Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 11:22 AM   #211  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mary, what I tend to do is graze. Pick at different things constantly. Similar to snacking, I think. Due to this, I eat way too much. I need to learn to only eat when I feel actual hunger. My goal is to eat breakfast, and then not eat again until I feel true hunger. I think different things work for different people, none is right or wrong.

Love2garden, I would not want the doctor who is always 2 hours late. I know if YOU are late for your appointment sometimes they won't take you, or put you at the end of the line. When I was growing up, our doctor did not have appointments. Back then you only went to the doctor if something was wrong.....no check-ups. You went during his office hours and waited in line. Honor system. If someone came in with a sick child, most people let them go in ahead. His office was on the second floor and sometimes the line went all the way down the stairs and out the door. He didn't leave until the last patient had been seen, and sometimes that was 10 o'clock at night. My mother paid him by check, and he never cashed her checks. He knew we were very low income.

Dinner is the only meal I cook for us, too. Many times DH skips breakfast or lunch, and sometimes both. I always ask him what time he wants to eat. We eat very early, usually around 4-5. If DH hasn't had breakfast or lunch we might eat as early as 3. It makes it hard for me if I have had lunch, but I do what he wants. No matter what DH cooks, he always makes extra in case I want some, and if it's there, I usually eat it. If he makes hot dogs for his lunch, he always cooks an extra one. If he makes fried potatoes, there's always extra. If he makes a sandwich, he cuts it in half and asks if I want some. Sometimes I think he is being nice, other times I think he is sabotaging my weight loss. Some men do that.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:56 PM   #212  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

Hope you all are having a nice weekend.

I have to share a cute Maddie story. She was with me at my physical therapy appointment the other day. They gave me a tap bell to use if I needed help. Maddie was just all taken with that bell. She thought it would be just the perfect thing to pester Corbin with. She talked about where could she buy one ~ the PT lady was making suggestions. Maddie piped up and said ~ maybe *medical.com. She had the people in stitches. Then the PT assistant told her she could have it ~ she said that she is the one who orders them when they need to replace them or need more and that Maddie could have that one. You would have thought she gave her a piece of gold or something. The lady made her promise not to torment Corbin too much. She couldn't wait to show mama.

It is a nice sunny day here today. Wish I felt more peppy. Counting down the days/weeks until I can get back on my RA meds.

I wanted to ask for prayer help. My son's girlfriend who shares the apartment and expenses with him ~ was layed off last week. She has always been a good worker and had a job. He doesn't make enough money to be able to pay the bills (rent, utilities, groceries) all by himself. He barely makes enough to support himself. So, praying that she will be able to find a job quickly ~ one that will make enough money to be able to pay the bills.

Carol Sue ~ I am sort of like that ~ the grazing. I think waiting to eat until I am hungry is a good idea. Sometimes it feels like I get hungry pretty often. I feel like this new way of eating ~ the foods don't hold me as long as I wish they would. If I try to eat what I feel is enough to hold me for a while, I end up feeling too full. I was thinking that maybe if I drink a glass of water when I feel hungry but feel like it is too soon to eat again, that that might make me be able to wait longer and so that I don't feel like I am constantly eating. Gotta give that a try.

Mary ~ your recipes sound good. Sara brought me some mangos the other day ~ more than I can eat myself ~ Steve doesn't care for them. So, I thought that I would cut them up and freeze the chunks to use for making smoothies ~ so that they don't go to waste.

Sandy ~ I can identify with eating worse if I wait too long. If I get too hungry, I tend to grab what ever is quick and that is usually not the best choice.

Lynn ~ your recipe for the iced mocha frappe is another yummy sounding one I'd like to try.

Guess I'd better get off here and do something.

