Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2garden View Post
Lynn I'd love to be down to the number u started with.
Hi Sandy,

I don't think we have "met." I just read your bio. Gardening is out for me unless I can figure a way to do it without getting on my knees - knee surgery last fall.

My hobbies are reading, playing mah jongg, taking courses, teaching courses, and going to movies/plays/vacations.

Lynn
Old 07-01-2015, 10:21 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Lots of posts to read today!

Hi Bobbi, Hi Lynn! Good to see both of you here.

Love2garden, the Kelp capsules I have are Nature's Way. I rarely go to any store but Walmart and Target so I think it would be one of them, probably Walmart. I buy all my Health and Beauty Aids there, and I really need the Beauty Aids! LOL

Gayle, I know how discouraging it can get when the weight loss stops and you know you're doing everything right. Forget the slip up and just get right back on plan. You can do this! Is Steve losing weight? I think some of us are just slow losers and we have to live with that.

Lynn, I was wondering how you were doing after your knee surgery. I have one bad knee and can't do much on my knees. If I do manage to get down on my knees, I need help getting back up. I bought a garden tool that has 4 prongs and a long handle. You put it down into the dirt and twist it to dig around your plants and you do it standing up so you don't have to get down on your knees. It works as long as the ground isn't too hard.

Mary, I have always liked shopping at Penneys and Sears. I haven't been there for a long time because there's been a lot of road construction between us and the mall for the past couple years. It's terrible driving through there. I've been doing a lot of my shopping at Kohls. They send me a lot of coupons.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #108  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Lynn, I was wondering how you were doing after your knee surgery. I have one bad knee and can't do much on my knees. If I do manage to get down on my knees, I need help getting back up. I bought a garden tool that has 4 prongs and a long handle. You put it down into the dirt and twist it to dig around your plants and you do it standing up so you don't have to get down on your knees. It works as long as the ground isn't too hard.
Hi Carol Sue,

After the knee surgery, I had two "cardiac events." Not heart attacks, but lots of cardiac symptoms resulted in me getting 2 stents. Problem after the catherization. The surgeon clipped the artery in my groin & ended up with horrible pain & bruising.

The knees are pretty good, but cannot kneel for any length of time.

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 07-02-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #109  

July 2

Progress toward Fiscal Year Challenge goal -
Weight - 153
Exercise -
25 reclining elliptical level 3
5 elliptical level 1
25 treadmill @ 2.5 no elevation
Calories - 942

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 07-03-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #110  

Height: 5' 2"

Lynn Your experience with surgery is really nerve wrecking!!! Glad you at least have a new knee.

I also have one replaced knee and one that receives lubricating shots every 7 or 8 months that allow me to walk without pain. So grateful. However, I simply bend over in semi squat when I plant or weed in the garden.

Having pots for the flowers that require deadheading helps. Not so far to bend over.

Carol Sue we avoid driving distances, and especially thru heavy traffic. The tension I feel is not worth it. It is easy to get to the mall that has Sears and Penney's. This is also near my daughter, granddaughter, and the wonderful Massage therapist.

Mary hope you are doing well today.

I head to Snap Fittness for a bit of strength building and exercise in a few minutes. Also to our Prayer Chapel for an hour of solitude and prayer. We keep it open most hours each day and rotate on who covers which hour. Usually I am by myself, but some people come in together for their hour.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:04 PM   #111  

Height: 5'3"

Feel like I'm spinning my wheels today...have a lot of to-dos but something keeps coming up to stop me from getting them done. Did most daily stuff, partially weekly cleaned small bathroom, stripped our bed and put one load in washer then headed out for some things. Got home and then went out again to go with dh to see doctor. Dh has been having some neck pain past three days and doctor thinks it is arthritis. This made me late on my eating (every 2-3 hrs) so stopped at Five Guys for a veggie sandwich. Put on my tracker and it says too much carb! Was really surprised as it's just the usual size bun and just onions, gr pepper, and mushrooms with one slice cheese. I would think the fat might be an issue, but not carbs. Only thing I can think of is that you can put whatever you want on it and I know they offered me sauce so think probably most people get sauce and that might add to the carbs. The software can only do so much when things have lots of variables. I don't care, I enjoyed my sandwich!

So now I'm home and tired from the heat and wanting to rest but have much to do. Need to check my laundry and make the bed at least. My pain is much less so thankful for that! I notice when I stick to my diet my tummy feels better too, but last night I overate some and it hurt again. So less discomfort is incentive I guess.

