight I indiscriminately munched on chocolate covered almonds while writing reports for my online teaching. *sigh* :^:

Oh well, I'll be back on track tomorrow!

celrae
06-06-2011, 08:27 AM
One thing I need to work on is a list of restraunts that have food that is tasty and on my plan. I have managed but, not always happy with what I am ordering. I do carry snacks in my car or purse and try to plan out my day regarding eating ahead of time. Last night I checked to see if breakfast was in order and this morning I defrosted chicken for dinner. Trying to keep a few steps ahead.

TheSquirrel
06-06-2011, 02:40 PM
It has been awhile since I have posted because the scale hasn't moved and I have been really lax in my keeping track of my food. But, I am down a pound and very happy! I really need to dial in and record my food in the me and jorge tracker. Hope you are all well. Keep it up! It is amazing what no sugar (or actually very little) will do to shrink our bodies!!!! Who knew? :)

sage1313
06-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Hi everyone! I think I only posted once on the old thread, but I definitely followed along quite a bit :D I've been on BFC since the first week of March, and as of this weekend, i'm down 21 pounds. I'm feeling really good about myself and have met my goal weight (although now I have a new goal - 6 more pounds until i'm at my "wedding weight" from 9 years ago :smug: This has definitely become a lifestyle for me, but I do indulge in some chocolate every day (i'm hooked on trader joe's Simply Lite choc bars made with sugar alcohols - I have 4 squares a day (one carb count) :carrot:

Kalisa
06-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Another pound down, slow but hopping along in a gradual downward trend. 6 pounds off! Despite the chaos and lack of regimentation of my life lately. :)

ERHR
06-07-2011, 11:32 PM
I just made kale chips (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Kale-Chips/Detail.aspx) for the first time yesterday and I'm all about them now! Mostly you just taste the fat and the salt and at the end you get a little veggie taste. But they are crispy and awesome and surprisingly reminiscent of potato chips! We've been getting a lot of kale from our CSA so I had to figure out the best way to eat it. This is such an easy recipe, too.

TheSquirrel
06-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Happy Monday! Just checking. Down two pounds, not quite sure how, but I will take it! AF visited last week and I had a super stressful week with no exercise. Anyway, dreading the first half of the week, and desperately looking forward to better days. Hope you are all doing ok. I tried the newest Sobe, can't remember what it is called. The flavor I had was watermelon. It was only 4 carbs per serving so if you drink the whole bottle you are only taking in 10 carbs!!! I think it is kind of like a flavored water, but it was yummy, thought it would be good with some vodka! Have a great week!!!

Kalisa
06-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Hello folks!
My weight is still bouncing along, up & down everyday, but at least it is "stuck" at a lower point than it was a few weeks ago. I haven't really been tracking lately, & I've been eating too much dark chocolate, but am still observing the general principles, so things seem okay. I had a cold this weekend, and am currently punchy-groggy w/ generic NyQuil and Zyrtec, but feeling a bit better, hence should be more energetic and thus motivated to do the right things food-wise. My mom is here for a month, and hubby home alot (during the semester he was always out studying w/ classmates, eating sandwiches on-the-go) so I feel like a food factory, constantly having to produce food. Doesn't make me into a better cook, har har! coz I'm trying to catch up on paperwork, so not spending my time cooking, lol! :P

ERHR
06-13-2011, 03:47 PM
I think I'm emerging from a month-long stall (down about 1.5 lbs from that weight, not sure if it will continue) but when I measured myself yesterday I was pleased to see that in that month I lost two inches off my waist and an inch off my hips! The "Bell Fat Cure" is living up to its name!

trailblazer421
06-14-2011, 11:57 AM
I don't know what to think of BFC, I love the food options, but it seems too good to be true. I have gained about 2-4 lbs since I started it but I am not sure what is going on with my body. I am just so sick of dieting (I have been doing this since about age 10 and I am 53!) WW is so slow, I lost about 57 lbs doing the Core plan on WW but it was kind of restrictive--really could not eat out easily unless you were super creative! I am trying to do the BFC "No fail menus " but also think my body is doing some weird things!

trailblazer421
06-14-2011, 12:12 PM
has anyone had any experience with gaining on this at first? Does your body need to re-adjust or something? Jorge says you cannot gain on it but it is like a low-carb but with carbs??? So please give any hints please?!!!

ERHR
06-14-2011, 12:40 PM
I lost straight from the beginning of the diet. But over time I have morphed the diet into more low-carb than it was intended to be.

Nolagirl76
06-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Hi! I'm brand new to the BFC. I've been on Atkins for 10 weeks and have plateaued. Ugh! I've lost 20lbs, but the last week actually gained a pound. Sooo frustrating when you're being so good! I'm giving this a try. I'm thinking I didn't have enough carbs....? I dunno. Anyway, it was nice to have a slice of toast with my eggs this morning and crackers with my tuna for lunch! Crunch ~ Yum! I'm excited, but nervous. Since I've been without carbs or sugar for so long, will I gain at first?? I hope not. I weigh every morning. It helps keep me on track! I'll update tomorrow!

ERHR
06-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Nolagirl - I bet you will gain at first. Did you back down your carb level after you plateaued in Atkins?

Eineys Mom
06-15-2011, 10:21 AM
New BFCers,

I too lost since beginning the program. But dont be discouraged if you gain. I think your body may have to adjust to this way of eating. But you DO want to take your measurements as that is where you see the biggest difference on this program. I have backed off the scale a bit and only weigh every two weeks. But my clothes are loose and I feel good!

You also want to do some sort of exercise as well. I stopped loosing when I slacked off of the gym for a couple of weeks. But back at it now and loosing again. My weigh-in is tomorrow...hopefully the results will be good!!

Good luck!

Nolagirl76
06-15-2011, 10:40 AM
I did lose, 0.5, but it's something :)
I know it's not completely accurate to weigh everyday, but it has to be in my face, ya know?
It's nice to have a few carbs again, I am eating my carbs before 3pm though. I don't like the way I feel otherwise. I do need to get moving, though. I've never been an early riser, but I may have to become one to fit it in my schedule. Ugh :-(

dancingfish
06-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Been on Vacation for the last 10 days.. and didn't even try to stay on plan.. and my scale punished me this AM.. 5 lbs in 10 day!! OMG!! back in the saddle today...

Welcome to all the new people!! great to have some new opinions and prespectives!

I want to second the body measurement thing for all the new folks. Do it now!! while the BFC book sings about loosing 10lbs really quick I think most of us have seen sloooowww progress on the scale..but have seen remarkable progress with loose fitting clothes AKA inches going away. So if you have your measurements from the start it really helps when you find yourself struggling!

I too struggle with not eating pasta-- the desserts don't bother me anymore.. I think my body doesn't crave the sugar any more... But I have found some fresh ravioli that I can fit into the plan... not as large of a serving size but hey I get to put as much cheese on it as I like.

For me its the Summer veggies and fruts that are calling my name.. We grow alot veggies in our yard and not having free reign to eat as much as I want of them is going to make this summer REALLY HARD.. I mean who doesn't love Tomatos and Mozzerella???? Tomato sandwhichs??? Fresh Green beans by the handful???? Popping peas while you pick them???? Now that is hard for me--much harder than cookies!

mistyr01
06-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Hi, I started the BFC 1 week ago today and have lost 4 lbs! I am really loving this way of eating and I've noticed that I'm not having intense sugar cravings anymore, like I did before I started.

ERHR
06-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Great post on Amber's blog (http://www.meandjorge.com/2011/06/in-defense-of-belly-fat-cure.html) this week responding to BFC critics!

Nolagirl76
06-16-2011, 01:08 AM
Thanks so much for the link. Wow, great info!

I still haven't eliminated splenda. Tomorrow will be my first day giving that a shot. Wish me luck!!

Dani :-)

Eineys Mom
06-16-2011, 09:29 AM
I will check out that link..thanks. I found that when I gave up Splenda my cravings for sweets all but vanished! That was a biggie for me.

My weigh in today found me down 2 pounds!!! :carrot:

dusty57
06-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Thank you sooo much for this thread!! I've been away from this site for 3 years...way too long. The scales have been going up for me this past 2 years. I had major surgery-colon resection- 2 yrs ago and I guess I fell off the wagon when I was deprived of even healthy food-mainly fiber- for so long before and after surgery. Made me totally appreciate healthy food even more. BUT, I stopped exercising because of knee problems and back problems.
I've come to the realization that after putting back on 20+lbs in 2 years, it is only aggravating my pain. So I tried Dukan about a month ago and lost 5lbs in 5 days, but had a lot of tummy problems along with it and I do NOT want to end up in the hospital again.
I bought the BFC last week and started it 2 days ago. I had a wicked headache for 2 days straight, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed because it doesn't hurt today. Was I THAT addicted to sugar? I don't keep cookies and junk food in my house, but I guess there was a lot more hidden sugar in the stuff I ate. I feel like I have more energy today!
So here I am, starting to feel like I have some hope at the age of 54. I think this thread will be my lifeline. So glad to have found you guys!!

Nolagirl76
06-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Ok, so day 1 without splenda is ok so far :) I did have a client recommend Clear Liquid Stevia (GNC) and it's great with no carbs or aftertaste. I enjoyed my coffee this morning! No Crystal Light Packets in my water today, that's a change...

Nolagirl76
06-17-2011, 01:02 AM
Just realized i had sugar free coffee creamer this morning... half asleep... Oh well, tomorrow's another day, right? I'm loving that blog... the videos are so informative! A wealth of info, I've been on that site all day!

Good luck to all... I'll weigh again in the morning. I'm feeling pretty good, drank lots of water (without crystal light). I'm gonna skip the dark chocolate tonight. Hubby just got home, going to bed. Night y'all!

Dani :)

mommy23monkeys
06-17-2011, 04:34 PM
I am so excited to see ths thread! Just bought book last night. Am about to have late lunch. We have invite from friends to eat @ their house tonight. Guess I will take a side so I can be sure to stay satisfied and not get off plan the 1st day. I am very encouraged by stories I saw in book. And of successes I have read about on this forum.
as far as gaining weight on plan, I read that if you are not drinking enough water to move things along, you will have slow colon. Jorge recommends psyllium husks (NOT Metamucil) mixed with water and probiotics. I have not explored these yet. Just thought I would throw that out there after reading book last night.

dusty57
06-18-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm down 3 lbs in 4 days!! Must be doing something right...and I don't feel deprived:)

Nolagirl76
06-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Lost 2 lbs this week :)

Since Wednesday I've been off of ALL artificial sweeteners except Stevia. WOW, what a difference. I had no idea so many of my sweet cravings were from eating sugar free garb... amazing!

After reading Amber's blog, I was motivated to go cold turkey and just cut them out. So glad I made that decision. I feel so much better!

Hope all of you are doing well, can't wait to hear from everyone and share our experiences and help each other.

Hope to hear from y'all soon!

Kalisa
06-25-2011, 06:18 PM
has anyone had any experience with gaining on this at first? Does your body need to re-adjust or something? Jorge says you cannot gain on it but it is like a low-carb but with carbs??? So please give any hints please?!!!
Hello Trailblazer! How are things going for you?
I had a really slow start with this program - I started by gaining .5 lb and then dropped 1 lb on the 5th day, went back up, dropped 3 lbs after a week, gained it back, and just see-sawed along in a very frustrating manner for weeks thereafter. However, I have had a slow downward trend, overall.
Two months in I am now 7.5 lbs down, and I haven't even been tracking since late May, just following the basic guidelines, especially avoiding sugar (aside from a little dark chocolate.) :)
Also, as others have said, the most important way to measure progress on this diet is your tape-measure, rather than your scale. I should also mention that when I am tracking, I just count carb grams, rather than carb portions, so maybe I eat more carbs than some - but try to stay below 120 carb grams/day. So my advice is to keep going - it's a very livable program, once you get through the first few days of sugar withdrawal.
Good luck! :)

Kalisa
06-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Oh phooey! I just made 4 portions of oatmeal w/ almond milk & blueberries, and grabbed my husband's sweetened almond milk by mistake, no wonder the result tastes so good! So my prepared oatmeal is 7.5 grams sugar per serving just for the almond milk, grr! :/

balletbird
06-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Hi everyone, newbie here! I can't believe I read the whole thread (better than eating it). I have been on the BCF diet for one week as of yesterday. I did not lose a single pound. Not exactly the 4-9 pounds I was hoping for, but I did lose one inch around the belly button area. If I hadn't read this thread and seen that others were also having problems with this I think I may have switched diets. Ugg, nothing!

I started a few months ago on the Cinch Diet. I lost ten pounds on that diet but then platued, and didn't lose anything for a month. Then I saw Jorge on the Rachel Ray show. (I have watched the Rachel Ray show all of twice, and each time I started a recommended diet. No more watching RR.....) Anyway, a good thing about the Cinch is that it got me eating smaller meals more often, cut out junk, and I could eat dark chocolate every day. The bad thing about it was that I was making seperate meals; one for myself and then another for what the rest of the family would eat. While I liked the food, no way were they going to live on salads and yogurt parfaits. I did discover greek yogurt on that diet, but was eating tons of it. I also discovered Ezekial bread, which I like.

So after two months and ten pounds I just quit losing, with 30 pounds still to go. One reason may be that I was under-eating. Even though you don't have to count calories on the Cinch diet, I was charting them anyway. I got down to 1000 calories per day in hopes to lose weight faster.

