Old 09-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #1  
Intuitive Eater

Default September Calorie Counters

Hi everyone! I hope you don't mind a newbie starting the September thread. I didn't see one. (I left a short intro thread about me last month, I just haven't been back to get involved in this forum.)

Anyhow, I've been looking for a place to jump in to join the group, new month seemed like a good place to start. I've been counting for about 2 weeks now and it seems to be going well for me. (Tho I do have my moments and have missed a few days.) But I am finding more and more that I like counting better than any other plan because of the flexibility. I have also been following "You: On A Diet" but the calorie counting seems to be taking over the "YOAD" plan (because quite frankly, I DO like to eat foods not allowed on that plan). So we'll see how it goes. I like all of the good-for-you foods YOAD recommends (there's not much food I don't like ) and combining it with calorie counting ensures I eat enough things like fruit which I tend to skimp on otherwise.

Well, enough about me! How is everyone doing?

--------EDIT--------
Gee! What a DUMMY! I didn't realize everyone was still posting in the July/August thread when I started this! SORRY!!!

Last edited by Blue Serenity; 09-05-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Blue Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Blue Serenity~ Welcome!

I completely forgot it's September already. Egads! Time is flying. Before you know it it'll be Christmas.

I'm doing okay for today, I have my day all planned out, so things should go smoothly.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am a believer in calorie counting, too. I have tried other plans and they work but often times are complicated.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:18 PM   #4  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

Height: 5' 7"

Oh, goodie. A fresh, new thread.

A so-so day for moi, today. I ended up snacking. Big time. A bowl full of potato chips. (Not a huge bowl, a cereal bowl ) Then I had to have tortilla chips, same amount. Just about then, my chicken came out of my oven, so I had a piece of that. So, I added about 920 calories to my day and am sitting at just shy of 1600. I am debating dinner. I probably won't, now. I am still too full and it is getting late. Bleck! I feel urpy-burpy. You'd think I would learn.

Anyone who is feeling the urge, g'head and smack me one upside my idiot head.

I hope that you are all having a great, on track, happy day.
Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/150

Height: 5' 11"

Oh gush, I have been doing so good for 14 days - Then yesterday happened. I had A LOT of KFC yesterday afternoon.

Then I thought "heck, I messed up, so I might as well have hamburgers and ice cream for dinner" - I know, stupid, huh? - And gush, my stomach is so upset today. I wish I didn't do it.

I am back on plan today - I might even cut me cals down to around 1,200 for today and tomorrow... to try to make up for the 5,000 cals I consumed yesterday.

I hope everbody is doing great on their plans!!
Findmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:04 AM   #6  
Intuitive Eater

Hi zenor77, nice to meet you.

Hi bargoo, a familiar "face," good to see you in this section too.

Rain Dancer and Snoozles, I can totally relate to overdoin' it! I had a horrible holiday weekend that ended in one less box of Cheez-its. (You'll probably see me talk about Cheez-its a lot, they're my fav. Hard to keep my hands off of.)

My scale is recovering from that binge. Only one more pound to lose to get back to 187.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/280/175

Height: 5'5"

Hi,

I'm a newbie too. I just started counting calories about 3.5 weeks ago and have lost 9 lbs so far. I was just telling my sister that of all the diets I've tried (and there have been many) that counting calories is by far the easiest for me to do. I'm still allowed to eat what I want as long as it's within my calories. I also try to watch my fat intake but not as closely as calories.

I love this site because it gives me the inspiration to keep going and to know there are so many others like me out there. :-)

Keep up the great work!
SkinnyGirlInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Yesterday was, um, a bust. I had my nice plan and them, wham-o, TOM creeps in and rears his ugly head. *Sigh* I didn't go over my maintenance calories, so I'm sure I won't gain, but it's still frustrating.