Take care
Old 07-26-2015, 06:47 PM   #213  

Height: 5'3"

Just got home from both church and eating out. My weight dropped back down to 167 (not my recent lowest but better) but today we went to Red Lobster as dh wanted the crab fest. I got fish and a baked potato plus a salad. Ate the salad with only a little dressing (I don't really care much for dressing), ate the potato with only a little butter and sour cream, and ate only about a 4th or even less of the fish, it was so large. Brought the fish home but going to wait until tomorrow to eat it...learned my lesson about eating restaurant food twice in same day! This is my splurge meal (not on my plan but I do it anyway) so I did get dessert, shared with dh. So I'm totally off plan, but the difference is now, I will not keep splurging all day as I've often done in the past. I actually had to learn this from my dd! "A splurge is one meal, not all day, mom."

Changed my mind and I had an apple pie smoothie this morning for breakfast instead of a mocha. It wasn't bad, though not really my thing. It had a little cooked oatmeal, a small apple, water and vanilla protein powder in it. It fit the plan perfectly. One thing about this way of eating...Food Lovers diet...is I'm really never hungry. My bs has been much better and I'm also sleeping better. I'm sure the increased medication is the biggest reason but I suspect the fact that I'm eating better helps too. BTW, I had my first perfect day of fatloss meals/snacks yesterday! When tempted I said, I eat according to my plan. Since I can eat pretty much whatever I want in limited proportions it's really not that hard if I just stay committed.

Three meals and three snacks. Here's what I ate:
(see why I'm never hungry!)
Breakfast
Oatmeal with apples and brown sugar (1 t.)

Snack#1
Strawberries and cantaloupe
2 slices cheese

Lunch
1/2 bun with beef and black bean chili burger (leftovers)
radishes

Dinner
Beef BBQ burger
Cauliflower

Snack#2
Mocha PB Frosty (1/2 serv)

Snack#3
Mocha PB Frost (1/2 serv)

I also rode my bike for 17 min. Trying to work up to 36..sounds very far away right now!

Carol Sue - Yes, left to my own devices...that's kind of what I do. After I retired I would work a little, eat, work, eat, work, eat..throughout my day
I was already heavy but I quickly gained ten pounds this way. It seemed I could eat a lot at a time then too...now just since the 1st of this year, I fill up fast...I can override it and often have but I get very uncomfortable. This worries me a little because I don't know the cause but it does keep me from eating quite so much. Eating like i am now is perfect because I'm never really hungry (I sometimes still eat just for taste though and that's when I get off plan), yet I feel like I'm always eating.

Sandy - Had to smile about your dh's praying so long..I want to eat as soon as I leave the bedroom and in fact on this plan I am supposed to eat within an hour from when I wake up. Again it has to do with not storing fat. I think it would prefer I not sleep so long too...but I'm not actually sleeping all that time, I'm just in bed a long time! Maybe I can comply with the 7-8 hrs of sleep rule when I get caught up on my rest at least i hope so. Dh and I have our devotional time AFTER breakfast.

I think it's great that you encouraged your children to talk about their day. My dad and I were the talkative ones in our family. No one dared complain about dad (and he talked mostly to mom and other adults), but I was made fun of because I was talkative (by my family). By the time I was grown up I was ashamed of it and felt like I shouldn't talk at all. I think that is so wrong to do to a kid. I too encouraged my children to talk. As long as they are not doing anything wrong, a child should be encouraged to be themselves.

Last edited by maryea; 07-26-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:42 AM   #214  

Mary, because of the way I graze, I never feel hungry and haven't for the past 20 years at least. I am trying to let myself get to the hungry stage so I know that I'm not overeating. If I only ate when I was hungry I would not have a weight problem. Years ago when I was on this one diet, I cut my calories way back, actually too low. I would get that hungry feeling, and I liked it, because it told me I was losing weight. But I didn't maintain that loss. There are so many times that I eat because DH is eating, or wants me to eat with him. I don't need a special reason. LOL

I could never eat a smoothie as a meal. To me it would feel like I was drinking a milk shake and I would want a burger with it. LOL I have to have the taste, feel, and crunch of the food.

Gayle, that Maddie story is so cute! Several businesses in our area have those bells at the register and kids love to hit them. When they're little like that the smallest things make them happy!
Old 07-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #215  

Height: 5' 2"

Carol Sue I've given up on waiting for that "hunger feeling." I'm not taking refills, make sure my plate has plenty of edge showing with food not over flowing, eating 3 times a day for meals and perhaps small snack between lunch and dinner, with fruit, usually a banana before bedtime and brushing my teeth.