It hasn't worked, and starting today I'm forcing myself to eat more calories. I don't have eating issues, I'm just not starving anymore after getting used to eating low calories. Today I ate extra nuts and more meat. I still eat small meals every 3-4 hours, balancing protiens and carbs. I drink lots of water every day, and I gave up diet pop. I threw out the sweetNlow and replaced it with truvia for my tea. I count all sugars and carbs, and have not gone over even once. If anything I've had problems eating enough carbs. I like veggies and do eat them, I'm just not hungry. I'm less hungry than I was before I started dieting! I know I don't have to count calories on this diet, but like to see where I'm at anyway. It's also showing me that I probably need to find ways to get more food in. Paradoxical, I know.

One thing I LOVE is how I track things. I use the LoseIt app on my Iphone. It is so easy, and I have it set to track my sugars and carbs. I'm very careful with my sugars as I like to have enough left every single day so that I can have some dark chocolate. That makes this doable for me. That and not having my temptations in the house. Out of house, out of thighs.

So, nice to formaly meet all of you people that I have spent a week stalking on this on-going thread. I have copied recipies and borrowed ideas, so thanks, and I hope I can help others as well. Later on maybe, when I can get the needle on that blasted scale to budge.

BCL216
06-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am new to this thread but not to BCF. I am so glad that I found you. I started the BCF in late Feb.2011 because my youngest son was getting married May 7th of this year. Well, I lost 20lbs and was doing great until after the wedding. I just can't seem to get my focus back. I lost 9lbs the first week I was on the program and 3 to 4lbs. every week. I have gained 5lbs. back. Please help me get on track. I loved reading every post and I am thankful to have found it and I love the "BCF" plan. It is the best one I have ever tried. Have a great and healthy week.
B

balletbird
06-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Attention ad company: Kindly remove the Fudge Oreo Cookies ad from sight in low-sugar diet thread.

That is just plain cruel. LOL! Pardon me while I go wipe the drool off my face.

balletbird
06-28-2011, 12:10 PM
My Easy & Yummy BFC Breakfast

BFC French Toast

2 Pieces Ezekial Bread
2 Eggs
Splash Half & Half
Cinnamon
1/4 C Mrs. Butterworth's Sugar Free Syrup (Made with Sorbitol)
Butter

Whip eggs, half & half, and desired amount of cinnamon. Soak bread thoroughly on both sides in egg mixture. Grill on med-low in Pam-sprayed pan. When cooked through, butter, sprinkle with more cinnamon, and top with up to 1/4 C Syrup.

Cook up extra eggs and/or bacon on the side for more protien or extra-hungry appetites.

1 Sugar/2 Portions Carbs

ERHR
06-28-2011, 02:54 PM
balletbird - Unless you're using some kind of crazy eggs, they have sugar. Probably about 1 gram for 2 eggs.

balletbird
06-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Oops, I missed that! Thanks! ;)

BCL216
06-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Double OOOOoops!! for me. I see I need to go back and read my books again and do some major planning. I will create a visual on place it on my frig, to remind me of where I want to be by the end of this year. But I think a weekly reminder would help me greatly. It takes small steps to gain great milage.

BCL216
06-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Great News!
I went back and looked up eggs in the BFC and the S/C value is 0/0 page 303. I am so glad because I love eggs.:carrot:

ERHR
06-28-2011, 10:41 PM
I returned my book to the library a long time ago, but I wonder where those numbers are coming from because all the other nutrition information I see for eggs has about 0.6 g of sugar per egg. Personally I trust multiple sources over Jorge's book.

BCL216
06-29-2011, 09:07 AM
ERHR,
Thanks so much for reminding me to use all alvailable resources, this is what I found. "There are 72 Calories in an average serving, along with 5g Total Fat, 2g Saturated Fat, 0g Trans Fat, 212mg Cholesterol, 70mg Sodium, 0.4g Total Carbohydrates, 0g Dietary Fiber, 0.4g Sugar, and 6g Protein. It also provides 5% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 3% Calcium, and 5% Iron."
I know it does not seem like much, but every little bit counts. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and your thread. I truly want to get this right and it helps to have such great input. Thats what makes this thread great!
Thanks again.

Eineys Mom
06-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Yum! The french toast sounds yummy and a nice change from my normal eggs and toast breakfast...thanks!

And my gosh...sugar is EVERYWHERE! I had no idea eggs had sugar!!! Who would of thought????

ERHR
06-29-2011, 01:24 PM
I was surprised too. I eat 2 eggs many days of the week and like BCL216 said it adds up!

balletbird
06-29-2011, 04:33 PM
My Lose It! iphone app records it as 0.6 Sugar per egg. Shows me I need to record my recipies and check them before posting! Sorry everyone.

So I have been on this diet for almost 2 weeks now, and I still have not lost a single pound. I follow it closely and have not gone over on sugar or carbs, and I don't use the "bad belly" sweeteners. My tracking is precise thanks to the app I use, and I chart every bite I eat. I am "whooshing" all over the place thanks to Benefiber and lots of water, but it's not showing up on the scale. (TMI, I know, but it's related. :o ) I have lost 2 inches now around the belly button, but I am sure it is all "false belly fat," or, well, just bodily waste. So this morning I took all of my measurements, including body fat percentage. I am not giving up yet, I will continue the course and see if I am losing in other areas. However, anyone else who has had such difficulty please come forward and let me know what, if anything, you did to get past it. I'm about ready to ditch grains, including the sugar-free bread I eat. I don't want to get that radical, so someone please save me from myself. :dizzy:

sisterbyheart
06-29-2011, 05:46 PM
Even though it seems like I'm new to this thread, I have read ALL of them over the last two weeks since I've started this new eating program, the BFC. I think we all need to keep in mind, if we didn't have a scale available to us, how would we feel about our progress based on both how we feel and how much looser our clothes are because we're eating this way? As for snacks, the small bags of buttered popcorn are 0/1 with 20g of carbs and no sugars. Also, Durkee Onions that you put on green bean casseroles are a nice little fried treat with my glass of wine before dinner. I can't remember their numbers off the top of my head, but I think it is 0/0 for 2 Tbls. Lastly, I highly recommend fiber pills by Nature's Secret that you can get at GNC and other health food stores. I use 3 of the Super Cleanse per day to keep things regular. :^:

ERHR
06-29-2011, 06:32 PM
It's not such a bad thing to ditch grains - I don't follow Jorge's recommendation of eating 6 servings per day. The only grains I eat now are low-carb tortillas (one a day, not every day) and oatmeal (generally half a serving, pretty much every day). I get my fiber from those sources, nuts, vegetables, beans, and avocados. I really don't miss bread and I'm able to keep my carb percentage a bit lower.

Kalisa
06-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Dear friends,
As I have already posted, my weight loss has been slow, and was especially so in the first few weeks on the program. Interestingly enough, I seem to be losing faster now, and am 8 lbs down since April 18th. ;) Yes, it is a slow loss, but I've hardly been tempted to go off the diet or binge, and the needle is going in the right direction. To me this means if I just stay on the program, I will gradually lose what I need to, without feeling too restricted or "on a diet". I feel like it took awhile for my body to adjust to this way of eating, but now it has finally "given in" and is letting my weight drop a little faster. I haven't tracked since late May, I've just been too busy. I also spent a week mid-June of family reunions. I ignored the sweets, had no sugar but some fruit, and didn't gain any weight, but lost some! I even ate handfuls of corn and potato chips. (I've been eating dark chocolate, too! Helps keep me sane.) :devil:
One thing I WAS doing was eating less WHEAT, and more SPELT bread. Some people are sensitive to wheat, especially American wheat, as opposed to European wheat. (European wheat is less likely to be hyper-bred and GMO, and seems to be less allergy producing.)
So I think trying to reduce GLUTEN intake in favor of low-gluten/no-gluten products is worth trying, and may jolt that stubborn scale.
I'm looking forward to hearing any results of this experiment! :hug:

BCL216
06-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Hi everyone,
As I stated in my first post to this thread, I started in late feb. and was down 20lbs by May th. When I stay true to BFC, I lose on average 3 to 4 lbs.
a week and to be honest. I never have followed the rules strickly. Now if I can get back on track. Balletbird, just remrmber that you did not gain all your weight over night. If you are patient, you will see results soon. Hang in there.

WebWoman
06-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Hi BFC Chicks!
I'm new to this thread and have decided to try this diet based on what I've read on the internet and your postings here. I've ordered the book from amazon, and look forward to getting into it. My experience now is that I eat well for meals, but get cravings in the evening that end up sabotaging my weight loss...I'm really hoping that the BFC will eliminate these cravings. What has been your experience with this? Thanks!

Kalisa
06-30-2011, 02:45 PM
To Web Woman, welcome!

I have found I have less cravings, and less craving for sweets. Also, once I had weaned myself away from sugar a bit (1st few days was super hungry, and had a head-ache, like others have reported) I was hungry less, and less often, and I had less low-blood sugar feeling, the shakes, etc. I do tend to have a few pieces of dark chocolate in the evening, I don't know if it's because of the "treat" factor, or to satisfy a craving.

BTW, another lb down for me today, 9lbs altogether! :cheer3:

WebWoman
06-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the welcome, and congrats on 9 pounds gone!!

I'm somewhat of a coffee freak, but mix decaf with the hi test stuff and I do like it sweetened... If I start to use Stevia to sweeten it instead of Splenda, will I still get sugar cravings? I am very excited to start this plan and appreciate all advice. :-)

Kalisa
06-30-2011, 04:13 PM
From what the book says, Stevia is fine. I don't use it coz I don't like the taste, so I use Xylitol (the Emerald Forest brand, as it is made of birch bark rather than corn), which I have to count as carb grams rather than sugar. Xylitol is very low on the glycemic index. :)

Eineys Mom
07-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Webwomen- I too am a coffe freak. I have found stevia to be a good sweetner and you dont get the sweet cravings you refered to.

Two more pounds for me! :carrot: 21 pounds and still going!!!!

WebWoman
07-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Einey's Mom,

How long have you been on this plan, and what works best for you?

Eineys Mom
07-01-2011, 02:50 PM
WebWoman-

I have been on BFC for right at 3 months now. Typically I eat 2 eggs/ezekiel toast for bfast, some cheese and pepperoni for lunch and meat and veggies for dinner....I know very boring. For snack I will have either nuts or berries...blue but having been splurging with cherries lately. Also a couple of squares of dark chocolate every now and then.

I have found I have to work out in order to sustain the loss. A few weeks back I couldnt get to the gym due to OT @ work and my loss stopped. I didnt gain but i didnt loose. I am motivated by the scale, but only weigh every 2 weeks to not be discouraged.

Hope it helps!!!!

spcdcider
07-01-2011, 08:13 PM
I have spent the last two weeks reading the threads here, blogs, and at sparkpeople I went off splenda first while I was waiting for the book. I am down 5 lbs since Saturday. I do not expect the same results next week. I will be satisfied with 1 lb. I have no cravings and not suffering blood sugar drops. I can not say thank you enough for this way of eating.,

lucia12141
07-01-2011, 08:57 PM
hi I'am new here and just got my book today but still not sure how to do this diet or lifestyle change as he said . could someone help me out please ? I don't understand how to count the 15/6 rule ? does it matter serveing size or no ?

alwaysinging
07-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Hey everyone! I am starting the BFC again today. I adopted this way of eating approximately 6 months ago, and was successful. Unfortunately, I did not stick with it very long. Not because it was hard, I just slowly started "cheating" and now I don't think twice eating a Twix for breakfast. ;)

So, I did my shopping last night and am set and ready to go. I found last time this was extremely family friendly and they ate everything I ate.

I am looking forward to this journey with some new friends!

WebWoman
07-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Hi always singing! I, too, am starting the BFC today, although I've not yet received my book. ;-) Had a hard boiled egg for breakfast and will have a big green salad with veggies for lunch - but what kind of dressing, sugar free, fat free, light, or what??? My understanding is that it's a very low sugar, low simple carb, high protein and high fiber diet - right?

I'm actually at 172 this morning :( but hope to lost 10-12 pounds by the end of July!

BCL216
07-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Hi everyone,
Just popped in to see how everyone is doing. I started my BFC challenge
actually today instead of the third. I thought I may as well get the holiday over with. Anyone who would like to jump in and give it a try is welcomed.
Its a week at a time challenge and I hope I can keep going until I reach my goal. Everyone here at3fatchicks are awesome! The support and advise means so much, Thanks again to all.

Lostchick

alwaysinging
07-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Hi Web Woman! As for the dressing, oil and vinegar would be good. In the book, Jorge gives recipes for homemade dressings, but you could also look them up online. You could get a commercial dressing, but don't go with low fat, as they will likely have added sugars/sodium.

lucia12141
07-05-2011, 04:20 PM
just wanted to say happy late 4th of july to everyone .

LosingWithJorge
07-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Hi! I'm Sarah, and I'm brand new to the board. I started BFC 2 days ago and I'm skeptical that I can actually lose weight without counting calories or starving (which makes me cranky), but I'm down a little bit already, so definitely optimistic!

Using Twitter to hold myself accountable, like a daily journal. Posting what I eat for every meal. Hopefully in a year, I can look back on it and see patterns, what worked, where I could have done better, etc.

I've enjoyed reading all of your posts and look forward to being a part of the conversation!

lucia12141
07-06-2011, 11:09 AM
welcome sarah . these girls are great .

