Old 10-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #181  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

A pepper shaker! LOL! How did you come up with that idea?

What with eating a whole avocado for lunch, I had a kind of unbalanced day, but my calories are fine.

So, PluckyPear, what motivated you lose weight at this time? My motivation was that "the jig was up" healthwise. Time was running out. I definitely feel better than I did back in June when I started eating better.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #182  

S/C/G: 329/254.6/180?

Height: 5'4"

Hello Ladies!

JojojoLOL what a fun costume and so creative too. I live in an apartment and miss handing out candy to the kidlets coming around in costume. I have not had that experience for years due to living in a condo or apartment complex. I guess the one plus is I am not tempted to eat the treats.

GailMy health is the main reason. My blood pressure is going up and I needed more medication and my knees. I have always been very overweight but my knee problems only started a year ago. I hate feeling debiltated, like I can't do what I could only a year ago. I love avocado by the way and it is very healthy for you.

I need to get more fruit and veg. I usually eat plenty of veg. I went out for fish and chips so used all my WW weekly points for that. I will have a light dinner of cabbage and something. Not sure what yet. I have a huge cabbage to eat.
I did get out for a half hour walk today. I just took a break for my knees as needed. It is chilly here but nice and sunny.
Have a good weekend.
pluckypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #183  
Happy Member

Hello - We live in a suburb of Casper, and if the weather is good at all we will have 50-60 kiddies stop by for Trick or Treatnight. When we first moved into our neighborhood we would have several hundred kiddies stop by, but now we have lots of older, retired people living in our subdivision. I like to answer the door in some sort of costume, it's just part of the fun of Halloween.

My costume? I got the idea several years ago when I saw a couple on-line as salt and pepper shakers. I know my DH would never be interested in having a real Halloween costume, so I went on my own. Maybe next year I will be a salt shaker . . .

Tonight's supper was left-over sauerkraut meatballs, broccoli, sweet potatoes, and a big salad. My DH also had a dessert.

It has been predicted that we will have rain tonight, and I do hope so as it is so dry around here. I have a luncheon meeting at church tomorrow, but a bit of rain won't bother us at all.

Let's keep on keeping on. Actually there is absolutely no alternative!
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #184  

We have eight acres of land around our house. In addition to my fairly level driveway, the area includes a hillside with dog/coyote/ rabbit trails; a small, banked, humpy dirt bike trail, and a big sloping front yard. I spent an hour walking all over the property this morning. I did some driveway laps and some free form walking. I think the uneven terrain makes it harder because I have to keep making small movements to keep my balance. I went way up high on the side of the hill. The dogs had a good time. I was tired when I was done!

I haven't lost any weight in the last few days, but I notice that my clothes are getting looser.

Let's keep at it, one day at a time!
Old 10-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #185  

JojojoSaurkraut meatballs sound yummy. Where did you find the recipe?

GailSounds like you have a lovely place to live. I live in a busy area of Toronto. I live in an area of Toronto called North York, is is more north. lol But it is still busy but not as busy as downtown. I live in a highly populated jewish area, where it is common to see people dressed in a religiously traditional manner. Not everyone just that population. We have some yummy jewish bakeries in the area too, dangerous.

I just made a quiche. It is not bad in WW points plus. I will have a small piece. I am getting ready to watch 'Corrie Street' formerly known as Coronation Street. I used to watch the show every Sunday then got out of the habit as they got rid of so many older folk to bring in more young actors. But I am back into it. It is a British show and all 5 episodes air early on Sunday morning here from 8-10:30 am.
It is raining here.

Another day another day to succeed!
Old 10-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #186  

My favorite British show is Fawlty Towers. LOL. Love those people.

I have been doing my family history. My family came from Scotland via Ontario. One of my grandmother's cousins lived on Beconsfield St. in Toronto.

Ethnic foods are always favorites of mine. To me, diversity of people and cultures is one of the best things about living in the big city. Traffic is the worst thing about the big city!

I am not too sore after all my climbing around yesterday. Maybe I am finally getting in shape.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #187  

GailMy Dad used to watch Fawlty Towers. I have not seen it. But I do tend to like British humour.

I love ethnic foods. Indian, Japanese, Mexican, Persian, etc. And yes traffic is one drawback for sure.

My Father's side of the family has a Scottish background. Beconsfield Street is in the Queen West area. Queen West was considered trendy for quite some time, lot's of punks and such in the 80's and hippies in the 70's. It is more of a different type of trendy now. Great for shopping and dining. Queen West still has an alternative lifestyle feel to it though.

I do not know many of my extended family so that is cool you are working on learning more about your past.

Good night and keep on trucking as they say.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #188  
Happy Member

Sunday's thoughts - Our little salad luncheon yesterday was very nice. I like meals made up of salads as I can always find lots of good food to eat there. We did play a game, and had a good speaker, I came home tired and happy.

Today was church and Bible class in the morning. The rest of the day was just spent quietly here at home.