Gayle Maddie is such a delight. How is she using that bell now?

Mary I can't eat until 1 hour after the thyroid meds, so DH starts his prayers. Sometimes I've gone for an early morning walk before breakfast because it gets so hot if I don't go early. I like prayers around this time of day when I'm tired and really need to rest a while.

After 2 straight days of heavy gardening, this is supposed to be a day of rest to let those achy legs heal. Instead I'm doing a mountain of neglected laundry. Only two more loads to go. Can now change the bed.

Volunteer work at Church took 1-1/2 hour on computer to collect data and make new schedules that I'll put on the Church bulleting board when I go for daily Mass Wednesday morning. One hard hour to find substitutes for is 4:00 pm Friday. I'll go back over to take that hour if no one signs up for it.

We have Mass during the week Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Usually it is the retired folks that are there, but an occasional younger one that works shift work. I really do better on the weeks I add that extra Mass to the usual Sunday one. When Bible study begins this fall, I'll switch to the Thursday Mass because the class begins right after that time.

Smoothie for a meal? I'm with Carol Sue. Like it for a light meal occasionally but really like to chew something to feel satisfied.

I do use plain yogurt with 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon stirred in as a good snack that satisfies the need for food, protein, and treat. Don't need sugar and think sugar ruins plain yogurt that we buy by the quart.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:40 PM   #216  

Just got home ...went to gym for our usual ..did get in some weight machines today. Noticed my movement was much better today, was able to get up the stairs without discomfort and almost back to normal. Even my jogging was better. I haven't had much hip or leg pain for several days now however about 2:30 am I had terrible leg pain, got up and took extra strength ASA which eventually eased it but they still ached some when I got out of bed, but finally went away. I am trying to work more on my posture in case that contributes to it too.

After the gym we went to our dds in Portland to get some plants that have gotten too big for her pots. Her yard is tended by the rental people's gardner, but she likes to plant in pots. Dh is planting them in our yard now. One is a type of lily, very pretty. She gave me one earlier this year like it so now we'll have two.

I didn't do as well on my eating yesterday as I thought I would. Our other kids came over and we sat and chatted a long time and I forgot about eating since I wasn't hungry and my bs was high from the large lunch I had. This morning my bs was still very high. When I eat according to my plan it begins to come down so I have to try to stick to it even in restaurants and when we have visitors.

Sandy/Carol Sue - I haven't been really physically hungry for years it seems. When I say I am hungry, unless my bs has actually dropped a lot which has happened all of about three times, it is just because of habit or I want the taste of something or emotions or something, it is not true physical hunger. I have to say though eating according to this plan I rarely ever feel even that kind of hunger. I was concerned about my bs eating so often as sometimes it's been higher than I felt it should be before a snack, but it really seems to be more stable overall eating this way. It was like that with Medifast too where I ate every 2-3 hours too. So guess for me it is the right way but maybe not for everyone since we are all different...another thing if I wait until I am truly physically hungry, I tend to overeat. The only meal I can have a smoothie is breakfast...otherwise I have to have real food to chew too.

Sandy - I too have one of those meds where you have to wait a while before eating..mine is Nexium for GERD. I am often up about 5 or 6 so take it then if I can so since we get up late 8-9 am, it's had it's time. But sometimes that doesn't happen and then I have to wait. A walk before breakfast sounds refreshing as long as it is not too long. I have a hard time exercising on an empty tummy. On this plan that is the one exception for eating within one hour after wake up...if you are exercising you can wait.

I made a mistake this morning with breakfast...I was thinking the Chocolate BP mocha was a fat loss meal in itself but I was wrong. I realized too late I needed to add something as it said the overall portions were too small. I'm still learning this thing. The mocha had a lots of protein, about one carb serving and some healthy fat. Perhaps I should have added a small portion of fruit. I haven't had any fruit today so sounds good to me now. Lunch today was at Burger King...I got the small regular hamburger and ate about 12 of dh's french fries and that was perfect. Only problem eating fast food always leaves me feeling unsatisfied, but it's almost time to eat again so it'll be ok. How absorbed I am with food!!