Nolagirl76
07-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Hi everyone! Sorry it's been so long since I posted; I've been getting my salon off the ground!! Down to the nitty gritty... I've lost a total of 6 lbs and I feel great!! My weight loss was only for one week, my weight didn't move last week but I find my body doesn't usually lose weight the week of my cycle. Anyone else notice that? I also find if I don't have the full 6 servings of carbs, I stall. Wow, what a difference from the Atkins way of thinking. Hope to be able to catch up more now!

Eineys Mom
07-09-2011, 08:42 AM
I made it to Wonderland!!!!!!!!!!! :) :carrot:

BCL216
07-09-2011, 05:14 PM
:congrat::cheer3:Eineys Mom.....Hope to join you soon!

How long did it take to get there?

lucia12141
07-09-2011, 08:40 PM
well I for one have decided to wait on checking how many lb I have lost in a week . rain has not been kind to me so can't workout but my food has been on track so hopefully something is better then nothing .

BCL216
07-09-2011, 10:36 PM
If you have the food on track, that in itself is a BIG accomplishment.:broc:
Myself I got off track a bit today and I am feeling like beating my own butt!:club:

LLM
07-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Hey. I am starting the belly fat cure (for the second time) I always go back to pop. It's my weakness. I have tried the kind the book suggest, but it just doesn't do it for me. How have you all kicked the sugar bug??

BCL216
07-10-2011, 08:46 PM
LLM, I can't say that I have totally kick sugar. But I buy the crystal lite with truvia and put it in my water. I drink lots of water without anything and I have a piece of dark chocalate. I try to stay within my limits. I have heard that chromium picolinate helps to stop sugar cravings. It helps regulate insulin. I think tomorrow I will bake some brownies from the book. I personally do better if I have no sweets for the first 2 weeks. But....that is sooo hard! Good luck and stay strong.

Eineys Mom
07-12-2011, 08:46 AM
BCL216,

Thanks for the congrats! It took me right at 3 months to hit wonderland. I still have a long way to go but I'm not rushing it. I look at 10 lbs at a time. I dont expect to be at goal for another year. I'm in for the long haul but will celebrate the small successes along the way!

BCL216
07-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Eineys Mom,
Sounds like a great plan, and you are doing well. I am down 2lbs this am and I am doing the BFC challenge and need to lose 8lbs. by 7/31. I figure if I keep my goals small and realistic, that it is easier and I can do it. I started the BFC challenge & beyond thread in hopes that it would keep me on track and accountable. So far it is working, its just going slow. But I have lost 16lbs. all together sense starting in late Feb.2011. I think that I need to watch my salt intake as well and pay a little more attention to my calories.

Have A Good Day!

Eineys Mom
07-14-2011, 10:06 AM
one pound at a time....

WebWoman
07-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Congrats Eineys Mom, BCL and all who have lost weight! I was on vacation at the beach last week, and tried my best to resist all the sweets and snack foods my family brought along, but it was a challenge. Sugar cravings are virtually gone since I switched to Stevia, and it's easier to eat less all around. I managed to maintain without gaining anything, so I consider that a WIN when on vacation. Flying to Charlotte, NC this evening for a week of Microsoft training, and hope I'm able to stay on plan living from a hotel. Have a good week and stay cool!

BCL216
07-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Webwoman, I so happy for you that you did not gain while on vacation. The fact that you maintained is great. I hope that you can do the same this week and maybe shed a few as well. Stay strong and have a great BFC week.

WebWoman
07-19-2011, 07:26 PM
First day in Charlotte has been great, as good choices are available in the hotel and at Microsoft headquarters. You wouldn't BELIEVE the cafeteria MS has...every kind of healthy (and some unhealthy) foods you can imagine, but the people hear seem very happy and there's a cool outdoor dining area with ceiling fans, a full chick fil a and Starbucks (all bevs are free to employees and us if you can believe it!) Lots of grill areas with healthy and whole grain foods and they recycle everything. I'm off to walk in the gym at the hotel now, so staying OP so far. Keep the faith, BFC chicks!

BCL216
07-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Hi webwoman,
It great that you have everything you need. I weighed today and there was no change. I have had 2 steriod shots in last 2 weeks and 2 yesterday. I really think they are keeping me from losing.:?: I am so disappointed.
Have a great BFC week.

ERHR
07-20-2011, 01:57 PM
I just had a major whoosh (my first one in months) from keeping my peanut butter intake under control! I had been eating way too much of it/cheating with it. Now I keep it to 0 or 1 tablespoons per day. I hope this new low weight sticks.

WebWoman
07-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Congrats ERHR!
It's got to be great to see that whoosh! I hope someday in the next couple of weeks I can report the same. (fingers crossed)

BCL: Steroids are KNOWN to cause weight gain, so don't sweat it and keep on plan. It's only temporary, so don't be disappointed with the scale if you know you're eating right. Hang in there and you know the plan will work. :)

BCL216
07-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks webwoman and :congrat:ERHR. I can only imagine how it must feel.

spcdcider
07-24-2011, 09:47 PM
I went to purchase the Crystal Light Pure with stevia. I was happy but I read that Sugar was first ingredient. Now was that necessary for them to add sugar? I put it back. Darn it. I have been faithful following this for 4 weeks now. I have not had sugar cravings until this week. I need help. I want to go stick my face in a tub of butter cream icing. I am wondering what is triggering this craving and how does everyone handle it?
Thank you all, I love reading these threads.

spcdcider
07-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Congrats ERHR and Elnysmom! My goal this week is to track daily.

BCL216
07-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Hello spcdcider, I know what you mean about Crystal light. I had bought it to put in my bottle water. I saw stevia on the box and in my hast, did not read other ingredients. I had drank almost the whole box in about 10 days. I was shocked when my husband pointed out that it had sugar.:( I just don't understand why they thought it was necessary to add the sugar! What were they thinking. I am battle some cravings and fluid from medication I am currently on. I find that calcium and cromiunpicolinate helps. It is so hard to keep up the focus when it seems all you want to do is eat a piece of chocalate cake as big as a car tire. Not only does the medication makes me retain fluid, but I feel like I am starving. I am currently taking vitamins, calciums, omega3, flaxseed caplets and Dr. ordered 50,000iu of prescription vitamin D once a week. I hope that I am taking them the way I am supposed to.

Ok we may not reach our goal as fast. But, I find that most of us all have one thing in common; It is never easy to make life style changes. But we are human and we will make mistakes, its important to get right back to the BFC plan. Besure that you are eating enough and a good varity.

ERHR
07-25-2011, 09:43 PM
I think I may have made a BFC convert today! My friend asked me for all the details of my diet because 1) she could see it's working for me and 2) she went a little crazy with pastries while traveling. I think that's a pretty good NSV for me and I'm glad to have someone to talk to IRL who's also doing it (maybe).

BCL216
07-25-2011, 11:40 PM
ERHR I am happy that your friends are taking notice, you certainly have done well. I am inspired by your success. I need to regain my balance and get on with it. I did manage to lose 1lb. this week. I am afraid that my emotions and harmones are getting the better of me. When I see great results like yours, I find that spark I so need.

WebWoman
07-26-2011, 04:14 PM
ERHR, you're my inspiration at this point! After vacationing and travelling for work, I'm right where I was before (no gain) but have not seen any whoosh, either. I'm back home and in my regular routine, so hope to see some kind of loss by tomorrow. I've really been eating well, but haven't done much exercise which could be the culprit, even if it's not what the book says. Looking forward to grilling some Sockeye Salmon tonight with broccoli and lemon pepper seasoning - Yum! (actually, I could almost cook it on the sidewalk today HAHA)

A Nu Me
07-26-2011, 05:09 PM
High All
I started BFC 7-25-11
I am new to this site and looking forward to reading thru your post.
Its gonna take me a few to get the hang of this site.

ERHR
07-26-2011, 05:23 PM
BCL216 and WebWoman - You are so sweet! All I can say is that my success is not at all due to self-control or discipline but rather that this way of eating really works for me and I'm very lucky to have found it. You have both made great progress as well so let's all just stick with it! Gradual success definitely builds momentum for future accomplishments.

Joislpd264
07-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this thread and I would like some help please….My husband and I started the BFC yesterday. So far the biggest thing I have noticed is that we have both had a headache for the past two days (we are not sure if it is related to caffeine withdrawal or not). We have both committed to his menu on page 25 for at least a week. I am extremely challenged in the cooking arena so following his no excuses plan should get us jump started.

I do have a question - I ride a road bike three to five times a week, usually 20 to 45 miles each ride and generally burn 700 to 1400 calories. While riding I usually have a CLIF energy block, or electrolyte replacement drink. Both of these contain mega amounts of sugar and/or carbs. Will the lifestyle change still work well? I am currently training for a three day ride set for May 2012 that covers 300 miles. I am also 50 years old and find that it is getting more and more difficult to "keep the weight off" Any advice is always greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ERHR
07-26-2011, 06:03 PM
When I first started the BFC I had a headache for about two days and it was from the sugar withdrawal. I didn't consume caffeine anyway so I can imagine that if you've cut that out you're being hit by both withdrawals at once. It will pass but it may take a few days or even a couple weeks. It is SO WORTH IT though so push through!

I am not an intense athlete but I know that you burn lots of carbohydrates on long bike rides. I'd be more concerned about your overall carb consumption than any specific snack you might have on your ride. The BFC might not be an appropriate program for someone who is so active because you need the quick energy that carbohydrates (though not necessarily sugar) provide. Maybe you could look on Jorge's website or email him for a recommendation? Perhaps you could modify the BFC so you follow it as usual on your non-riding days and add in some carb loading in advance of your rides? Definitely do not sacrifice your riding lifestyle for the sake of any one particular diet!

lucia12141
07-26-2011, 07:54 PM
well good afternoon girls . well I have been doing well with my food on track . I 'am going to weight myself very soon so I can see what or how much I have lost . funny how when I started I did not want to even workout and now I wake up before the alarm goes off . the kids go with me and it's fun for me to . now I have to try that almond milk . very scared to try it . yes I'am very scared to try new things so wish me luck on it .

Finally moving
07-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Hi everybody, I'm new here. I have been losing weight slowly (VERY slowly) since New Year's, but stalled since April. I heard about BFC, bought the book and so far I'm very happy with the results, I've started losing again. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

A Nu Me
07-26-2011, 10:47 PM
ERHR

You R doing great on BFC. I am happy u hv this blog I think it will help me on my journey.
I am a vegetarian so I hv to think outside da box when it comes to meal plans.
Do u hv any suggestions.

A Nu Me
07-27-2011, 12:19 AM
Hi everybody, I'm new here. I have been losing weight slowly (VERY slowly) since New Year's, but stalled since April. I heard about BFC, bought the book and so far I'm very happy with the results, I've started losing again. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

When is ur book due to arrive?

WebWoman
07-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Finally, I lost another half pound, and I'll take it! Ended up grilling pork loin last night not salmon, and had a nice helping of broccoli and felt full. Would love to try eating greek yogurt, but it seems to be high in sugar - has anyone found one that isn't?

New Member: In the book, I believe he references the best energy and protein bars, so take a look and see if there are some that are lower in sugar and carbs that might work for you.

Eineys Mom
07-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Hey everyone!

I wanted to share a couple things that have helped so far...
Not sure if you have a Harry's (whole foods) in your area, but I found Zevia buy 1 get one free there this week!! I bought a case and now wish I would of bought more. I like all their flavors and use this as my"treat" each day. I also really like "Ambers blog" that ERHR shared with us on page three of this thread. Lots of good info there! I really want to find those Clemmy O's that she talks about but have had no such luck so far. But the "So delicious" no sugar mini bars I did fine @ Harry's and they are YUMMY.

I kind of hit a plateau in the last couple of weeks so I have upped my exercise...zumba for the first time tonight! and cardio 4-5 times per week. I also was eating the same thing for bfast and lunch so I switched things up a bit this week. Starting my day with the whey protein shakes found in the book. So far I am satisfied until lunch. I think I will weigh in tomorrow...just to see how it is going.
Still very motivated and love reading all the posts!

Finally moving
07-28-2011, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the welcome! I bought my book at the bookstore, so I have it already.

To find the Clemmy O ice cream, go to their website and look to see what stores near you carry it. I did that, and found a place quite near me that I never would have thought to check. It's worth some extra effort. :)

WebWoman
07-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the heads up about Clemmy o Ice Cream. I found Zevia at Krogers yesterday if anyone has one nearby.

I had a good day yesterday, but last night my ex called in a rant about something and yelled till I hung up on him. Ruined my whole evening and I ended up eating tortilla chips out of the bag for dinner. It's a shame some people are just mean and unhappy and have to share it with others. But - today is a new day and I hope to stay OP. Boyfriend is coming over tonight for dinner, so I'll think about that. :)

BCL216
07-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Welcome Newbies and webwoman, don't be to hard on yourself. We all have those days when we fall short of our goals. Just get back on track and don't look back. I lost 1lb. last week, its going slow and I have some major things I am dealing with too.

