Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #271  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

It’s me again! I’ve been out of touch for so long, I needed to do 2 posts to fit in all my personals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post
We're gonna get together (family) at a park at lunch time and have a cookout/picnic. That will be nice and fun.
Hi Gayle,
My DD & SIL and I are going to do this for Mother’s Day. There is a nearby park with a great lake that we can walk around. Then, after our walk, we’ll have our picnic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynard21 View Post
My DH has lost 30 pounds in the past two years and he has challenged me to lose 10 by the end of this year. Guess I need to get serious. I've stayed pretty much the same for a couple of years now.
Hi Lyn,
“Staying the same” is a GREAT accomplishment. I think it is harder to figure out how to “stay the same” than it is to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]
It's beautiful here today, I'm going to hang a load or two of clean clothes out on the line and dig out some weeds in one of my flower beds.
You all have a great day!
Hi Bobbi,
Where are you? How was your Easter? Feeling OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyoyo View Post
Hey GGs,
Usually I’m a very laid-back, casual kind of housekeeper, doing only the bare minimum of housekeeping chores needed to get by. But, every now & then, usually before family dinners, I turn into “hyper-b***h”. Then I start in on a cleaning frenzy, & everyone better stay out of my way & leave me the h**l alone! NCNancy
Hi Nancy,
I can relate to being “laid-back” about cleaning – but NOT getting into a “cleaning frenzy. I have always HATED cleaning. I have someone come in and do floors, kitchen, bathroom, and dusting every other week. My contribution is to make sure everything is neat before she gets here. With 2 cats, I could really use the cleaning every week instead of every other week, but I can’t afford that. Think I’ll just continue to be “laid-back.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3 View Post
We had Easter dinner Saturday night and went out on a date Sunday night...ahhhhh DH made reservations and we had a table next to the fireplace looking out a window across the water. 53 yrs and he can still charm my socks off. Sat talking and enjoying the evening. It was nice.
DS's book is now on sale in India. It is 766 rupees.
Hi Karen,
Your Sunday date sounds WONDERFUL – ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I forgot the name of your son’s book. Please post so I can order.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #272  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Ooops – you two slipped in between my first and second posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Real Age also has a few really good mind booster games to play to keep our memories fit. I play spider solitare and do a couple of crossword puzzles daily to ward off dementia/alzheimers. Hope it pays off.
Hi Bobbi,

I will check out Real Age. Be sure to warn everyone about the addictive-nature of Spider Solitaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
Freda, interesting that you should mention 911 – I spent two weeks at Ground Zero right after the attacks doing grief counseling with firefighters, police, and other first responders. I still get notes from some of them. I have never experienced anything like that – the whole atmosphere was like those videos of third world war zones that you see on the news. I gave my gas mask – or whatever you call those thingamajigs – to my granddaughter, and she has kept it, along with my logo jacket. Maybe someday it will be of historical interest to some of my descendants? She seems to think so. I do have to say that those firefighters – and police – and the people with teams of search dogs and such – were among the bravest folks I’ve ever had the opportunity to work with. Brave – and at the same time, so sad at all the lost lives and devastated families.
Well, on to more recent endeavors…these days, I’m afraid I think more about retiring than I do about getting things accomplished at my job, or even in the community. We’ve been through some tough times as a family – with dh being forced into retirement and the changes that we had to make as a result; the twins being born so prematurely (thank God they’re now thriving!); my daughter (their mom) being diagnosed with MS – and fighting her way into remission through some very stringent dietary changes, exercise/yoga, and sheer will power; my son coming back to Massachusetts to live and his upcoming wedding…oh, lordie, there are so MANY things that it would take a book to document everything, but suffice it to say that I am looking forward with great anticipation to retirement, and although there ARE some things I very definitely will want to pursue, I’m thinking that for the first six months or so, I might just want to happily vegetate and accomplish absolutely nothing whatsoever.
Z
Hi Zoe,

I am now reading a book about the aftermath of 9/11 for one NYC man – Einstein’s Shutter. For those of us who are close to NYC, the psychological terror of that day never ends. I still hesitate EVERY morning when I turn on the news in fear of seeing something terrible.