My cultural background is Swedish, and my DH is German. I did take a class in ethnic cooking years ago at our local Community College, and sometimes I dig out one of the old recipes that we enjoy.

I think I'd better be getting some Halloween candy to pass out to the kiddies on Halloween, which will be here quite soon.

Keep smiling -
Old 10-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #189  

Good Morning.

JoJoJoSounds like you had a lovely Sunday. My DH is Filipino. I am not a fan of Filipino food as I find it greasy. They eat lots of pork and fatty foods. He does not eat that much but we went to a Filipino restaurant before. He does miss some foods like a soup made with blood, not for me. But my Grandfather was British and he ate organ meats too, he loved liver, kidneys, blood sausage and pickled pigs feet. I grew up seeing my Gradfather and Mom eat them and tried them but hated all of those things and still do. But many of my family devoured the steak and kidney pie, I could not stand the smell or taste. But some love it.
When I was a kid my favourite Halloween treats were chips.

What was your favourite? And Gail what was your favourite Halloween treat as a child?

I am not going out for Halloween but am going to see a Community Theatre productions of "Rocky Horror Picture Show". Should be fun.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #190  

Jo, it sounds like you had the perfect fall Sunday. It was hot here again; probably the low 90s.

My favorite Halloween candy as a child were candy corn and orange slices. I still like both of these.

My favorite decadent adult treats are premium ice cream, premium chocolates, and cheese cake. Could I possibly find anything with more calories??? These are treats that I very rarely have, dieting or not. I got fat via mindless eating and oversized portions, not on any specific food catagory. If I can curb the mindless eating, I could probably have as much ice cream as I wanted. On the other hand, I can't say the same about things like potato chips and bread. I will never be able to eat as much as I want of those.

I am at work today and I am making my way through my "chair exercises" and my CDC exercises.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #191  
Happy Member

LOL - My favorite Halloween candy has always been anything chocolate!!! I used to swipe chocolate from the kid's stash, but I gave that up. Now I do occasionally eat a piece of no sugar added chocolate candy.

We got our flu shots this afternoon, so we are all set for the flu season.

But the biggest treat was this morning - we went to Walmart early, and when we came home we found five deer in our front yard. Now, we live in a residential subdivision which is located SW of Casper in a big loop of the North Platte River, and we have always known that there were deer near the river. But this is the first time we have had a group in our front yard. Mule deer are the big ones with big ears. They didn't seem afraid of us, but they certainly wouldn't let us come close either. It was quite a treat to see them uup close and personal. And we didn't have a camera with us, unfortunately.

Let's keep smiling -
Old 10-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #192  

How nice to see the deer! We haven't seen our burro again, but they sure have left a bunch of hoof prints behind.

Yesterday I got too hungry and then ate too much spaghetti and bread. Today, I am prepared for the left overs with a big salad [already made] and a pile of veggies to stir into the spaghetti. There will be no bread.

I walked for a little over an hour this morning. By the end of my walk it was quite warm, but it won't be long now until it isn't warm.

I haven't lost an ounce in the last week.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #193  

JojojoHow lovely to see deer in your yard. I used to summer up north in Sault St. Marie which is just across the border from Michigan. I would stay with my Aunt and bear would often come to the back yard. She would bang pots and they would run. I also saw a Moose at the cottage. I remember blueberry picking and seeing a bear eating berries too. I was a little scared but my cousin said let's just back away and we were fine.

I miss the country.

My favourite decadent snacks are chips and baked goods. I love homemade cakes and pies. I do not bake so I am okay there. I did make a crustless pumpkin pie recently and will make one again. I will eat pop chips now but I can portion those out. I stay away from regular chips or cheesies.

I lost 2.4 at my WI yesterday. Almost 12 pounds since I began a month ago.

I hope you are both having a good evening.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #194  

Outstanding, PP! Doesn't that make you feel wonderful? Keep it up.

One of my nefarious Ontario relatives married in MI, then snuck off to Sault Ste Marie, MI, and thence back to Huron County, Ontario, where he married another woman. The MI family never heard from him again. Maybe they thought the bears got him. LOL. I've never seen a bear close-up.

Yesterday, I bought a bunch of pears and a small container of strawberries. I have eaten most of the berries and they were good.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #195  

Good Morning Ladies.

I have had a good day so far but it is only 10am . I wake up at 6 with DH and get him off to work. I did laundry this morning and the breakfast dishes. So far I ate hot cereal with blueberries and coffee. I made a salad of canned tuna, no fat cottage cheese, onions, lemon juice, pepper and dill. I will eat that soon. I have lunch by 11 am at the latest. I am off to the pool for deep water aqua fitness for 2:15 today. That is an hour. Then I am going for lunch with my sis. I think I will have a falafel. I have tracked it already. Not sure about dinner but I have some options.

How is your day going Gail and Jojojo?

GailInteresting story. Living in the Desert do you have to get imported veg and fruits? This may be a silly question but not sure of what your growing season would be?