A Nu Me
07-29-2011, 02:23 AM
BCL216
THANKS for the encouragement. Keep pushing on Ur major issuse will b temporary ur weight goal will b permenant. Keep up the good work

A Nu Me
07-29-2011, 04:37 AM
Kalisa

I too am obsessed with daily weigh ins. I cant function if i dont step on the scale. Does it get to you if u gain or does it keep u on track?

lucia12141
07-29-2011, 09:29 AM
good morning girls . well my grand mothers birthday was yesrterday and let me tell you that cake was so tempting to eat but I said no thanks and ran out the door with the kids . they had their piece and I kept to my diet . round one to mommy yay 1month down awhole bunch morn to go

Eineys Mom
07-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Woo hoo! I love the "woosh". Very much needed as I was tired of the plateau I had hit. I try to not be tied to the scale and only weigh every two weeks. It was hard at first but now easy as you dont see the daily flucuations!

BCL216
07-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Great going Lucia & Congrats Eineys mom! I need a "woosh" bad;)
Nu Me, I too step on the scale every morning and then I get upset if I have not lost. I think it is working against me.

Hey does anyone know how many post or days you have before you can post your weightloss ticker?

Finally moving
07-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Einey's mom, how did you wean yourself off weighing every day? I need to do that, it's so discouraging, but every two weeks would be way better and show more progress. Any tips?

A Nu Me
07-30-2011, 06:02 AM
↭BCL216↭
Says we hvto wait 20 days until we can add a ticker. Also need 20 posts as well. That was a question of mine as well.

A Nu Me
07-30-2011, 06:09 AM
BCL 216
If u click ur user cp there is a msg there about the 20 day ticker wait. ★Also in the Frequently asked questions thread.★

SarRawrNaomi
07-30-2011, 07:28 AM
Okay so I have only been paying attention to my weight daily since I started this whole weight lose thing 10 days ago. I was wondering, is it normal to bloat 2.8 pounds RIGHT b4 starting TOM? I hate this cause apparently I lost 5.8 in the first week but as TOM approaches I'm bloating. and I've been staying on track and working hard. this is kind of discouraging.

Eineys Mom
07-30-2011, 09:13 AM
About weighing daily...

It was just too discouraging for me to weigh daily. It was difficult at first...but I just told myself I WILL NOT do it (weigh everyday. I first went one week, now I have worked up to two weeks.

Good luck...let the way your clothes fit be your motivation!!!

lucia12141
07-30-2011, 04:57 PM
well did my weight in today and lost 10 lb . yay for me so on to my second month . up word and on word . LOL

fitchy
08-02-2011, 02:02 AM
Hi, everyone! I started this eating plan 9 days ago, and I'm in love with it. Having done Atkins twice, this is a breeze, and I feel sure I can follow it as a lifestyle. I am absolutely not going to weigh myself until I change clothes sizes, though. As with Atkins, I'm sure I would be too disappointed with the fluctuations.

One thing I'm wondering about for those of you who are not losing, are you sure you're getting your 25-30 grams of fiber with your carbs? Whatever bread/pasta you eat should be whole grain to the extent possible.

SarRawrNaomi: The bloat is all water weight and will go away. Ignore it and don't weigh when you're feeling like that.

I would just like to share a tip for overcoming cravings that I used when I quit smoking. When I feel an overwhelming urge, I tell myself that if I still want it this badly in 2 hours, I can have it. Generally, by the time 2 hours has passed, I'm on to obsessing about something else. If not, I tell myself that if I've waited this long, I can wait another 2 hours. Two years later, I still have the 1 cigarette hidden in case of 'emergency' LOL. Eating well, within the plan, is a choice we will have to make over and over again.

Looking forward to knowing you all!

msmojo
08-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Hi, I am new here but not entirely new to the Belly Fat Cure. Did it 2 years ago and lost about 15 lb which I gained back. Started WW in January and lost 20 + but have gained and lost the same 5 over the past 4 months. My husband has had great success with BFC so I am revisiting it and going to give it my all (I was always looking for ways to cheat without cheating LOL)
Been back at it only 2 days and actually feel pretty good, no headache etc but down nothing. I also live on the scale which drives hubby nuts. I have 3 little girls and would like to get healthy not only for me but for them also..
Is there anyone on here from Atlantic Canada? I have trouble finding good products here on the Island. I do use Stevia and like it but can't seem to find much else... I have ordered some products online and have been disappointed with them. any info would be greatly appreciated...

fitchy
08-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Hi, I am new here but not entirely new to the Belly Fat Cure. Did it 2 years ago and lost about 15 lb which I gained back. Started WW in January and lost 20 + but have gained and lost the same 5 over the past 4 months. My husband has had great success with BFC so I am revisiting it and going to give it my all (I was always looking for ways to cheat without cheating LOL)
Been back at it only 2 days and actually feel pretty good, no headache etc but down nothing. I also live on the scale which drives hubby nuts. I have 3 little girls and would like to get healthy not only for me but for them also..
Is there anyone on here from Atlantic Canada? I have trouble finding good products here on the Island. I do use Stevia and like it but can't seem to find much else... I have ordered some products online and have been disappointed with them. any info would be greatly appreciated...

Check this website for some awesome bread: julianbakery.com
Their Smart Carb #1 bread has 13g carbs, 12g fiber, and 0g sugar. It's pricey, but tastes quite good when toasted with a little butter and eggs/cheese/meat. It's been a lifesaver for me in the a.m., since I normally don't eat breakfast. :carrot:

Eineys Mom
08-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Welcome all Newbies and good luck. I totally love this plan and am seeing results with the scale but more with my clothes. I was wearing (a tight) size 18 when I started and am now comfortably in a 14! :)

Lucia12141- great results!!! Is this a month or a week figure? Either way its great!!!

I only weigh once every two weeks.

msmojo
08-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Check this website for some awesome bread: julianbakery.com
Their Smart Carb #1 bread has 13g carbs, 12g fiber, and 0g sugar. It's pricey, but tastes quite good when toasted with a little butter and eggs/cheese/meat. It's been a lifesaver for me in the a.m., since I normally don't eat breakfast. :carrot:

Thanks! I will check it out!

BCL216
08-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Hello Ladies and :welcome:Newbies! Its nice to see new BFC lovers. I am back on track and have started a BFC Labor Day Challenge Monday. I am down 1.2lbs. already. Last month was no so good because of medical problems, but I am back and rocking it. Hubbie and I plan a trip to the beach
Labor Day Weekend and I am shooting for a 10lb. loss befor than. If I can keep this up, I might even see a 15lb. loss:p. Good Luck ladies and have a great BFC week!

lucia12141
08-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Eineys Mom: it's 10lb in a month . I have most of my fat on my belly

Kalisa
08-03-2011, 04:25 AM
Kalisa

I too am obsessed with daily weigh ins. I cant function if i dont step on the scale. Does it get to you if u gain or does it keep u on track?

Hi A Nu Me,

Please forgive me for not responding sooner. I having been on the Forum for awhile, I just finally checked in again this eve.
Yes, it gets to me when I gain, (especially lately, as I've been OFF program, have gained some back, and MUST get back onto it!) but it's such a habit I just do it. This diet shows up more in inches lost than pounds, for many, but the pounds will eventually follow. I think how often we weigh in doesn't matter, as long as we keep doing the program. My weakness is chocolate, and I've been stressed lately, mostly financially, really trying to get a better job instead of the buncha little jobs I have, so I haven't been disciplined about my eating. Nor have I been exercising. :(
Also, it isn't necessary to buy a lot of new foods to do this, just start by cutting out the sugar. Personally I don't like Stevia, so I use Xylitol in my coffee, and drink bubbly water when I crave juice or something like soda. I. too, in the first days of this program, had a sugar withdrawal headache, I think this is common, also fatigue the first few days.

IMPORTANT: Measure yourself at the beginning of the diet. That way you can reassure yourself you are losing, even when the scale doesn't show it. :)

fitchy
08-03-2011, 10:08 AM
:cool: I tried the Uncle Sam cereal this a.m. with a little unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a teaspoon of Xylitol. YUMMO! I'm not a breakfast eater, but this is very good. 3/4 cup is almost too much.

I have to say, I've sure had tons of extra energy since starting this plan. I'm losing my belly and can't say I'm missing it much!

Stay strong and choose well!
:dance:

BCL216
08-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Good BFC Morning,

Quick Tip:[B]Relieve your stress![B]Because stress raises glucose levels regardless of how good your diet, it triggers unconscious eating. I know that with the economy being what it is, The stress is huge for everyone. Its important to find away to help releave stress, i.e walking, exercising, etc. I myself am an emotional eater and it is a type of addiction.

fitchy
08-04-2011, 01:56 AM
I want my ticker. :(

BCL216
08-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Good Morning! Its a great BFC Morning!! I am down another pound!!:cheer2::cheer3:

Eineys Mom
08-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Yay for you!!!:carrot:

Ok-Uncle Sams cereal-where do you find it? I have stayed away from the cereal cause the thought of eating it with almond milk just doesnt sound very good. But I will trust you on this one.

Not weighing this week, but sticking to plan so should be ok!

fitchy
08-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Ok-Uncle Sams cereal-where do you find it? I have stayed away from the cereal cause the thought of eating it with almond milk just doesnt sound very good. But I will trust you on this one.

I bought mine at a local natural food store, but afterward, I'm almost positive I saw it at TJ's. It is also available online at Amazon and attunefoods. I'm having some more this morning. :lucky:

Finally moving
08-05-2011, 01:32 AM
My kids turned up their nose at the almond milk, but then we ran out of regular and my daughter poured some on her cereal. She thought it was quite good. I am a little surprised how good I feel not drinking milk every day. I'm used to a big latte, and since I switched to coffee with a little cream, my stomach has stopped hurting. Is it possible to become lactose intolerant in middle age? Heh, I'm joking, I know it is. Losing weight and feeling better too? I think I can stick with this!

BCL216
08-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Good morning Finally moving,
You will feel even better as you go on with your BFC journey. Keep trying new things from the BFC plan and it will become second nature to you. You are doing great.

Joislpd264
08-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Today I am bummed out - I lost 6 pounds the first week and actually gained almost a pound this week and I have done nothing different. We are strictly following his meal plan on page 25. I have also not ridden my road bike for the past two weeks so I cannot figure out why there is no lost weight. I talked to my husband about inches versus pounds but he says he feels the same way (like he hasn't lost anything this week either). I sure hope next week goes better!

fitchy
08-05-2011, 01:17 PM
:dancer: For deeeeee-lish sugar-free jerky, try cattaneobros.com

I ate it like crazy when I was on Atkins. It has no artificial colors or flavors, no sugar, and no MSG. It is a bit pricey, but IMO well worth it. You can subscribe to email notifications for special promotions. I try to wait until shipping is free, but I want some now, so going to order anyway.

Stay strong, choose well!

fitchy
08-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Today I am bummed out - I lost 6 pounds the first week and actually gained almost a pound this week and I have done nothing different.

You will definitely see weight fluctuations on this type of food plan. Personally, I am only going to weigh when I change clothes sizes. Don't be discouraged. Try to remember that you're not only trying to lose weight, but to develop a healthy eating plan that you can follow indefinitely. The weight will come off... persevere! :hug:

BCL216
08-05-2011, 03:00 PM
The goal shouldn't be just to lose scale(fat) weight but to lose inches and increase metabolism. It's the fat weight that causes so many health problems.

spcdcider
08-06-2011, 08:52 AM
lucia12141 I find that the Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk in the refrigerator case tastes mush better than the shelf stable cartons. We went to Lancaster and fell off the wagon with shofly pie. Today I am back on target, I have not noted any gain just felt bloated.

spcdcider
08-06-2011, 08:55 AM
I saw Uncle Sams at Walmart, I think I am sticking with plain Cheerio's. I tried Uncle Sams before and do not remember liking it. Maybe I will try it again.

spcdcider
08-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Hello Ladies and :welcome:Newbies! Its nice to see new BFC lovers. I am back on track and have started a BFC Labor Day Challenge Monday. I am down 1.2lbs. already. Last month was no so good because of medical problems, but I am back and rocking it. Hubbie and I plan a trip to the beach
Labor Day Weekend and I am shooting for a 10lb. loss befor than. If I can keep this up, I might even see a 15lb. loss:p. Good Luck ladies and have a great BFC week!

Is this your own private challenge?

BCL216
08-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Good Morning All,
Yes, The BFC Labor Day Challenge was started as a new thread for anyone needing a little extra incentive to stay on track and give accountability. I had request to post it in a more general location instead of 50+. Everyone is welcome, the more the merrier.

Kalisa
08-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Today I am bummed out - I lost 6 pounds the first week and actually gained almost a pound this week and I have done nothing different. We are strictly following his meal plan on page 25.

Perhaps switching out your foods more might keep your body from getting too used to anything? Like have chicken one time, fish another, etc. Also, some folks benefit from eliminating wheat, so have a spelt or rice tortilla (available at Trader Joe's) instead of wheat pita, and oatmeal for breakfast, or spelt or another gluten-free bread instead of wheat toast? :)

Kalisa
08-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Hello folks! I'm back on track. I was 9 lbs down, from 213 to 204. But then I started messing up, especially nibbling on too much chocolate, and yesterday was bloated back up to 211. :(
So I did a modified 6-Week Body Makeover menu yesterday, and dropped 3.5 lbs overnight!
This is what I ate:

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs, 1/4 C dry "old fashioned" oats cooked with 1/2 cup coconut milk, (add a little water, too) w/ 18 grams frozen blueberries, and 1t. xylitol. 2 cups coffee with cream & 2 t. xylitol, per cup. -Almond or rice milk could replace the coconut milk.

Snack: 1 spelt tortilla (20 carbs) and 1 oz grated cheese (grilled in toaster oven.)