Yes, you have had a REALLY tough few years. I REALLY admire how you have handled everything. NOTE: vegetating can be fun for a while, but gets REALLY boring. Given your level of activity, I doubt you’ll be vegetating for long.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #273  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

Good Morning GG's Cloudy and cold here today - please please please no more snow!!! It snowed twice last week, and then we had a lovely warm Easter long weekend-go figure. The grape hyacinths and primroses and the few surviving tulips and regular hyacinths are blooming now. Lost most of the tulips and big hyacinths when it snowed last week, the blooms got broken off. Checking my roses on Saturday and it appears that the Graham Thomas is dead too I've had that huge rose for 14 years, it is jus beautiful. We have always bought the true rooted roses, so if it does come back from the bottom, there is no graft to worry about. Our little peach tree has a few blooms coming too Peaches don't usually grow this far north, but this little tree is well sheltered between the shed and the fence- it nearly died a couple of winters ago, but came back from the bottom, and since we grew it from a peach pit-again no below the graft stuff to worry about. It has produced peaches once, the year before it froze so badly. They are a bit small but taste wonderful. Now that you are all bored to tears with Maureen's garden report, I'll head off to work, without mentioning the rest of the fruit and veggie stuff Have a wonderful day Ladies!!!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #274  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
Thanks for all the words of encouragement about the obstinate body!! I guess the true mantra has to be "keep on plodding"! But I again have to say "BAH!"!!

My neck and arm are so sore from these bites. I found a really good pain reliever cream (really good), and that helps. There are no more, and they're very concentrated. No, I don't think I have bed bugs!! Believe me, that was the first thing I thought of and the first thing I searched! They're so pervasive anymore!

Had a nice rain last night. The term is all relative, of course, but for us it was a nice rain! The trees are budding, they hyacinths have finished blooming, the tulips are up... and it's so pretty here!

KarenMO, hope your trip home is uneventful... today is your expected return, yes? Those girls of yours... what can I say?

Lynn, so glad you're feeling better! Bobbi, how are the headaches? PT/Zoe, Freda, Mary, KarenFL, Nancy, Lyn, everyone I missed, have a lovely day!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #275  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Morning Golden Girls!

Donna, I am so proud of you for hanging in there! I agree - BAH, but it beats the alternative.

I posted this story on the diabetes thread but I thought you might enjoy a little story about body image and working on change from my shopping trip last night:

I found lots of wonderful new shirts and tops on my shopping trip last night. I am so grateful that my DIL took me shopping because I simply don't know how to pick clothes. I have spent most of my life holding up a shirt and trying to decide if it will cover me - no clue about what looks good. When they met me at a department store, I was looking at a rack of shirts. She said, "first question: WHY are you looking at the 2x-3x clothes? That is NOT your size anymore!" We laughed and put all the shirts back and went to the regular sized clothes. Weird!

I posted a few days ago about my dismay at seeing a picture of myself on facebook that was taken last summer - and how fat and awful I looked. I plan to put on one of my new tops and have my son take my photo this weekend. I know that I have a long way to go but I think I need a tangible comparison. I will try to post here.

Have a wonderful and productive day
Old 04-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #276  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hello all,

Having a couple days off ~ yippee

I made it through the CPR yesterday. They have made changes to order in which you do things again. When I walked in, there were these garden kneeling pads on the floor ~ the last time ~ they let us stand and do it on a table top. I asked if we had to get down on the floor (that really hurts my knees) and she said that they really want you to do it that way. I said OK, I will try. She came up with a stool though and let me do mine on the table after all (the practice part anyway). When it came time for the real test, I said I would try to do it the right way. I could get down ok, and do the compressions ok while kneeling, but when I had to lean over and do the respirations part I felt like I was gonna tip over and it really hurt my knees ~ you have to be quick and shifting around I would end up off the kneeling pad. I think she could see I was hurting and having trouble, so she let me do other parts of the test on the stool again. Thank goodness. The class was 4+ hours long. The other ladies (younger than me) spent most all of that time on their knees on the floor. I would have been so stiff and hurting today if not for her kindness.

I am off work now until Sunday. My daughter Sara (works for Woodforest National Bank) had to go on a business trip, so DH and I are sharing kid sitting duties. I will go there in the afternoons and stay and feed them supper, then DH will come over and get them to bed and stay over night with them and be there until I come back next afteroon.

On these mornings I am trying to tackle some of the areas here at home that are bugging me. This morning I got my dresser in my bedroom organized. Yippee. When we moved here, stuff got unpacked and just stuffed here and there and not in any kind of organized fashion. Mind you we have been here since '07, but work and other stuff and sometimes, just not using my time wisely ~ here I am finally getting around to getting organized. Better late than never I guess. It feels good to be able to know where my stuff is. (Drives me nuts to know I have something and not be able to find it.) And kind of like Christmas ~ I open a bag that was stuffed under other stuff in the drawer and find some thing I knew I had and had been wondering where it was.