Hi Glynne, hi Lynn...hope your day is going well.

Last edited by maryea; 07-27-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #217  

Mary, I remember you mentioning before that your DD lives in Portland. On Sunday there was a program on TV that showed a restaurant in Portland called Helsers on Alberta, or something like that. The show was about breakfast, and this restaurant had some very unusual breakfast dishes. They looked really good! It's all about food for me,too. LOL

I have some day lillies in my yard and a couple of them are wild ones I dug up when we went to DH's family's cottage. They are easy to split, and I split one and gave a piece to each of my step children, as they are from their families cottage. My son-in-law built his driveway over it, and my son moved from the home where he had them planted. I told him to dig them up and take them to his new home, but he said he didn't think the guy who bought the house would want him to dig them up, plus the new house they bought has beautiful landscaping and there's no where to plant it. He could have found a place, IMO.They just don't feel sentimental about things like that. It was very important to me, and I'm am not even part of that family by blood.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-28-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #218  

Good morning GG! I've been very lazy so far this morning. Dh went fishing early this am but I slept in until about 9. Its a nice sunny day 65 already and supposed to get to 86! We had a couple days of slightly cooler weather but now it's building up again. Well at least now it is more time for it, before it was way too early.

I did well on my eating plan yesterday. Most of my bs were much better...often still slightly high but still lots better, however my am bs is still high..higher even than usual. It may be because I am sometimes having my evening snack later than I used to just because that's how the timing works out sometimes. One day too I had two snacks in the evening. I am to eat every 2-3 hrs until one hour before bed. I probably should just go to bed earlier. I had my leftover fish (restaurant) last night...didn't care for it much. I asked the waiter and he said it was haddock, which I thought I liked but this tasted sort of old and slightly tough. I think from now on I'll ask and only order if it's something I know I like, like halibut. I ate most of it just to get a good amount of protein though and I ate a whole med tomato with it. I rarely eat tomato unless it is in a dish...but I do like a fresh tomato sliced and salted. My dad used to put sugar on his...I cannot do that.

I ordered my old mocha mix I like so much from Amazon. Double the price it used to be at Costco. I used it this morning to make my pb mocha frappe I love so much...and I added a little protein and fiber powders.

That restaurant name sounds familiar but I haven't been there, Carol Sue. Looked it up on Yelp and it's got good ratings. Perhaps it would be a good place to take our dd for her birthday lunch next year. I'll ask her about it. Thanks for mentioning it. Portland has lots of good places to eat and I'd like to check more out but we usually just end up eating out over here.

You're a good step-mother, Carol Sue. Seems like most younger people don't care as much for sentiment as past generations. I notice it too. It's like they say they want it but when it comes to actually taking the steps to preserve it they don't. It's just part of the day we live in I guess. I even notice it in myself to some degree. However some young people are not that way too so I guess you can't generalize.

Well I'm so lazy better get to work..

Last edited by maryea; 07-28-2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #219  

Carol Sue I agree with you about having a piece of landscape from family. Our beloved daughter=in-law's family lived with her beloved grandmother, Dorothy. DIL brought lilies of the valley from the farm, to the town home when her mom remarried, then brought some to our home when she was in college with our son. I still have them. When she and our son married and moved part of the lilies of the valley went with her and on to the next house.

We could never keep roses looking good in this area until the yellow knock-out=rose came out. DH keeps it looking great against the orange/red brick of the side yard.

Mary Have you ever put horseradish in your meatloaf? I always have and DH has decided to make it as I did. I used oats instead of breadcrumbs too. I'm sure he will put his twist on it, too.

So pleased to have my morning walk early and met a neighbor who always has her flowers out front looking good. Her name is May and she is near my age and certainly thinks a lot like I do. Fun talking with her and seeing how nice she also has her back yard. Her grandson is the friendly teenager in neighborhood and I bragged on him honestly.