Lunch: 2 oz. chicken, 1 cup (canned) green beans, 1 oz. yam chips.

Snack: 2 oz. chicken, 1 cup (canned) green beans, 1/2 C. brown rice.

Dinner: 2 oz. chicken, 1 cup (canned) green beans, 1/2 C. brown rice.

NO chocolate! No sugar! :drool: I was super hungry in the eve, even though I had eaten! So I ignored it. I peed a lot, and dropped the weight! :D

2-3 hours between meals & snacks. All the foods are from Trader Joe's, except for the xylitol, which is called "Xyla" (Emerald Forest brand -made from N. American hardwood, not corn.) from Whole Foods.

I'm going to keep going along these lines, and see how it goes.
(5 more posts - to 25- and I get my ticker. Ah, the small rewards in life...)

fitchy
08-07-2011, 12:47 AM
:?: Today I noticed that part of my butt seems to be missing... Anyone seen it?? Hee!

Finally moving
08-07-2011, 02:39 PM
How about if you just accept that it's gone and move forward without missing it too much! Yay for missing pounds!

WebWoman
08-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Frankly, I wouldn't miss it at all if part of my butt was MIA :)

gigi80
08-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Is this your own private challenge?
I'm a newbie and LOVE this Labor Day Challenge..just the motivation I need.
Thank you!!!

Kalisa
08-08-2011, 02:24 AM
OK, after my 2nd day of doing the mini-meal approach, (see my posting yesterday, Sat 7/6) I dropped 2 more lbs, making a total of 5.5lbs in 2 days! :cp:
Just gotta lose 1.5 more lbs to be back down to 204, my low point so far on the BFC before I started packing the pounds back on. :^:

I am pleased, if hungry! LOL. My energy is fine w/ this approach, but my tummy wants MORE! ;)

BCL216
08-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Good BFC Morning! For those on the Labor Day Challenge, its time to way in.
Kalisa:congrat: Way to go! I am down 4lbs. for my first week. I am feeling good and adding some exercise to turn up the heat. Maybe by next Monday, It will be 6 or 7lbs. down. One can hope. Heres to a great BFC Week!

SW-Aug.1-220
CW-216 Aug. 8
GW-210 Labor Day

Kalisa
08-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Two pounds back on, :mad: so much for my crowing in success. :o

I think it's coz I had my food later in the day, finishing w/ my last mini-meal at 10 pm and snacked on peanuts later... :rolleyes:

BCL216
08-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Kalisa, its most likely water weight. It is always different in am to pm.
Don't worry you are doing fine. Are you drinking your water and taking calcium. It will help with the water weight.

Kalisa
08-08-2011, 06:16 PM
Kalisa, its most likely water weight. It is always different in am to pm.
Don't worry you are doing fine. Are you drinking your water and taking calcium. It will help with the water weight.

Thanks! :) I'll focus more on water, and start taking calcium. I didn't know that helped! (hope, hope...)

fitchy
08-09-2011, 12:36 AM
and snacked on peanuts later...

I agree about the water... And be sure you're getting enough fiber in your carb count.

TJ's has some dry roasted Australian macadamia nuts which are very high in fiber. And today, I found some dry roasted edamame (brand is Feng Shui)... Serving size 1/4 cup, total carbs 9g, fiber 7g, sugars 1g. YUMMO! :woohoo:

Kalisa
08-09-2011, 01:26 AM
I agree about the water... And be sure you're getting enough fiber in your carb count.

TJ's has some dry roasted Australian macadamia nuts which are very high in fiber. And today, I found some dry roasted edamame (brand is Feng Shui)... Serving size 1/4 cup, total carbs 9g, fiber 7g, sugars 1g. YUMMO! :woohoo:

Good tips, I'll look into it! Thanks! :)

BCL216
08-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Ok, not a good BFC day. I binged:?: Just one of those days.

Joislpd264
08-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Here's a funny - My husband and I embraced this lifestyle change 2 1/2 weeks ago. My husband accidentally bought Sweetened Almond Milk. After just a couple sips this morning he declared that the milk was "way too sweet" and "I'm sorry but I'll have to pour that out!" I told him how funny i thought that was and asked him how he would feel about drinking a Mountain Dew!. I had been feeling a little bummed because he has lost 13 pounds and I am stuck at 6. But then I read what Fitchy said and those words brought everything into perspective! Thank you. :carrot:

fitchy
08-09-2011, 11:54 PM
But then I read what Fitchy said and those words brought everything into perspective! Thank you. :carrot:

Really glad I could help. That's what we're all here for, to share our experience and hope. :hug:

fitchy
08-09-2011, 11:57 PM
P.S. Joseph's sugar free almond cookies are fantastic! :drool:

Joislpd264
08-10-2011, 10:45 AM
I wish we had the stores in central Florida that I keep reading about in the posts! Some of these items are very difficult to find locally.

ERHR
08-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Joislpd264: You don't have to buy any specialty items to be successful on this diet.

BCL216
08-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Hey! I binged(somewhat) yesterday and this morning the scale was down?!
But more than that, I am down a size. From an 18 to 16:woohoo:

Joislpd264
08-10-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm having difficulty finding Pita bread - I looked at several of the recipes and would love to try the products to stay as close to the menu as possible but many of these stores seem to be West Coast stores. I am a horrible cook and have no idea about substitutions and on top of that I work a 15 hour day (biggest portion of the time is night shift) so I am struggling. Thanks for allowing me to vent.

Finally moving
08-11-2011, 02:13 AM
Joislpd264, you may not be able to find the specific brand name of pita listed in the book, but I'm sure you could find some kind of whole wheat pita bread in your grocery store. Here, it's on the shelf with bread between loaves and bagels. If you can't find that, another thing I like is the thin bread from Orowheat. It's round, like a bun, but thinner. You can make a full size sandwich with it and it counts as one carb. That's on the shelf with bread too. I make a big sandwich with turkey or chicken, some cheese and mayo and a ton of leafy greens to take to work, it really fills me up and stays on plan. Hope this helps!

Zzjoro
08-11-2011, 03:00 AM
Hi thanks to all for the post, they were great to read. We just finished the fast track and today was our first day eating carbs again. However since i am not really good at recipes I am curious to know are you are you really counting every vegetable ? I am used to a decent portion of broccoli, zuc, brus sprt etc and see that in his book they have a sugar count which will throw me over 15 really fast if eaten at each meal. I am over thinking the vegi portion of this. Maybe I should just follow the menu plans to start ? Any advise? I think this will be a great diet but I like variety in my foods with the vegis they fill me up.

ERHR
08-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Yes, I count every single thing I eat and only very rarely and accidentally go over my sugar limit. If you want to modify the diet to allow yourself more sugar from vegetables that's your prerogative - I'm sure you could argue that the health benefits outweigh the extra sugar. Personally I have never made a single recipe from the book, let alone follow the meal plans. I just modified a few of my staple recipes from before I started the diet and filled in plan-friendly foods around them. It was a process but for me it's much easier than cooking with all the unfamiliar foods and products Jorge has in the book. If you cut absolutely all sugar from other sources are you still eating more than 15 g/day from vegetables? Maybe just shift toward eating the low-sugar vegetables more and the higher-sugar vegetables sparingly?

puneri
08-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Hi erhr,
Why lowest adult weight is important? In fact my lowest adult age was 121.
And 1st full time pregnancy weight was 132.
Will you pl explain?

fitchy
08-12-2011, 12:38 AM
I agree with ERHR. I don't follow the menus, nor do I make any special recipes. I have picked up a few of the 'special' food items because of their high fiber count and/or the online reviews of the quality and/or taste. I basically follow Atkins, eliminate all added sugar and artificial sweeteners, and choose my 6 servings of carbs carefully since they are a 'treat' to me. I think this is the plan I can live with forever.

fitchy
08-12-2011, 01:08 AM
I am curious to know are you are you really counting every vegetable ? I am used to a decent portion of broccoli, zuc, brus sprt etc and see that in his book they have a sugar count which will throw me over 15 really fast if eaten at each meal. I am over thinking the vegi portion of this. Maybe I should just follow the menu plans to start ? Any advise? I think this will be a great diet but I like variety in my foods with the vegis they fill me up.

Wow, talk about timely. My email from Atkins Nutritionals today was about incorporating veggies into your meal plans. I can't post links yet... so just going to post the text of the article:

Lose weight? Live longer? Maybe your mom was right when she told you to eat your vegetables...

1) Vegetables help keep you full for longer. The fiber and water in vegetables fill you up way more efficiently than eating processed carbs that are deficient in fiber. Combining vegetables with protein and healthy fats will keep you satisfied until it’s time for your next meal.

2) Vegetables help prevent dips and spikes in your energy levels. Once again, the fiber in vegetables helps regulate your blood sugar. If you’re eating all your allotted vegetables each day, you shouldn’t experience that late-afternoon energy slump (and cravings for sugar) that you may encounter when eating processed carbohydrates.

3) Vegetables help you live longer. Numerous studies show that a diet rich in a variety of vegetables may help decrease the hardening of arteries, help lower cholesterol levels and help prevent inflammation, a component of many degenerative diseases including obesity, diabetes, heart disease and Alzheimer’s. Researchers believe the antioxidants (vitamins C and E, plus selenium and the carotenoids) may be partly responsible for this effect.

4) Vegetables are the ultimate food replacement. You can’t go wrong when you replace junk food and processed carbohydrates, which are typically full of unhealthy fats and deficient in nutrients, with nutrient-dense foods like vegetables, which contain fiber, antioxidants and vitamins.

5) Vegetables help you lose weight. Vegetables tend to be lower in calories, yet pack a way more powerful punch when it comes to keeping you healthy and full for longer. This all means you may tend to eat fewer calories, while still feeling satisfied, if not more satisfied, than when you rely on packaged foods and foods devoid of nutrients.

Initially, it may seem like a challenge to incorporate vegetables into the majority of your meals or snacks, but you have many options for every part of the day.

Here are some suggestions:

Add spinach, scallions and a little tomato to your eggs and top with sliced avocado.

Make a low-carb breakfast wrap using turkey sausage, scrambled eggs, spinach and avocado and wrap it all up in a leaf of romaine lettuce.

Make ground beef hash by sautéing ground beef with scallions, red bell peppers and cheese.

Chow on olives with a piece of cheese.

Slather celery stalks with cream cheese.

Wrap a couple slices of ham with a romaine lettuce leaf, add some mayo and cheddar cheese.

Top slices of tomato and cucumber with tuna or chicken salad.

Combine deli meat, cheese and mayo and roll up with a pickle or cucumber.

Pile spinach, tomatoes and mushrooms on a plate, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil and top with a sliced, grilled chicken breast.

Top a tomato with cooked ground beef (seasoned with chili and cumin) and Mexican-blend cheese. Broil until cheese is bubbling.

Experiment with your spinach salad; add different vegetables or dressings and top with grilled salmon, shrimp or steak.

Stuff a half of a bell pepper with turkey or pork sausage, cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes and top with grated cheese, no-sugar salsa, avocado or even a fried or poached egg.

Grill a steak, serve with a side salad and mashed “potatoes” (cook and mash cauliflower instead of potatoes)

:cool: Hope that helps!

ERHR
08-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Hi puneri,

I have my lowest adult weight listed in my signature as a personal checkpoint/goal. My basic point in adding that is to remind myself/others that I am trying to get to a weight below any I have seen post-childhood, which to me is quite a challenge. It's not really important at all, just another checkpoint, similar to BMI=25 or my goal.

Joislpd264
08-12-2011, 09:15 AM
It's been almost three weeks and my total weight loss is six pounds. Though I want to be very frustrated I have to focus on the fact that I didn't gain this weight in three weeks so why on earth would I be mad because I'm not losing it as fast as I think I should! My husband says I am part of the "want it now generation" but I'm really not. He went to Subway yesterday for lunch and got two 6" tuna subs with onions, peppers, and no dressing. He also got a Coke because he didn't have the heart to say no to one of his favorite clerks. (We used to go there every day!) So anyway, the Coke is still sitting in the refrigerator, untouched. I have to go to lunch at Panera Bread today and am already sweating what to order. Here's to making good choices! Talk to you later.

fitchy
08-12-2011, 09:35 AM
He went to Subway yesterday for lunch and got two 6" tuna subs with onions, peppers, and no dressing. He also got a Coke because he didn't have the heart to say no to one of his favorite clerks. (We used to go there every day!) So anyway, the Coke is still sitting in the refrigerator, untouched. I have to go to lunch at Panera Bread today and am already sweating what to order. Here's to making good choices! Talk to you later.

I love Subway, too, but the bread on one 6" sub is too high a carb count. The dressing, though, would have been fine. I generally order my favorite sub as a salad (no bread) and eat lunch there at least twice a week.

Most places will make any sandwich they have without bread. If you don't know the carb count, don't eat it. Remember, we're counting carbs, not calories.

Stay strong and choose well!