Otherwise, I only get a chance every other weekend ~ maybe ~ if there isn't some family thing going on ~ to be able to tackle this stuff.

I am hoping that when I get back here this evening, that maybe I can do the personals here. It will depend on how hard Maddie works me ~ LOL. She is a pistol

Ok, guess I'd better get off and finish getting ready. Hope you all are having a good day.

Take care
Old 04-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #277  

S/C/G: 250/142/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey GGs
Well, it’s nice to know I’m not the only one with an “other self”. Mary, my SO actually welcomes “her” visits - he says “Good, now we’ll get something done around here.” (To be honest I sorta feel that way too!) The funny thing is, no one who comes to our family dinners even cares how my house looks (if they even notice). They’re here for the food & the company. And, I’m sure I’ll never get my housecleaning on a system, I’m just too lazy, and I’m a procrastinator!

And, I’ve got a bone to pick with this forum! Since when is b***h a bad word??!!! When I put it in my post the other day, & then previewed it, it had been changed to *****. I think all of us females are a little bit b***h, & I, for one, am proud of it!

KarenFL, it’s nice to know couples can still enjoy each other’s company after so many years together. And still have dates! That’s inspiring.

Rie, glad your shopping trip went well (that is what you were saying, right?!). Isn’t it such a thrill fitting into those smaller sizes? And, I still don’t feel “right” going to the regular sized clothing section in stores, I just automatically head for the plus sizes.

Freda, your DGK’s actually said they had too much candy?! You must be teaching them good eating habits. I never would have thought that when I was a kid (or even now!). Hope your nasty weather is past now, we’re still waiting for it to get here (supposed to be tonight).

KarenMO, I hope you’re safely home. That storm looks pretty scary (& it’s supposed to be headed my way).

Zoe, glad you’re finally getting some nice weather - get out those summertime clothes, I want to see pics! You know, climbing steps is supposed to be really good exercise, & you sure did climb a lot of them! With that & all your bike riding, I think you’re going to be pleasantly surprised when you get on those scales. Thanks for the compliment on my cakes. I never can get them to look professional, but I have fun trying. One of my problems is getting myself to stop - I seem to think as long as I’ve got more icing I should use it!

Congrats Maureen (hope you get some springtime weather soon) & Rosey & Sherry on your weight losses! Y’all are doing great. Yay! Yay! Yay! I’m trying to prepare myself for a 1-2 pound gain this week - I’m not eating more, but I am eating higher calorie (leftovers). I figure “hey, it was a holiday", & I should be back on track next week.

Donna, hope you’re feeling better. You sounded awful discouraged, but maybe a little more positive now. Glad you finally got some much needed rain. Don’t let that darned old scale get you down! Remember - it’s a male & can’t always be trusted to know what it’s talking about! And still, KNOWING that, I still get all hung up on those numbers! Way easier to give advice than to take it!

Hey Lynn. You know it sounds like you’ve pretty much got your eating under control. Sometimes I feel like I do too, but I’m really afraid to get over-confident. And, I’m glad to hear there’s someone else here with a laid-back approach to housework (I feel like a slob in comparison to most of you GGs!).

Bobbi, I had to laugh when I read the article you posted about pets “lowering your blood pressure” & “instilling a sense of well-being”. I had just gotten through cleaning up a big mess in my living-room, because one of the cats (SO’s daughter’s cat! not mine!) had jumped to the top of the gun cabinet, & knocked off, & broken the globes of, 3 kerosene lanterns that I kept there! And of course spilled kerosene all over the carpet. I WAS NOT experiencing a sense of well-being, or lowered blood pressure!

Hi Gayle, I hope you plan on getting a little rest while you're off, but it sounds like you're going to be busy, busy! You sound like me when it comes to getting organized, & I don't have any excuse not to be - I don't have a job. And I'm always finding things I forgot I had when looking for something else (but I seldom find the thing I was actually looking for).

Once again, stayed too long & now it’s time to fix supper. Think I’ll have to do something different today, I’m finally getting tired of Easter leftovers! Bye y'all.
NCNancy
Old 04-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #278  

Height: 5'3"

Good day everyone! we went to the gym per usual and it felt good. came home to a house to clean but so far haven't gotten to it. The gym really makes it difficult to get things done here at home as I tend to do computer things when I get home to rest a bit. now it is lunch time and I'm sitting here with a deli meat sandwich (1 oz each turkey and ham) and 21 carrots (yes I counted them). Going to follow this is with my chocolate milk diet drink and I should still be OP...and hopefully FULL!