Sandy - Your life seems very calm and peaceful..I like that. Hope the shot is continuing to keep the pain at bay.

Lynn - You were always disciplined...so I know you can do it again. You put me to shame!

Lynn, Carol, Sandy - So many women I know have had problems with hips and knees already....I'm doing pretty good that way although I did have pain in my hip (very little now) and I have a little soreness in my lt knee that I've been told by previous doc may be arthritis. I hope neither get worse. Surgery seems to help us in some ways but often it hurts us in other ways.
A raised garden might help you with gardening. That's how dh does it although I think he should have made his higher.

Carol - For a long time after it opened up here..Kohls was my go-to store. I love all the sales! But then it got so I rarely found anything to fit me. I still shop there from time to time but have mostly switched to Pennys. This was the first time I've found much at Sears that fit. I will continue to shop there if I do though. When I worked, Norstrom was my store of choice. I bought on sale but I bought too much in those days. I've totally changed, now I do not often shop for myself. I may buy more than one thing when I do but it's because I don't want to shop again too soon...I'm too hard to fit!

Ok,gotta move..have a good evening!

Last edited by maryea; 07-02-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:42 PM   #112  

Thought I'd show you guys examples from the Food Lovers Diet I'm trying. It's kinda different...makes me think of the One, One, One plan, but I think it works out the things that weren't so perfect with that one. However I still struggle a bit knowing if I'm putting together a perfect fat loss plate. Sometimes I'm surprised by what they think is right and sometimes what is wrong. I usually figure it out but find it a little quirky at times. See what you think.

THIS WAS NOT A TYPICAL EATING DAY FOR ME..,,I do not usually eat restaurant foods for two meals a days and I don't often eat candy bars. I'll list the foods and their comments (actually the software's).

9:00 Breakfast
2 sl Sara Lee 45 cal whole wheat bread
1 T Smart Balance
1 T fruit spread
1 Cup NF milk

PERFECT!

11:45 Snack
Peanut candy bar

PERFECT!

3 PM Lunch
Veggie Sandwich
11 peanuts (from shell)

Overall portions too large, fat portion too large, carb portion too large (I don't agree, maybe they think I had sauce on it). Also went too long without eating between am snack and lunch.

6 PM Dinner
2 veggie spring rolls from Panda Express
1 cup blueberries, unsweetened

PERFECT!

In the coach's section where they grade you and teach, they said one at least one of todays meals did not have enough protein. I had two veggie meals. They also said at least one meal had too much fat..probably the breakfast sandwich as I had one slice of cheese on it

It's kinda fun trying to get the perfect plate...LOL Hopefully I'll get the hang of it and if I start losing weight I'll be able to do it on my own.

Last edited by maryea; 07-02-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:57 PM   #113  

Mary, the only thing I notice is that you had very little protein throughout the day but the program obviously didn't think so!

This morning I was watching the national weather and I noticed that the temps are very hot up in your area, if you live where I think you live. I'm not sure and won't mention where I think it is. Our temps have been in the high 70s and low 80s.

I still like Sears for clothes for me, but I've gotten away from going there. Kohls sends me coupons online. Recently, they have been sending me coupons for $5 off anything. I will go there just to get that $5 even if I don't need anything. Sometimes there's something DH wants, or I can usually find a casual top for $8 or $10, and if not, I buy something from the clearance jewelry. They have some pretty necklaces or bracelets that dress up an outfit, something that I probably wouldn't buy at the regular price, but it's just a few dollars on clearance. I know that it's their intention that you will go there and spend a lot more. Sometimes they are having a % off sale and I can combine the $5 coupon with a % discount. Another store I really like is Bon Ton, but that is also at the mall where we run into all the road construction. Maybe they will be done with that soon.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:18 PM   #114  

Yeah, they caught the protein...it says one or more meals with not enough protein. See at the end. I'm not a big protein eater unless it's from milk. I do drink quite a lot of milk. I like Kohls coupons too. Pennys also has coupons here...I think they are trying to compete with Kohls. My problem with shopping is that I'm not a Woman's Size but am too big in my torso/middle for Misses! I was fortunate this time to find some things in the Lands End Misses dept and some in the Womans. Understand about the road construction and if it's a big project it can sometimes last a long time.

ETA: Still studying FL, and I see that breakfast and snack were fat burning, but from lunch on, so far, it's been fat storing..I guess because I had cheese and peanuts with lunch and because I had no protein with dinner. Interesting ..I guess I'm learning..