Scale is up, my exercise is up and my eating of sweets is up. Thought I could limit my servings of my favorite ice cream, but . . . . not a chance. My only hope is to keep it out and not get anything sweet when eating out, either. Thank goodness the weather is good so I can get out a be active more often.

Sandy
Old 07-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #220  

Mary, I looked online and found the menu for that restaurant and it looks good, but pricy. The show I was watching was about breakfast, so they were only showing the breakfast items. They had scotch eggs, which I have never had, and after they showed the clip from the restaurant, they made scotch eggs, but baked them instead of frying them. I would love to try them, but DH wouldn't eat them. On some things, I don't like to go through the process to make them if I'm the only one going to eat them. It depends on what it is and how much work it is to make them.

Love2garden, I don't know if I posted this here already, but I broke myself from eating ice cream. Mostly it doesn't taste as good to me as it used to. For a while we were stopping at a Dairy Queen in a nearby town and getting cones and that ice cream is to die for, but lately I've been turning it down. I will probably get one cone before they close for the winter, then I know I can't go back for more. DH buys ice cream for at home but I have been resisting it. Sometimes it's the first bite than sets me off on a binge, so I don't take that first bite. I need to do that with more things. Yesterday, I overate spaghetti. I have loved spaghetti since I was a child. I always say I'm going to eat a small portion and eat lots of meatballs for protein, but I can't stop myself from going back for seconds and thirds. I like to make that for dinner every couple weeks because it is economical, but it's not something I should be eating. DH fed some spaghetti to our dog and now he loves it too. LOL
Old 07-29-2015, 04:02 PM   #221  

Hi everyone...supposed to get to 96 degrees today! Glad we have AC and we don't have to work out in it. Feel sorry for those who do. We went to the gym and I got bored with walking so only walked 1/2 mile then biked for 22 min so I got in my 30 min of cardio. No weight machines today though. Also didn't use the hand bike today. Carol Sue how are you doing with the hand bike? Hope it's working for you.

My weight is stable still at 167. 166 has been my lowest though in the past year so wish I could get down to that at least. I could easily if I'd just stop having these cheat meals so often. Last night we went to the theater using our free tickets through Fandango (remember I won $100 with them?). We saw Jurassic World. It was pretty good but I got kinda bored with the dinosaurs fighting by the end. I thought it was kind of predictable but well made and the acting was good. It is amazing how real the dinosaurs look now. Hadn't been at the theater since Passion of the Christ and I ate my usual snacks not like a diabetic nor someone trying to lose weight. But when I came home I got right back on plan at least. ETA: We were amazed how much theaters have changed!! Perhaps this is a fancy one but we sat in the "living room" with reclining rocking seats with our feet up and a little table on the side in case we wanted to order food/drinks. We just got our own from the concession stand before we went in but the server asked if we wanted to order anything. I asked her whether it was ok for us to be seated there since we weren't ordering and she said oh yes, it is just an option. We felt a little funny about it but it was more comfortable and also very convenient to the restrooms. We felt like we had an adventure. LOL

Today our microwave finally died, so after the gym we went shopping at a couple stores. Want to do some research online before deciding. I want to keep the high wattage but hopefully can get a smaller size...we only use it for heating up food/drinks and I'm tired of it taking up so much precious counter space.

Going out soon to get a manicure and maybe a pedicure since I'm wearing sandals a lot. I don't enjoy pedis because of my sensitive toes but do like the way my feet look when I get them. I am not able to reach or see well enough to do a good job at it myself.

Carol Sue - I don't like to cook for myself either. We do have two nights a week where we often get our own meals though...leftover night and pantry night. Sometimes they are both leftovers and sometimes they are both pantry nights depending on whats available though. Tonight is pantry night and I don't know what I'll eat...sometimes those nights are the worse for my diet but I hope to stay on plan tonight.

Sandy - I love ice cream too..don't dare have it in the house. No, I don't think I have tried horseradish in meat loaf but would think it would be much like using mustard and I do use that when I make a BBQ meatloaf. It would just give it a little more kick. Sounds good to me.

Hi Glynne, Lynn...hope your summer is going well.