Last night we went to church and the women's group had a special guest speaker that was such a blessing and inspiration! I was tired and almost didn't go but was so glad I did as usual. My calories were a little on the high side and when I got home I ate some snacks and was concerned I'd gain but I was actually down a little. Today though I am trying to be very careful as my weight commander software says I am tending to go up right now.

Riemontana - I almost cried when I read your post. I am SO happy for you!! I remembered how I felt when I could buy smaller sizes the last time I lost weight. I so much want to experience that again and to stay down this time!

Glynne - oh I remember those CPR classes! They are tiring...on your knees so much. Glad they gave you a break for a while at least. I should take a refresher course as I haven't done CPR for so long and I hope I never have to again, but want to remember how just in case.

Teagranny - Sorry you have lost so many plants! Hopefully you will be surprised and some will come back after all. I once had a little red flower...not even sure what it was. Brought it home and dh planted it by the mailbox. It bloomed so pretty and lasted a long time. Then the next year nothing. Thought it was dead but the next year it bloomed again. Since then nothing. Maybe it's an every year or two? plant!

Zoe - Did you know that today is take the stairs day, or something like that? There was a sign on the stairs at our gym along with a sign near the elevator saying there's no waiting over there (and pointing to the stairs! LOL). I take them up to my workout room and of course down again each time, but today I made a special trip up and down for a little more exercise. I don't feel so good when I get to the top but I can do it. It's not that many though...and there is a resting place between if you need with a window to look out. My "gym" is actually a community center and it is in a beautiful setting with large windows all around. We try to get the bikes near the windows so we can look out while working out.

Zoe - glad you shared about 911. I didn't even know you were a counsellor. That must have been quite an experience but I'm sure you were glad to be able to help. I remember that morning...I had just gotten up...everyone else was still in bed (two kids still at home)...and our oldest dd called and said, "mom, America has been attacked!" I hope and pray nothing like that ever happens again.

Lynn - there are 20 grams of protein in this chocolate drink! In my smoothies I usually get at least 13 grams. Plus I eat a little meat at least once a day sometimes up to 4 oz so yes, I think I get enough protein. I'm a pretty healthy eater over all even though I do like junk too. Glad to see you are maintaining...I should be there with you but you are more disciplined than I am...you and Bobbi. It is taking me a long time to learn to be consistent with my eating, that's my problem.

Well, gotta run....

Last edited by maryea; 04-27-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Edited amount of protein in chocolate drink as got it wrong first time.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #279  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Just a quick post -- we made it home just a while ago (5:00 pm) and it sure feels good! We had heavy rain all through St. Louis and then just rain all day long! Everything looks fine here and the girls are out in the back yard running like crazy!!! Wish I could get them to unload the trailer!!! Be back later or tomorrow!!! WHEW!! I'm tired!!
Old 04-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #280  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening all.......#*$&**##@! Damn....Yesterday I baked sf tartlets and then started dinner and my oven blew up......BLEw UP! This is the 3rd stove I'd had in 11 yrs. The 1st one was dying when we bought the house. It had been thru the no name storm/flood and was harvest gold. The 2nd stove lasted 4 yrs and the oven door locked and wouldn't open. It would have been $500 just for new lock/cp chip. Now this one. So finished dinner on the gas grill and tonight we could not get the gas grill to light.....

I'll be back when i find my sense of humor or I vent enough by kicking the cat.....joke.....don't own a cat.......k3[/B]

Last edited by Karen3; 04-27-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #281  

I am going to try and read some posts tonight before I hit the bed. This is the picture Tim took just a little after we ate some supper. This is a true picture of TIRED!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A picture of tired!.jpg (27.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #282  

I just did the body test on the wii this morning after 13 days of being away. I figured I had probably gained about 5 pounds while on this trip so I was pleasantly surprised to find that the gain is on 3 pounds!! I think I will leave my ticker where it is for right now and see if I can't work real hard and lose that in the next week or so! Wish me luck!
Be back later. Still have to get the rest of the trailer unloaded today and we are supposed to have sunshine so that will be very good!!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #283  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
Just checking in...

Busy day ahead. I think I'm actually going to go to the doc over these spider bites, which now appear to be infected. The pain kept me awake a good part of the night. You know how I feel about going to the doctor.... but maybe I can get a two-for-one and get the leg fixed, too?

I have to get the sprinkler system turned on, get a list of the sprinkler head types in the front, then go buy replacement parts. The LandscapeGod will be here on Saturday to install the new ones, so I shouldn't procrastinate too much longer!