Last edited by maryea; 07-02-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #115  

Ok, Mary, I missed the part where they said there was not enough protein. I could eat too much meat/protein if I don't watch. I like it. When I had the home nurse coming here after my surgery she told me to eat protein at every meal, but when they talk about protein, they meal a small serving, like maybe 3 oz. I tend to eat more than that.

I might look into that program. I think you said there's a free trial. I'd like to see what they say about my meals.

I can wear misses pants as long as the waist is big enough. I'm biggest through the middle. With tops, it can go between an XL misses or a 1X womans. It just depends on how it's made. A lot of the tops today are made with some spandex and they tend to hug my midriff too close. I prefer a looser fit, but not big and baggy.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #116  

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2garden View Post
Lynn Your experience with surgery is really nerve wrecking!!! Glad you at least have a new knee.

I also have one replaced knee and one that receives lubricating shots every 7 or 8 months that allow me to walk without pain. So grateful. However, I simply bend over in semi squat when I plant or weed in the garden.

Having pots for the flowers that require deadheading helps. Not so far to bend over.
Hi Sandy,

I am in same situation - except the non-operated-on knee gets cortisone shots. Tried the lubricating shots (something to do with roosters) - didn't work as well as the cortisone for me.

Lynn
Old 07-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #117  

July 3

Progress toward Fiscal Year Challenge goal -
Weight - 152
Exercise - Rest day
Calories - 1009

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 07-03-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #118  

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
Lynn - You were always disciplined...so I know you can do it again. You put me to shame!
Hi Mary,

I go in spurts. Ever since I lost the 40 lbs (now down to 30 lbs), I don't have much of an appetite for large meals. Can't eat more than 1/2 of stuff at most restaurants. However, I still crave sweets. I work around it by getting low-calorie stuff (ice cream bars, cookies), but I know they are empty calories. I know my diet is too heave in carbs & not enough veggies & protein.

Planning to make myself some healthy stuff today - mushroom soup & zucchini muffins.

Right now I feel like I am back in my zone. Hopefully, I will get myself back down to 145 and hold it for the rest of the year.

Lynn
Old 07-03-2015, 10:31 AM   #119  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
When I had the home nurse coming here after my surgery she told me to eat protein at every meal, but when they talk about protein, they meal a small serving, like maybe 3 oz. I tend to eat more than that.
Hi Carol Sue,

I am the opposite. I get most of my protein from dairy & eggs. Every once in a while I crave a hamburger or bacon, but, for the most part, I have trouble making myself eat meat. Unfortunately, I'm not crazy about beans either. I have a protein bar every morning & keep some protein powder around for shakes.

Lynn
Old 07-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #120  

Another busy day...need to finish up as much housework as I can today. Dh was up in the attic early running the line for our new security system, drilling etc so I couldn't sleep in. Know he wanted to do it before the heat. All of a sudden I thought, "he shouldn't be up there with all that insulation!" I knew he was wearing a surgical mask but still I don't think it's a good idea. Funny I hadn't really thought about it until this AM. Then I heard him cough and I got up to yell at him. He couldn't hear me of course but a few seconds later he came down. He said he's done and that he didn't know if our son would know how to do it the way he wanted it...yeah, he always thinks that and he needs to learn to delegate. I told him he needs to not only delegate but also to just say no sometimes. The scare we had back in Dec was enough, I don't want any more to happen to him.

The idea of FL diet is like others out there...to encourage fat burning rather than storage by preventing the in rush of insulin. Protein with carbs is key. You don't have to eat a FC and fats are optional. Of course, I love FC. hat's what the 3 weeks are for ....to get you used to the plan, making the necessary changes.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't eat a lot of meat. I really have to think each meal, where am I getting my protein. Eating this way I feel full all the time, sometimes almost too full, in fact I actually fill up very fast anymore...esp since the first of the year. It's like there is a tight band constricting me. I'm wondering whether there is a reason for that. I know I should listen to it and stop eating, however I still can eat and in the evenings I still overeat and when I do I get that right upper quadrant pain/discomfort again. My first thought was that it is the muscles in my upper abdomen stretching ...I remember a similar feeling when I was pregnant with my 3rd child and my abdomen has gotten a lot bigger...seems like all my weight is going there. When I eat less, I don't notice it. I am scheduled for a consultation and colonoscopy later on this month. Sure hope they don't find anything wrong but better to know and deal with it I guess.

Carol Sue - You sound a lot like me in the sizes.

Well need to get going...

Last edited by maryea; 07-03-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Closed Thread