Last edited by maryea; 07-29-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:22 PM   #222  

Carol Sue Your method is worth trying. I'll refrain from the first bite of ice cream and keep telling myself how strong I am, I can do this. Also, family agree that it stays out of the house.

Our family has always loved spaghetti and had it each week. Now that DH is cooking, we have more meat. Tonight's was steak, peas, fresh broccoli. All was perfect and delicious. I was so hungry from a hard day out, too.

Mary I'm envious that you can go up steps. Good for you with exercise and weight.

Microwaves have really come down in price and size. We just got one in June after a very old one bit the dust. This one is same size but inside is much larger than our old one.

Really went hard at the gym and spent 30 minutes on recumbent bike, too. Massage helped the ache, but I'm ready to simply watch TV the rest of the evening with early to bed.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:00 PM   #223  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Hot, hot, hot here the last few days ~ but that is to be expected down here in Texas in the summer. Thank goodness for AC in the house and in the car.

Busy all the time it seems here lately ~ maybe a good thing ~ no time to get trouble that way ~ LOL.

I have been making some things on one of those little spool knitting things ~ a piece about a foot long, to put on the handles of our suitcases, so they are easy to recognize when they are on that luggage carousel/baggage claim thing at the airport.

My ears are feeling better than they were (plugged up from the airplane ride). Counting down the weeks until I can get back on my RA meds. I'll try not to keep talking about that ~ you all probably get tired of me whining about pain, but it affects me so, that it is hard sometimes to think of much else.

Still praying for my son and his girlfriend ~ she got layed off last week. Hoping she finds a job quickly. They share the expenses ~ rent and utilities. It takes the both of them to meet the bills, not because they have high expensive bills ~ their incomes are not that big ~ they make enough to meet the bills, but don't have much left over.

I made a smoothie today with one of the mangos Sara gave me. Mango, pineapple slices and a banana, plus some of the juice from the pineapple. It was really good.

Sandy ~ good job at the gym today. Glad the massage helped. Hope you can have a nice relaxing evening. The subject of microwaves came up at our house today. I asked that when the time comes that we have to replace the one we have ~ if we could get one that has the button you push to open the door. The one we have right now, you have to grab the door handle and pull it open ~ when my joints are bothering ~ it is hard to do.

Mary ~ way to go with the ~ almost back to where you were ~ low number. That movie theater you went to sounds like quite some place. We have gone a few times this summer ~ but the ones we go ~ while comfortable, aren't like the one you describe. DH signed us up for summer family deal ~ $1. each to get in ~ a family movie ~ not new ones. I miss the closed caption that I watch everything with at home on the TV. And, at the theater, it is so loud ~ it hurts my ears and I am hard of hearing. It makes me wonder what damage it is causing to those whose hearing is intact.

Carol Sue ~ that is awesome how you have such discipline to stay away from the ice cream. My trick is to try to stay away from it as long as I can ~ I don't keep the stuff I can't resist in the house. It is easier now that DH is on the same page and not bringing it into the house. When I feel like I want some, I get a single serving size ~ just enough for a taste, but not enough to have to eat a whole box so as not to waste. The thing with that is to not let that happen very often. Back along, every time I went to the store, I got something. But DH looks at those reciepets and since we are on this diet, he will know if I've indulged. I don't want to face his comments and eye rolling, so that deters me. I'm not perfect at it, but much better than I was.

Lynn ~ how are you doing? Hope all is well with you.

Dentist tomorrow ~ cleaning and check up. I'd better get off and get the evening routine things done.

Hope you all rest well tonight.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:42 AM   #224  

Gayle, I think part of my determination to stay away from the ice cream is because DH insists on buying it. He feels he has the right to have something in the house that he wants, and I do agree with him. And it is making me stronger by avoiding it. When I lived alone, there was a 24 hr convenience store down the hill from my apartment. If I really craved ice cream, I would go there and buy something out of the single-serve case. It cost more to do it that way, but I ate it and it was gone. Most of the time I would think about going to get some, but then I would think that I had to go out, start the car, drive down there, come back up, and I was not in the mood to go out. Once I am home for the evening I don't like to go back out. Many times I was already ready for bed and didn't want to have to get dressed again.