Is anyone watching the Royal Wedding? My ex-SIL and I were going to have a slumber party, wear hats with our jammies, watch, wonder, and mock... I'm not sure we're still going to do it, but it does sound like fun!

Damn scale is still being recalcitrant. Maybe I'll dump it in a trash bin while I'm out and about today?

PT/Zoe, I was impressed with your stair walking. My knees were screaming before I finished reading that! Stairs have always been a problem for me. I always look for a nice elevator, wherever I go ♥.

KarenMO, hope your re-entry is seamless. Rest up!

http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight...unter_20110428

Everyone, hope your day is a good one!

Last edited by jess1; 04-28-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #284  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning all,

I was too pooped last night to do the personals. Haven't been sleeping the best. So, I went to bed early ~ didn't spend too much time online.

The sun is shining this morning ~ love that. Have to go back to the sleep clinic for a follow up to my sleep study I had last week. I hope they have some tricks up their sleeves ~ I am starting into my 3rd year with this C-pap stuff and still having problems. Just finally at the begining of the year they had come out with a new mask that they let me try and thankgoodness it was comfortable. I had been muddling along with one that I had gotten used to, but it was tearing up the bridge of my nose. So, we shall see what their plan is for me now with the info they gathered during my sleep and naps the other night/day.

Karen MO ~ glad you got back home safely. You sure do look tired in that pic. Hopefully you got rested up some last night.

Karen FL ~ sorry about your oven problems ~ how frustrating. Hope your next one lasts better.

Maryea ~ your chocolate drinks sound good ~ glad they are filling for you. You’re doing awesome going to the gym ~ you go girl J

NCNancy ~ that was funny, but at the same time not ~ how your cats did not help lower your blood pressure or give you a sense of well being. CATS!!! Oh, and the cakes were beautiful. Almost too pretty to eat.

Rie ~ Welcome ~ congratulations on the shopping trip and smaller sizes.

Donna ~ sorry that darn scale is not being nice to you. Hang in there. How is the leg pain doing?

Zoe ~ your lunch outside sounded wonderful. Glad you are getting to enjoy bicycling again.

Bobbi ~ thank you for the information you post. How are the headaches doing. Glad the weather is letting you get to hang clothes out. Love the smell of wash that has been hung out on the line.

Lynn ~ glad you’re back. Hope you are feeling better.

Freda ~ hope the rain has let up for you. Wish you could send some down here ~ parts of Texas are having fires because it is so dry.

Sherry ~ congratulations on the pound lost.

Rosey ~ congratulations on your loss as well. Sorry you were missing your family on Easter.

Tea granny ~ congratulations to you too on your loss ~ and for doing your work out tape.

Lyn ~ your walk to the beach and sunning on the rocks sounds wonderful. Glad you got to enjoy that.

Nona ~ welcome ~ your deck project sounds great. How soon before you will get to enjoy it?

Bunti ~ hello ~ hope you are doing well.

**** to anyone I missed.

Guess I'd better quit fooling around and get going.

Hope you all are having a great day.

Take care
Old 04-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #285  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Good morning and hope you all are having calm weather up there. It was sunny here until 5 minutes ago and the sea fog rolled in. It's weird cause you drive 3 blocks in and it'll be sunny again.

The boys say the parts will be in for the stove today. Considering the history of stoves here. I'll bet there will be another new stove within the year. Geepers my 1st washer lasted 20 yrs. My 1st microwave 22years. Does that sound old foogiesh?

Lynn...Have 2 reasons why am uncomfortable posting the name of DS book. We are the only people with the last name in this area and besides he has an alert and when the book is mentioned online he gets a chirp and can read what has been written.....and this is my private space......

Karen...you looked exhausted! But bet you2 are glad you made the trip. Try next time to do it in calmer weather. Amazed that traveling only add 3 lbs. Good job. That is probably just fluid from sitting so much.

We are rolling into summer here. Been in the 90's for past few days with high humidity. Have pointettas and azalas blooming along with armerillas. They were always a lily you forced at Xmas and down here they grow in garden beds and just blooming now. Ollelander and red bottle brush is also blooming. Have picked about 20 tomatoes from DH's plants.

Shhhh but think the laser treatments are helping Dh's shoulder. He can shrugged them and says it feels better. Feet next for the neuropathy!

Got check the freezer for something for dinner that is nukeable or frypanny or crockpotty.....I want my stove backkkkkkkk! karen3
Closed Thread