Joislpd264
08-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Well, can't backslide much further than I did today! Had to be up at 4 for a yard sale in incredible humidity. Did okay for breakfast and my morning snack. Lunch was a McDonald's Quarter Pounder, Fries and Sweet Tea. To make matters worse supper was Longhorn Steakhouse for Trout, Seasonal Vegetables, Caesar Salad and White Wine. Then on to Yogurt Mountain for Yogurt with Blueberries, Blackberries and Strawberries. Oh, and a Brownie shared with a five year old. Doesn't get much lower than that. Praying to do better tomorrow and thereafter! Amazed at how bloated I feel! :(

BCL216
08-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Wake tomorrow and get right back on the plan. You are human and you enjoyed yourself. Don't feel guilty, just be good for the next week.

fitchy
08-14-2011, 04:28 AM
Then on to Yogurt Mountain for Yogurt with Blueberries, Blackberries and Strawberries. Oh, and a Brownie shared with a five year old. Doesn't get much lower than that. Praying to do better tomorrow and thereafter! Amazed at how bloated I feel! :(

Don't be so hard on yourself. We all have an occasional day when we just say to heck with it and binge. Actually, you weren't doing so badly until the yogurt. When I go to McDonalds, I ask for the burger without onions or bread... they will make it for you that way, and then you can have a small order of fries. If you carry your sweetener with you, you can get unsweetened tea and use what you have with you. The dinner sounds fine, unless there was some sugary coating on the fish. Not that I'm an expert on this, but it sounds to me as though you haven't completely cleared your system of sugar. Once you do that, things will get much much easier.

Give yourself a break, and like BCL said, just get back on program tomorrow.

Stay strong and choose well! :hug:

ERHR
08-14-2011, 01:19 PM
We all have an occasional day when we just say to heck with it and binge.

I disagree with this - it is not true for me. You may think I'm a hardliner, but I have not ONCE in the 8 months on this diet said "to heck with it." I have certainly made mistakes and committed a couple acts of willful disobedience but I have not thrown the plan out the window and binged on carbs/sugar. Taking meals or days off is not compatible with a low-carb/low-sugar diet; real physiological changes result that can take days to correct. (Unlike calorie restriction plans, a day off is not expected, encouraged, or beneficial.) Jorge even says this in the book - there are no days off.

Joislpd264, I am not saying this to point my finger or blame you for your off-day. I am saying this to encourage and empower you! You CAN stay on plan and be satisfied! It is all up to you. I agree with fitchy that you probably haven't completely broken your sugar addiction yet. Once you have it totally out of your system it will be SO MUCH easier to stay on-plan and pass up sweet drinks and desserts and such. They literally do not even tempt me any more, although it took me a few months to fully get there. Every time you give in and eat too much sugar you are prolonging the period where your brain, which is trying to stay on plan, is fighting your body, which is begging for sugar. After you get through that period your brain and body will be united in their wants - to create a healthier body! Sugar will be a desire of the past. Today is a new day for you to work toward that end and I KNOW you can do it!

BCL216
08-14-2011, 01:20 PM
This am I am down to the lowest in 5 years!:carrot:

BCL216
08-14-2011, 01:33 PM
ERHR, great advise and it really hit home for me. You are so right and I myself am still struggling with the sugar thing. I know I will never completely give it up, but I am trying. Who knows maybe I will make it. You are certainly someone who knows, look how far you have come.:bravo: You inspire me so!

Joislpd264
08-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Figured out why I fell off the wagon so hard this weekend. I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow. Having my left bicep tendon severed and the tendon will be anchored to a hole drilled through the bone and connected on the other side. Guess my nerves got the best of me!

BCL216
08-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Joislpd264 stop beating yourself up, just get back on the plan. Try going for a walk or some other exercise when you are stressed or just eat some really great veggie snacks. Good Luck with your surgery.:grouphug:

fitchy
08-15-2011, 11:41 PM
I have certainly made mistakes and committed a couple acts of willful disobedience but I have not thrown the plan out the window and binged on carbs/sugar. Taking meals or days off is not compatible with a low-carb/low-sugar diet; real physiological changes result that can take days to correct. (Unlike calorie restriction plans, a day off is not expected, encouraged, or beneficial.)

I agree wholeheartedly with everything ERHR said, and I wish I had chosen my words more carefully. I was trying to be supportive but should have avoided the word 'binge'. I, too, am a hardliner on low carb plans, but I watched my daughter try and fail over and over for months before she was able to entirely give up the carbs, especially the sugar. She was a binge eater, and that is a very difficult challenge to overcome. Once she was finally able to give up the sugar, though, she stayed on track and lost 80 pounds... And in the process she has become a wonderful cook who makes nutritious and delicious meals for her family every day. She has successfully kept the weight off for nearly a year now, but she struggled so much in the beginning that I thought she'd never be able to do it.

Joislpd264 just don't give up when you have a bad day. This is really a way of life that will eventually be much easier to follow than calorie counting, but you must must must get rid of the sugar. Do the best you can, and remember it's all about choices. We have to choose to live well, every day. It is so worth it! :hug:

Eineys Mom
08-17-2011, 10:06 AM
I wish I could figure out why I am not motivated to exercise. Ugh! 2 weeks ago I wouldnt of missed a day at the gym, this week (and last) I have to fight myself to go. (only went twice in 2 weeks). I have been sticking to plan for eating, but without a workout I dont see much results with weight loss on this plan. Having said all that...Ive not weighed in 2 weeks. (scared).

Hopefully I will make it to Zumba tonight and have the courage to weigh tomorrow. Anyone else have ideas on how to make exercise a habit that you want to do? I am so darn fickle with it.

ERHR
08-17-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm hot and cold with exercise too. What seems to work best for me is setting a clear goal - X days working out this month, with a certain proportion of running, weights, and tennis - and tracking it visually. I use my whiteboard at home and color in a box for every day I work out, color-coded for the type of workout. Knowing I get to color in that box and that I'll post a pic of my whiteboard at the end of the month motivates me to get it done.

WebWoman
08-17-2011, 10:29 AM
The only thing I can say is try to do Something every day. I've been incorporating 15 minute walks during my workday. I do 2 a day, and they are a mile each, but with hills. I know it's not much, but it makes a difference and I can usually get in a couple of 5 mile walks a week from home. Looking forward to joining the local rec center after I move my son into his college dorm tomorrow. I hope to be motivated to go there 3 times a week as I'll have more time for ME. :)

Maybe if you vary your activities you'll be more prone to keep moving. Our bodies love to exercise - we just have to MAKE it a priority.

BCL216
08-17-2011, 11:16 AM
A Thought for today"If we never take steps back instead of forward, THINK how for we would be now." I would have been at my goal weight of 165, 160; 15 years ago. More the less, I would be there today enjoying that wonderful feeling of reaching that BIG waassh!;)

SpunkyA
08-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Hi all! I'm new here but have been on the BFC for two weeks now. I've lost 3 lbs which doesn't seem like much I know but I'm encouraged by the fact that I don't feel hungry or deprived so that's a plus! However I feel like i'm eating a LOT of salt. deli meat, cheese, etc. I already probably ate too much in my regular eating habits so I would love some ideas as to what to eat for main dishes and snacks that aren't as salty. thanks everyone~~

BCL216
08-17-2011, 10:52 PM
:welcome3:SpunkyA,

So glad to have you join us. Congrats on the 3lbs., It is something and the fact is that you did not gain. I go by the recipes in the book most of the time, it helps keep me focused. Good Luck!

Eineys Mom
08-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Thanks all for your feedback-all great ideas. ERHR...wow! I am just not that organized but good for you being so!!!

I made it to zumba last night- yay! Busy for the next few days so not much room in my days for a workout.

Next week here is my plan:
Monday- gym cardio- hour jog goal to run 5 miles in an hour- I used to run 5.8 in an hour two years ago. Then stopped and gained weight. Am running 4.8 currently.
Tuesday -gym strength trainin
Wed- zumba
Thurs- Strength training
Friday- cardio- another run

I figure maybe if I write here- it will help with accountability! :)

BCL216
08-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Eineys mom,
Sounds great and it looks as though you are a real motivator
Thanks I can really use it. I love your idea and I will follow your lead.
I am challenging all you BFC chicks to add exercise and post it for accountability. I love zumba!

Next Week For me:

Monday- walk 3 miles:running:
Tuesday-Zumba
Wednesday-walk 3 miles
Thursday-Zumba
Friday- walk 3 miles

WebWoman
08-18-2011, 07:19 PM
I'm going to try to work out more, as well!

Today was spent moving my 18 yo (one of my twins) into Miami Univerity (Ohio) where he will study to be an electrical engineer. Bittersweet is all I can say, as I helped move his things into a room and organize it for him...made up the bed with new linens...bought him lunch at the cafeteria...gave him a last hug before I left for home. :(

He's so excited to meet all the new people and I can't let him know that I hate for him to leave..so I smile and take pictures with him outside the brick dorm building... You guys will experience this same thing if you have kids, so prepare.

I'm kind of out of control emotionally, so I hope I don't have a big binge tonight.

BCL216
08-18-2011, 08:39 PM
webwoman,
I have already been there a few years back. I thought my heart would break.
But that was easy compared to watching them get married and leave for good. Things will be better soon, hang in there.

SpunkyA
08-18-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I put my general weekly exercise below for whomever is interested but I have done this for a long time so I'm not sure it applies...but happy to help if i can! :

Sunday: Run
Monday: Boot Camp Class
Tuesday: Spin
Weds: nothing
Thursday: Rebounding
Friday: Run
Saturday: nothing

having serious PMS hunger today...first time I've felt hungry on this program. Ugh. But the green & black dark chocolate helps :)

Joislpd264
08-19-2011, 08:03 AM
It's 4 days post shoulder surgery where the doctor severed the tendon and shaved the bone. Experiencing a great deal of pain and have an incredible craving for ice cream (or just anything frozen and sweet)! Not even thinking about weighing = the pain pump and the brace probably weigh 5 pounds alone! Reading other posts keeps me motivated and focused - thank you!

fitchy
08-20-2011, 04:29 AM
Oh, my... If you haven't tried these, please do. They remind me of the cinnamon twists from Taco Bell... Light and crisp and delicious.

Sensible Portions Cinnamon Apple Straws:
Serving size 1 oz ~ 38 straws
Total Carbs ~ 16g
Dietary Fiber ~ 2g
Sugars ~ 2g

I buy them at my local grocery, but I see they are also available online. The manufacturer's price is better than Amazon. I can't post links yet, but they are at SensiblePortions . com :cloud9:

Raw is mike
08-21-2011, 12:42 AM
Hi all!! I'm new at this whole message board thing but I thought I'd give this a try....

I'm a 26 year old guy from Massachusetts and I have struggled with weight my whole life. A good friend of mine started this diet a few weeks ago and has had some success thus far so I figured I'd give it a go.

I was doing so research online and stumbled upon this message board, you all seem so supportive I figured I'd get involved...

I plan on starting the plan on Monday and thats when I will have my initial weigh in, fingers crossed that I am as successful as you guys have been!

fitchy
08-21-2011, 01:15 AM
:welcome2: I'm fairly new at this, too, so we can journey together! :D

WebWoman
08-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Welcome Raw is Mike! (and I won't even ask about the name ;-)

I think the key to getting started with the BFC is to keep the sugar intake to 15G a day and cut out all of the substitute sweeteners because in addition to increasing cravings for sugar and carbs, they also are toxic to our system.

That's the hardest part, as if you can cut them way down, you won't be tempted with the late night cravings for sweets, pizza, chips and the like. You will have to be willing to change from your normal eating habits to a new norm, or it will not work. Don't automatically think that anything from Subways is good for you - check the sugar and carb numbers, and you'll realize the bread puts you over the allowable limit. You CAN have Subways as a salad, and it will suffice for a meal and you won't be starving. :)

I'm not able to see how much you weigh or what your goal is, but moderate exercise is very beneficial to me although it's not mandated in the book. It makes me feel more positive about EVERYTHING in my life, so while the weather is still nice, I intend to get out and walk for at least 15 minutes every day.

Good luck, and please post back with your both you progress and your challenges. Keep in mind that it took many years to put on the weight, and it will take a long time to lose the weight as well.

Joislpd264
08-22-2011, 07:18 PM
I found Clemmy's at Publix! Chocolate and Vanilla Bean! WooooHoooooo!

BCL216
08-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Good Morning,
All of your friends from "One Week Challenge and Beyond" Would like to invite all of you to join us:

Starting September 1st a new challenge will start called “Five Pounds to Lose....?”
"Five Pounds to lose…..”Anybody can lose five pounds….Right! I myself have done it nearly a twenty times in the past fifteen years. Losing five pounds is a sensible and achievable goal, if you did it once you can do it again. Members will receive a prize with every five pounds lost, a five pound sticker to put on your post for recognition and reward. This challenge is designed to change your mind set of looking a big number in pounds and seeing it impossible, to thinking of it as 5lbs. at time. Now your minds says that’s achievable. Rewarded yourself appropriately at each success and you only have five pounds to go until your next goal is achieved. This will be fun and we all can do five pounds, please join us. There is nothing like a healthy fun challenge between friends.

“Success comes to those who try and keep trying with PMA, a POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE”

1st. 5lbs.::carrot: 2nd. 5lbs.::flow1: 3rd.::woohoo:

4th.:df: 5th.:bravo: "Goal Met"-:cheer3::congrat::cheer3:

kkrathi
08-23-2011, 10:07 PM
I have found it pretty hard to keep the 15g sugar level especially because I travel a lot on business. I cannot take any food bars no matter how raw or organic they are as a quick snack because most of them have 15g or more sugar in just one single bar.

My question is simple - has anyone experienced weight loss if you go above 15 g but still keep it relatively modest such as 25-30 g sugar or less? Even if you have not done so, what do you think of my plan of this modified diet? Granted, I may not lose weight as significantly but will I still lose some weight and is it just a matter of taking more time? Or will I continue t gain weight because I have violated the holy grail threshold of 15 g?