In the past couple days I have started turning down things DH makes and offers to me. When he makes something for himself, he always makes enough for me, too. Hots dogs at lunch time, fried potatoes, and he makes himself a sandwich in the evening....cuts it in half and offers me half, or cuts it in 4ths and only eats 3/4 of it. It sits there on the plate and calls my name, and I usually pick it up and eat it, rather than have him throw it away. Well, I haven't done that the past couple days. It's a bad habit I want to break. He knows I have a weakness for food. Doesn't that seem like sabotage...or is he just being "nice?" He heartily agrees that I need to lose weight. One time he told me that if I would eat like he eats I would be thin. I told him, "No, if I ate like you eat, I would weigh what you weigh."

I will pray that your son's girlfriend gets a good job.

Sandy, DH does not really like spaghetti but he will eat it as long as I don't make it too often. With pasta, he prefers lasagne, but that's not something I can make on the spur of the moment because I have to buy the ricotta and shredded mozzarella. He also like ravioli. I buy a bag of the frozen ravioli and that's good for 2 meals for us. When he was growing up, his mother cooked meat every night because that's what his Dad wanted. I have steaks in the freezer, and I will make one for him on the nights that I want to eat salmon or talapia. I don't like red meat much and he doesn't like grilled fish.

Mary, if you haven't bought a new microwave yet, consider getting one that goes under the cabinets, above the stove. We have a very small kitchen and doing that saved us a lot of room. It depends on how your kitchen is set up, and requires extra wiring.

DH and I were talking about how hot it is here, in the 90s. And humid! They are always announcing on the news that older people should stay in air conditioning and they have places people can go to be in air condition if they don't have it at home, at senior centers and such. We can't sit out on the porch because it is just too hot, but we remember when we were kids, there was no air conditioning, and we would be out playing in this hot weather and it never bothered us. It's the same with sleeping. We slept back then, in the heat. Now days, I can't sleep if I'm too hot, or too cold. It has to be just right.

Mary and Sandy, both of you make me look bad with all the exercise you do. I have been doing some this week though, trying to get back to doing it 5 days a week like I used to. I couldn't do that if we didn't have air conditioning.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:43 PM   #225  

Carol Sue Your practice of turning down your DH's offer of food you really don't want is such a good one!!! I shall choose to do the same. Funny that my reason for accepting it is often like yours, don't want to throw away food.

As of this hour, I'm choosing what I need to build health and get 25 pounds at least off as efficiently as I can. I wasted July and am at same pounds as I was at end of June.

To change my weight means changin my decisions and my actions. Really pushing hard to increase my steps daily. Back up to over 40,000 a week and pushing to exceed 45,000 steps a week in August. Adding a second day at the gym, too. No real reason not to. AND, keeping ice cream, cookies, etc out of my mouth till at least September when I may have a bit occasionally.

AIR CONDITIONING is such a blessing!!!. Yesterday was the hottest day we've had this week. At least the humidity is down some today, but still hot. Working in house cleaning and have AC lower than usual. TV room at back of the house faces south and west so it has lots of sun in those wonderful big double pane windows. I need it cooler now and have the ability to have this.

I could understand why yesterday would have been dangerous for those elderly and weak. I was in and out of the car many times from 8:30 till 5:30 pm and even under the canopy at gas station, it was way too hot as I ate my lunch. Had to turn on the engine for cool air.

Gayle RA meds that you need so badly but can't have yet are very important to you. You comment all you want about how you suffer without them. We are sympathetic for sure.
Prayers that your Son and his girlfriend are able to get jobs that allow them to remain in decent place to live and even have some surplus. Also for good job for your husband and better one with benefits for you, too. How hard it must be to be working and the RA making life even harder.

Mary Are you tall enough to reach microwave over your stove? I agree with Carol Sue that having that release button to open the microwave is a real bonus on this new one.

Lynn hope all is well with you.

Last edited by love2garden; 07-30-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Closed Thread