It also doesn't help that I'm a little blue. Not full on depressed, but it's hard moving to a new city. I still haven't found a job and I can only spend so much time sending out my resume. I need to get out of the house more (and away from the fridge.) I do like it here though.

SkinnyGirlInside~ Glad you can join us! That's the same reason I love calorie counting, no food restrictions, just portion control.

Rain Dancer~ Here you go: But seriously, we all have days like that. It's sucks, I know, but just get right back to it and you'll be fine! You can do it!

Snoozles~ Cutting back a bit the next day or two sounds like a great idea! You might want to get in lots of water too. I imagine that KFC has a lot of salt.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/190/150

Hi I am new to counting calories. I just started about a week ago. I have been having a lot of trial and errors. I also think I need to get an extra set of measuring cups. I am using a notebook for now. Any tried and true tips?
I love veggies but I tend to have a hard time with the portion control part.

Last edited by its4me; 09-04-2008 at 09:35 PM.
its4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #10  
Ashley

S/C/G: 175/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

I'm a newbie to this thread but I have been calorie counting since Aug. 1st. I measure things and I write my calories in a notebook. I eat between 1200-1500 a day. Exercise every other day 30 mins to 1 hr. I can control my portions too.
jmfan317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:54 AM   #11  
Go Cubs Go!

Blue, you just had to mention Cheeze-Its, didn't you?

Thanks, Zenor. I needed that.

Had a much better day, today. I ate a lot. And I am still light almost three hundred calories. But, it is getting late and I really am not hungry. So, I am going to let them float off into the ether.

'Night, everyone.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #12  
Back to make it to goal!

Location: Seattle, but an Original CA girl! I miss the sunny days!

S/C/G: 204/see ticker/140-135?

Height: 5'3

LOL...is this where you all have been this whole time? LOL I must of been far gone. Yes it's been a very hectic week. So I will have to jump back on here later and catch up. But glad to see you all on here.
Tinky009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:45 AM   #13  
Go Cubs Go!

Hey, Tinky. Glad you found us.

So, yesterday was a good day. In the end, I didn't have anything else to eat. I just didn't want it. So, I am going to make a real effort to get my full calories in, today. It's weird, I can eat and eat and eat, total it up and I am short a couple of hundred calories. Then, other days, I am as careful as I can be and easily blow past my target number. Things that make you go hmmm...

I hope that you are all having a great day. On track, strong and feeling good and good about yourselves.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #14  
Workin' It

I've been calorie counting for 3 months and have never posted in this thread... Don't know why, I've been reading it!

Its4me - my tried and true suggestion is get a food scale! I was measuring everything out with cups and spoons, thought I was eating at a certain calorie level and wondered why I wasn't losing weight the way I expected... Got a food scale and weighed out the things I was measuring, discovered I was eating from 100-400 extra calories per day over what I thought... My big offenders were rice, peanut butter, trail mix, pasta.

I've been on plan all week, 1200-1300 target, averaged 1254/day for the week. I'm about to up my calories - I'm happy with the weight I'm at now I believe. I'm pretty scared to up those calories! Thinking about it actually makes me a little shaky!

Have a great day everybody!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #15  
Intuitive Eater

Hi all!

Welcome SkinnyGirlInside, its4me and mjluva829! I keep a notebook of what I eat and when I exercise too. This is helping me a lot. A food scale is a good idea, I have one of those too. Coming to the 3FC site everyday is a BIG help! And way to go on the loss SkinnyGirl!

zenor77, yesterday was a bust for me too. C'mon let's get going! Today is a new day!

Rain, gotta love those Cheez-Its! lol!

Glad you found us Tinky009 ... sorry to change the thread on ya! I was anxious to get going, new month and all!

Hi Shannon, glad to have you join us! I'm new here too. Good luck on maintaining! Way to go!

Soon as I finish getting caught up on the boards I'm off to get done what I didn't get done yesterday! lol

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by Blue Serenity; 09-05-2008 at 11:59 AM. Reason: typos