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated!

ERHR
08-23-2011, 11:11 PM
I bet you will still lose weight. Even 30 g of sugar is a lot less than what you were eating before in all likelihood. I think you could combine your higher threshold with other strategies for keeping insulin from spiking, like if you usually eat your sugar along with fiber (such as in fruit) - anything to slow the glucose's transition into your bloodstream. Also, I think the 5 g sugar/meal and 40 g carbs/meal maximums are probably effective in themselves, so you could move to the multiple small meals a day model to spread out your sugar and carbs.

BCL216
08-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Hi kkrathi Welcome, I know its hard to keep sugar at the 15 grams, but if at all possible stay within that range. Its designed to help stabilize your insulin levels. If insulin goes up, fat is stored to put it simply. I have lost weight even when I ate 20 to 35 grams of sugar. Not Much! But before I started the BFC plan, I was eating probably 400g or more in a day:eek: So very unhealthy. But to get best results stick with the 15g. Much Luck!

BCL216
08-23-2011, 11:21 PM
ERHR, great advise.

lucia12141
08-26-2011, 01:51 PM
well good afternoon girls . well had to go to the doctor to get some paperwork filled out so they weight me 238.5 yes 8 pounds . yay on to the next month for me 3 months on a lifestyle change and no cheating at all . so proud of me

ERHR
08-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Great job Lucia! Keept it up!

BCL216
08-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Congrats Lucia! Today I am down another pound!:carrot:

sharmour
08-27-2011, 02:04 AM
Hi all,

I am new and am finding myself confused about vegetables. If I eat a stir fry for lunch, with protein and then a salad with protein at dinner, is that too much veg carbs?

ERHR
08-27-2011, 02:31 PM
sharmour

This plan doesn't differentiate between carbohydrates coming from vegetables vs. other sources. They are treated all the same.

You just have to keep track of the carbs and serving sizes and such. When you make the stir fry, keep track of the types of food you're putting in (carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, meat, oil, whatever) and the serving sizes and add up grams of the carbohydrate, fiber, and sugar (at least). Do the same with the salad. Each meal should be 2 servings or less of carbs (1 serving is 5-20 g, 2 servings is up to 40 g) and 5 g of sugar or less. In the entire day you shouldn't exceed 6 servings of carbohydrates and 15 g of sugar and you should eat at least 25 g of fiber.

I would guess that unless you're eating huge portions of the stir-fry and salad you aren't exceeding your carb servings for the day. Depending on what foods you're using you might be getting too high on sugar, though. I was surprised to discover the high sugar content of many vegetables.

Does that answer your question?

jms423
08-27-2011, 11:00 PM
I have found it pretty hard to keep the 15g sugar level especially because I travel a lot on business. I cannot take any food bars no matter how raw or organic they are as a quick snack because most of them have 15g or more sugar in just one single bar.

My question is simple - has anyone experienced weight loss if you go above 15 g but still keep it relatively modest such as 25-30 g sugar or less? Even if you have not done so, what do you think of my plan of this modified diet? Granted, I may not lose weight as significantly but will I still lose some weight and is it just a matter of taking more time? Or will I continue t gain weight because I have violated the holy grail threshold of 15 g?

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated!

There are quite a few low sugar or sugar free bars. You might have to search for them though. If all else fails, you can buy them from Amazon. Think Thin bars are pretty yummy with 0 sugar. Power Crunch bars are delicious w/ 4 g sugar. Supreme Protein is really good too w/ 0 sugar. The majority of the Atkins line is BFC compatible.

I try not to rely on bars, but in today's busy world grab and go food is kind of a must. I always have a few on hand for a pinch or when things get hectic.

BCL216
08-28-2011, 03:38 PM
IF you are trying to keep carbs and sugar low, use the low G.I guide. It can work with the BFC plan and will keep your blood glucose balanced. They even have low G.I. energy bars in most food stores. It is hard to find a plan that fits everyone perfectly, but with a little twicking; it can be done.

ERHR
08-31-2011, 12:22 PM
Uh oh... The peanut butter monster got the best of me last night. No reflection of it on the scale today but I'm thinking there may be a delayed effect. I should have never cracked open the door!!

In other news, my husband and I aren't going grocery shopping again until after Labor Day (we are going out of town) so I am low on ways to get protein into my diet and am much more hungry than usual as a result!

I will be in NYC for a few days so I'm going to switch to my out-of-town plan: just try to eat low-carb instead of following the BFC strictly (namely, the fiber and sugar requirements). This has been fairly successful for me in the past - lots of eating with only slight weight gain. Wish me luck!

BCL216
08-31-2011, 05:42 PM
ERHR,
Have a fun safe trip, I too am heading out and I am going try and keep it low carbs, I hope. I went to the doctor this morning and had a great report.
18.7 pounds lighter than last year!!! My Bone scan was amazing, the doctor said that I was 4% higher than most 30 year olds and I am 55 and 18% higher than most women in my age group!! I felt so wonderful. OH, my cloths are fitting losely. I am doing my happy dance.:broc: I am ready for my September Challenge of 5 pounds, I feel I can really do this. Thanks to motivating Chicks like you!

WebWoman
09-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Congrats on your great checkup and I know we can keep on losing! I need to take a tip from you and start taking calcium every day - I'm not getting any younger! Have a good trip.

SpunkyA
09-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Hi all, I've been off the wagon for a couple of weeks, first visiting family in CA and now having a hard time getting back on! Thankfully I gained only .5 lbs and for everything I ate it could have been much worse. I have recommitted as of yesterday (big whoop, i know :) ) but am always inspired by the dedication on this message board. Thanks all, and wish me luck getting back on it!

BCL216
09-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Hello everyone,
just checking in to say hi, I am still at the beach and my meals have been off track. I had an allergic reaction to something as usual, and had a trip to doctor for shots. They weighed me and I was up 2lbs., but they did say that i was retaining alot of fluid. My hands , face, lips eyes, etc. all swollen. I looked awful! They shot was no picnic and was a little sick for about 3 hours.I amm feeling better. I love the beach, but I am looking forward to getting home. I have not been taking my vitmans or CALCIUM...I can really tell the difference. oK I hope everyone is doing great and I check in soon.

jms423
09-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Hi All!

I have been reading through the posts on here and wanted to chime in finally. I have been on BFC for a few weeks now and I haven't lost any weight. I also work out quite a bit - I run, lift weights, spin, hike, etc.

I track all my calories, sugar, carbs, fat and fiber through myfitnesspal.com. I know you don't have to track calories but I still try to keep it within a 1500-1700 daily range.

I am frustrated because I am not losing...at all. I might lose a lb. but then the next week I will be up a lb. Can anyone think of any reasons for this?

I am almost always at 100-120 carbs/ day, roughly 1600 calories, higher fat - usually like 70 g, protein is around 100 g and fiber usually at 20 g. I am almost always at 6-10 g of sugar and haven't been over 15 in weeks. I work out about 4-5 days a week, drink plenty of water, take my vitamins and get decent sleep. Any suggestions on what I could try?

One thing I can think of - I use truvia to sweeten my tea, but I do eat "processed products w/ splenda" such as sugar free candy and I do indulge in atkins products a few times a week (i.e. a packaged atkins cookie). I believe the atkins products do not contain splenda, but the other things such as sugar free Russell Stovers do. I keep everything within my allotment, but could Splenda be the culprit? I don't notice any other adverse side effects from it.

Any tips or suggestion would be helpful. Thanks and I really enjoy reading your stories as well!

ERHR
09-08-2011, 10:33 PM
jms423

I'm perplexed why you aren't losing as well. It's possible the artificial sugars could be slowing your loss but I wouldn't expect it to stall you completely. It's probably worth it to cut all of it out for a couple weeks to see if it makes a difference.

Maybe you could try lowering your carbs more? Technically you're not high enough on fiber, either. I'd say try for 30 g of fiber per day and get your carbs consistently below 100 g. I lost pretty well through a couple months when I was averaging 80 g carbs/day.

If lowering carbs doesn't work, maybe you could try lowering calories. I guess it depends on how active you are. I usually eat 1400-1500 cals/day and I'm only a little smaller than you - I work out a few times per week but not with great intensity.

jms423
09-09-2011, 12:30 AM
jms423

I'm perplexed why you aren't losing as well. It's possible the artificial sugars could be slowing your loss but I wouldn't expect it to stall you completely. It's probably worth it to cut all of it out for a couple weeks to see if it makes a difference.

Maybe you could try lowering your carbs more? Technically you're not high enough on fiber, either. I'd say try for 30 g of fiber per day and get your carbs consistently below 100 g. I lost pretty well through a couple months when I was averaging 80 g carbs/day.

If lowering carbs doesn't work, maybe you could try lowering calories. I guess it depends on how active you are. I usually eat 1400-1500 cals/day and I'm only a little smaller than you - I work out a few times per week but not with great intensity.

I think I can lower my carbs some more. It is difficult because I enjoy running and I feel the need to refuel w/ complex carbs after running. On my non-run days I will try and keep it lower.

I think I will try and limit my Spenda intake. It will be hard because sugar free treats are very tempting and help keep me sane. Do you think a sugar free treat (but w/ Splenda) everyday (or almost everyday) would prevent me from losing? I am counting the carbs...but if I cut that out that would not only cut out Splenda but also cut out about 20 carbs/day. I will try that.

Thanks for taking the time to read/respond.

ERHR
09-09-2011, 12:56 AM
I can't really say for sure what will work for you. I think the only way forward is through self-experimentation. You may be surprised that you can adjust to not having the treat with Splenda after a few days. You could substitute some berries or small amount of other fruit since you aren't borderline with your sugar intake yet. Best of luck.

jms423
09-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Yesterday was my first day without Splenda/sucralose. I did use Truvia (stevia) in my morning tea. I feel pretty good today; I don't know if that is a direct effect of the no sucralose or just because it is the weekend! :carrot:

I am going to keep trying to avoid sucralose and see if that helps. I was doing some research online and some people have horrible reactions to it (and of course it doesn't bother others).

nicolep91
09-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Hi everyone! I just started BFC after reading and researching for about a week. I officially started yesterday and so far I'm really liking it even though I had the dreaded sugar withdrawal headache on and off for most of the day today. (Hope that doesn't last too long?) I shopped and loaded up on lots of BFC friendly foods - spent a fortune & probably bought way more than I needed but wanted to have lots of options. My 13 (almost 14) year old daughter is doing this with me. I don't encourage her to diet but this feels like a healthy WOE and as long as she doesn't get obsessed I'm glad to have a partner.

From what I've read, a lot of you don't eat your 6 servings of carbs every day. I'm going to try to start out eating all of them since that is what drew me to this WOE but if I find I'm not losing, I will probably slowly cut 1 or 2 servings and see how that works. I did the South Beach Diet about 6 years ago and got down to about 135 and looked and felt great but slowly went back to old habits. I would love to get back to that weight but would be happy to be in the 140s right now.

Would love to hear everyone's favorite tip as to how they stay on track!

sage1313
09-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Yesterday was my first day without Splenda/sucralose. I did use Truvia (stevia) in my morning tea. I feel pretty good today; I don't know if that is a direct effect of the no sucralose or just because it is the weekend! :carrot:

I am going to keep trying to avoid sucralose and see if that helps. I was doing some research online and some people have horrible reactions to it (and of course it doesn't bother others).

Hi there! I don't post here often, but I wanted to chime in b/c I am one who feels the need to have a sweet treat every single day so I don't feel deprived, and i've been very successful with BFC (down 30 pounds since March and have surpassed my goal weight, am just maintaining now). There are quite a few chocolate products out there made with sugar alcohols, which are allowed (as opposed to splenda which is a big no no according to Jorge). At the regular grocery store, I can find these small bags of Reese's PB cups that are Sugar free (made with malitol, I believe) as well as Hershey's Sugar free dark choc (also made with malitol or another sugar alcohol). In my store, they're always with the Russell Stover SF stuff. Also, my favorite is the Simply Lite chocolate bars at Trader Joes made with malitol. They're SO good and I will have about 4 squares a day (for one serving of carbs). And, if you can find it, Clemmy's ice cream is really yummy. I eat a ton of veggies and eat pretty healthy, overall, but having my 1 (sometimes even 2 :devil:) carb servings of SF chocolate a day definitely help keep me going :D

BCL216
09-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Sage1313,
Welcome and thanks for sharing your tips. Please give us a detail success stroy and how you did it. If you prefer you can send me a private message.
I need your kind of inspiration, you have reached your goa. I know there must have been some challenges, please share.

fitchy
09-13-2011, 09:36 AM
I am frustrated because I am not losing...at all. I might lose a lb. but then the next week I will be up a lb. Can anyone think of any reasons for this?

I am almost always at 100-120 carbs/ day, roughly 1600 calories, higher fat - usually like 70 g, protein is around 100 g and fiber usually at 20 g. I am almost always at 6-10 g of sugar and haven't been over 15 in weeks. I work out about 4-5 days a week, drink plenty of water, take my vitamins and get decent sleep. Any suggestions on what I could try?

I'm not sure how your carb counter works, but are you counting only net carbs? BFC requires counting all carbs, including sugar alcohols. Just a thought...

Best luck,
Fitchy

jms423
09-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Sage - I too was having a treat everyday and I think that might have been what was keeping me from seeing any progress. I am not sure - I am grasping for straws on what I am doing wrong. I do like the Simply Lite Dark Choc w/ Almonds from Trader Joe's. Very yummy.

Fitchy - I am counting carbs (not net carbs) but thanks for the suggestion.

I am just trying to figure out what is what. I am going to keep on keeping on, but it is frustrating to not being losing anything when I am busting my butt in the gym running miles and lifting weights and then I am constantly passing on all the treats at work.

It gets frustrating to not see results after weeks. I start to get that "why bother" feeling because it isn't working. I was at 1700 calories and I wasn't seeing any results so after a few weeks I dropped to 1600 and still no results. It sucks because I get hungry with all my workouts.

Another thing I noticed is that I don't eat a ton of vegetables. Does anyone think that might help?

Or, I was going to try and calorie cycle a bit. Keep it lower (say 1400 ish) for a few days and then bump up to 1800 for a day. I know w/ BFC we aren't really supposed to need to calorie count but...

Grrr...sorry for the long rambling rant. I am just at my wit's end. All I can do is focus to being healthy, happy and enjoying the ride. Thanks for listening.

WebWoman
09-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Jms,
I know how frustrating it can be. I think you need to eat a lot more fresh green vegetables - they fill you up and are full of fiber to keep things moving. Just don't include the starchy vegs like potatoes, corn or peas. I like to make a "wrap" of lettuce leaves around deli meat, cheese, and peppers - kind of like a sub. I don't eat bread any more so the vegs are my complex carbs. Oh, and don't forget to drink tons of water.

ERHR
09-14-2011, 12:35 PM
jms423

I definitely think you should be eating lots of vegetables - as many as you can fit in with the sugar limit. In fact, why don't you try to get your carbs primarily from fruits, vegetables, beans, and nuts and only from grains if absolutely necessary?

Can you show us a sample menu of what you have been eating?

BCL216
09-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Hello ladies,
here is the link to the NEW BFC fast track. Check it out and maybe it will help.
www.jorgecruise.com/fasttrack-FREE-menu

jms423
09-14-2011, 04:17 PM
You guys are just amazing to be willing to help me!!!

Here is a standard "good" day. I did get some veggies in, but that is about the most I usually get in.

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sugar Fiber
the Organic Coffee Co. - Organic French Roast Coffee, 4 fl oz 2 0 0 0 0 0
Truvia - Nature's Calorie- Free Sweetener - 1 Packet, 0.5 Packet (3.5g) 0 1 0 0 0 0
Blue Diamond Almond Milk Chocolate Unsweetened - Almond Breeze Unsweetened Chocolate Milk, 1 cup 45 3 4 2 0 1
Jay Robb's - Whey Protein Powder, Chocolate, 15 g (1 scoop) 55 1 0 13 0 0
Trader Joe's - Peanut Butter - Creamy, Salted, 1 Tbsp. (32g) 95 4 8 4 1 2
Food for Life - Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain English Muffins , 1/2 muffin 80 15 1 4 0 3
Add Food Quick Tools 277 24 13 23 1 6

Snack
Thinkthin - Chocolate Fudge Bar, 1 bar 230 24 8 20 0 1
Raspberries - Raw, 0.25 cup 16 4 0 0 1 2
Add Food Quick Tools 246 28 8 20 1 3

Lunch
the Laughing Cow - Light French Onion Spreadable Cheese Wedge, 1 wedge-21g 35 1 2 2 1 0
Generic - Celery, Raw, 2 ounce (28 g) 10 2 0 0 1 1
Toufayan - Baked Pita Bread Low Carb, 0.5 Whole 65 8 1 6 0 5
Sprout's Farmer Market - Gyro Meat Slices, 2 ounces 190 4 15 9 0 0
Baba Foods - Tzatziki Cucumber Yogurt Sauce, 1 tbsp 15 1 1 1 1 0
Add Food Quick Tools 315 16 19 18 3 6

Snack
Homemade (Sam) - Pasta Salad (Rotini With Celery, Carrots, Broccoli, Red Pepper With Zesty Italian), 1 Cups 120 19 3 3 2 2
Add Food Quick Tools 120 19 3 3 2 2

Dinner
La Tortilla Factory Sonoma - Carb Cutting Tortilla, 1 Tortilla (36g) 60 11 2 5 0 7
Kroger - Frozen Diced Grilled Chicken Breast, 3 oz 100 1 3 21 0 0
Generic - Green Onions, 1 stalk chopped (12g) ~1/8 bunch 3 1 0 0 0 1
Sargento - Reduced Fat Colby-Jack Shredded Cheese, 1/4 cup (28g) 90 2 5 7 0 0
Add Food Quick Tools 253 15 10 33 0 8

Snack
Simply Lite - No Sugar Added Dark Chocolate W/ Almonds, 3 pieces 110 13 9 2 0 2
Blackstone - Merlot, 3 oz 69 0 0 0 0 0
Jay Robb's - Whey Protein Powder, Chocolate, 15 g (1 scoop) 55 1 0 13 0 0
Trader Joe's - Peanut Butter - Creamy, Salted, 1 Tbsp. (32g) 95 4 8 4 1 2
Add Food Quick Tools 329 18 17 19 1 4

Totals 1,540 120 70 116 8 29
Your Daily Goal 1,600 120 62 140 15 35
Remaining 60 0 -8 24 7 6
Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sugar Fiber

ERHR
09-14-2011, 07:31 PM
jms423

Disclaimer: Normally I wouldn't criticize someone's food choices so much but since this isn't working for you... Anyway don't feel like you have to change everything at once, or that I or any other commenter is an expert. You know your body best.

My first impression is that you have a lot of processed food on here, especially grains. We have already discussed the sweets and grains (English muffin, pasta salad, tortilla, pita) and how to substitute those out if you want. What about having a salad for lunch or dinner with spinach, tomato, beans, and your choice of other vegetables and some fats (dressing, cheese, avocado)? That will still provide you a lot of carbohydrates but with a greater variety of nutrients than just bread or pasta.

While the BFC doesn't prescribe a certain fat/carb/protein ratio, personally I eat a lot more fat, a lot less carbs, and a little less protein. You mentioned before your workout routine - are you eating all the carbs and protein to sustain that? Why are you using the protein powder instead of food? Unless you have good reason to be at those numbers, I'd try cutting down the carbs and increasing your fat and possibly reducing the whey protein powder and seeing how your body responds.

Lastly - and this is a basic calorie-counting question, not a BFC one - are you weighing/measuring all your food? If not, you could be consuming more than you think you are.

jms423
09-15-2011, 12:23 AM
jms423

Disclaimer: Normally I wouldn't criticize someone's food choices so much but since this isn't working for you... Anyway don't feel like you have to change everything at once, or that I or any other commenter is an expert. You know your body best.

My first impression is that you have a lot of processed food on here, especially grains. We have already discussed the sweets and grains (English muffin, pasta salad, tortilla, pita) and how to substitute those out if you want. What about having a salad for lunch or dinner with spinach, tomato, beans, and your choice of other vegetables and some fats (dressing, cheese, avocado)? That will still provide you a lot of carbohydrates but with a greater variety of nutrients than just bread or pasta.

While the BFC doesn't prescribe a certain fat/carb/protein ratio, personally I eat a lot more fat, a lot less carbs, and a little less protein. You mentioned before your workout routine - are you eating all the carbs and protein to sustain that? Why are you using the protein powder instead of food? Unless you have good reason to be at those numbers, I'd try cutting down the carbs and increasing your fat and possibly reducing the whey protein powder and seeing how your body responds.

Lastly - and this is a basic calorie-counting question, not a BFC one - are you weighing/measuring all your food? If not, you could be consuming more than you think you are.

No - bring on the criticism! I asked for it and need it!

I know I eat too much processed food. I work full-time, go to school full-time and still try and work-out and be a wife. But, I can't use that as an excuse.

Tomorrow I packed my lunch and I have celery w/ a laughing cow wedge, green bell pepper strips w/ hummus and added spinach to my low carb wrap (I eat on my way to class). Snacks are walnuts/almond pack and 1/2 protein bar postwork-out (I have an hour drive home and need something).

Does that look better? I think I knew my downfalls of my diet but kinda didn't want to admit it (if that makes sense). I will work on adding the veggies and taking out some of the processed/easy food. I did have a spinach salad for dinner today which I don't normally do - you all inspired me!

I will keep you guys updated and thank you thank you for the help!

ERHR
09-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Yes, I think those are great changes. I'm not sure if this suggestion would be helpful for your lifestyle, but it works well for me: Once or twice a week I cook something in our slow-cooker - usually split pea and ham soup or meat, vegetable, and bean chili - and pack it up in individual serving sizes to grab for my lunches at work. It takes barely any time to prepare food to go into a slow-cooker and you end up with quite a lot of meals. For me it's a great timesaver.

jms423
09-16-2011, 12:38 AM
Yes, I think those are great changes. I'm not sure if this suggestion would be helpful for your lifestyle, but it works well for me: Once or twice a week I cook something in our slow-cooker - usually split pea and ham soup or meat, vegetable, and bean chili - and pack it up in individual serving sizes to grab for my lunches at work. It takes barely any time to prepare food to go into a slow-cooker and you end up with quite a lot of meals. For me it's a great timesaver.

Bean chili or ham soup would be great! Do you have a recipe you could share? It is still 100 here in Phoenix, but it should start cooling down soon. That sounds really good!

deetermined2
09-16-2011, 01:26 AM
jms 423,

The sugar alcohol maltitol is somewhat controversial. I read that it may have some impact for some people (not all, as evidenced by sage 1313's wonderful success). You may want to try to avoid maltitol for a week to see whether that helps.

jms423
09-18-2011, 03:10 PM
jms 423,

The sugar alcohol maltitol is somewhat controversial. I read that it may have some impact for some people (not all, as evidenced by sage 1313's wonderful success). You may want to try to avoid maltitol for a week to see whether that helps.

Yeah, I am going to try and get rid of all the "treats" in the diet. Technically they are allowed and I am staying within my allotted numbers, but I think (as everyone has no nicely helped point out) that I should be getting in more real food.

This morning I had an egg beaters omelet w/ spinach, grape tomato, avocado and green onion. It was amazing and I get in some veggies. Yesterday I swapped my small serving of spanish rice for steamed vegetables. Small changes.

I did have one question - when I have been adding in vegetables I notice it is hard to stay under my sugar goal. All vegetables seem to have 1-3 g of sugar and I think this is why I steered away in the past. I was eating a 0 sugar (but full of sugar alcohols) in the place of real food to get the sugar count as low as I can. Does anyone notice they go over their sugar due to veggies and/or berries (blueberries, raspberries)?

wooogirlem
09-20-2011, 07:35 PM
I have been reading your forum for the last 40 minutes or so, and decided to register. My daughter and I started the 'Fast Track' today. So far, we love it. We decided to do it together and it was the only 'diet' that I felt comfortable allowing her to follow. I hate that word...ick. I love that this is a lifestyle changer~now if I could convince the hubby all would be perfect in life.

WebWoman
09-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Welcome wooogirlm! I'm curious how the Fast Track works out for you, as the large breakfast would make me nauseous (but that's only me). It's really great that your daughter and you are doing this together - you can share meals and support each other. Once you get used to cutting most sugar and substitutes, it gets a lot easier. Please let us know how it's working for you both!

grasshopper
09-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Hey,I'm new here.I have tried bfc before and had some success but I fell of the wagon.Since I'm new to 3fc I'm going to start it one more time.

WebWoman
09-23-2011, 12:05 AM
Welcome Grasshopper!

When you tried BFC before, were you able to wean yourself from sugars, artificial sugars, and simple carbs? I believe that is the key to prevent the cravings which lead to snarfing everything in site (at least for me!)..Why did you quit the BFC the last time?

jms423
09-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Just wanted to say hi. This thread has been quiet but I am still here. This week was pretty good for me. Not weight loss :mad: but I feel good, been sleeping good, had decent energy and had great workouts. That counts for something.

I figure if I just keep doing what I know I should do eventually I will see results.

Have a great Friday!

ERHR
09-25-2011, 11:51 PM
I've had Brie and raspberries for dessert three nights in a row!! I love eating low-carb!

deetermined2
09-26-2011, 10:35 AM
My copy of BFC Fast Track finally arrived, (a year after it was originally due). Even though Jorge hates having it compared to Atkins, the plans aren't that dissimilar, especially when compared to the New Atkins plan.

I ran the first day through an online meal tracker and ended up with under 28 total carbs and 1300 calories. The carbs would have been even lower if the food tracker site had had an 85% dark chocolate, and I hadn't put in part of a red pepper instead of a green pepper.

I haven't tried it, yet. The last time I tried to get my body into ketosis, it refused. I had days of feeliing absolutely awful and no weight loss. I would have to plan ahead to figure out when I want to possibly feel like that again.

jms423
09-27-2011, 01:09 AM
Yikes! Had a brownie today. I was stuck in a cafeteria for dinner and started out great...chicken breast, salad, steamed veggies....then the dessert bar called to me. I caved and had a brownie. I haven't had a baked good in months. It was amazing but not worth it. Luckily it didn't trigger any more cravings.

WebWoman
09-27-2011, 08:50 AM
JMS,

I think it's interesting that you said it was amazing but not worth it. Someone else said the first bite is the best and the rest don't compare. Too bad we can't just take one bite of dessert and leave the rest. :) Today you can just start again.